Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

Post by -PJ- »

nacho wrote: November 29, 2019, 5:16 pm Either Croker to wing, or Leilua to 13 for mine
Ummm.

No and No
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: November 29, 2019, 3:22 pm
afgtnk wrote: November 29, 2019, 3:19 pm Not sure how I feel about this until we get some kind of full confirmation about BJ (apart from his own). I don't see Scott as a winger and he hasn't come here to play at Mounties.

I do applaud the club though for being pro-active in trying to improve the squad and keep it fresh, instead of putting the feet up and resting. If anything, Scott gives us longevity that both BJ and Croker no longer provide.
viewtopic.php?p=1709961#p1709959
I strongly suspect Furner is playing games - not that I blame him, they've got a cap to manage ruthlessly.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Having bj off contract at the wnd of next year really puts the pressure on him to perform. He needs to earn a new deal because he’s apparently been shopped without much interest at his price. Hes a bloke that can write his own cheque with a big season
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders add young gun Curtis Scott... while Ricky Stuart remains keen to entice Jordan Rapana to return

The Canberra Times reports that Raiders coach Ricky Stuart didn't think twice about recruiting Storm back Curtis Scott, while the club reportedly remains hopeful of signing Jordan Rapana after he finishes with Japanese union... but that depends on NRL approval.

"When the scenario put in front of me and we knew we could fit him into our cap, I thought it was a great addition because he is a quality footy player. We're invested into his future."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: November 29, 2019, 6:48 pm I strongly suspect Furner is playing games - not that I blame him, they've got a cap to manage ruthlessly.
I think so too, but if it works out that the club can get by with Beej in the team this year, and Scott playing on the wing for a year and Simo in 14... yeah i wont mind that at all

Ill still be pretty surprised if Beej is here in 2020
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Anyone else thinking of
Cnk
Cotric
Croker
Scott
Bj
Wighton
G.williams
Papa
Hodgo
Horse
Bateman
Whitehead
Tapine

Simmo/ havilli
Sia
Guler
Young/ sutton/ Lui
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Williams is capable of stepping forward to cover Hodgson in the event that he leaves the field, so I'd expect the 'roaming' player at 14, rather than the dummy half cover.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I don't think you can play BJ anywhere except centre or #14 with a licence to wreak havoc.

Turning and chasing rubbers... Fielding bombs reliably... Competing in the air for chip kicks... not his forte... Could see it ending in tears too often.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

So where is Curtis Scott fitting in?

Starting centre? Starting wing? Depth player?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Beej isnt playing anywhere but centre for me
If that's not how you're going to play him then you should offload him because playing him at 14 or wing is a diaster.

Assuming Beej is here for 2020, I think Scott will either play wing with Simo @ 14, or Scott on the wing with Simo @14.

But my money... which is almost always poorly invested, gambling wise... and otherwise... would be on CNK, Cotric, Croker, Scott, Simo being the r1 backline and Beej being elsewhere
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Just refreshed my memory on BJ's contract, contracted to end 2020 and stated a month ago he's not going anywhere just yet - despite being given permission to look elsewhere.

With that in mind, looks like BJ's 100% not going to be here in 2021, Scott will have been signed on a four-year deal as his long-term replacement.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Fair enough, I'd like Joey to finish his last year with a ring tho,
And it has given our squad phenomenal depth for 2020
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Sterlk wrote: November 29, 2019, 9:09 pm Just refreshed my memory on BJ's contract, contracted to end 2020 and stated a month ago he's not going anywhere just yet - despite being given permission to look elsewhere.

With that in mind, looks like BJ's 100% not going to be here in 2021, Scott will have been signed on a four-year deal as his long-term replacement.
Bj was given permission to shop around because his management came seeking a contract extension and the raiders couldnt come to the party for what they wanted. Basically told him we wont stand in his way if he can get it
Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

we've just signed one of the best young centres in the game with no to and fro, who even are the raiders

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

bonehead wrote:we've just signed one of the best young centres in the game with no to and fro, who even are the raiders

There can only be one BYC

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

zim wrote: November 29, 2019, 3:28 pm Damn we look good for next year. I can only get more disappointed from here.
:roflmao :roflmao
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Sterlk wrote: November 29, 2019, 9:09 pm Just refreshed my memory on BJ's contract, contracted to end 2020 and stated a month ago he's not going anywhere just yet - despite being given permission to look elsewhere.

I expect a blistering year from joey in 2020.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: November 29, 2019, 9:28 pm we've just signed one of the best young centres in the game with no to and fro, who even are the raiders

:roflmao

Yeah, ****. A top tier signing, just because we could and now we're literally going to throw him on the pile because we have so many other shiny toys right now.I don't know how to support this team. Feels grubby.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

IMO one of the best things to come out of this is that it almost ensures our Origin/Roos winger stays on the wing.

I expect a better season from Cotric next year, with a bit more stability outside Croker.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Neeeegz wrote: November 29, 2019, 8:41 pm Anyone else thinking of
Cnk
Cotric
Croker
Scott
Bj
Wighton
G.williams
Papa
Hodgo
Horse
Bateman
Whitehead
Tapine

Simmo/ havilli
Sia
Guler
Young/ sutton/ Lui
I reckon BJ for the right wing spot too. With all the carries to help the middle modern wingers do, ala Rapana, along with his ability to break tackles he would be a good modern winger.

By the way, who will be the back up goal kicker in the team now that Sezer has gone, any ideas?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Bj is simply awful on the wing. Did you not see him shift there this year?
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

BJ is definitely not a winger
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Really like our business this off season, particularly if BJ stays.

I think it really illustrates how quickly success and the perception of a successful culture can help in transfer matters.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm not entirely sure any coach would stand Leilua and Scott side by side and pick Scott at centre over Leilua.

Anyhoo, it will be interesting to see what Stuart does next season if our current squad stands. Cotric, Croker, Leilua, Scott, Simonsson and Oldfield provides excellent depth, particularly with Kris and HSS coming through the ranks. Sounds like we're still keen to get Rapana back too.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's almost like we've developed our own sombrero.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

sprintman wrote:A bit off topic but I thought his manager Sam Ayoub wasn’t keen on the Raiders? Has that changed in recent times?
That was during David Furner times, there were articles that Ricky Stuart had a better relationship with Ayoub
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 30, 2019, 8:53 am I'm not entirely sure any coach would stand Leilua and Scott side by side and pick Scott at centre over Leilua.

Anyhoo, it will be interesting to see what Stuart does next season if our current squad stands. Cotric, Croker, Leilua, Scott, Simonsson and Oldfield provides excellent depth, particularly with Kris and HSS coming through the ranks. Sounds like we're still keen to get Rapana back too.
I wonder what coaches decisions would be if you stood croker and scott side by side and asked the same q. Croker outside bj might have some positives
Dont delete this GE
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

There is zero chance of Croker or Leilua playing anywhere but #3 and #4 to start the year. It is up to Scott to force his way in. Stuart sleeps with a photo of Croker next to his bed and BJ is the most devastating centre in the comp. You don’t move either of them from the centres.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: November 30, 2019, 9:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote: November 30, 2019, 8:53 am I'm not entirely sure any coach would stand Leilua and Scott side by side and pick Scott at centre over Leilua.

I wonder what coaches decisions would be if you stood croker and scott side by side and asked the same q. Croker outside bj might have some positives
Pretty sure when the club gave Leilua permission to look elsewhere, Ricky Stuart made his decision pretty clear.

Both Leilua and Scott are right hand centres. That's the choice Stuart has to make.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

simo wrote: November 30, 2019, 8:14 am Bj is simply awful on the wing. Did you not see him shift there this year?
Yeah out of the back 5-6 he would be the worst choice for winger.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Croker is not a winger, my God. His strengths and weaknesses do not translate to being a winger in today’s NRL. He’s a good club centre and integral to our culture, just price him right and we’re set.

BJ is not a winger, he’s too big and slow. Fantastic centre and one of the best in the NRL.

Curtis Scott is a fantastic pickup and has a big future, but he’s not proven himself to be better than our current centres. He’s also 188cm, and strong.
Our backline doesn’t just have depth, it’s now probably the toughest backline to crack in the NRL. If Simo and Oldfield miss out, I think they could both make about 50% of the first grade teams in NRL.

If we are currently within the cap and can keep BJ, we have an incredible roster with depth in key spots at a time we are genuine contenders. Outstanding.

If BJ does go, we still have quality backs but we free up cash which can be used.
Win/win situation here.

I think Manly and Storm have a really strong middle and are also contenders, and I think that is our Achilles heel. If Papa goes down for any period we look really weak. We are relying on a few young blokes making big strides again in 2020. Hopefully that happens but it’s a risk. We can’t keep relying on Papalli playing 70 minutes at Prop.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

BJ will be gone IMO.
I expect the Tigers will push for him if they can’t get JAC from Melbourne.

I think the club will target a middle forward if BJ leaves.

Papa was carrying too much of the load at the end of 2019.
Last edited by GreenMachine on November 30, 2019, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Geez I'd love to have JAC in this side. He'd be brilliant
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: November 30, 2019, 11:35 am Geez I'd love to have JAC in this side. He'd be brilliant
Me too, but I think his move is more personal- to return to Sydney.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Beejay wrote: November 30, 2019, 11:23 am Croker is not a winger, my God. His strengths and weaknesses do not translate to being a winger in today’s NRL. He’s a good club centre and integral to our culture, just price him right and we’re set.

BJ is not a winger, he’s too big and slow. Fantastic centre and one of the best in the NRL.

Curtis Scott is a fantastic pickup and has a big future, but he’s not proven himself to be better than our current centres. He’s also 188cm, and strong.
Our backline doesn’t just have depth, it’s now probably the toughest backline to crack in the NRL. If Simo and Oldfield miss out, I think they could both make about 50% of the first grade teams in NRL.

If we are currently within the cap and can keep BJ, we have an incredible roster with depth in key spots at a time we are genuine contenders. Outstanding.

If BJ does go, we still have quality backs but we free up cash which can be used.
Win/win situation here.

I think Manly and Storm have a really strong middle and are also contenders, and I think that is our Achilles heel. If Papa goes down for any period we look really weak. We are relying on a few young blokes making big strides again in 2020. Hopefully that happens but it’s a risk. We can’t keep relying on Papalli playing 70 minutes at Prop.
I think youre wrong. Saying the same thing over and over doesnt make it true. Croker does have the tools to be a great winger. Especially in this side.
Dont delete this GE