Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Peter
Jason Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by Peter »

Luciano Leilua just signed with the Tigers. So could BJ be heading there next? Hopefully not.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've never really understood the link between the two. Have either of them ever said this is a thing?

I think Joey has said (through his manager) that he's looking for a contract extension on good money. He'll be driven by the fear of knowing he's had a serious injury and, at almost 28, he's not getting any younger.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 18, 2019, 1:29 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 18, 2019, 6:43 am Good point about the Rapana money. Scott is a hell of a depth player, especially on the sort of money he was on at the Storm (reportedly $500k per season). That's a lot of cash tied up in our centres.

We'd be crazy to let Leilua go if we can afford to keep him. I'm just interested in what the plan is with Scott. Maybe the Storm were willing to carry some of the freight for 2020 and we expect him to slot into Leilua's position in 2021?

I also suspect the Raiders still won't stand in Leilua's way if his manager finds him a good extension elsewhere. There were obviously a few clubs interested in throwing big money at Mitchell, so I suspect those same clubs may also be interested in a player like Leilua, once the Mitchell thing is sorted.
I think you're on point. The way Stuart raved about having an outside back on the bench for the final quarter of last year we can safely assume that'll be the line of thinking. Scott in 14 makes the most sense I guess, with a view to taking BJ's spot in 2021.
Scott is aiming for Origin. No way he’s coming here to play wing or 14.

I’m a massive BJ fan and want him to stay. But I think this isn’t so much swapping Scott for BJ but accepting BJ is going and getting a top replacement for him.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Curtis Scott is staying at Melbourne Storm. Another Player Manager driven media scrum.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

BJ wrote: November 19, 2019, 7:44 am Curtis Scott is staying at Melbourne Storm. Another Player Manager driven media scrum.
I would’ve agreed except Ricky has been quoted as saying he’s keen. Maybe he’s driving up the price for the Storm?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: November 19, 2019, 7:44 am Curtis Scott is staying at Melbourne Storm. Another Player Manager driven media scrum.
Source? It looked to be still on the cards an hour ago

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/scott-urge ... 4c0a03dd85
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Hey BJ, Where do you pull these Bull rumors from? If you are going to post something like that at least say where you got your information from? Cause Stuart would not come out publicly and endorse a player like he did with Scott unless he is very close to signing with us in my opinion.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: November 19, 2019, 7:47 am
I would’ve agreed except Ricky has been quoted as saying he’s keen. Maybe he’s driving up the price for the Storm?
At the same time driving down the price for Joey. #Rickrolled.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Ruben Daley wrote: November 19, 2019, 6:34 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 18, 2019, 1:29 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 18, 2019, 6:43 am Good point about the Rapana money. Scott is a hell of a depth player, especially on the sort of money he was on at the Storm (reportedly $500k per season). That's a lot of cash tied up in our centres.

We'd be crazy to let Leilua go if we can afford to keep him. I'm just interested in what the plan is with Scott. Maybe the Storm were willing to carry some of the freight for 2020 and we expect him to slot into Leilua's position in 2021?

I also suspect the Raiders still won't stand in Leilua's way if his manager finds him a good extension elsewhere. There were obviously a few clubs interested in throwing big money at Mitchell, so I suspect those same clubs may also be interested in a player like Leilua, once the Mitchell thing is sorted.
I think you're on point. The way Stuart raved about having an outside back on the bench for the final quarter of last year we can safely assume that'll be the line of thinking. Scott in 14 makes the most sense I guess, with a view to taking BJ's spot in 2021.
Scott is aiming for Origin. No way he’s coming here to play wing or 14.

I’m a massive BJ fan and want him to stay. But I think this isn’t so much swapping Scott for BJ but accepting BJ is going and getting a top replacement for him.
We're putting a lot of faith in Williams as a creator if that's the case, as we wouldn't really have any attacking weapons in our 3/4 line.

Either way looks like it is going to fall through. If the Storm want to keep him then the NRL will bend over backwards.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:
Source? It looked to be still on the cards an hour ago

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/scott-urge ... 4c0a03dd85
I obviously can’t give sources. As many GH long term people know over the years sometimes it’s accurate, sometimes it’s not.

The funniest thing is the totally made up and crazy BJ Mole scoops are often taken more seriously than the real ones.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

The only way i'd be on board with moving BJ along is if it provides the money to recruit a very promising middle forward.

BJ is a strike centre, arguably the best there is. Curtis Scott is a good player with plenty of potential, but I'm not keen on losing probably the best centre around unless we fix our biggest weakness, which is Middle depth and someone to cover Papalli if he ever misses games.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 19, 2019, 6:29 am I've never really understood the link between the two. Have either of them ever said this is a thing?

I think Joey has said (through his manager) that he's looking for a contract extension on good money. He'll be driven by the fear of knowing he's had a serious injury and, at almost 28, he's not getting any younger.
It's a bit like the Dogs chasing Sezer like he's the last half on earth myth. It is cool that one got a new life with the Foran injury though haha.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: November 19, 2019, 9:05 am
Ruben Daley wrote: November 19, 2019, 7:47 am
At the same time driving down the price for Joey. #Rickrolled.
Clever. Maybe he’s telling the same thing to Croker and Cotric too? Could be the greatest cost-saving rumour of all time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cameron Smith urges Curtis Scott to continue Melbourne Storm career as Canberra Raiders circle

Melbourne NRL skipper Cameron Smith is hopeful centre Curtis Scott will stay with the Storm after working so hard to win back his starting centre role.

"I'm not too sure about Curtis' personal situation at the moment and his thoughts on playing with the Storm next year, but my understanding is that he's contracted for 2020. With Will Chambers now going to Japan, it's the perfect opportunity for him to cement that spot.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/scott-urge ... 4c0a03dd85

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... sljpu5efgz
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

There is another story in the SMH talking about Smith playing half back next year and it suggests Scott to Canberra is a fait accompli and will be finalised in the coming days.

Cameron Smith in line for shock switch to halfback for Melbourne Storm

The Melbourne Storm are considering making one of the biggest positional shifts in NRL history by switching Cameron Smith to halfback.

The Storm need to shed at least one player to be salary cap compliant next year. Scott’s move to the Raiders is expected to be finalised in coming days, while Croft may also exit despite initial talks with Brisbane breaking down.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/smith- ... 53c42.html
Last edited by greeneyed on November 20, 2019, 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Site guidelines require a link
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

sprintman wrote: November 18, 2019, 6:41 pm Just in that the Roosters have wiped Latrell. Only Tigers and Cowboys left it seems.
Shows why they are successful in my opinion. They refuse to pay overs and if he doesn’t want to be there then they move on. We all know they will get a quality replacement, they already have some coming through.

I could imagine this forum if we recruited someone like Brett Morris. But in the end it was a master stroke. Very experienced played on small money who they knew would do the job in the finals.

I thought B Morris had a great grand final.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bay53 wrote:There is another story in the SMH talking about Smith playing half back next year and it suggests Scott to Canberra is a fait accompli and will be finalised in the coming days.

Cameron Smith in line for shock switch to halfback for Melbourne Storm

The Melbourne Storm are considering making one of the biggest positional shifts in NRL history by switching Cameron Smith to halfback.

The Storm need to shed at least one player to be salary cap compliant next year. Scott’s move to the Raiders is expected to be finalised in coming days, while Croft may also exit despite initial talks with Brisbane breaking down.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/smith- ... 53c42.html
I suggested this over 12 months ago. Catchup Bellyache.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Good to see Melbourne still haven’t sorted out their halfback problems and refuse to develop one from scratch.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I thought Craig Bellamy could create star halfbacks from the dust of the earth and the sweat of his brow.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Bay53 wrote: November 19, 2019, 9:18 pm
sprintman wrote: November 18, 2019, 6:41 pm Just in that the Roosters have wiped Latrell. Only Tigers and Cowboys left it seems.
Shows why they are successful in my opinion. They refuse to pay overs and if he doesn’t want to be there then they move on. We all know they will get a quality replacement, they already have some coming through.

I could imagine this forum if we recruited someone like Brett Morris. But in the end it was a master stroke. Very experienced played on small money who they knew would do the job in the finals.

To be fair the raiders took a hard line approach with boyd, paulo and austin... clearly it paid off for us this year. It shows, to be successful you need to find value for money even if it means moving on some pretty established players
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think the forum would've been happy with Morris if we also signed an English international winger at the same time.

As you said the Roosters can easily replace or more often upgrade anyone they lose. It's not exactly genius stuff.
Last edited by edwahu on November 20, 2019, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

FROG wrote:

To be fair the raiders took a hard line approach with boyd, paulo and austin... clearly it paid off for us this year. It shows, to be successful you need to find value for money even if it means moving on some pretty established players
I seem to recall all three of those players being offered contracts with our club and turning them down.... and for that we thank them. Hardly a hard line approach.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: November 20, 2019, 5:43 am

I think the forum would've been happy with Morris if we also signed an English international winger at the same time.

As you said the Roosters can easily replace or more often upgrade anyone they lose. It's not exactly genius stuff.
Good point. Morris was a winner, Hall was a dud. They got a little bit lucky there.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote: November 20, 2019, 7:07 am
FROG wrote: To be fair the raiders took a hard line approach with boyd, paulo and austin... clearly it paid off for us this year. It shows, to be successful you need to find value for money even if it means moving on some pretty established players
I seem to recall all three of those players being offered contracts with our club and turning them down.... and for that we thank them. Hardly a hard line approach.

...isn't that what happened with Latrell Mitchell? Was offered a contract and opted to test the market? Lol
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

As I said at the time Morris would have been a good signing. Thankfully it worked out in the end.
Would have been a very different lineup for us in 2019 if he ended up coming given when he signed and when our dominoes fell into place.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 19, 2019, 11:19 pm I thought Craig Bellamy could create star halfbacks from the dust of the earth and the sweat of his brow.
We still doing this guys?
Really?

FWIW Cam Smith has played halfback for the storm inside the 20 for the last 2 years. Especially in big games.
This wont be a huge systematic change for them
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Going to be a great change for us though. Croker and Wighton could step him in their sleep.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Smith at halfback... I can't see it working.

The whole point of Cam Smith is he has no real weapons but he just makes the right decisions and refs the game. At halfback, someone else makes the first decision so you reduce half of Smith's upside and get a half with a nice passing game, no great shakes running game, no speed, not a noted kicker. Fire away Melbourne, fire away.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: November 20, 2019, 9:21 am
Seiffert82 wrote: November 19, 2019, 11:19 pm I thought Craig Bellamy could create star halfbacks from the dust of the earth and the sweat of his brow.
Really?

FWIW Cam Smith has played halfback for the storm inside the 20 for the last 2 years. Especially in big games.
It will defensively.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: November 20, 2019, 9:31 am
Really?

It will defensively.
Yeah that's going to be an interesting aspect of this. I assume that the other Smith will be playing hooker and it wouldnt stun me if Cam Smith defends in the middle with the other Smith defending at halfback.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Really?
To be fair, Bellamy's a pretty ordinary coach, he just got EDIT by signing once in a generation players Smith, Cronk, Inglis and Slater.

I predict the Storm will be bog ordinary once Inglis goes to Souths.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I don't know who's more overrated. Bellamy, Robinson or Rickman.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I mean, once Slater retires.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wait, wait... once Cronk goes to the Roosters I expect the Storm to be garbage, and Cameron Smith is getting old.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well... they got lucky this year with some of their wins, but I think once Cam Smith retires they'll have nothing left.

It's not like *checks notes* Craig Bellamy could create star halfbacks from the dust of the earth and the sweat of his brow.