Jarrod Croker set to become Raider for life after signing new four-year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Re: $7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by Roy Rover »

greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2020, 9:46 am $7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders following Jack Wighton’s retention

Canberra is now readying to nail down star outside backs Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric to long-term deals worth a combined $4.5m. Canberra hope to be in a position to announce Croker’s retention as early as next week, Cotric shortly after.

Croker would seek a deal up to four seasons — the final year may be incentive based — with Cotric yet to determine whether he would want a deal spanning two, three or four years. Croker is worth around $600,000 a season, Cotric about $500,000 a year.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 594aa8a806

https://www.zerotackle.com/raiders-duo- ... ays-52416/
Before people get upset about the 600k Toots would also be eligible for this (see below from the NRL site) so he'd really only count as 400k towards the cap.

$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: $7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by LastRaider »

afgtnk wrote:600k for Jarrod Croker?

Christ almighty, that is massive overs if true. Blows that whole 'he's on the cheap' myth peddled on here right out of the water. Wouldn't get anywhere near that elsewhere.
Agree massive overs!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Roy Rover wrote: February 17, 2020, 11:36 am
greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2020, 9:46 am $7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders following Jack Wighton’s retention

Canberra is now readying to nail down star outside backs Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric to long-term deals worth a combined $4.5m. Canberra hope to be in a position to announce Croker’s retention as early as next week, Cotric shortly after.

Croker would seek a deal up to four seasons — the final year may be incentive based — with Cotric yet to determine whether he would want a deal spanning two, three or four years. Croker is worth around $600,000 a season, Cotric about $500,000 a year.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 594aa8a806

https://www.zerotackle.com/raiders-duo- ... ays-52416/
Before people get upset about the 600k Toots would also be eligible for this (see below from the NRL site) so he'd really only count as 400k towards the cap.

$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game
That total is across the club, not Croker by himself.

Regardless, an allowance like that shouldn't mean you pay a player more - he'll still be earning 600k, which again is massive overs both for his position and his ability IMO.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Yeah that’s effectively a cap top up and weve got paps and wighton on the books so its a non factor here.
Id imagine the interest from rivals is low given it would take too much to pry croker away from canberra where he has so much of his life settled. Its strange the club would pay anything near that price knowing that there will easily be a kickback role for him at the club after he retires
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Keep in mind as a long term club captain, Croker's salary would cover more than just playing football. He's also one of the top centres in the game despite what a few special individuals on this forum believe. $600k for such a reliable commodity both on and off field is by no means a stretch. Dugan, Bird, Darius, Mbye, Gagai all on much bigger coin.

One surprise is the length of the deal. 4 years for a 29yo back is risky. I did note in the article that his last year is more incentive based, which I makes more sense.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

600k on a 9.8mil cap is 6% of the cap. That's very reasonable for a player of his quality. You add in the stuff he does for the club as a captain and community figure and the fact some of that money is likely to be cap exempt, it's a slam dunk.

But it is clear which direction this thread is headed. *yawn*
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I have no issues with Croker getting paid.

One club man, top tier centre and points scorer for the club.

Not to mention his leadership which has played a role in our culture shift.

The club's "fork in the road moment" was punting douche bags like Dugan and Ferguson and betting long on the likes of Croker.

It's paying dividends now and I have no doubt well see Scott rehabilitate here much like Wighton did last year and fulfil his talent.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Yep considering he's captain and what he does off the field, I have no issues with 600k. Just worried about 4 years, even if it's 3yrs + 1yr incentives. Would've preferred 2 years and then assessed from there.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I must be the only one not willing to pay 500k for Cotric. He definitely had his worst season (in my opinion - 4 try as a winger is terrible) and everyone seems to pine for him. Had an amazing debut season and hasn't done much since. Oh well, the media loves him so he continues to be picked for country and origin. :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, Croker is crap. Massive overs. Yawn.

He'd be on the equivalent of ~$550k under the cap (after taking up a slice of the junior/long serving player allowance). Seems reasonable when Taser Boy Scott is reportedly on ~$450.

The club seems to be doing quite a good job managing this salary cap thing. I'll leave it to them to sort out.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

SeeBee101 wrote: February 17, 2020, 1:48 pm I must be the only one not willing to pay 500k for Cotric. He definitely had his worst season (in my opinion - 4 try as a winger is terrible) and everyone seems to pine for him. Had an amazing debut season and hasn't done much since. Oh well, the media loves him so he continues to be picked for country and origin. :shock:
Fair to question it as $500k makes Cotric one of the highest paid wingers in the game. Keep in mind though he's a current Australian player. If we're not paying him $500k you can be sure somebody else would be. While his 2019 season for us didn't quite meet expectations I have every confidence he will play up to his contract value in 2020.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

500k does make him quite the expensive winger. But when you factor in that he also gives you high quality cover for centre and fullback, he does have a high value in the squad
Dont delete this GE
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Hey boys, want to sign a centre that'll go down in history as being the leading try scorer, point scorer, and potentially retire as having played more games than anyone else for your club? He'll likely hold on to every record until the world melts into the sun?
He'll probably end up retiring as the highest point scorer in the history of the code?

What do you think? He'll also lead us to a grand final, have a significant role in changing the culture of the joint away from when we signed guys like David Howell?

It sounds pretty decent. What do you want to pay? towards the middle of his career because he's only just about 30 years old and has plenty of years service?

Oh, he'll also not cause an issue off the field, is as loyal as they come and is one of our own?

600k on the books but you'll get discounts because of the loyalty etc?
Sounds a pretty good deal.

What? Oh you mean Croker? No no no!!

The bloke is a legend. I love the fact that it's likely Toots and Wighton will finish as one club players - not many clubs in this decade will be able to say the same thing.

I'll take that culture thanks - be proud of what you've got.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

When you have the best players in specific postions you have to expect them the be among the highest paid in those roles. Rankings are subjective but you can easily say with have a Top 5 player at Fullback, Wing, Centre, 5/8, Back Row, Hooker and Prop. Accordingly you're going to have a fair chunk of your cap tied up in those guys.
Last edited by Northern Raider on February 17, 2020, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

SeeBee101 wrote: February 17, 2020, 1:48 pm I must be the only one not willing to pay 500k for Cotric. He definitely had his worst season (in my opinion - 4 try as a winger is terrible) and everyone seems to pine for him. Had an amazing debut season and hasn't done much since. Oh well, the media loves him so he continues to be picked for country and origin. :shock:
He spent a fair bit of the season at centre... but yeah, not his best try scoring season.

Completely disagree with you about the quality of Cotric's season though. I rewatched 2019 over the off season and he was very, very good. A lot of tackle busts. A lot of powerful runs which set up sets or lead to points later. Starting to really get physical in defence. Very few errors or missed tackles compared to others in the position. Solid.

Not quite sure who you'd rather see in his origin and test berths, considering who the incumbents previous and other candidates were... If you think Roberts and Ado Carr are better options then... ok. Fergo? Duges? More Morrises? He was picked on the basis of backing up quality seasons at a successful club with more solid showings.

If media likes him too, then great, we have a star. Sure beats the years when Tonguey was out biggest name player. The media will be getting on board someone, it's better for the club when it's us.

It does show how remarkable his first 2 seasons were, that he can have a year like that and people note that he was still well short of his best.

First year that he's had to deal with a few injuries + origin involvement. Not his best year, strangely given all he achieved. But still a good season imo. And we know he can be even better. Why on earth you wouldn't want to lock down an Origin winger, who trains and acts like a pro, for 50k more than Curtis Scott is on? For less than Ado Carr wants?

Fair go.
Last edited by BadnMean on February 17, 2020, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

$600k for Croker ?

I'm a little shocked by that I must admit..seems a lot.

Cotric..get it done !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

-PJ- wrote:$600k for Croker ?

I'm a little shocked by that I must admit..seems a lot.

Cotric..get it done !!!
Yep get Cotric done. He is only 21 and playing at top level.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

An Aussie rep winger is worth every cent of $500k. He had an injury, suspension and 'positionally' interrupted season last year. Hopefully with a bit more stability this season we'll see him as back to his best.

Makes good yards on kick returns, is safe in defence and can bust tackles. Can also cover centre if required. $500k seems reasonable value, especially when we aren't paying premium dollars on our spine players.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

$600k for Croker?? I wouldn’t EDIT
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The long term allowance can't be used as a justification for Croker as from what I gather that's a 1 per team deal. We could use that on Paps. Crazy to use that as rationale to cut 200k off Croker's deal.

I think it's probably about 25% over his market value but I get that you probably receive an extra $100k for the captaincy gig. When it's all said and done he's on a great deal here from his perspective, but he also lived up to it last year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Interesting to note outside fans from 90% of other clubs saying they'd take him in a heartbeat to improve their current centre stocks... Let's say he walks into conservatively 10-12 other NRL teams right now. Would they be willing to offer 450-500k to get him? Some no, some yes. But if even a couple will, that's the rate. Add in what slice of the loyalty bonus and captains extra kick for responsibility/duties and it's probably not so far overs. You could quibble over 50k?

Plenty also wishing their club had an 80% goalkicker at all- let alone one who could play footy too. Some clubs dropped multiple games last year off the back of no good goal kicker... 4 points on last years ladder makes or breaks a whole season... Is that worth that extra 50k...

Anyway, it wouldn't be the off-season without a Croker controversy. Came late this year. Bloody climate change.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Love4Noa wrote: February 17, 2020, 2:50 pm Hey boys, want to sign a centre that'll go down in history as being the leading try scorer, point scorer, and potentially retire as having played more games than anyone else for your club? He'll likely hold on to every record until the world melts into the sun?
He'll probably end up retiring as the highest point scorer in the history of the code?

What do you think? He'll also lead us to a grand final, have a significant role in changing the culture of the joint away from when we signed guys like David Howell?

It sounds pretty decent. What do you want to pay? towards the middle of his career because he's only just about 30 years old and has plenty of years service?

Oh, he'll also not cause an issue off the field, is as loyal as they come and is one of our own?

The bloke is a legend. I love the fact that it's likely Toots and Wighton will finish as one club players - not many clubs in this decade will be able to say the same thing.

Underrated post ^ Well said :clap:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Love4Noa wrote: February 17, 2020, 2:50 pm Hey boys, want to sign a centre that'll go down in history as being the leading try scorer, point scorer, and potentially retire as having played more games than anyone else for your club? He'll likely hold on to every record until the world melts into the sun?

Been a while since Ive seen you on here old friend.
Very well said. :cmon
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: February 17, 2020, 12:51 pm 600k on a 9.8mil cap is 6% of the cap. That's very reasonable for a player of his quality. You add in the stuff he does for the club as a captain and community figure and the fact some of that money is likely to be cap exempt, it's a slam dunk.

Werent you the same numpty cheering the decision to pay 400k for the tigers to take Leilua for the year for 200k?

Alan Tongue is a great clubman and community figure perhaps he should be on 600k, im sure you could get ten good minutes out of him still.

TBH I am not against croker on 600k next season, that seems reasonable enough for a top tier centre who is also a quality goal kicker, my problems are as follows:-
- if the way he plays, he slows down post 30 and we still have him for soo many years.
- he has another **** year of goal kicking, a big part of that 600k is his goal kicking, but last year he was average in that department, if he does not go back to being an elite goal kicker imo its to much, that said I am happy enough to take the punt on the number but not the years.

These guys are footy players first and foremost so they should be paid for what they do on the footy field whether that be 1M or 150k.

Cotric on 550k I would not pay, I like wingers but if no one is paying ado carr that much, cotric should not be being paid that much either...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Some of these recent articles suggesting the best wingers in the game are struggling to command 600k is absolutely mind boggling.

It is one of the most important positions in the game. If you get yourself a star who thrives under pressure, saves and scores points and makes great metres from their own end you can then skimp on your forward pack. That's essentially what we've done for years having Leilua, Rapana and then Cotric.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

$7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

julian87 wrote:Some of these recent articles suggesting the best wingers in the game are struggling to command 600k is absolutely mind boggling.

It is one of the most important positions in the game. If you get yourself a star who thrives under pressure, saves and scores points and makes great metres from their own end you can then skimp on your forward pack. That's essentially what we've done for years having Leilua, Rapana and then Cotric.
But they’re not generally play makers. They create the hay. Wingers generally finishers and do a bit of tough stuff early in a set. Props are key too, but they do not get big bucks. If Jack Wighton is on $850,000, I wouldn’t be paying a winger any more than $500-600k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

papabear wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:52 am
Botman wrote: February 17, 2020, 12:51 pm 600k on a 9.8mil cap is 6% of the cap. That's very reasonable for a player of his quality. You add in the stuff he does for the club as a captain and community figure and the fact some of that money is likely to be cap exempt, it's a slam dunk.

Werent you the same numpty cheering the decision to pay 400k for the tigers to take Leilua for the year for 200k?

Alan Tongue is a great clubman and community figure perhaps he should be on 600k, im sure you could get ten good minutes out of him still.

TBH I am not against croker on 600k next season, that seems reasonable enough for a top tier centre who is also a quality goal kicker, my problems are as follows:-
- if the way he plays, he slows down post 30 and we still have him for soo many years.
- he has another **** year of goal kicking, a big part of that 600k is his goal kicking, but last year he was average in that department, if he does not go back to being an elite goal kicker imo its to much, that said I am happy enough to take the punt on the number but not the years.

These guys are footy players first and foremost so they should be paid for what they do on the footy field whether that be 1M or 150k.
I wasnt cheering the decision. In fact i said a number of times that i'd rather we not do it, i wanted Beej in this team to make a run at the title.
I do understand why the club did it though. So no idea what the actual **** you're talking about.

I share yours and others concerns about the years. But i dont really believe it will matter, i think we're going to see a lot of this, with aging players getting longer deals at clubs they've been at a long time... We'll call it the Sam Burgess rule... if Croker slows down, by then you're probably talking about the games greatest point scorer, hopefully a premiership winning captain and a one club player, it wont take too much arm twisting to get him medically retired
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Given how highly the club rates Croker - we should be thankful it isn't more than $600k!

Still wish we'd kept Joey but. You get a gun centre, middle forward, intimidating attacking weapon, all rolled into one.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: February 18, 2020, 11:23 am
papabear wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:52 am

I wasnt cheering the decision. In fact i said a number of times that i'd rather we not do it, i wanted Beej in this team to make a run at the title.
I do understand why the club did it though. So no idea what the actual **** you're talking about.

I share yours and others concerns about the years. But i dont really believe it will matter, i think we're going to see a lot of this, with aging players getting longer deals at clubs they've been at a long time... We'll call it the Sam Burgess rule... if Croker slows down, by then you're probably talking about the games greatest point scorer, hopefully a premiership winning captain and a one club player, it wont take too much arm twisting to get him medically retired
If I could be bothered I would read through thread and repost all your garbage from there.

However, I can not be bothered.

But one day I will be bothered.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

julian87 wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:58 am Some of these recent articles suggesting the best wingers in the game are struggling to command 600k is absolutely mind boggling.

I agree with your sentiment (in modern NRL wingers are two of the more important players inside your side outside of your spine), but if that is what the market is, well you dont pay overs just because you believe the market is wrong.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: February 18, 2020, 11:45 am Given how highly the club rates Croker - we should be thankful it isn't more than $600k!

Still wish we'd kept Joey but. You get a gun centre, middle forward, intimidating attacking weapon, all rolled into one.
No question BJ is a complete weapon when he's rolling. The issue has and always will be consistency. He has that rare talent of being both you best and worst player in a single game.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

papabear wrote: February 18, 2020, 11:59 am If I could be bothered I would read through thread and repost all your garbage from there.

I never "cheered" the decision to release Beej, i said time and time again i would keep him if the decision was mine.
So put up, or stop being a pissy little bitch.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: February 18, 2020, 12:36 pm
papabear wrote: February 18, 2020, 11:59 am If I could be bothered I would read through thread and repost all your garbage from there.

I never "cheered" the decision to release Beej, i said time and time again i would keep him if the decision was mine.
So put up, or stop being a pissy little bitch.
ok, I challenge you to a duel.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: February 18, 2020, 12:38 am Interesting to note outside fans from 90% of other clubs saying they'd take him in a heartbeat to improve their current centre stocks... Let's say he walks into conservatively 10-12 other NRL teams right now. Would they be willing to offer 450-500k to get him? Some no, some yes. But if even a couple will, that's the rate. Add in what slice of the loyalty bonus and captains extra kick for responsibility/duties and it's probably not so far overs. You could quibble over 50k?

Plenty also wishing their club had an 80% goalkicker at all- let alone one who could play footy too. Some clubs dropped multiple games last year off the back of no good goal kicker... 4 points on last years ladder makes or breaks a whole season... Is that worth that extra 50k...

Anyway, it wouldn't be the off-season without a Croker controversy. Came late this year. Bloody climate change.
And where's this from?

I personally don't know a fan outside of the Raiders base who rates him highly. Over on LU he's essentially a laughing stock.

Things like loyalty, love for the club, community involvement shouldn't be factored in - otherwise as someone already alluded, bring Tonguey back and pay him a motza.

This isn't a charity, it's a high performance business and we should be paying players what the market dictates. Relative to other salaries that have reported across the NRL 600k for 29 year old Jarrod Croker as a centre, currently the most expendable position in the game, is overs.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 12:49 pm
BadnMean wrote: February 18, 2020, 12:38 am Interesting to note outside fans from 90% of other clubs saying they'd take him in a heartbeat to improve their current centre stocks... Let's say he walks into conservatively 10-12 other NRL teams right now. Would they be willing to offer 450-500k to get him? Some no, some yes. But if even a couple will, that's the rate. Add in what slice of the loyalty bonus and captains extra kick for responsibility/duties and it's probably not so far overs. You could quibble over 50k?

And where's this from?
That was my read on Reddit NRL comments and such last night. The odd knocker, but general acknowledgement that although he gets memed to death, Toots was better than one or both the centers their club was turning out.