Jarrod Croker set to become Raider for life after signing new four-year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Jarrod Croker set to become Raider for life after signing new four-year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to start moving on re-signing Nick Cotric and other off-contract stars

Nick Cotric is one of a number of off-contract Canberra Raiders stars chief executive Don Furner will look to lock in over the pre-season.

Cotric's manager Sam Ayoub said while they were in no rush to finalise a deal the Australian international was happy in Canberra.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders to start moving on Nick Cotric and off-contract stars

Post by RedRaider »

I hope we can quickly come to terms with the young International. Big and quick and a good defender. A modern day Luke Lewis type with a long term future.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Jesus, I read that all wrong for a second there. I read "moving on" as in, "time to go" and my brain went ?!?!?!?!?! for about thirty seconds.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: November 15, 2019, 8:26 pm Jesus, I read that all wrong for a second there. I read "moving on" as in, "time to go" and my brain went ?!?!?!?!?! for about thirty seconds.
I second the motion. Can we remove the phrase "Raiders to start moving on Nick Cotric"- because it is causing heart flutters and no amount of punctuation can save it, short of adding a word.

"Raiders to start moving on RE-SIGNING Nick Cotric..." would be better for our health. But worse click bait.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

What a classic GE troll ****

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I didn’t make up the headline, The Canberra Times did.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And if the Canberra Times jumped off a cliff?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I get criticised if I don’t reproduce the headline, and I get criticised if I do.

I get criticised no matter what I do on absolutely everything.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GE needs a hug
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: November 15, 2019, 10:50 pm I get criticised if I don’t reproduce the headline, and I get criticised if I do.

All we ask is that you take a survey of 1000 users on how a headline will be interpreted before you post it.

Chalk me up as one that understood the headline. All very clear thanks GE and CT.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:I get criticised if I don’t reproduce the headline, and I get criticised if I do.

Ohhhh, Mick Black.

Put me down for one who read the headline wrong and **** himself too!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

+1 for momentarily misinterpreting the poorly worded headline
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You know it’s the off season when GE trolls the forum for lols
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders to start moving on re-signing Nick Cotric and off-contract stars

Post by Seiffert82 »

I read it that the Canberra Times explicitly excluded Cotric from the group they consider to be "stars", and that made me very sad.

They could have at least said ...and other off-contract stars. But they didn't.

Now I don't know whether they want to move him on because he is not a star. But that also makes no sense, because why would they also want to move on our stars?

It's quite distressing.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Northern Raider wrote: November 15, 2019, 10:56 pm GE needs a hug
Giggling.

*hugs GE*
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders to start moving on re-signing Nick Cotric and other off-contract stars

Post by LastRaider »

So from my contacts in the NRL I heard a very upsetting rumour today. Titans are in the mix for Cotric. Can someone please tell me that would definitely not be the case!
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Re: Canberra Raiders to start moving on re-signing Nick Cotric and off-contract stars

Post by casta66 »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 16, 2019, 12:32 pm I read it that the Canberra Times explicitly excluded Cotric from the group they consider to be "stars", and that made me very sad.

They could have at least said ...and other off-contract stars. But they didn't.

Now I don't know whether they want to move him on because he is not a star. But that also makes no sense, because why would they also want to move on our stars?

It's quite distressing.
That's got me cracking up :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders to start moving on re-signing Nick Cotric and other off-contract stars

Post by -TW- »

LastRaider wrote:So from my contacts in the NRL I heard a very upsetting rumour today. Titans are in the mix for Cotric. Can someone please tell me that would definitely not be the case!
Yep he's gone

casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

What was the story with dugan? Was there talk of him coming back for his 7 games a season?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
LastRaider wrote:So from my contacts in the NRL I heard a very upsetting rumour today. Titans are in the mix for Cotric. Can someone please tell me that would definitely not be the case!
Yep he's gone

Already booked his flights no doubt.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

It's raining here thankfully

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

LastRaider wrote: February 12, 2020, 8:40 pm So from my contacts in the NRL I heard a very upsetting rumour today. Titans are in the mix for Cotric. Can someone please tell me that would definitely not be the case!
For that to even have a chance of happening they'd have to make him comfortably the highest paid winger in the game. Like 650-700k.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Given we just managed to resign Jack without having to go to overs (fair each way I'd say) and the fact that the cap we have wrapped up in our back 5 is now lower than it was, I'm sure we have enough to make a good offer to Cotric.

We've made savings letting Rapana and Joey go. Scott would be on less than Joey and Rapana seems to have been replaced by a bargain HSS or Simonsen on a modest sum.
Croker hasn't changed.
CNK got an upgrade but is still bargain rates for a good FG FB.
I suspect Sezer contract>GWilly too.
Nic was a star since he was brought in so already isn't on peanuts, and it's not like we have to find the FULL value of his contract, just the top up to whatever he is already on (350k?) so an extra 200k or so. We might have that.

Don and Ricky have handled this pretty smart. Yeah a team like Titans or whoever sitting on a warchest might be able to throw something crazy like Zim says. It might not be smart, cap wise but if they can't spend it a desperate club might. But I actually trust the club to come up with the best offer they can that makes sense. Surely an origin winger is up around 500/550k? Ado-Carr wanted that but didn't have many takers. Cotric is a more rounded, professional player so he might.

He'd be silly to go to GC. But Ayoub is his manager. I'm sure GC have their hat in the ring but the words "Shannon Boyd", should gibe him pause... it's a career killer Origin and Blues are worth 150k a year in match payments alone, let alone profile and other opportunities they open or player satisfaction/achievement.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders to start moving on re-signing Nick Cotric and other off-contract stars

Post by LastRaider »

I think the offer will need to be around $500k > $550k a season to retain Cotric. Rep player with so much versatility.

I’m nervous, Titans have cash and there rebuilding. Cotric would be a good coup for them
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ugh..

A winger won't win you a premiership, if he wanted to go (which ftr I think is utter Bull) then it's his funeral, he won't be winning a comp there

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I love Cotric, but we can’t pay too much for a winger. Mansour has been a good example of that.

I’m sure Cotric wants to stay and try and win a grand final with his home team. He just has to think what that achievement would mean to him and whether he will become a better player at the Raiders or GC or another middling club?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If Nick is happy in his current environment and getting on well with team mates and coaching staff he'll stay.

I'm sure he is happy.

I've mentioned this before. This is our window. The squad is there. It's the next 1-2-3 yrs to win this premiership.

They all can walk if they want..but not till we win this GF.

Then I can die happy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nothing to worry about. This is a very old article.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: $7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

$7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders following Jack Wighton’s retention

Canberra is now readying to nail down star outside backs Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric to long-term deals worth a combined $4.5m. Canberra hope to be in a position to announce Croker’s retention as early as next week, Cotric shortly after.

Croker would seek a deal up to four seasons — the final year may be incentive based — with Cotric yet to determine whether he would want a deal spanning two, three or four years. Croker is worth around $600,000 a season, Cotric about $500,000 a year.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 594aa8a806

https://www.zerotackle.com/raiders-duo- ... ays-52416/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: $7.7m Triple treat: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

Croker talks well advanced. Ayoub still to open talks on Cotric. But both players want to stay, despite enquires from other clubs. Furner wants to finalise both before the start of the season. Wighton deal is estimated at $3.2 million... which is where the $7.7 million figure comes from.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Croker 4 year extension?!

:shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

IBG wrote: February 17, 2020, 10:09 am Croker 4 year extension?!

:shock:
That’d take him to 34 years of age... not that old these days. If one year is somehow conditional on appearances, say, not a big risk.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

4 years for Croker IMO is not that bigger risk. He isn't likely to do anything stupid off the field and if his performances start to slip due to health/injury we can medically retire him, with no cap hit. I could see him staying at the club in some capacity anyway.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

kona_dream wrote: February 17, 2020, 10:34 am 4 years for Croker IMO is not that bigger risk. He isn't likely to do anything stupid off the field and if his performances start to slip due to health/injury we can medically retire him, with no cap hit. I could see him staying at the club in some capacity anyway.
Banking on being able to medically retire someone is a very, very silly move for a club like the Raiders. [see Dugan, Rapana for evidence of non rating clubs having to play by the rules]

I agree Croker will probably have value for the club in some kind of post career role if he wants it one day. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to want to exercise his option when he's clearly on his last legs and clogging up the joint. But footballers at the end of their careers are dealing with a hard set of facts and not always in the best position to make those decisions. [see Campo- bloody legend but playing like a busted **** and still wanted to stay on]

I'd prefer to see Croker on 2 years and then talk again. But that's just me. Interesting that Croker's contract value has been speculated at on here for years. 600k is the high end for a non-rep centre but he is the Captain so a 100k top up? he played good footy last year. defence went up a whole level in the finals run, really hitting hard.

Cotric- you can be sure plenty of other clubs would offer the same or 50/75/100k ? a year more get an origin level player, no major holes in his game, entering peak years with no major injury or off field history. Give him however long he wants at that price. He's a keeper.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

600k for Jarrod Croker?

Christ almighty, that is massive overs if true. Blows that whole 'he's on the cheap' myth peddled on here right out of the water. Wouldn't get anywhere near that elsewhere.