Jarrod Croker set to become Raider for life after signing new four-year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Re: Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric set to re-sign with Canberra Raiders

Post by Elcaptcroker »

afgtnk wrote:I don't think it's a case of being poor judges. I think it's a case of having thick green goggles afixed too firmly and doubling down - similar to the sects that swear refs have treated us worse than every other team for eternity, or that the NRL detest us and have a grand conspiracy to sink us, or that the clubs' failures are almost solely due to us not being an attractive destination to move to for players because apparently the only thing they could possibly move for is a couple of nifty bike tracks.
Now lets change the name of croker to a certain halfback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Given we have a reserve grade centre in our back five, it’s strange how they’re rated amongst the best in the NRL. Really strange.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9f9f38acb0
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 10:02 pm Seiffert82: Who gives a **** what other fans think??

Also Seiffert82: This incomprehensible rankings list from some random guy on Twitter says Croker is the best. That's it. Done. Argument over.
Hey EDIT, I just used that dude's list as a reference for all the top line centres in the comp. I don't agree with his specific rankings (hence my comment "irrespective of the rankings" which you selectively ignored), but a casual glance at the NAMES ON THE LIST indicates to me that Croker is clearly one of the best and most consistent centres running around.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

FWIW, now that Mitchell has likely moved to fullback, I reckon Manu and Leilua are the only ones left who are a rung above Toots, but he's certainly high up in that next tier of players, who he regularly shuts down in defence or beats in attack. He certainly did a great job shutting down Manu in the GF.

Then you add the goal kicking and captaincy.

I have no idea why he gets sledged so much by the club's own fans.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

4 years at 600k is too much for a 29 year old. Unless we backload and Souffs his last year.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2020, 6:02 am Given we have a reserve grade centre in our back five, it’s strange how they’re rated amongst the best in the NRL. Really strange.

Souths back 5 with an A- despite so many question marks is a bit how you going.

And Sharks A- is astonishing. Moylan with glad wrap hamstrings and Dugan/Ronaldo in the first string.
Last edited by julian87 on February 19, 2020, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:41 pm
yeh raiders wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:32 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 18, 2020, 5:00 pm Interesting to note that old mate Clarkey from “Clarkey’s Rugby League Column” rates him as the number one centre in the NRL. Not too much disagreement in the comments - few people saying Joseph Manu should be ahead. Raiders fans are arguably the harshest judges when it comes to Croker IMO.
He is rightfully getting massacred on Twitter. It’s the worst ranking list of footballers in the history of ranking footballers.

He has Joey Leilua at #13, with the likes of Justin Olam and Esarn Marsters ahead of him :lol:
Irrespective of the rankings, what that list tells me is that Croker is certainly one of the best centres running around the NRL.
That is exactly my point. In respect of the list in its entirety, I completely disagree with. But it shows that a lot people outside of the raiders do hold Croker in high regard.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 19, 2020, 6:39 am
afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 10:02 pm Seiffert82: Who gives a **** what other fans think??

Also Seiffert82: This incomprehensible rankings list from some random guy on Twitter says Croker is the best. That's it. Done. Argument over.
Hey EDIT, I just used that dude's list as a reference for all the top line centres in the comp. I don't agree with his specific rankings (hence my comment "irrespective of the rankings" which you selectively ignored), but a casual glance at the NAMES ON THE LIST indicates to me that Croker is clearly one of the best and most consistent centres running around.
Don't you get it, Afgtthrnk's random internet opinion is the most valid, all other random internet opinions are invalid.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: February 19, 2020, 9:48 am
greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2020, 6:02 am Given we have a reserve grade centre in our back five, it’s strange how they’re rated amongst the best in the NRL. Really strange.

Souths back 5 with an A- despite so many question marks is a bit how you going.

And Sharks A- is astonishing. Moylan with glad wrap hamstrings and Dugan/Ronaldo in the first string.
Agree on those two. It's been a while since we saw Moylan put some good footy together. As for a season- forget it.

Souths I guess they are banking on Latrell lifting everyone. Gagai isn't the worlds greatest club player. Roberts can be very dangerous but he's another one held together with sticky tape.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 19, 2020, 7:13 am FWIW, now that Mitchell has likely moved to fullback, I reckon Manu and Leilua are the only ones left who are a rung above Toots, but he's certainly high up in that next tier of players, who he regularly shuts down in defence or beats in attack. He certainly did a great job shutting down Manu in the GF.

Manu took his game to a whole new level last year. Right now I'd rate him clearly on top. There's nobody better than BJ at his best. Too many dumb plays and inconsistency have been his achilles heel. Prior to his neck injury in 2019 he looked like he'd tamed that part of his game. Unfortunately it crept back in on his return. Trying too hard maybe?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: February 19, 2020, 1:13 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: February 19, 2020, 7:13 am FWIW, now that Mitchell has likely moved to fullback, I reckon Manu and Leilua are the only ones left who are a rung above Toots, but he's certainly high up in that next tier of players, who he regularly shuts down in defence or beats in attack. He certainly did a great job shutting down Manu in the GF.

Manu took his game to a whole new level last year. Right now I'd rate him clearly on top. There's nobody better than BJ at his best. Too many dumb plays and inconsistency have been his achilles heel. Prior to his neck injury in 2019 he looked like he'd tamed that part of his game. Unfortunately it crept back in on his return. Trying too hard maybe?
My theory on BJ is that when he's really fit- the better his discipline on the field. As noted he had really got his act together early 2019 and was finally adding discipline whilst still being a terror. When he can back he was a step off the pace and just not match fit (that takes a few weeks)- all of a sudden we see the brain snaps again. It's hard to make good decisions under fatigue, simple as that. You can add that Joeys scope for good and bad decisions is broader than most players. So when the needle moves... it moves.

If Joey is fit at the Tigers, he'll kill it the first few games. But I think if they are losing again some bad habits will creep in as he realises he's at a busted outfit and winning is more fun that losing...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: February 19, 2020, 1:34 pm

My theory on BJ is that when he's really fit- the better his discipline on the field. As noted he had really got his act together early 2019 and was finally adding discipline whilst still being a terror. When he can back he was a step off the pace and just not match fit (that takes a few weeks)- all of a sudden we see the brain snaps again. It's hard to make good decisions under fatigue, simple as that. You can add that Joeys scope for good and bad decisions is broader than most players. So when the needle moves... it moves.

If Joey is fit at the Tigers, he'll kill it the first few games. But I think if they are losing again some bad habits will creep in as he realises he's at a busted outfit and winning is more fun that losing...
Yeah, a fit and focussed Leilua is right up there. The discipline creeps out of his game when he's unfit and things aren't going his way. Mentally not the strongest of characters. It'll be interesting to see how he goes at the Tigers.

Manu is just one of those guys that does everything well. Not a highlights reel, but just an outstanding centre.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: February 19, 2020, 10:39 am

Don't you get it, Afgtthrnk's random internet opinion is the most valid, all other random internet opinions are invalid.
Yep. Just another one on the list!
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Elcaptcroker wrote: February 18, 2020, 11:00 pm
afgtnk wrote:I don't think it's a case of being poor judges. I think it's a case of having thick green goggles afixed too firmly and doubling down - similar to the sects that swear refs have treated us worse than every other team for eternity, or that the NRL detest us and have a grand conspiracy to sink us, or that the clubs' failures are almost solely due to us not being an attractive destination to move to for players because apparently the only thing they could possibly move for is a couple of nifty bike tracks.
Now lets change the name of croker to a certain halfback?

Gotta read this BS again all year.. the bias is astonishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Apparently BJ is proving one of the strongest players at the Tigers. Players have been very impressed with him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: February 20, 2020, 9:33 am Apparently BJ is proving one of the strongest players at the Tigers. Players have been very impressed with him.
That's not surprising on a number of levels
1. He's very strong
b) He's more mature and professional now than he was years ago, comes with age i guess
iii- Even at the roosters and knights, when he was a immature, he was still pretty good for them in the first 18 months. That honeymoon period was always strong

I expect Beej will be excellent for them.
Last edited by Botman on February 20, 2020, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: February 20, 2020, 9:33 am Apparently BJ is proving one of the strongest players at the Tigers. Players have been very impressed with him.
No great shock. He's a beast. Will give them a spark out wide thats been totally lacking in recent years.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Additional “middle forward” they severely lack too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: February 20, 2020, 3:36 pm Additional “middle forward” they severely lack too.
BJ to Prop will be the thing on Tigers forums.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

All I'm sayin is you're all lucky agffnsk isn't big cheese.
Skulls would be cracking
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Yeah I remember Joey trying hard when he chased that manly player 95m to drop his knees on his back after he scored
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: February 20, 2020, 4:12 pm
yeh raiders wrote: February 20, 2020, 3:36 pm Additional “middle forward” they severely lack too.
BJ to Prop will be the thing on Tigers forums.
Honestly, if he’s fit and motivated (along with the fact we’re paying a decent portion of his contract) it’s likely to be one of the most significant purchases the Tigers have made since Scott Prince.

I think having his brother there helps too, he enjoys his footy more when he’s in the company of mates.

God love BJ.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker set to re-sign for two years

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker set to re-sign for two years

Jarrod Croker appears set to sign a two-year extension with the Raiders, with an option for a third, as early as Monday. Nick Cotric is close to a three year deal, while Sia Soliola is likely to re-sign before the start of the season and Matt Timoko is likely to sign a development deal.

"Jarrod Croker's all but done. I think it'll be two [years] with an option our way," Peter Mulholland said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's probably a better deal all round for everyone.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Yep. Great friday news
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah I think two years and an option is definitely a better length than the originally reported 4
Happy with that
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This is good news for player, club and fans..

Toots loves the club, nice one skip.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I never really understood contracts with a final year in the club's favour.

If the club wants to retain a player and the player wants to stay, a contract extension can be negotiated at any time. If a player really doesn't want to stay, its not like the club is going to take up that final year option.

Might be different in a system where clubs are actively trading players under contract, but not in an environment where players and clubs break contracts at the drop of a hat.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Anyway this is good news. A 2-3 year deals sounds like a good result for the club. Hopefully for everyone involved we can squeeze a premiership or two in that window!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 21, 2020, 5:59 pm Yeah I think two years and an option is definitely a better length than the originally reported 4
Happy with that
Yep, this deal takes him to the end of 2022 where he will be 32. Both he and the club will have a better idea where he's at playing wise.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Neeeegz wrote: February 20, 2020, 5:13 pm

All I'm sayin is you're all lucky agffnsk isn't big cheese.
Skulls would be cracking
possibly the world is lucky there's only one Big Cheese. And note the capitals - respect!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Well, we know he probably won't get to the third year anyway without getting another extension, so I'm fine with that. Ultimately, it's probably just a safety net in case they have to renegotiate a lot of players around that 2022 mark and they can just go "yeah here's the third year".
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raiderskater wrote: February 23, 2020, 11:27 am Well, we know he probably won't get to the third year anyway without getting another extension, so I'm fine with that. Ultimately, it's probably just a safety net in case they have to renegotiate a lot of players around that 2022 mark and they can just go "yeah here's the third year".
It gets a bit confusing with the negotiation of contracts 12 months in advance. When do they need to advise him if the option will be activated? Is he allowed to talk to other clubs until such time the Raiders take up the 3rd year of his deal?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

This 12 month before contract negotiation isn’t working for the good of the game. Surely there’s a better model.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

So that means towards the end of next season Brit Croker should be getting a diamond ring from Todd!
Vaccinated