2019 in review - Aidan Sezer

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the seventh instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is over - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana and Jack Wighton.

Aidan Sezer made 18 appearances for the Canberra Raiders in 2019, all but one at half back... the one other at five eighth. He played the first two matches of the season, before suffering an oblique injury. That gave Sam Williams his opportunity in first grade, and when Sezer returned from injury, it was with Mounties in the NSW Cup. Williams' good form kept Sezer in "reserve grade" until the Round 12 clash with the Bulldogs. With Jack Wighton on Origin duty, he came back into the team in the No. 6 jersey... before winning back the No. 7 the following week and for the rest of the season. He played four games for Mounties in total.

He had his ups and downs in 2019, but he was much more consistent than in 2018. I rated him an "8" in one game, the Round 18 win over the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium. In that match he produced six runs for 24 metres, one line break assist, two try assists, 19 tackles, eight kicks for 192 metres and one forced line drop out. He picked up points in Fans' Choice voting in Round 18 against the Panthers at Penrith and the Round 24 golden point win over the Sharks at Cronulla. He scored a try at Penrith and memorably scored three field goals to get the victory over the Sharks. I rated him an average of 6.2/10 through the year.

Sezer's statistics in 2019 weren't too different from 2018, for the most part. His total try involvements dropped to 17, compared with 24 in 2018. He ranked just inside the top 20 NRL half backs for average try involvements (equal 10th in 2018) and average try assists (eighth in 2018). Despite playing only 18 games, he ranked fifth at the Raiders for total try involvements, and third for try assists, behind Josh Hodgson and Jack Wighton. Sezer's running game was improved. He averaged 9.3 metres per carry this season, compared with 8.8 metres last year. He also averaged 36 metres gained per match in 2019, compared with 22 metres per match last year. He was outside the top 10 NRL halfbacks on both scores. His tackle breaks more than doubled (25).

Sezer kicked less in 2019 and made fewer kicking metres per match (158, compared with 188 in 2018) - which was on the low side, compared with his half back peers. He forced eight line drop outs, compared with 10 in 2018. He ranked third at the club for FDOs, behind Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson - and just inside the top 20 NRL players to turn out at half back. His kick errors rose (11, compared with a very low four in 2018). Sezer ranked equal first in the NRL for field goals (4), alongside James Maloney. Sam Williams got two, meaning the Raiders kicked more field goals than any club in the season just passed - consistent with Ricky Stuart's increased focus on game management.

In defence, Sezer maintained a tackle efficiency rate to 81 per cent, but that’s below the top regular halves, like Cooper Cronk and Daly Cherry-Evans, who had a rate in the high 80s. Regardless, he produced only six try causes - and one in every three matches was close to the benchmark amongst NRL halves. Sezer's discipline was good, with relatively low errors and penalties conceded.

Overall, Aidan Sezer had a solid season. He is contracted for 2020, but there are persistent reports linking him to a move to Super League next year - and Simon Woolford's Huddersfield Giants. Wigan half George Williams has signed a three year deal with the Green Machine from 2020, and Canberra has just agreed to terms with Sam Williams on contract extension that will keep him at the club until end 2021. Raiders recruitment guru, Peter Mulholland has said that if Sezer remains at the club, all three players will be fighting it out for the No. 7 jersey. That would be a very tough battle.

How did you rate Aidan Sezer's 2019? Tell us below.

Aidan Sezer's 2019: 6/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 18
Average minutes: 80.5
Tries: 3
Field goals: 4
Try assists: 9
Try contributions: 5
Total try involvements: 17
Total kicks: 128
Kick metres: 2860
Average kick metres per match: 158
40/20’s: 1
Forced drop outs: 8
Kicks dead: 5
Kick errors: 11
Total runs: 71
All run metres: 660
Average metres per carry: 9.3
Average metres per game: 36
Tackle breaks: 25
Offloads: 4
Line breaks: 3
Line break assists: 5
Tackles: 242
Average tackles per game: 13.4
1 on 1 tackles: 14
Missed tackles: 41
Average missed tackles per game: 2.3
Tackle efficiency: 81 per cent
Try causes: 6
Errors: 16
Penalties conceded: 8
edwahu

Re: 2019 in review - Aidan Sezer

Post by edwahu »

7/10. He had a very good year and played well in some big games. His defense and discipline are top tier, which counts for a lot in my book regardless of position.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I also think Sezer had a solid season..not immortal, not park footballer.

He had some great games for us while steering the side around. His defence is good.

His first few years with us were underwhelming but hats off to Aiden because his last 2yrs have been very good.

7/10
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Agree with the two posts above me, Sezer gets a solid 7/10 for mine. 6 seems a bit harsh.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Finished the season very strongly. But was out of the team and in reggies until about halfway through the season. So the 6 is fair enough, if Jack and Charnze are 8s.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

@afgtnk thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sezer offered stability in attack and sound defence. Him and Hodgson are the two players in our team who generally know when to rush up in defence. It might mean a missed tackle for them, but it broke down an attacking chance for the opposition. Can I have a 6.5? Certainly an easy 7 over the last third of the season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:@afgtnk thoughts?

He's no Sammy Williams that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: November 12, 2019, 10:32 am
EJ wrote:@afgtnk thoughts?

He's no Sammy Williams that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
On that I think we all agree. ;)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: November 12, 2019, 8:55 am Finished the season very strongly. But was out of the team and in reggies until about halfway through the season. So the 6 is fair enough, if Jack and Charnze are 8s.
Ah yeah, I forgot he missed quite a bit of the early season.

6.5/10 for me then.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: November 12, 2019, 12:49 pm
BadnMean wrote: November 12, 2019, 8:55 am Finished the season very strongly. But was out of the team and in reggies until about halfway through the season. So the 6 is fair enough, if Jack and Charnze are 8s.
Ah yeah, I forgot he missed quite a bit of the early season.

6.5/10 for me then.
Its easy to forget - he did spend a lot of time being invisible.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

BadnMean wrote: November 12, 2019, 8:55 am Finished the season very strongly. But was out of the team and in reggies until about halfway through the season.
Because he was injured, and Sam Williams got lucky that the team went on a rampage and Ricky decided not to change what was working. In reality, Sezer should have come back a couple games sooner than he did; Williams was definitely falling off before the Bulldogs game.

I think Sezer's playing was massively underrated this year, but then I've always thought it has been the whole time he's been with us, really. For some reason a huge portion of the fanbase has been out to skewer him, and it's been all uphill.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

raiderskater wrote: November 12, 2019, 8:40 pm For some reason a huge portion of the fanbase has been out to skewer him, and it's been all uphill.
Probably because EDIT.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

6/10 sounds about right, probably could've even gone into the 5's.

Sezer played as he plays every year - if you stood on his floor, you'd smash your head into his ceiling. This year the team just happened to do well with him in it.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'm really torn on this 1. He was better and more consistent than previous yrs. And yet, I think he was only the reason we one only a couple of times. Which isn't good enough for a half. I also don't think he was at his absolute best enough. The Sharks FG game the best of them.

I had Cotric and BJ as 5.5-6, and I'd say Sezer was better than both. I'd say he was a 6.5-7.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Given the latest Foran injury news, i wonder if that has been behind Sezer not announcing the Huddersfield gig? Sezer to the Dogs?? Salary cap relief from the NRL because of the Hodgson rule? Was always the talk pre the Super League stuff? Junior club etc......
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Old School Green wrote: November 13, 2019, 10:55 am Given the latest Foran injury news, i wonder if that has been behind Sezer not announcing the Huddersfield gig? Sezer to the Dogs?? Salary cap relief from the NRL because of the Hodgson rule? Was always the talk pre the Super League stuff? Junior club etc......
Interesting idea. It'd be a better result for Sezer, career wise to stay in the NRL where the money is better and potential get another NRL gig or extension off the back of it. NRL half money beats SL money.

And if I was the dogs, given Foran's injury history and the fact his best footy was years ago, I'd want some more halves in.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: November 12, 2019, 10:33 pm
raiderskater wrote: November 12, 2019, 8:40 pm For some reason a huge portion of the fanbase has been out to skewer him, and it's been all uphill.
Probably because EDIT.
afgtnk wrote: November 12, 2019, 10:35 pm 6/10 sounds about right, probably could've even gone into the 5's.

Sezer played as he plays every year - if you stood on his floor, you'd smash your head into his ceiling. This year the team just happened to do well with him in it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha the biggest reason I'm going to miss Aidan Sezer is how affgfhgjtgkthk completely loses his mind whenever he's mentioned.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

He was better than in previous years because of our improved defence IMO. It meant he wasn't chasing points with every pass or kick. He still loved a kick into opposition legs and threw the odd shocking cut out, but he was much improved over the past couple of years in terms of consistency and accuracy.

Defensively he was very solid.

He proved me wrong in my thinking we couldn't win a Premiership with him. He helped take us to the brink, albeit in a smaller role.

If we had our time over would we go with Williams over Sezer and Rapana? I think we probably would, but it's slightly concerning Williams can't crack a painfully average halves combo in the Lions team.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 14, 2019, 9:44 am He was better than in previous years because of our improved defence IMO. It meant he wasn't chasing points with every pass or kick. He still loved a kick into opposition legs and threw the odd shocking cut out, but he was much improved over the past couple of years in terms of consistency and accuracy.

He proved me wrong in my thinking we couldn't win a Premiership with him. He helped take us to the brink, albeit in a smaller role.

If we had our time over would we go with Williams over Sezer and Rapana? I think we probably would, but it's slightly concerning Williams can't crack a painfully average halves combo in the Lions team.
Wayne is never wrong, it will come good.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 14, 2019, 9:44 am He was better than in previous years because of our improved defence IMO. It meant he wasn't chasing points with every pass or kick. He still loved a kick into opposition legs and threw the odd shocking cut out, but he was much improved over the past couple of years in terms of consistency and accuracy.

I wouldn't be that concerned over the G Williams snub. If you look at how the whole squad was selected and the changes made after each loss it seemed like Bennett either lost his marbles, or winning this series wasn't at the top of his list. Even if you just restrict it to the players picked; Walmsley was their best prop and couldn't get a start.
Williams spending a season in our system with the same players each week is a completely different kettle of fish.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Nothing George does or doesnt do for GB will matter in his time here.
He's being brought here to improve our attacking creativity whilst hopefully maintaining the structural integrity of our edge defence.

I honestly couldnt give the faintest **** about what he does or doesnt do for GB. It's about how his game translates to the week to week grind of NRL footy.

As for Sezer, he played his role this year and that contributed to an incredibly successful season, although it fell 10 minutes short of the ultimate goal :(
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Nothing George does or doesnt do for GB will matter in his time here.
How about an ACL or two? Image
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: November 14, 2019, 10:45 pm
Botman wrote:Nothing George does or doesnt do for GB will matter in his time here.
How about an ACL or two? Image
:lol: Touche'
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 13, 2019, 5:16 am I'm really torn on this 1. He was better and more consistent than previous yrs. And yet, I think he was only the reason we one only a couple of times. Which isn't good enough for a half. I also don't think he was at his absolute best enough. The Sharks FG game the best of them.

I had Cotric and BJ as 5.5-6, and I'd say Sezer was better than both. I'd say he was a 6.5-7.
Sezer had a role in our squad and he performed that role very well. By that token he should rate fairly well. Simply because he wears no7 does not mean Sticky wanted him to "win" games for us like we expect from the best halfbacks in the NRL. That's not the type of player he his.

This year if we needed Sezer individually to be "winning" games for us then it means we've failed in too many other aspects of our game. Next year with G Williams could be a very different story as he has that game breaking ability.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 15, 2019, 10:05 am
Matt wrote: November 13, 2019, 5:16 am I'm really torn on this 1. He was better and more consistent than previous yrs. And yet, I think he was only the reason we one only a couple of times. Which isn't good enough for a half. I also don't think he was at his absolute best enough. The Sharks FG game the best of them.

Sezer had a role in our squad and he performed that role very well. By that token he should rate fairly well. Simply because he wears no7 does not mean Sticky wanted him to "win" games for us like we expect from the best halfbacks in the NRL. That's not the type of player he his.

This year if we needed Sezer individually to be "winning" games for us then it means we've failed in too many other aspects of our game. Next year with G Williams could be a very different story as he has that game breaking ability.
Your right, but I think he is a role player due to not standing up more than not being able too. We have seen in spurts here that he can do it, he just cant consistently. This has been the issue the whole time he has been here. He was able to lead an awful Titans side pretty effectively considering what he was working with, but it never translated. Even his FG specialty didnt translate til this season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 15, 2019, 11:31 am
Northern Raider wrote: November 15, 2019, 10:05 am

Your right, but I think he is a role player due to not standing up more than not being able too. We have seen in spurts here that he can do it, he just cant consistently. This has been the issue the whole time he has been here. He was able to lead an awful Titans side pretty effectively considering what he was working with, but it never translated. Even his FG specialty didnt translate til this season.
Any player can look good in spurts. It's what they do on a consistent basis that determines their status.

Even at the Titans he was never really their go-to guy with a game on the line.....Titans never really had one after Scott Prince. This FG specialty is a bit of a myth. He kicked 5 of them in 4 seasons with the Titans.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

5.5/10 for me.

Basically what everyone else said. His performance in defence was critical to the way we played this year. That's not the primary job of a halfback though, so I was a bit disappointed with the inconsistency in his kicking game and the way he faded in and out of games a bit.

Quite a lot of that's on Hodgo's head though. When Sezer got some good early ball and Hodgson had confidence in him, we looked a much better team. However, Sezer didn't always step up to the plate. I'm not sure why his try involvements were significantly down - although that right hand edge was all over the shop this season with Leilua in and out of the team. That didn't help.

Anyway, pretty good year from Seze. I thought he did well.