2019 in review - Nick Cotric

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the second instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the season is done - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2019. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad.

Nick Cotric played his third season in the NRL in 2019. He was Canberra Raiders Rookie of the Year in 2017 - and the Dally M Rookie of the Year and joint winner of the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Award. This year, he made his debut for New South Wales and Australia. Yet his is still only 20 years old. He has some extraordinary achievements on his record, already.

Despite that, his 2019 for the Raiders was a bit disrupted and his form was a bit down on 2017 and 2018. He made 22 appearances in green, missing the Round 12 match against the Bulldogs on representative duty. He then suffered an ankle injury in the Round 14 win over the Sharks, which kept him on the sidelines for two weeks - and out of State of Origin II. He was then controversially suspended for three weeks, after a dangerous tackle on Tim Lafai in his comeback from injury, the Round 17 win over the Dragons at Wollongong.

He was also forced into the centres for a good part of the season, due to a serious neck injury for Joey Leilua. He played eight of his 22 games at centre, rather than his regular wing position.

Cotric scored just four tries in 2019, compared with 12 in 2018 and 16 in 2017. That left him equal ninth, with Joey Leilua, in the try scoring stakes at the club - and well down the try scoring list for NRL wingers/centres. He was also less dangerous with the ball in hand. In 2018 he ranked second in the NRL for tackle breaks (over five per match), just behind James Tedesco, and fourth for line breaks (22). In 2019, he ranked outside the top 20 players for tackle breaks (just over three per game) and outside the top 40 players for line breaks (10). He still averaged around 9 metres per run and 93 metres per match (compared with 8.5 metres per run over 100 metres per game in 2019). His error count was well down and he remained highly disciplined.

With the shift to centre, Cotric did more tackling and his tackle efficiency rate improved - but he was still well down the list for NRL wingers/centres in that department. He was credited with 12 try causes, which at best could be considered middle of the pack in his two positions. It's tough defending on the edges, but it's probably an area he'll want to continue working on.

In my weekly Raiders player ratings, he finished just outside the top 10 for total points, and averaged 5.9/10 per match. My highest rating in any match was a "7" and he didn't register a point in Fans' Choice voting this year. His best all round match was probably the Round 10 clash with the South Sydney Rabbitohs. He produced 129 metres with the ball in hand, 37 post contact metres, six tackle breaks, 23 tackles and one missed tackle. His top three games for running metres were the Round 7 loss to the Sea Eagles (154), the Round 6 win over the Broncos (147) and the Grand Final (144).

All in all, it wasn't Cotric's best year, but he is still a very good player and a player with huge potential. That's why he made his Blues and Kangaroos debut in 2019. His personal statistics probably took a hit this season because he was playing a role that was needed in the team - given the unavailablility of Joey Leilua. However, he'll probably be wanting to lift some of his numbers in 2020. A winger's No. 1 job is to score tries and his No. 2 job is to make metres, bust tackles and make breaks out wide. He'll probably like to settle back on the wing and do more of all those things next season.

How did you rate Nick Cotric's 2019? Tell us below.

Nick Cotric's 2019: 6.5/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 22
Average minutes: 75
Tries: 4
Try assists: 3
Try contributions: 2
Total try involvements: 9
Total kicks: 9
Kick metres: 133
40/20’s: 0
Total runs: 230
All run metres: 2065
Average metres per carry: 9
Average metres per game: 93
Tackle breaks: 71
Offloads: 6
Line breaks: 10
Line break assists: 4
Tackles: 118
Average tackles per game: 5.4
1 on 1 tackles: 25
Missed tackles: 25
Average missed tackles per game: 1.1
Tackle efficiency: 77 per cent
Try causes: 12
Errors: 11
Penalties conceded: 4
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2019 in review - Nick Cotric

Post by The Nickman »

Once again Ferg, you're spot on with what I would've gone with... 6.5 is exactly Cotric's 2019 for mine.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Great year for him personally in terms of the success of the team and breaking into the rep sides.

Performance wise obviously down on the previous two seasons - it seems teams really caught onto both his and Rapana's dummy half running, which curbed a lot of his effectiveness. Didn't help that he was also regularly starved of ball by us in attack.

Good kid who I'm confident will be able to bounce back next season.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

6/10. Never really got going but at least saved his best footy for the finals series.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

@Greeneyed,
Given his average was 5.9, call it 6, why 6.5?

I was pretty hard on him this yr in my weekly matchups, and that was because of the standard he set himself last yr. You could tell that moving around and dealing with injury and suspension mid year messed him around. I think 6.5 is a little high TBH, I would have said 5.5-6, which is the average GE stated.

TBH, I think he is a little lucky to have got a Blues and Australian call up this yr. He was far better last yr than this yr, and injuries got him a chance in both instances. Thats not to say he wont be a long term rep player in the future, because he has all the makings.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: November 5, 2019, 1:03 pm @Greeneyed,

I was pretty hard on him this yr in my weekly matchups, and that was because of the standard he set himself last yr. You could tell that moving around and dealing with injury and suspension mid year messed him around. I think 6.5 is a little high TBH, I would have said 5.5-6, which is the average GE stated.

TBH, I think he is a little lucky to have got a Blues and Australian call up this yr. He was far better last yr than this yr, and injuries got him a chance in both instances. Thats not to say he wont be a long term rep player in the future, because he has all the makings.
More on this year's methodology: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33729#p1707350

Nick Cotric gets a 0.4 bonus for overall contribution to the season under the methodology and that rounds to a rating of 6.5. I'm doing whole points or half points. Under the methodology, CNK effectively received a full bonus point in the rating.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: November 5, 2019, 1:09 pm
Matt wrote: November 5, 2019, 1:03 pm @Greeneyed,

More on this year's methodology: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33729#p1707350

Nick Cotric gets a 0.4 bonus for overall contribution to the season under the methodology and that rounds to a rating of 6.5. I'm doing whole points or half points. Under the methodology, CNK effectively received a full bonus point in the rating.
I saw the methodology, I just surprised he was worth plus marks this yr.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Finally started to look like his old self towards the end of the year. Expecting a better 2020 with a more defined role and better fitness.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha are we really in the situation where Matty is ****-canning somebody else's methodology??

What a world we live in!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I copped a lot of criticism last year for not having a consistent methodology for taking account of missed games in 2018... so this is my solution. The more games played, the greater the contribution to the season, and vice versa. The bonus or penalty is scaled to matches played... and it will give a wider spread of ratings this year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: November 5, 2019, 1:56 pm I copped a lot of criticism last year for not having a consistent methodology for taking account of missed games in 2018... so this is my solution. The more games played, the greater the contribution to the season, and vice versa. The bonus or penalty is scaled to matches played... and it will give a wider spread of ratings this year.
I don't know what you're doing, but whenever I see a Review I decide what I would give the player before I open your thread and you're 2/2 so far, keep it up!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Another solid year from Nick without being sensational. Earned rep jerseys this year and wil be amongst it again into the future.

Still very young with huge upside..

3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Will he shift to the right wing with Rapana gone? He seems to be a natural right edge and Simonsson has done a great job on the left.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 5, 2019, 2:44 pm Will he shift to the right wing with Rapana gone? He seems to be a natural right edge and Simonsson has done a great job on the left.
I think he will.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: November 5, 2019, 1:56 pm I copped a lot of criticism last year for not having a consistent methodology for taking account of missed games in 2018... so this is my solution. The more games played, the greater the contribution to the season, and vice versa. The bonus or penalty is scaled to matches played... and it will give a wider spread of ratings this year.
All we want is consistency, greeneyed.

Consistency.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: November 5, 2019, 1:20 pm Finally started to look like his old self towards the end of the year. Expecting a better 2020 with a more defined role and better fitness.
I've been rewatching 2019, early season he actually started the season quite well too- scoring tries, strong runs, involved in tries. He just had a real flat spot in the middle.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: November 5, 2019, 3:27 pm
zim wrote: November 5, 2019, 1:20 pm Finally started to look like his old self towards the end of the year. Expecting a better 2020 with a more defined role and better fitness.
I've been rewatching 2019, early season he actually started the season quite well too- scoring tries, strong runs, involved in tries. He just had a real flat spot in the middle.
When he got moved to the centres.

Regained his form again at the end of the season... when he went back to the wing spot he was comfortable in.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Those stats really aren’t flash at all in attack and defence! 2020 is your time to shine Nicko!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If CNK gets an 8.0, then 6.0 seems fair for Cotric.

Big season from him. Not entirely sure how it deserved an Origin or Kangaroo jersey, but it goes to show that if the selectors stamp your papers one way or another early on, it almost doesn't matter how consistently well you perform (or otherwise).

I hope he gets back to his best next season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If CNK gets an 8.0, then 6.0 seems fair for Cotric.

Big season from him. Not entirely sure how it deserved an Origin or Kangaroo jersey, but it goes to show that if the selectors stamp your papers one way or another early on, it almost doesn't matter how consistently well you perform (or otherwise).

I hope he gets back to his best next season.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think his season was adversely impacted by the move to centre and suspension, and that's inspite of the fact i think he flashed truly dominant play there... just a season that felt disjointed.

I think he's got all the tools to be a truly dominant and impactful centre... but i think he's already that as a winger when he's just stuck in there and doing his job. I think his defence was good at centre but i think he's the best defensive winger in the game. 6/10 is about right.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 7:13 pm I think his season was adversely impacted by the move to centre and suspension, and that's inspite of the fact i think he flashed truly dominant play there... just a season that felt disjointed.

I think he's got all the tools to be a truly dominant and impactful centre... but i think he's already that as a winger when he's just stuck in there and doing his job. I think his defence was good at centre but i think he's the best defensive winger in the game. 6/10 is about right.
The stats suggest he misses one in six tackles.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah, listen Krissy, im not really about looking at the game on such a fundamentally basic level. That **** might fly over at Broncos HQ. But we're a better audiance here, and understand the nuances of the game
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 7:54 pm Yeah, listen Krissy, im not really about looking at the game on such a fundamentally basic level. That **** might fly over at Broncos HQ. But we're a better audiance here, and understand the nuances of the game
Nuance all you like my friend but the fact remains he averaged a bit over 5 tackles a game in 2019 whilst also averaging a little over 1 missed tackle a game. Best defensive winger in the game you say.... hmmm

Double down hard - I need a laugh 🤭
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Apologies. He's probably third behind Isaako and Oates.
Run away, little boy. It's well past your bed time.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 8:33 pm Apologies. He's probably third behind Isaako and Oates.
Fox stats provides defence stats by position - totals and averages. Spoiler alert - Cotric’s not leading any categories.

When others make silly unsubstantiated claims like that you say silly things like - “I don’t know why you want to die on this hill” and “you better pick that ball up out of your net”.

Double down harder - tell me what you base your nuanced view on...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Billy Walker wrote: November 5, 2019, 8:50 pm
Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 8:33 pm Apologies. He's probably third behind Isaako and Oates.
Fox stats provides defence stats by position - totals and averages. Spoiler alert - Cotric’s not leading any categories.

When others make silly unsubstantiated claims like that you say silly things like - “I don’t know why you want to die on this hill” and “you better pick that ball up out of your net”.

I don't think he's quite the best defensive winger in the game however the stats Fox Sports provide don't differ for each position someone plays, which is quite annoying. Would be handy if they did since it makes it hard to compare players who have played multiple positions.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Managed to jag both a Blues and Australia jersey during his worst year in first grade. I don't know how he did it, but I could name a bunch of other wingers that played well and above Cotric this year. 5 and a half out of 10.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

SeeBee101 wrote: November 6, 2019, 12:45 pm Managed to jag both a Blues and Australia jersey during his worst year in first grade. I don't know how he did it, but I could name a bunch of other wingers that played well and above Cotric this year. 5 and a half out of 10.
To be fair, half those other wingers are Fijians or Kiwis.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: November 5, 2019, 8:58 pm

I don't think he's quite the best defensive winger in the game however the stats Fox Sports provide don't differ for each position someone plays, which is quite annoying. Would be handy if they did since it makes it hard to compare players who have played multiple positions.
This line of argument should appeal to you.

When Simo plays outside of Croker and Wighton, issues are prevelent every game. When Cotric plays outside of them, they are as stout as any in the game. It is unquestionable that Croker is a significantly better defender when Cotric is outside him. And even as a Croker fan, i dont think that's on Croker. It's Cotric.

His impact on the defensive structure we play with is immeasurable imo. He reads the game and he reads his inside men at a level that i dont think is matched. Happy for people to name be better defensive wingers if they can.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Not his best season but still a good one.
Leave him on the wing. He loves it there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: November 6, 2019, 7:21 pm

When Simo plays outside of Croker and Wighton, issues are prevelent every game. When Cotric plays outside of them, they are as stout as any in the game. It is unquestionable that Croker is a significantly better defender when Cotric is outside him. And even as a Croker fan, i dont think that's on Croker. It's Cotric.

His impact on the defensive structure we play with is immeasurable imo. He reads the game and he reads his inside men at a level that i dont think is matched. Happy for people to name be better defensive wingers if they can.
Interesting. Because Simo pulled off some immense 1 on 1 defensive plays or last ditch efforts (so did Cotric). But Cotric may be more solid overall than most wingers- how can we tell?

It's clear how Sezer had NFI what to do on the defining GF play (not his fault per se, just executed to perfection) and that wing defence matters.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

defending as a winger required a lot more than people give credit for. You have to be able to read the game, and understand how your inside men are reading and reacting to the game.
Simo struggled at times with our aggressive style.Cotric is utterly brilliant at it. I think Simo will be really good at it too with more time and experience.

I havent rewatched the last try in the GF and god willing i wont ever. But my feeling was the same as yours. A perfect execution attacking a short side a man short.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: November 6, 2019, 7:21 pm

By "(not) quite the best defensive winger" I do mean not quite the very best, i.e. standout number one. I think he's in the top three or four.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah fair enough, im geninely interested to hear who else you think are in the conversation.