Canberra Raiders re-sign Sam Williams on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Sam Williams on two year deal

Post by Seiffert82 »

Was always happening. The $ value would be interesting, but ultimately he'll be getting paid at a rate that allows the club to retain the starting 13 players they want to retain.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 5, 2019, 6:15 pm Was always happening. The $ value would be interesting, but ultimately he'll be getting paid at a rate that allows the club to retain the starting 13 players they want to retain.
13... yeeesh.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 7:25 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 5, 2019, 6:15 pm Was always happening. The $ value would be interesting, but ultimately he'll be getting paid at a rate that allows the club to retain the starting 13 players they want to retain.
13... yeeesh.
??

They don't want to retain the starting 13? What on earth do you think I'm trying to say? How many players start a game?

Mate, you're getting a bit obsessed with this Sam Williams thing!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I would... respectfully... extend that out to the top 17 at least. If not top 20.
All things going to plan, Sam Willimas will play games where Jack Wighton is on rep duty, a bye week means ideally, he plays 2 games... The top 15 are going to play 24 games if healthy, the next 5 will split the 24 games between them based on injuries/suspension/rep duty and i value that over the back up half.

And to cut off the injury talk/George Williams sucks risk... Tom Moore had a great quote about P.Manning that sort of applies here to me. If Wighton/Georgey Boy gets hurt, or George Williams just absolutely suck and Sam is playing a lot of footy, we're ****...
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

I think the Raiders brains trust see him as coaching potential because if his footy brain and want to keep him in the club for those reasons as well
as being a back up half.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I can definitely see him getting into coaching, seems to fit the exact mould for it and has the right temperament.

Hopefully he's learning a lot from Marra at Mounties, who's a great development coach and very experienced.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 8:31 pm I would... respectfully... extend that out to the top 17 at least. If not top 20.
All things going to plan, Sam Willimas will play games where Jack Wighton is on rep duty, a bye week means ideally, he plays 2 games... The top 15 are going to play 24 games if healthy, the next 5 will split the 24 games between them based on injuries/suspension/rep duty and i value that over the back up half.

And to cut off the injury talk/George Williams sucks risk... Tom Moore had a great quote about P.Manning that sort of applies here to me. If Wighton/Georgey Boy gets hurt, or George Williams just absolutely suck and Sam is playing a lot of footy, we're ****...
I understand what you're saying, but with all due respect, Sam Williams isn't in the squad to cover positions 14 to 17. In any case, blokes like Guler, Horsburgh and Young aren't the guys competing with Williams for salary cap space.

My point is, the club has extended Williams and I'm entirely certain it's not at the expense of anyone else they want to retain. We all understand that concept.

No need to get all Billy Walker on us about Sammy boy. There's no doubt the coach intends on Williams playing as little first grade as possible over the next 2 seasons.

He's a pretty handy backup though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I am very impressed by Sam as someone who is a positive influence in a footy club. He's a very good guy, from what I've seen. I'm glad he's staying with the club.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 5, 2019, 9:29 pm
Botman wrote: November 5, 2019, 8:31 pm I would... respectfully... extend that out to the top 17 at least. If not top 20.

I understand what you're saying, but with all due respect, Sam Williams isn't in the squad to cover positions 14 to 17. In any case, blokes like Guler, Horsburgh and Young aren't the guys competing with Williams for salary cap space.

My point is, the club has extended Williams and I'm entirely certain it's not at the expense of anyone else they want to retain. We all understand that concept.

No need to get all Billy Walker on us about Sammy boy. There's no doubt the coach intends on Williams playing as little first grade as possible over the next 2 seasons.

He's a pretty handy backup though.
Hahahahaha PTOOOTFN, Botman!!
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Sezer's been 'set' to sign with Huddersfield for 6 months.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Can Sezer come back from Huddersfield before June 30?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Sid wrote: November 6, 2019, 9:51 am Can Sezer come back from Huddersfield before June 30?

Dear God I hope not.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: November 6, 2019, 10:21 am
Sid wrote: November 6, 2019, 9:51 am Can Sezer come back from Huddersfield before June 30?
Dear God I hope not.
Haha.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

afgtnk wrote: November 5, 2019, 9:26 pm I can definitely see him getting into coaching, seems to fit the exact mould for it and has the right temperament.

Hopefully he's learning a lot from Marra at Mounties, who's a great development coach and very experienced.
Ive been saying that for a few years. I think he seems the type to go that way.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

He's right in that McFadden mould - nifty, decent enough player without being able to hold down a FG spot down for too long or possessing the right physical attributes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders happy with halves problem

The Canberra Raiders have 27 days to finalise any changes before playmakers Aidan Sezer and Sam Williams are due to report back for pre-season training on December 4. But they’re happy to have George and Sam Williams and Aidan Sezer fighting for the No. 7 if need be.

"One position is signed sealed and delivered, and that would be the five-eighth," recruitment guru Peter Mulholland said. "And the other three would be fighting for one."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No option for the second year fir Sam Williams. Simple two year deal.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seems a bit of a surprising article. If Sezer goes there potentially is an option to get another first grade quality player in it seems.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Bay53 wrote: November 7, 2019, 6:34 pm Seems a bit of a surprising article. If Sezer goes there potentially is an option to get another first grade quality player in it seems.
Well there would have to be plenty of money there. Sezer’s contract is already counting toward the cap as of November 1st. So you would assume that if he leaves by December, 1/12 of his value is still on our cap, the remainder is not. We’d have around $460k to bring someone in (if he’s on $500k p/a).

Maybe front load Wighton a bit to ease pressure on the cap the following year if he does re-sign.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: November 7, 2019, 6:34 pm Seems a bit of a surprising article. If Sezer goes there potentially is an option to get another first grade quality player in it seems.
I suspect the club is saying the right thing in public. And Aidan deserves that. He's a very good guy. I suspect that the club is still expecting he will go to Huddersfield.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sezer’s contract extension last year took a fair while to get his signed agreement. It might be a bit less than than many of us think???
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: November 7, 2019, 9:30 pm
I suspect the club is saying the right thing in public. And Aidan deserves that. He's a very good guy. I suspect that the club is still expecting he will go to Huddersfield.
I would hope it's more than an expectation.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

BJ wrote: November 8, 2019, 8:27 am Sezer’s contract extension last year took a fair while to get his signed agreement. It might be a bit less than than many of us think???
Doubt it. If he's on the cheap then he wouldn't have too much trouble staying here and finding a place in the NRL.

It's the same as Blake Austin - we had protracted negotiations where he was expecting even more than the $800k+ p.a. we were willing to give him and could only find that overseas. That goes to show what current halves are going for these days. He eventually priced himself out of the market here.

If you're even a semi-capable half, price yourself well and you'll find suitors.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

afgtnk wrote:
BJ wrote: November 8, 2019, 8:27 am Sezer’s contract extension last year took a fair while to get his signed agreement. It might be a bit less than than many of us think???
Doubt it. If he's on the cheap then he wouldn't have too much trouble staying here and finding a place in the NRL.

It's the same as Blake Austin - we had protracted negotiations where he was expecting even more than the $800k+ p.a. we were willing to give him and could only find that overseas. That goes to show what current halves are going for these days. He eventually priced himself out of the market here.

If you're even a semi-capable half, price yourself well and you'll find suitors.
I’m not saying on the cheap. But maybe closer to 600 than 700k plus.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Happy to see Sam around. Not sure if he will get the second year. It will depend on how Westcott progresses.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Westcott has left the club.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:Westcott has left the club.
So Sammy gets his second year!Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks GE. I did not know Westcott had departed. Where did he go? I thought he showed a lot of potential.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: November 9, 2019, 9:08 am Thanks GE. I did not know Westcott had departed. Where did he go? I thought he showed a lot of potential.
Ronny P says he’s signed with the Roosters/North Sydney Bears. No announcement yet... but he’s over age now... and the Raiders didn’t retain him.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

greeneyed wrote:
RedRaider wrote: November 9, 2019, 9:08 am Thanks GE. I did not know Westcott had departed. Where did he go? I thought he showed a lot of potential.
Ronny P says he’s signed with the Roosters/North Sydney Bears. No announcement yet... but he’s over age now... and the Raiders didn’t retain him.
Thats correct. There have been some quality players let go from a grandfinal 20’s squad. I personally think its going to bite us in a few years. It seems like some young players have back end development deals which in my opinion is dangerous. Some 18 year old guns cant handle top level 20’s/or cup and you end up stuck with them and lose others. Cant keep them all but it adds merit to having our own reserve grade. In particular with the side we had in the 20’s this year. Sam will do the job

OAG
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by OAG »

Ronny P wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Thats correct. There have been some quality players let go from a grandfinal 20’s squad. I personally think its going to bite us in a few years. It seems like some young players have back end development deals which in my opinion is dangerous. Some 18 year old guns cant handle top level 20’s/or cup and you end up stuck with them and lose others. Cant keep them all but it adds merit to having our own reserve grade. In particular with the side we had in the 20’s this year. Sam will do the job

Ronny is correct again! Toby has signed with Norths in the cup squad and relocated last weekend. It will be good for his development as a 7 under Taylor and potentially Cronk at times. He enjoyed his time at Canberra and was disappointed not to be staying. Regardless one door closes another opens. Hopefully one day he may return.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Sam Williams says new Green Machine deal "only a formality now"

Sam Williams will be in the Raiders halves ranks in 2020.

"I think it's all pretty well sorted. I've just got to speak to my agent," he said. "I've been away in Hawaii on my honeymoon. I think we've always been pretty comfortable with how things were, but I've just got to ring him back and make sure she's all done. "I'm quite sure that it's only a formality now."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... cket-team/
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

OAG wrote: November 12, 2019, 10:01 am
Ronny P wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Ronny is correct again! Toby has signed with Norths in the cup squad and relocated last weekend. It will be good for his development as a 7 under Taylor and potentially Cronk at times. He enjoyed his time at Canberra and was disappointed not to be staying. Regardless one door closes another opens. Hopefully one day he may return.

Westcott played junior grades with North Sydney.
OAG
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by OAG »

Bay53 wrote:
Ronny P wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Correct again. Played Harold Matts a year young with Norths before signing with Penrith for 4 years then heading to Canberra. He has signed again with Norths in the cup squad. Charlie Rorke also at Norths.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OAG wrote: November 17, 2019, 7:11 pm
Bay53 wrote:
Ronny P wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Correct again. Played Harold Matts a year young with Norths before signing with Penrith for 4 years then heading to Canberra. He has signed again with Norths in the cup squad. Charlie Rorke also at Norths.

You mean for 2020? Shame if so.