Canberra Raiders re-sign Sam Williams on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Sam Williams on two year deal

Post by julian87 »

Fwiw Sammy Williams became one of a select few Raiders to play first grade ACT cricket on the weekend. Scored 30 odd so must be handy with the willow.

Wrong club though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Maybe he's playing the wrong co... no, i wont do it

That's great for him, he's a good guy and good clubman. Im happy he's going to be here going forward.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

julian87 wrote:Fwiw Sammy Williams became one of a select few Raiders to play first grade ACT cricket on the weekend. Scored 30 odd so must be handy with the willow.

Wrong club though.
Call him up to open for Australia.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders re-sign Sam Williams to end 2021

The Canberra Raiders have officially re-signed halfback Sam Williams on a new two-year deal which will see him remain with the club until the end of the 2021 season.

Williams was off-contract at the end of 2019 but has retained a spot in the Raiders roster for two more years after strong performances for both the Raiders NRL side and feeder club Mounties this season.

Williams said he’s excited about the opportunity to further his career with the Green Machine and play a part in the club’s future success.

“I was always comfortable about getting the deal done and it’s an exciting time to be involved with the club,” Williams said. “We’ve got a good squad and we’re in a position now where we can threaten for a title next year.

“I’m happy to play whatever role I can in getting the trophy down to Raiders HQ.”

Williams said extending his deal with the Raiders had always been his priority and the future was looking bright in Canberra.

“Canberra’s always been home for me, the clubs always been good to me and I’ve had a good relationship with everyone here,” he said. “Professional sport can always take you to different places, but to have two more years here and be part of a squad that has a lot of ability is exciting.”

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the re-signing of Williams gives the Raiders an experienced and established NRL player in a key position as well as a wonderful role model for the club.

“Sam’s always been the utmost professional when it’s come to his time at the club and the way in which he’s been able to approach his game and his attitude is something we value as an organisation,” Furner said. “Sam’s a very experienced first grade player who has a lot to offer to the squad and a player who always comes in and does a great job for the team.”

Canberra Raiders media release

VIDEO: Williams: Canberra is always home: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/11 ... ways-home/

Canberra Raiders re-sign Sam Williams

Finally it's official. The Canberra Raiders have re-signed half Sam Williams for another two years to take him through to the end of the 2021 NRL season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I think we all agree, good depth signing.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Matt wrote:I think we all agree, good depth signing.
For sure.
He’s a great back up to cover injuries or rep duty to our halves. The best thing with Sam is he understands his place in the system and won’t be kicking stones around the group while he’s at Mounties.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

He's one untimely injury away from playing a role in a top 4 quality team. He obviously sees an opportunity there.

Good depth player.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sam Williams wrote:I was always comfortable about getting the deal done and it’s an exciting time to be involved with the club,” Williams said. “We’ve got a good squad and we’re in a position now where we can threaten for a title next year.

“I’m happy to play whatever role I can in getting the trophy down to Raiders HQ.”
What a champ Image hope he gets that for all our sakes Image
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The ultimate club man Sammy. Not many around like him anymore.

The he seems to be a favourite guy around the boys.

I’m a little worried of how George Williams will go, he might take half a year to find his feet or not at all or he could kill it but it’s good to have Sammy there who can do a job if required.

I know Bennett lost his marbles with the Lions side a bit but picking Hastings over George Williams dented my confidence in how George will go

In Ricky We Trust
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Brew wrote: November 27, 2019, 7:03 am The ultimate club man Sammy. Not many around like him anymore.

The he seems to be a favourite guy around the boys.

I’m a little worried of how George Williams will go, he might take half a year to find his feet or not at all or he could kill it but it’s good to have Sammy there who can do a job if required.

I know Bennett lost his marbles with the Lions side a bit but picking Hastings over George Williams dented my confidence in how George will go

It was clear the Lions had one of the worst selected squads (zero centres, 5 half backs who never got to play, only two wingers on tour), poor motivation and poor coaching. GWilly did more in 20 minutes than Hastings over 3 games.

Hasn't changed much for me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Didn't watch any of those Lions games, but the sides Bennett ran out were seriously taking the piss.

Can't knock Williams off the back of awful coaching.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I couldnt give a **** what happened with the Lions.
I'll judge Williams based on his level of play for the Raiders.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: November 27, 2019, 8:37 pm I couldnt give a **** what happened with the Lions.
I'll judge Williams based on his level of play for the Raiders.
Given he didn’t play except for 20 minutes... and in those 20 minutes looked better than any half over four Tests, that’s sensible.