2019 Highs and Lows: Best moment

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

What was the Canberra Raiders best moment of 2019?

Raiders hold Tigers scoreless
No votes
Croker breakes Raiders try scoring record
No votes
Hall of Fame celebrates 1989 anniversary
No votes
Record breaking comeback against Storm
13%
Golden point win over Sharks
No votes
Raiders qualify for Preliminary Final
4%
Josh Papalii wins third Meninga Medal
No votes
Raiders qualify for Grand Final
67%
Grand Final week
No votes
Grand Final Viking Clap
17%

Total votes: 24

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every year, the readers of The Greenhouse vote on the highs and lows of the season just past. 2019 was a year when the highs well outweighed the lows. But, sadly, it was missing the ultimate high. The Player of the Year and Best Back and Forward are determined by the Fans' Choice voting, but all the other categories are determined by fan polls.

In this poll we are voting for the Canberra Raiders 2019 best moment of the year. You have one vote in this poll. If you would like to vote for a moment that is not nominated... just specify your vote for that moment in the thread!

The nominations are:

Brilliant kicking... and the Raiders hold the Tigers scoreless: It was a special night, the Raiders' first appearance at the new Western Sydney Stadium. Canberra kept the Wests Tigers to a duck egg. And an extraordinary display of kicking from the English contingent and their mates set up some remarkable tries. It was capped by an impromtu Viking Clap... with the fans winning in the stands as well.

Jarrod Croker becomes all time Raiders top try scorer: Co-captain Jarrod Croker scored his 120th try against the Sharks in Canberra, equalling Jason Croker's record. He broke the record in Wollongong against the Dragons in Round 17... and that night became the youngest player ever to score 1900 points. He went on to play his 250th game in green in Round 21 against the Roosters - the second youngest player to do so.

Raiders celebrate 30th anniversary of their first premiership... with a new Hall of Fame: The Canberra Raiders celebrated the 30th anniversary of their famous 1989 Grand Final victory, with a 20-12 win over the Tigers in Round 18. It wasn't so much the match... but the manner of the celebrations. The club inaugurated their Hall of Fame at the season launch... and at a gala prior to the Tigers match added three more club figures: inaugural coach Don Furner Snr, inaugural captain David Grant and Jason Croker.

Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame: David Grant, Chris O’Sullivan, Ashley Gilbert, Dean Lance, Gary Belcher, Gary Coyne, John Ferguson, Mal Meninga, Steve Walters, Brent Todd, Laurie Daley, Glenn Lazarus, Bradley Clyde, Ricky Stuart, Jason Croker, Don Furner, Tim Sheens (Coach)

Raiders' record breaking comeback against the Storm: It will go down as one of the most remarkable victories in Canberra Raiders' history. The Raiders played 20 minutes of the first half with 12 men, after Jack Wighton and Joe Tapine were both sent to the sin bin. The Storm scored twice when Wighton and Tapine were off the field, and led 18-0 after 30 minutes. The Storm had never lost after leading by 18 points. Their worst collapse ever was in Sydney in 2004, when they surrendered a 16 point lead against the Rabbitohs. In Round 22, the Raiders scored 22 unanswered points to produce an incredible comeback - in one of the most hostile environments in the NRL.

Golden point win over the Sharks at Cronulla: It was the most extraordinary of golden point victories for the Canberra Raiders in a cauldron. It was a sell out crowd at Cronulla, the final home game ever for the Sharks' captain Paul Gallen, and a match the Sharks had to win to secure a finals spot. The Sharks were primed to be at their most intense for their captain. They dominated possession and territory in the first half - and dominated the scoreboard. The Sharks scored three tries and held the Raiders scoreless. At times Canberra looked weary, after three tough encounters against top four opposition. But in an epic second half, the Raiders came back, scoring twice. And in the end, Aidan Sezer's extraordinary third field goal of the match sealed it for Canberra - and sealed a top four finish for the Green Machine.

John Bateman try... and the Raiders qualify for the Preliminary Final: It seemed like the Storm had iced the game... but then Joe Tapine dislodges a ball... and the next thing we know, Joey Leilua is throwing a flick pass to put John Bateman in under the posts. Jarrod Croker's conversion from in front secured a home Preliminary Final. What celebrations for the travelling band of Raiders fans at the ground!

Josh Papalii wins his third Meninga Medal: Josh Papalii shifted to the middle in 2018, and he became the NRL's best prop in 2019. In the process he won his third Meninga Medal... and a record third Fans' Choice Player of the Year award.

Josh Papalii try... and the Raiders qualify for the Grand Final: It was an historic first Preliminary Final in Canberra, a record crowd. And when Josh Papalii crashed over for the winning try, I've never seen such an outpouring of emotion at Canberra Stadium. The Raiders qualified for their first Grand Final in 25 years. The scenes when Sia Soliola led a post game Viking Clap... incredible.

Grand Final Week: This is a series of moments really, but together, they can't be overlooked. How about the training session at Canberra Stadium for members... when the line just to get in stretched until you could no longer see the end? How about the farewell to the team - and the Viking Horn - as they departed Raiders HQ for Sydney? How about the presentation of the team in Martin Place at the Grand Final Fan Fest? Seeing Canberra fans take over The Brewery and Sydney Olympic Park? How I've longed for those experiences, watched enviously as the fans of other teams soaked them up. Now it was our turn.

Grand Final Viking Clap: Emotional, spine chilling experience. Mal Meninga blows the Viking Horn to start it and a sea of green flags greets the team as the crowd sings the club song.

All the results: Click here
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 Highs and Lows: Best moment

Post by -TW- »

For one moment, hard to go past the Papalli try in the prelim

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Prelim try by Papa. Easy.

25 years of frustration let out by 26,000 hardcore fans in one beautiful moment. That try will go down in history as an 'I was there' moment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: October 24, 2019, 9:44 am For one moment, hard to go past the Papalli try in the prelim

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

It was that or the Grand Final Viking clap for me. I've watched a lot of stuff on YouTube this week posted by the fans. I like this one for the Papalii try. *Language advisory
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Papa crashing over in the Prelim to seal a GF birth.
Gazman
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Gazman »

Batemans try in Melbourne to qualify for the prelim final!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I didn't enjoy the game, but Papalii's try to secure that Prelim Final was pretty sweet. The fact he did it when we had 12 men on the field was even better.

In the absence of that option, I'm gonna say the Grand Final viking clap, for all that it embodied - about our season and the support we had at the game itself. Pretty special moment for all Raiders fans. No **** referee decision can take that moment away from me.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on October 24, 2019, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 24, 2019, 2:48 pm I didn't enjoy the game, but Papalii's try to secure that Prelim Final was pretty sweet. The fact he did it when we had 12 men on the field was even better.

In the absence of that option, I'm gonna say the Grand Final viking clap, for all that it embodied - about our season and the support we had at the game itself. Pretty special moment for all Raiders fans.
That option is there.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: October 24, 2019, 2:50 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 24, 2019, 2:48 pm I didn't enjoy the game, but Papalii's try to secure that Prelim Final was pretty sweet. The fact he did it when we had 12 men on the field was even better.

In the absence of that option, I'm gonna say the Grand Final viking clap, for all that it embodied - about our season and the support we had at the game itself. Pretty special moment for all Raiders fans.
That option is there.
I can only see the game, not the try itself. I didn't particularly enjoy the game - just the try and the result.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I voted our comeback win against the Storm, although when Papalii scored that try I was the happiest I've ever been in my life... or will be again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

That option is there.
I can only see the game, not the try itself. I didn't particularly enjoy the game - just the try and the result.
The poll options have to be short... but if you read the story...
greeneyed wrote:Josh Papalii try... and the Raiders qualify for the Grand Final: It was an historic first Preliminary Final in Canberra, a record crowd. And when Josh Papalii crashed over for the winning try, I've never seen such an outpouring of emotion at Canberra Stadium. The Raiders qualified for their first Grand Final in 25 years. The scenes when Sia Soliola led a post game Viking Clap... incredible.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: October 24, 2019, 3:17 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

That option is there.
The poll options have to be short... but if you read the story...
greeneyed wrote:Josh Papalii try... and the Raiders qualify for the Grand Final: It was an historic first Preliminary Final in Canberra, a record crowd. And when Josh Papalii crashed over for the winning try, I've never seen such an outpouring of emotion at Canberra Stadium. The Raiders qualified for their first Grand Final in 25 years. The scenes when Sia Soliola led a post game Viking Clap... incredible.
It's all good. I just voted for the Grand Final clap. I loved that moment.

The Souths game left me feeling a bit hollow to be honest. Other than the Papa try it was a bit ordinary. I understand that most people voting for that game are either voting for the try or the win itself.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This poll will close on Sunday... so if you haven't voted yet, jump in now!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

What if I don't want to?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Vote anyway!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Yes, mum!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33707&p=1705678#p1705678
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not many best moments there for one of the Grand Final teams either... one just a try celebration.

At least they included the Papalii Preliminary Final try.

Plus Sezer's golden point field goal.

Guess they forgot to include #SixAgain and #Trainergate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Agree with No. 1 but some better moments missed.