2019 Highs and Lows: Worst loss

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

What was the Canberra Raiders worst loss of 2019?

Round 2 - Storm 22 - Raiders 10
4%
Round 7 - Sea Eagles 24 - Raiders 20
4%
Round 11 - Cowboys 22 - Raiders 16
28%
Round 15 - Eels 22 - Raiders 16
48%
Round 23 - Sea Eagles 18 - Raiders 14
No votes
Round 25 - Warriors 24 - Raiders 20
16%

Total votes: 25

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every year, the readers of The Greenhouse vote on the highs and lows of the season just past. 2019 was a year when the highs well outweighed the lows. But, sadly, it was missing the ultimate high. The Player of the Year and Best Back and Forward are determined by the Fans' Choice voting, but all the other categories are determined by fan polls.

In this poll we are voting for the Canberra Raiders 2019 worst loss of the year. In the Raiders' best season in 25 years, it is no surprise that it's a struggle to find too many nominees for "worst loss". The Raiders only lost one match by more than six points.

I considered including the Grand Final. What can be "worse" than losing a Grand Final? But the performance was one to be proud of, not one that anyone could be disappointed in. We can be disappointed in the result, but not the performance. It is why I've excluded the regular season loss to the Rabbitohs... and the regular season losses to the Roosters... even if there were disappointing aspects, there were other reasons to be pleased with the performances. That's true, even in the case of some of the nominated matches.

You have one vote in this poll. If you would like to vote for a victory that is not nominated... just specify your vote for the game in the thread!

The nominations are:

Round 2 2019. Melbourne Storm 22 - Canberra Raiders 10. It was billed as a litmus test for the Canberra Raiders, and so it proved to be. Canberra was playing against one of the benchmark teams and the match showed how far off the benchmark the Raiders were - at the time. The Storm dominated in the first half, and they led 14-0 after 30 minutes. It was where the game was won and lost. Canberra's pack was out-muscled and the Raiders struggled to make the 40 metre line in attack, set after set. Under pressure, the Raiders play makers too often didn't choose the right options - and there were too many crucial errors and penalties conceded. The Storm had all the possession and territory in the first forty. It swung around in the second half, and the Raiders came back with a brace of tries to Jarrod Croker. But the match never really looked like it was out of Melbourne's keeping. Remarkably, it was the only game that the Raiders lost all season by more than six points.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33169&start=70#p1645555

Round 7 2019. Manly Sea Eagles 24 - Canberra Raiders 20. It was ultimately a disappointing performance from the Canberra Raiders - given the bright start, which saw the Raiders go to an early 12-0 lead. The Raiders were disrupted by injury to Jordan Rapana. But, the Manly Sea Eagles were more seriously disrupted by the loss of half back Daly Cherry-Evans early in the second half. When he left the field, most expected the Raiders would go on to win. The remaining Sea Eagles had other ideas. The Sea Eagles produced off load after off load - and the Raiders' defence was repeatedly unable to wrap up the ball and stop the second phase play. The Raiders were also ill disciplined, and gave away far too many penalties - and that just added to the Sea Eagles' momentum.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33169&start=245#p1655355

Round 11 2019. North Queensland Cowboys 22 - Canberra Raiders 16. It was a disappointing performance from the Canberra Raiders, the worst of the year to date. The Raiders were seriously affected to injuries to key players and they lost another during the match, with Josh Hodgson leaving the field with a suspected broken thumb. But the Raiders looked flat after two close losses, in intense matches against the top two teams.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33169&start=315#p1663599

Round 15 2019. Parramatta Eels 22 - Canberra Raiders 16. The Canberra Raiders played well against the Eels in Darwin for 35 minutes. The energy was good. They completion rates were good. The forwards were making big in roads in the middle. The kicking was outstanding and the Raiders controlled the territory and tempo of the game. Canberra was starting their sets on their 30 metre line, the Eels on their goal line. The Raiders scored three good tries. They then conceded 22 unanswered points. The Raiders repeatedly invited the Eels back into the contest. The completion rates went out of the window. There were some awful errors, silly penalties and soft tries conceded.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33169&start=315#p1672483

Round 23 2019. Manly Sea Eagles 18 - Canberra Raiders 14. It was for the most part, an ugly, stop-start affair. There were 16 penalties in the first half and 26 overall. The Sea Eagles came to Canberra Stadium with their usual tactics - to niggle, stand off side, get off the line "early" on the edges and slow the game whenever the Raiders were in possession. It was frustrating, and despite that, the Raiders were the better team for a good part of the game. The bottom line, however, is that the Raiders were sucked in by the Sea Eagles' niggling tactics and were ill disciplined at crucial times.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33169&start=455#p1688001

Round 25 2019. New Zealand Warriors 24 - Canberra Raiders 20. It was a disappointing way to end the regular season. Going into the match, the Raiders knew that they had secured a top four spot. A win would have delivered a third placed finish and a trip to Sydney for a clash with the Roosters. The Raiders chose to rest players, but the team selected was good enough to get the win... but didn't deliver get the job done.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33169&start=455#p1692740

All the results: Click here
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Highs and Lows: Worst loss

Post by gangrenous »

Half my vote to the Eels game for botching the win. Most disappointing loss.

Half a point for the Storm game which was the only game all season where at no point did I think we would win. Worst overall performance.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We don’t do half points! Time to get off the fence!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Forced to choose. Darwin.

Storm was early in the season, the team saw the benchmark and improved to defeat that benchmark twice later in the season. The fact there was only one game they were dominated in is a huge achievement in itself.

So I’ll go Darwin as a game that should have been won.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I know we played really well and i know it was not even CLOSE to our worst performance. IN fact performance wise it was one our very best.

But i dont know how it gets any worse than losing the GF. I still find myself in the car and randomly thinking of the game and giving a deep sigh in disappointment. I never want to see a highlights package or anything to do with the game again. No sports loss in my life hit me as hard that loss did.

Its the only option for me
Last edited by Botman on October 23, 2019, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Cows game is my vote. We looked flat and disinterested against a bad team.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd agree it's the GF. I won't remember the rest of these for long but that one will always hurt.

Otherwise I voted Eels but didn't see the Eagles game. That was the worst. The cows/eels were just off days but I knew we would bounce back.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 23, 2019, 9:00 am I know we played really well and i know it was not even CLOSE to our worst performance. IN fact performance wise it was one our very best.

But i dont know how it gets any worse than losing the GF. I still find myself in the car and randomly thinking of the game and giving a deep sigh in disappointment. I never want to see a highlights package or anything to do with the game again. No sports loss in my life hit me as hard that loss did.

It gets the emotional disappointment vote, no doubt, but for all the other reasons you state, this inst our worst loss.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: October 23, 2019, 9:33 am
Botman wrote: October 23, 2019, 9:00 am I know we played really well and i know it was not even CLOSE to our worst performance. IN fact performance wise it was one our very best.

It gets the emotional disappointment vote, no doubt, but for all the other reasons you state, this inst our worst loss.
The question wasnt worst performance. It was worst loss.
Again, i dont know how a loss gets worse than in the GF. 2 years from now you'll never remember those 5.
You'll go to your grave remembering the GF loss
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 23, 2019, 9:44 am

Again, i dont know how a loss gets worse than in the GF. 2 years from now you'll never remember those 5.
True, but the intention of the Q is performance based, and I think we can all agree, the GF wasnt a bad performance by any stretch of the imagination.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

For me, the worst moment is going to be full time in the Grand Final. Not a shadow of a doubt. It is the worst moment for 25 years. But the Grand Final can't be the worst loss, IMO... but everyone is entitled to their vote!

People can vote for the Grand Final... by listing it in a post.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Yes, I concur the low point was losing the grand final. Probably the lowest point was Tedesco running into score the winner.
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

My worst loss is the Cowboys game. It's a game we should have won easily, and didn't turn up. I can understand the Storm (short turnaround after underwater game) and Eels (bloody hot) losses
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: October 23, 2019, 9:44 am

Agree.

Though by that token, shouldn't the Prelim final win be the best then?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: October 23, 2019, 11:36 am Agree.

Though by that token, shouldn't the Prelim final win be the best then?
I think given the strength of opposition and the fact the Wk 1 game was on the road, as heavy underdogs, and that that win give us the "Easy" path to a GF tipped the scales in favour of Wk 1... Ultimately i think the win against the storm ultimately had the greatest impact on our GF hopes, but to me it was a 2 horse race between those two.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Cowboys for me too, it was easily our worst performance of the year against a team we should’ve completely dusted and I was so angry afterwards
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Not many to choose from than god.

The Manly loss at home was dissapointing.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: October 23, 2019, 1:30 pm Cowboys for me too, it was easily our worst performance of the year against a team we should’ve completely dusted and I was so angry afterwards
That was No. 2 for me.

I voted Eels loss in Darwin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That loss to the Warriors left me very flat. I wonder what might have happened if the Raiders finished third and played the Roosters at the SCG in Week 1?
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Performance - vs Cowboys

Hurt Wise - GF

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Eels in Darwin

That was a performance from the last few years

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cows at home, Eels in Darwin and Eagles at Brookie were all horrible performances.

The way we capitulated against the Eels takes the cake though. Probably the worst 40 minutes we have played in years. Terrible stuff.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Agree with the comments on the GF loss. In 20 years time, (hopefully whilst reflecting on a number of premierships) we won’t sit here and talk about the disappointment of losing to the Eels in Darwin, it is the GF that counts.

However, I understand the criteria and for me by far the worst loss was the Cowboys game. We played really poorly against a side that kept giving us a chance. We then went to 6 and 5 and with Hodgo gone on top of a number of other injuries I felt we were just going to be in the scrap to make the last couple of spots in the 8.

Eels game was disappointing no doubt but we had played really well for the first 30 so i didn’t ever think that we were off track even if I thought those 2 points would be costly.

Ironic thing is in the end no home and away loss mattered. The only thing you can do is make the top 4 and win the first week thus getting a week off and a home prelim. We did that. If we were 24-0 in the H&A season we could have only been in the same position.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I can’t see how anyone could rate the Storm loss as our worst. Honestly that was the game that gave me hope. I was pretty rapt after it actually.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote: October 24, 2019, 12:07 pm I can’t see how anyone could rate the Storm loss as our worst. Honestly that was the game that gave me hope. I was pretty rapt after it actually.
Yeah, me too. I wasn't upset against any of the Storm, Roosters or Bunnies losses, as we hung in there in all four games... not counting the GF obviously. That was the one we NEEDED to win.
Gazman
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Gazman »

Raiders vs eels in Darwin for mine.

A loss that brought back so many bad memories from the last two years!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: October 24, 2019, 12:07 pm I can’t see how anyone could rate the Storm loss as our worst. Honestly that was the game that gave me hope. I was pretty rapt after it actually.
That's really interesting. The game highlighted to me how bad our attack was likely to be. We didn't even look like scoring, but I guess we stuck in there and played to the end.

It was a pretty ordinary game though.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Grand final.

The better team lost

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 24, 2019, 3:06 pm
That's really interesting. The game highlighted to me how bad our attack was likely to be. We didn't even look like scoring, but I guess we stuck in there and played to the end.

It is the biggest defeat in terms of margin... and that in itself is revealing. It was good to see the Raiders show some life in the second half, but overall it showed how far behind the Raiders were are that point of the season. Certainly one of the poorer performances, in my view, though not the worst.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: October 24, 2019, 3:23 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 24, 2019, 3:06 pm

It is the biggest defeat in terms of margin... and that in itself is revealing. It was good to see the Raiders show some life in the second half, but overall it showed how far behind the Raiders were are that point of the season. Certainly one of the poorer performances, in my view, though not the worst.
Yeah, there were certainly worse games IMO, and there was some context to why we looked so flat in that particular game (short turnaround etc), but I certainly didn't walk away from it feeling confident about our season. We were well off the mark in that match.

It's funny how different people see different things in games I guess!
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I thought our defence was really structured. Yes they went around us early but we were really strong up the middle where we had normally been really weak.

Perhaps it showed my expectations of the season but I just thought for most of the game we matched it with the best team.

I didn’t think we looked flat.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We will close this poll tomorrow... so if you haven't voted, then jump in now!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33707&p=1705678#p1705678