Opposition coach says Canberra Raiders Ricky Stuart's Rugby Union World Cup presence 'weird'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Opposition coach says Canberra Raiders Ricky Stuart's Rugby Union World Cup presence 'weird'

Post by greeneyed »

Michael Cheika says it will be a 'weird' for England players to have Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart in their inner sanctum ahead of a quarter-final.

"It must be weird for the players having an Aussie, because Ricky is a legend. He's a dual international and a tough man. Had a great season with the Raiders this year. They played such good footy. It was a very tough grand final they played in. I'd say it might be a bit weird for them."

Read more: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rug ... ence-weird

Michael Cheika questions worth of Ricky Stuart working with England: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... st-england
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Opposition coach says Canberra Raiders Ricky Stuart's Rugby Union World Cup presence 'weird'

Post by Billy Walker »

Michael Cheika is an A grade dud. A below average footballer and even worse coach.
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Opposition coach says Canberra Raiders Ricky Stuart's Rugby Union World Cup presence 'weird'

Post by T_R »

I'd imagine that the England rugby team would be quite used at this point to having an Australian in their inner sanctum, considering that their coach is...you know, Australian.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I think it's great that Stick has gone to visit Eddie Jones to see what he can learn.

Obviously there's also an element of it being a junket, but Jones is someone who goes to guys like Pep Guardiola (i.e. the cream of the crop) to see what he can learn about coaching and preparation.

Side note: The company I work for has had the unpleasurable experience of dealing with Michael Cheika a couple of times. I can confirm that he is an A grade ****.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 15, 2019, 5:22 pm I think it's great that Stick has gone to visit Eddie Jones to see what he can learn.

Obviously there's also an element of it being a junket, but Jones is someone who goes to guys like Pep Guardiola (i.e. the cream of the crop) to see what he can learn about coaching and preparation.

Side note: The company I work for has had the unpleasurable experience of dealing with Michael Cheika a couple of times. I can confirm that he is an A grade ****.
Woah. That's saying a LOT coming from you, old friend.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

If there's an authority figure on weirdness then it's Cheika. Take this as gospel - it is weird.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Given Cheika subscribes to weird is normal, not sure I give 2 hoots about what he thinks is weird
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Why does he care?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: October 15, 2019, 4:59 pm I'd imagine that the England rugby team would be quite used at this point to having an Australian in their inner sanctum, considering that their coach is...you know, Australian.
:lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Cheikas just pissed that Ricky's not hanging out in the Wobblies inter sanctum. Seeing how it operates, absorbing wisdom...

Cuz ya know..they stink !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

If you take note of what he is saying he is actually not bagging stuart at all.

Does anyone else think stuart could be thinking about who the next UK target might be? I dont watch rugby, but i assume that there could be some good players worth considering?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

FROG wrote: October 16, 2019, 5:14 am If you take note of what he is saying he is actually not bagging stuart at all.

Does anyone else think stuart could be thinking about who the next UK target might be? I dont watch rugby, but i assume that there could be some good players worth considering?
I don't think this visit is about recruiting but more about what he can learn from a successful coach like Eddie Jones
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:18 am
FROG wrote: October 16, 2019, 5:14 am If you take note of what he is saying he is actually not bagging stuart at all.

I don't think this visit is about recruiting but more about what he can learn from a successful coach like Eddie Jones
I think the benefit would be reciprocal - if the Poms run out to a Viking clap we will know Ricky has been influential!