All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Team List Tuesday!

Post by Botman »

Im contemplating a fun off season idea

I could start a thread where i post the blurbs about my "I got it wrong top 17" without names... you must name your 17, and then guess mine based on the blurbs
The first person to successfully guess my full 17, gets the rights to play a "**** off card" once during the regular season... where by if im arguing anything at all, you can play that card and i must immediately **** the **** off and not post on that topic again

gangers, you could really use this one, friend!!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’ll play your game. But imma need 15 of these “cards” you speak of...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 17, 2019, 7:29 pm I’ll play your game. But imma need 15 of these “cards” you speak of...
:lol: :lol:
No chance im giving up that!

Besides you'd only waste them, and id be back on your **** by week 6!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You better believe I’d save a couple of strategic ones just to annoy you. Maybe the 2020 grand final game day thread or something
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

haha. You're a monster.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Team List Tuesday!

Post by Sid »

1. Massey
2. Justin Carney (horrible injury)
3. James Stuart
4. Daniel Vidot
5. Matt Gafa
6. Cornish
7. Orford
8. S Boyd (mainstay for Australia)
9 Travis Waddell
10. LUKE PAGE (epitome of this list)
11. TLL (injuries)
12. Bronson Harrison (later years)
13. Luke Bateman

14. Shane Shackleton
15. Mick Picker
16. Jarrad Kennedy
17. Mosese Pangai

There was also a Mounties winger who Roosters snatched up a few years back, I forget the name

Admittedly a lot of these players haven’t stunk, with my green eyes I had higher expectations
Last edited by Sid on October 17, 2019, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Jono Reuben?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

-TW- wrote:Jono Reuben?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
That’s the one!

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

1. I really loved this guy coming through. I remember thinking at worst he'd be a really tough and good middle of the road NRL fullback. Like a poor mans Schifcofske.
2. Point scoring WIZARD in junior footy, Jarrod Croker has basically had the career i expected of this guy.
3. Horrific injury, without i think he could have been a monster physically.
4. Rinse and repeat of above. Loved his game, was a very smart and heady player.
5. Ill die on this hill. If this guy had even two **** brain cells to rub together would be the best winger in the world. He was big and strong, was a strong baller carrier out of our end, in open field he was fast and in tight spaced a brilliant finisher. Just one of the dumbest footballers ive ever seen. No footy IQ at all.
6. Without the off the field issues this guy would have been the best player in the world and dragged us to a title like JT did. So much wasted potential.
7. Didnt get a lot of opportunties and when he did, didnt do enough with them. Looked to have a very bright future in junior footy. And so soon after Todd Carney fiasco which helped raise the hopes for him
8. God, he looked like the next big thing in the front row for about 4-5 seconds there. He tailed off in his last year for us, went to another club and brought unprecedented levels of stink.
9. A common theme running through here, lot of players from those successful PL/U20's sides that never kicked on. I remember thinking this player was the safest of that crop of kids. Yikes!
10. One of the best front rowers in the game, local kid! And his Raiders time will be a footnote in his career. Real shame
11. I still think if Campese stays healthy, this guy ends up having a Gavin Cooper level career.
12. One of the greatest backrowers to ever play the game. Superstar, and he left the club after 4 years. Could have been a Raiders legend.
13. Not really his fault. He played his heart out for this club in a period that was so bleak that a player just busting his **** was the bell of our ball. But the game passed him by very quickly, he went from a guy who could play state footy to being totally unusable in about 18 months.

14. Maybe controversial, because he wasnt that bad. But another who i think could have and should have had a bigger impact on our team than he did.
15. Another potentially controversial selection. Ended up having a good career elsewhere and was a key in their premiership year. But what does that do for us? All promise, followed by injuries, set backs, more promise and rinse and repeat.
16. More controversy! but when ever i think of him i just have disappointment in my heart. He could have... he should have been soo much more.
17. Off the back of a really good year for another club, he came here played VERY limited games, against popular belief i think he was great in them all and then was forced into retirement with injury. I think he could have been awesome for us. I will fight you if you disagree
Last edited by Botman on October 18, 2019, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Team List Tuesday!

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:1. I really loved this guy coming through. I remember thinking at worst he'd be a really tough and good middle of the road NRL fullback. Like a poor mans Schifcofske.
2. Point scoring WIZARD in junior footy, Jarrod Croker has basically had the career i expected of this guy.
4. Rinse and repeat of above. Loved his game, was a very smart and heady player.
5. Ill die on this hill. If this guy had even two **** brain cells to rub together would be the best winger in the world. He was big and strong, was a strong baller carrier out of our end, in open field he was fast and in tight spaced a brilliant finisher. Just one of the dumbest footballers ive ever seen. No footy IQ at all.
6. Without the off the field issues this guy would have been the best player in the world and dragged us to a title like JT did. So much wasted potential.
7. Didnt get a lot of opportunties and when he did, didnt do enough with them. Looked to have a very bright future in junior footy. And so soon after Todd Carney fiasco which helped raise the hopes for him
8. God, he looked like the next big thing in the front row for about 4-5 seconds there. He tailed off in his last year for us, went to another club and brought unprecedented levels of stink.
9. A common theme running through here, lot of players from those successful PL/U20's sides that never kicked on. I remember thinking this player was the safest of that crop of kids. Yikes!
10. One of the best front rowers in the game, local kid! And his Raiders time will be a footnote in his career. Real shame
11. I still think if Campese stays healthy, this guy ends up having a Gavin Cooper level career.
12. One of the greatest backrowers to ever play the game. Superstar, and he left the club after 2 years. Could have been a Raiders legend.
13. Not really his fault. He played his heart out for this club in a period that was so bleak that a player just busting his **** was the bell of our ball. But the game passed him by very quickly, he went from a guy who could play state footy to being totally unusable in about 18 months.

14. Maybe controversial, because he wasnt that bad. But another who i think could have and should have had a bigger impact on our team than he did.
15. Another potentially controversial selection. Ended up having a good career elsewhere and was a key in their premiership year. But what does that do for us? All promise, followed by injuries, set backs, more promise and rinse and repeat.
16. More controversy! but when ever i think of him i just have disappointment in my heart. He could have... he should have been soo much more.
17. Off the back of a really good year for another club, he came here played VERY limited games, against popular belief i think he was great in them all and then was forced into retirement with injury. I think he could have been awesome for us. I will fight you if you disagree
1. Jack Ahearn
2. Royston Lightning
3. Justin Carney
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Todd carney
7. Cornish
8. S Boyd
9. Waddell
10. B Kite
11 Thurling
12 TPJ
13 Fensom (next guess Tongue)

15 Dugan
17 Matt Adamson

Some of these are a real stab

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

A couple of hits... Mostly misses.
Think you nailed the obvious ones
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Team List Tuesday!

Post by Sid »

Came here early to pick the low hanging fruit, even the ones that are not yet ripe
Last edited by Sid on October 17, 2019, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

11 is Picker i'd say.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Team List Tuesday!

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:1. I really loved this guy coming through. I remember thinking at worst he'd be a really tough and good middle of the road NRL fullback. Like a poor mans Schifcofske.
12. One of the greatest backrowers to ever play the game. Superstar, and he left the club after 2 years. Could have been a Raiders legend.

1. David Milne
2. Matt Gafa
3. Justin Carney
4. Jimmy Evans
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Todd carney
7. Mitch Cornish
8. Shannon Boyd
9. Travis Waddell
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Joe Picker
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Shaun Fensom

I’m not going to attempt the bench players, because without positions, they could almost be anyone.
Last edited by The Nickman on October 17, 2019, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I reckon the Pig has Bronx Goodwin, Weyman, Vaughan, Dobson, Joe Picker, maybe Ben Kennedy (although he was here four years), Evans, Gafa, White, Kite, and potentially Milford on the bench

Waddell, Vidot, Carney x 2, Boyd, and Fensom seem obvious
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah there’s no way Pig’s compiling that list without Smokin Joe Picker.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Coach: A guy that was promoted from assistant to head coach as if it were destiny, for five seasons. Previously coached reserve grade with little success despite possessing a stacked roster. Got the head coach job mainly because of his surname and being a quality second rower in his playing days here. Played a boring, bland style of football and oversaw a poor professional playing culture. Often neglected our spine and loaded injury prone forwards on big money.

Wait, is that too hard? Ok, I'll give a clue: David F. No no no, that's too obvious. How about D Furner.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mea culpa on #12
It is Ben Kennedy, I got the years wrong

So that one locked in

The bench is
14: utility
15: front row
16: front row
17: back row
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also Shannon Boyd is NOT in my line up
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Team List Tuesday!

Post by The Nickman »

Well 15 is obviously Mick Weyman

I actually had LUKE PAGE before I edited it to Shannon Boyd
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Team List Tuesday!

Post by gangrenous »

Let’s have a shot at the bench;
14. Baptiste
15. Weyman
16. TLL
17. Orford nah Adamson
Last edited by gangrenous on October 18, 2019, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I’d like to know how many I got correct before we go any further
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

14 is Costigan perhaps?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Reckon 8 is FPN
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

How are we supposed to guess number 14 based on the ridiculous clues he gave us? This game is stupid, I’m going outside

And it was a baby ox!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Team List Tuesday!

Post by gangrenous »

1. Zac Santo
2. Matt Gafa
3. Justin Carney
4. Jimmy Evans
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Todd carney
7. Mitch Cornish
8. FPN
9. Travis Waddell
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Joe Picker
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Shaun Fensom

14. Baptiste
15. Weyman
16. TLL
17. Adamson

15 get out of pigman jail cards please
Last edited by gangrenous on October 18, 2019, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: October 18, 2019, 6:47 am I’d like to know how many I got correct before we go any further
11/13 correct

#14 is a typical hooker utility. Played some games in the halves
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How many for my edit based on 11/13 now piggles?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

14 is Lincoln Withers
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 18, 2019, 6:58 am 1. Zac Santo
2. Matt Gafa
3. Justin Carney
4. Jimmy Evans
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Todd carney
7. Mitch Cornish
8. FPN
9. Travis Waddell
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Joe Picker
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Shaun Fensom

14. Baptiste
15. Weyman
16. TLL
17. Adamson

15 get out of pigman jail cards please Image
No bueno

13/17
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
The Rickman wrote: October 18, 2019, 6:47 am I’d like to know how many I got correct before we go any further
11/13 correct

Did I get fullback and prop wrong?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Team List Tuesday!

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote:14 is Lincoln Withers
Ah yes, that fits better
Last edited by gangrenous on October 18, 2019, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Team List Tuesday!

Post by gangrenous »

gangrenous wrote:1. Zac Santo
2. Matt Gafa
3. Justin Carney
4. Jimmy Evans
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Todd carney
7. Mitch Cornish
8. FPN
9. Travis Waddell
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Joe Picker
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Shaun Fensom

14. Withers
15. Weyman
16. TLL
17. Adamson

15 get out of pigman jail cards please Image
Shamelessly stealing Withers

Screwed up so many edits just now...
Last edited by gangrenous on October 18, 2019, 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: October 18, 2019, 7:11 am
Botman wrote:
11/13 correct

Did I get fullback and prop wrong?
I can’t make it that easy!
You’re putting the pieces together though!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Maybe number 1 is William Zillman? Although I always thought at his best he’d be an out and out superstar.

And I really think he would’ve been if he didn’t blow his knee and then blow his career