NRL calls on fans to voice their opinion

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

After implementing changes to create a more free-flowing competition this year, NRL head of football Graham Annesley wants fans to give their views on the state of the game on the field.

Through a 26-question survey on NRL.com, supporters have the opportunity to provide direct feedback on what is working well and where the game could improve.

Answer the questionnaire: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5D3DDN9

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/14/nrl ... r-opinion/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRL calls on fans to voice their opinion

Post by greeneyed »

The disturbing thing about the survey is the very large number of potential rule changes that the NRL has dreamed up. They need to fix #Trainergate and #6again... five minute sin bins and that's about it. Focus on fixing the refereeing standards!

They seem to be still considering a change to the one on one steal rule... have your say, Canberra Raiders fans!

There is one free form box in which you can give your opinions in... use it wisely!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

At least they are canvassing opinions and not just leaving it to coaches who couldn't care less about entertainment value.

For the free form I suggested the tackle count restart for minor infringements and the use of a 5 minute bin to offset more offenses resulting from it. I think kicks for touch are far too big a penalty for most offenses.

Actually enforcing the 10 metres in the finals would be the best change but I doubt that will get done.

It would be great if they had a similar survey done for off field issues like the cap.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Here's a sense of some of the rule and other changes they're considering:

One on one steals... Do you believe this has been a positive change?
Fewer scrums... if the rules catered for this?
Restart play with play the ball or tap kick rather than a scrum for minor infringements like knock ons and forward passes?
Missed penalty kick that goes dead... rather than a 20m drop out by the infringing team, hand the ball to the infringing team for a 20m tap kick.
More intervention from bunker to get decisions right?
Introduce new technology to help bunker decide if players are offside from kicks in point scoring situations?
Golden point... maintain as is; mandatory 10 minutes extra time; golden try; each team should get the opportunity to possess the ball; draw after 80 minutes.
Five minute sin bin?
2017 judiciary changes to introduce fines for minor offences... are they appropriate?
Should repeat offenders be treated more harshly in judiciary?
Should judiciary only be made up of ex-players?
Live stream judiciary hearings?
Is wrestling a major problem?
Reduce time that trainers spend on the field?
Change the number of games per season from 24... 15, 22, 23, 30?
Origin... as is, or all on Wednesday night, or all as stand alones
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Nothing about refereeing standards.

Carry on NRL.

That's my gripe, it's terrible.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: October 14, 2019, 11:15 am Here's a sense of some of the rule and other changes they're considering:

One on one steals... Do you believe this has been a positive change?
Fewer scrums... if the rules catered for this?
Restart play with play the ball or tap kick rather than a scrum for minor infringements like knock ons and forward passes?
Missed penalty kick that goes dead... rather than a 20m drop out by the infringing team, hand the ball to the infringing team for a 20m tap kick.
More intervention from bunker to get decisions right?
Introduce new technology to help bunker decide if players are offside from kicks in point scoring situations?
Golden point... maintain as is; mandatory 10 minutes extra time; golden try; each team should get the opportunity to possess the ball; draw after 80 minutes.
Five minute sin bin?
2017 judiciary changes to introduce fines for minor offences... are they appropriate?
Should repeat offenders be treated more harshly in judiciary?
Should judiciary only be made up of ex-players?
Live stream judiciary hearings?
Is wrestling a major problem?
Reduce time that trainers spend on the field?
Change the number of games per season from 24... 15, 22, 23, 30?
Origin... as is, or all on Wednesday night, or all as stand alones
Some of my thoughts on these questions.

Fewer scrums... if the rules catered for this? - Yes. Scrums are relatively obselete and only create a break in play. For errors in the field of play just have a change over. Only use scrums when the ball goes out of play as the game has already stopped.

Missed penalty kick that goes dead... rather than a 20m drop out by the infringing team, hand the ball to the infringing team for a 20m tap kick. - Dumb idea. Shifts the advantage to a team giving the penalty away. We will only see more penalties given away as a result as risk is diminished.

More intervention from bunker to get decisions right? - If I had confidence the bunker would get it right I'd say yes. However I have no such confidence in the bunker.

Introduce new technology to help bunker decide if players are offside from kicks in point scoring situations? - Absolutely if its available, but not if it means bunker decisions take too long.

Golden point... maintain as is; mandatory 10 minutes extra time; golden try; each team should get the opportunity to possess the ball; draw after 80 minutes. - Golden point in its current form sucks. For regular season I prefer it remains a draw after 80 mins. If the feel its necessary to have extra time then make it 10 mins extra time only stopped by 'Golden Try'.

Five minute sin bin? - Yes. Refs will be more likely to use it for foul play and repeat offenses. 10 min sin bin can be for more serious offenses such as fould play which causes injury to the opposition or professional fouls in try scoring situations.

2017 judiciary changes to introduce fines for minor offences... are they appropriate? - Yes, plus I would increase the number and value of the fines.

Should repeat offenders be treated more harshly in judiciary? - yes.

Should judiciary only be made up of ex-players? - Only if you can find competent ones. Buettner is an ex-player who heads up the MRC and that's a **** joke.

Live stream judiciary hearings? - Not critical but not a bad idea. Would be less controversy if people could see the evidence presented.

Is wrestling a major problem? - Yep. Has been for a decade or more. Wake up NRL.

Reduce time that trainers spend on the field? - Without doubt. Another problem thats been around way too long. Just took the GF incident for the NRL to finally recognise it.

Change the number of games per season from 24... 15, 22, 23, 30? - I think it worked well this year with 24 games and one bye.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: October 14, 2019, 11:26 am Nothing about refereeing standards.

Carry on NRL.

That's one of the comments I've made in my free form comments... suggest that if others have the same issue, that's the place to raise it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 11:48 am
Missed penalty kick that goes dead... rather than a 20m drop out by the infringing team, hand the ball to the infringing team for a 20m tap kick. - Dumb idea. Shifts the advantage to a team giving the penalty away. We will only see more penalties given away as a result as risk is diminished.
The craziest, dumbest idea there... and I can't say I've ever seen this suggestion made by anyone else in the game... ever!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: October 14, 2019, 12:25 pm

Carry on NRL.

That's one of the comments I've made in my free form comments... suggest that if others have the same issue, that's the place to raise it.
All this technology, two refs, endless camera angles and the benefit of slow mo..

Duck egg !!!

I can't push this hard enough..they need to fix it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: October 14, 2019, 12:33 pm

Carry on NRL.

All this technology, two refs, endless camera angles and the benefit of slow mo..

Duck egg !!!

Funny part is in the initial rounds I thought the standard of officialdom was as good as it's been in a long time. There was very little talk about it which says their doing a decent job. They then progressively fell into old habits of inconsistency. Both on and off field.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 12:42 pm
-PJ- wrote: October 14, 2019, 12:33 pm

Carry on NRL.

Duck egg !!!

Funny part is in the initial rounds I thought the standard of officialdom was as good as it's been in a long time. There was very little talk about it which says their doing a decent job. They then progressively fell into old habits of inconsistency. Both on and off field.
I've played, watched, and loved rugby league all my life. Even as a kid my dad always said that refs will make mistakes..dust yrself off and get on with it !! Some calls go your way, some don't !!

It's absolutely bizarre to me in 2019 that even when a ref or touchie makes the wrong call they can change it..yes I'm still thinking about 8 nights ago. I'm dumbfounded by the whole thing.

But hey, we are not getting a replay, we are not getting an apology.

Referees making wrong calls will happen forever, changing decisions on the run is criminal !!!

What is the NRL doing about it ?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think the NRL is great and Gerard Sutton is a wonderful referee....hang on, no I don’t... I’ve changed my mind!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think it’s the frustration of being on the wrong side of the two key referee overturns of the last decade. Sharks game Touchie flag and now the six again GF call.

I think we can all accept that referees make mistakes or don’t see things the same way as someone else, we’ve been on both sides of these over the years.

But it’s the decisions where they re-write the rule book mid game that really get up your nose.

Interesting Big League podcast with three non Raiders fans, they thought it was the biggest debacle since the Touchie flag decision and thought it ironic that it was the Raiders involved again.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote: October 14, 2019, 12:27 pm
The craziest, dumbest idea there... and I can't say I've ever seen this suggestion made by anyone else in the game... ever!
TBH I agree with it.

Rugby League should always encourage tries.

Any rule that gives you another crack after **** up is **** and shouldnt happen.

Also a 5 minute sin bin is stupid.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think if they could implement a change it would be reduce interchange to 6. Keep 4 interchange players but allow teams to have a fresh reserve to replace players lost to acts of foul play so they still have 17 fit men and not 16.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

papabear wrote: October 14, 2019, 4:14 pm
TBH I agree with it.

Any rule that gives you another crack after **** up is **** and shouldnt happen.

Rubbish. It's not encouraging tries, it's encouraging penalties. It's bad enough the number that are intentionally given away in the red zone to kill momentum of the attack. Diminish the threat of points being given away and teams will only do it more.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

You don't think they'll relax what constitutes a sin bin if they have the 5min option? Lower the threshold and there are going to be more tries scored.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I think 5 minute sin bin is a must to be brought back in. This would encourage the ref to use it more often for professional fouls. 3 penalties inside the 20 without a change of position you go to the bin for 5 minutes.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

My suggestion was to only rule a 7 tackle set if the kick is from beyond the 30m line

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Saw this on a different page, and its an NFL rule, but, scorer kicks off.
Thoughts?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matt wrote: October 15, 2019, 1:38 pm Saw this on a different page, and its an NFL rule, but, scorer kicks off.
Thoughts?
They did it in superleague and it seemed to lead to more blowouts if anything.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Interesting. Why do you think that is? Better side able to put immediate pressure on the other team in their own half?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote: October 15, 2019, 1:38 pm Saw this on a different page, and its an NFL rule, but, scorer kicks off.
Thoughts?
I hate it. I absolutely hate it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 1:58 pm
Thoughts?
I don't like it either. The NRL is dreaming up far too many completely unnecessary rule changes. They'd be better off focussing on things like... enforcing the rules they presently have effectively, lifting standards of officiating and ensuring judiciary outcomes are consistent.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: October 15, 2019, 2:40 pm
Thoughts?
I don't like it either. The NRL is dreaming up far too many completely unnecessary rule changes. They'd be better off focussing on things like... enforcing the rules they presently have effectively, lifting standards of officiating and ensuring judiciary outcomes are consistent.
It was stupid when it happened in Super League and I hated it then, and it would be stupid if it happened now, and I'd hate it too!
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

BJ wrote: October 14, 2019, 3:53 pm I think it’s the frustration of being on the wrong side of the two key referee overturns of the last decade. Sharks game Touchie flag and now the six again GF call.

I think we can all accept that referees make mistakes or don’t see things the same way as someone else, we’ve been on both sides of these over the years.

But it’s the decisions where they re-write the rule book mid game that really get up your nose.

Interesting Big League podcast with three non Raiders fans, they thought it was the biggest debacle since the Touchie flag decision and thought it ironic that it was the Raiders involved again.
My son started reffing this year. One of the first things they told him was - make a decision, even if it's wrong. If you do realise it's wrong, stick with your original decision. Do not change it under any circumstances.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Turt wrote: October 15, 2019, 3:39 pm
BJ wrote: October 14, 2019, 3:53 pm I think it’s the frustration of being on the wrong side of the two key referee overturns of the last decade. Sharks game Touchie flag and now the six again GF call.

My son started reffing this year. One of the first things they told him was - make a decision, even if it's wrong. If you do realise it's wrong, stick with your original decision. Do not change it under any circumstances.
He'll never reach the lofty heights of NRL referee with that attitude.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Turt wrote: October 14, 2019, 3:53 pm
My son started reffing this year.
I’m sorry mate. Here to talk if you need it.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 6:45 pm
TBH I agree with it.

Rubbish. It's not encouraging tries, it's encouraging penalties. It's bad enough the number that are intentionally given away in the red zone to kill momentum of the attack. Diminish the threat of points being given away and teams will only do it more.
not really, if players are binned for there third, fourth, fifth consecutive infringement they wont be wanting to play 10 on 13.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote: October 15, 2019, 2:40 pm
Thoughts?
scorer kicks off in under 6s... otherwise one team would get the ball constantly.

I agree with it too.

You would see the game be a bit fairer.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

papabear wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:00 am
Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 6:45 pm
TBH I agree with it.

not really, if players are binned for there third, fourth, fifth consecutive infringement they wont be wanting to play 10 on 13.
That's a separate issue again
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

yes, but if you are running the game, you dont make rules based on how they are incorrectly or weakly officiated.

you make them for the best game being officiated correctly.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

This place is woke.