Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

benda
Brett Mullins

Re: Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by benda »

I think it's safe to say he will stay and will achieve a top up on whatever he is on now...
Moving to Sydney or somewhere else will incur a cost as well that needs to be factored... plus he is adamant he loves Canberra.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Was always a formality - not sure why people were worried.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

People are worried as there is a salary cap. Not everyone can get an upgrade.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ok, Jack has just said clear as day in that article that he's staying and NOT seeking a substantial upgrade.

As some suspected, he simply isn't taking up the option on his old contract because his old manager would then get 6% of that and he wants his new manager to get paid instead.

He's staying.

What IS scary is that the option was for 900k :shock: :shock: :shock:

We've been paying Jack near Teddy levels of money? Or the last one he signed went something like 700 - 800- option for 900?

Lucky he played so well last year!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

in that case it sounds like his old manager kind of deserves to get paid.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote:Ok, Jack has just said clear as day in that article that he's staying and NOT seeking a substantial upgrade.

As some suspected, he simply isn't taking up the option on his old contract because his old manager would then get 6% of that and he wants his new manager to get paid instead.

He's staying.

What IS scary is that the option was for 900k :shock: :shock: :shock:

We've been paying Jack near Teddy levels of money? Or the last one he signed went something like 700 - 800- option for 900?

Lucky he played so well last year!
All the press reports say the option was $750,000. I don’t know if that’s right or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Goes without saying, but jeez having watched the highlights from some of our wins, it was really an acute reminder that Jack Wighton is an absolute weapon. For every try or assist he made, there is another instance where he made a half or clean break and just couldn't quite find the line. He could have easily had another half a dozen tries this year.

Looking forward to going into the new year with Wighton locked into a nice long term deal. Get it done.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote: October 21, 2019, 8:04 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 21, 2019, 6:33 pm
Azza wrote: October 21, 2019, 5:55 pm Wighton was quoted in the media today as saying he was keen to stay with the Raiders beyond 2020, loved Canberra, and was largely turning down the option just because he changed managers (which I don't really get, but anyway)
His old manager would get a percentage of he took up the contract extension. If he declined the extension and signs a new contract his new manager gets paid.

Either way, Jack gets paid.
Yes, sorry, you're right. Fair enough call. Although I note his new manager specifically said he'd be testing his options on the market.

Managers are a cancer on the game IMO.
His new manager has to at least look like he is doing a bit of hard work to agree to a formality.

What his new manager should be doing is focusing on trying to get his client some decent third party deals to supplement his NRL contract.

If he can't get Wighton some sort of cash return out of winning the CCM and getting a Kangaroos jersey then Jack should have ditched his manager completely, signed a deal himself and saved himself 6% of his contract value (or whatever the going rate is).

As an aside, can you imagine getting 6% of Wighton's contract value every year. That's like $50k per season...for doing what exactly???
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Nothing. I'm an actor part time and generally speaking, agents are the moles on ****.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Mickey_Raider wrote: October 22, 2019, 5:31 pm Goes without saying, but jeez having watched the highlights from some of our wins, it was really an acute reminder that Jack Wighton is an absolute weapon. For every try or assist he made, there is another instance where he made a half or clean break and just couldn't quite find the line. He could have easily had another half a dozen tries this year.

Looking forward to going into the new year with Wighton locked into a nice long term deal. Get it done.
Yeah I agree. He had the yips on just finishing the final put down this year for a couple of months (previous year it was bombs for a couple of months). But I remember being reminded so much of how Daley used to carve up- stronger than some, faster than some, better footwork than some, bolder than some- he'd just find a way to beat a guy. But Loz used to just put it down (and they didn't look too close in those days once you got over the stripe).

He'll get that sorted one year and be among the top 3 in the game.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Jack's best years are ahead of him...a long term deal is a no brainer IMO.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

It would be an almost certainty that Jack will be a better five-eighth next year than this year. Definitely smart to lock him down long term.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

JACK WIGHTON

Contracted to: Raiders Reportedly on: $750,000

His situation: The centre-turned-five-eighth’s agent Matt Rose knocked back a Canberra contract option for season 2021. But the player has revealed that was purely due to a change in management, not because he is looking to leave the nation’s capital.

Reports say that 2021 option was worth about $900,000. And that was agreed to before Wighton had been best-on-ground in a grand final. If his 2021 option was already valued at $900,000, Wighton could very well become a $1 million player when his next contract is inked.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5dac57dc70

First time I've seen it in a news report that the option was worth $900,000... if so, that was significant overs when the deal was signed, in my view.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I would think he would've got a hefty bump for Origin and Test debuts. Could easily have added 100k.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The Destroyer of clubs always knew what he had In Wighton.....The kid is finally showing what he can do.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Raiders666 wrote:The Destroyer of clubs always knew what he had In Wighton.....The kid is finally showing what he can do.
Haha the Destroyer Of clubs... haven’t heard that one in a while

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Can someone tell me again how Jack isnt going to be get much above 750k?
Haha.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

GreenMachine wrote: October 23, 2019, 12:15 pm Jack's best years are ahead of him...a long term deal is a no brainer IMO.
Campo’s best years were ahead of him also, 5 yr deals are too risky
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Kryptonite wrote: October 23, 2019, 7:34 pm
GreenMachine wrote: October 23, 2019, 12:15 pm Jack's best years are ahead of him...a long term deal is a no brainer IMO.
Campo’s best years were ahead of him also, 5 yr deals are too risky
Scared money dont make none.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: October 22, 2019, 10:45 am People are worried as there is a salary cap. Not everyone can get an upgrade.
And yet the Roosters have quality players to upgrade and can still apparently sign David Fifita after Cronk leaves. I suppose if they medically retire Mitch Aubusson they will clear the appropriate funds.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@BigSportsBrekky on Twitter

"I'm pretty content in Canberra" @RaidersCanberra five-eighth @jackie_boii4 has said he would like to make his career at the Raiders a long-term one #bigsportsbrekky

Audio: http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/GtKewe.mp3
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Jack Wighton’s new manager seems to be trying to make a name for himself with Jacks new contract.

He would make a better name for himself long term by sorting out Jacks contract with a happy client and a professionally run process.

He doesn’t seem to be looking like a professional manager based on the media reports of the last few weeks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Could Canberra Raiders half Jack Wighton be a $1 million baby?

An option knock back has Jack Wighton in the mix to create a piece of Canberra Raiders history. He could even be the next NRL player to become a million-dollar baby.

Raiders recruitment boss Peter Mulholland reckons there's only one "true" $1 million player in the NRL, though quite a number have now passed that mark - Cameron Smith. He felt Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson could be in the tier of players who could take make the jump.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Nah that is outrageous - Jack’s a bloody good player but let him walk and throw the $1m elsewhere. He’s kidding himself!
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

No way Jack is worth $1 million at present.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

He's worth what someone is willing to pay him really
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: November 10, 2019, 6:38 pm He's worth what someone is willing to pay him really
That’s true - good luck to him if he gets a million elsewhere but I’d be very disappointed if the raiders forked out that much for him.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Let Jack walk at that price. He was rocks and diamonds all year and only played a handful of good games (in the finals I admit)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Time to get over the $1m thing. It's just a number and one that must've shrunk about 50% in real terms since the first player signed a deal for that much.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I agree. No way hes a million dollar player. I reckon 750k is about what he is worth. Lets not forget, he is an international center, not an international half. 750k makes him one of the highestvpaid centers which is about right. We must take a leaf out of the sharks and roosters book and let him go for anything over 800k
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

FROG wrote: November 10, 2019, 7:44 pm I agree. No way hes a million dollar player. I reckon 750k is about what he is worth. Lets not forget, he is an international center, not an international half. 750k makes him one of the highestvpaid centers which is about right. We must take a leaf out of the sharks and roosters book and let him go for anything over 800k
Your rep jumper number means very little to your club. What matters is that you HAVE a rep jumper.

The $ value/worth is based on the position you play for your club. He is a spine player here, and therefore you weigh up spine $.

IMO, he isn't worth 1 mill, id have maxed out at 900K. I don't begrudge him if he can get it elsewhere BTW; as it's a business, and a short career. BUT, like Edwahu said, it's not that big a number these days. Every good player seems to be getting them, or linked to them.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He's way too inconsistent. At this stage anyway.

Can't blame him chasing the bucks though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: November 10, 2019, 6:38 pm He's worth what someone is willing to pay him really
Correct.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:
FROG wrote: November 10, 2019, 7:44 pm I agree. No way hes a million dollar player. I reckon 750k is about what he is worth. Lets not forget, he is an international center, not an international half. 750k makes him one of the highestvpaid centers which is about right. We must take a leaf out of the sharks and roosters book and let him go for anything over 800k
Your rep jumper number means very little to your club. What matters is that you HAVE a rep jumper.

The $ value/worth is based on the position you play for your club. He is a spine player here, and therefore you weigh up spine $.
That’s half correct and half bollocks.

His position he plays for his club is most critical in setting the expected price range.

However, the fact that he is pushed out of that spot at rep level means he is not absolutely top tier in that position. That reduces the value of the rep jumper somewhat. Though obviously it is not without value, given the rep team has found a place to play him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

He's every chance to be the NSW 5/8 next season though.

It took the rest of the NRL a year just to catch up with the fact Jack really was a good 5/8. He wasn't going to get picked for NSW in the halves after 6 weeks form there. But they wanted him in somewhere.

Now that he's had a stellar run and they've seen him a whole season, he's as likely go grab 5/8 as any other contender imo. Not a shoe in, but in with a good shout if he keeps playing well and Raiders keep winning. He'd have to beat out KEary, who would also have to be producing his best, Jack has Origin experience, trust of the coach and perhaps a better suited game on his side.

Pretty sure Jack and the club will work out the right deal. He's a stellar player. But Holmes and Latrell are about to hoover up the spare cap and latrell's big gamble hasn't been looking too clever so far. Bronco's seem the team most in need of a good half but I'm not sure Jack is the type they need. And if he wants to join a basket case he's a numpty.