Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by edwahu »

The counter argument is that he is gambling 750k guaranteed income. He could run out round 1 without a deal and do an ACL or worse.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The tax man makes half of your argument void
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I doubt we lose Jack (we get long service discount on him soon don't we? he can't get that elsewhere)... but no player is bigger than the club. Jack is also not a $1M player imo. I'd let him go at those numbers. He is not Cronk or Thurston.

We have made excellent decisions with retention and cap management recently. And we're in a great negotiating position. So if we do lose 1 or 2, you have to assume that we will get 1 or 2 in at great value. No one is going to leave for the opportunity to play rep football and finals. It will all work out ok.
BJ
Steve Walters

Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by BJ »

Why is letting the likes of Lui go, Suddenly going to free up money for players like Wighton and Bateman?

Unfortunately it’s about letting the likes of Croker, BJ or Tapine go if we need to free up enough money.

I think the Daily Telegraph had Lui earning $220k. My guess is it’s a little bit more but they seemed to have got Wighton right at $750k.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: October 13, 2019, 8:25 pm Why is letting the likes of Lui go, Suddenly going to free up money for players like Wighton and Bateman?

Unfortunately it’s about letting the likes of Croker, BJ or Tapine go if we need to free up enough money.

I think the Daily Telegraph had Lui earning $220k. My guess is it’s a little bit more but they seemed to have got Wighton right at $750k.
Tapani and Croker are two names I haven’t heard thrown up. I’d be fine with Croker going but I know that’s a minority view and it won’t happen. Tapani on the other hand is an interesting one. I’m a big fan but he’s inconsistent and we can cover him pretty well. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tarps is moved on.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

Up until this year I've torn my hair out watching Wighton play his inconsistent games and would have had no issue with him being dropped. Sure he had some cracking games, particularly in defence, but he also dropped heaps of balls, was never in the hunt of biggest meters gained and wasn't exactly a prolific try scorer. The switch to 5/8th was a great move. I was very surprised that he got selected for NSW where he was OK but was far from man of the match. The latter half of the year he has improved and the GF was a great game. In summary, he's been a mixed bag player who has had a great half season. He's got potential to improve but he's also got potential to loose his way and start dropping the ball again, literally. He's definitely not worth indulging in at the expense of cap money for other players that we will most likely loose if we do indulge him eg Horsepower, Bailey, Nick C, Emre etc.
Most players that get caught up with the dollar signs quickly fall by the wayside eg Milford, Boyd, Taylor etc. My vote is to let him go. Use the money to upgrade Bateman who does deserve more money and make sure we retain the key talent. George Williams is regarded as a 5/8th. Maybe we'd be better off with G. Williams and Sezer for 2020 and look to replace Sezer for 21. Not ideal. But neither is paying overs to keep a player that has yet to prove he is worth the big dollars.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He'll be staying. Might cost us an extra 100k a year on the cap but he'll be here.
Chief Chujo
David Grant

Post by Chief Chujo »

This is the end result of the stupid contracts after 2016. That Wighton had a 2021 option of 750k is a joke considering he re-signed in 2017. If he was re-signed on what he was worth at the time, 500k or so, we could upgrade next year and extend easily. BJ is sitting on 7-800k from reports as well, ridiculous. The club has done a lot better recently but we're still not out of the pit we dug ourselves. As shown with so many other clubs, big money deals on anyone but the elite are disastrous to long term cap management.

I think BJ and Sezer will find new homes in the off season and we will upgrade and extend Bateman and Wighton. I hope anyway.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Coming off NSW and Australia selection plus a Clive Churchill, I don't blame him. Doubt he'll be going anywhere though. Another case of fans not yet coming to terms with the big wage increases under the new salary caps - $900k to $1 million under the the current cap levels isn't that much for a player of his calibre.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: October 13, 2019, 6:44 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 6:35 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:56 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:53 pm So much love on this board for our CCM winner! :lol:

I trust it will work out. The guy is on $750k and the club was roundly bagged out for paying him that. It's not like it'd take a huge jump to compete with other offers.
I'm not sure that's what he's on - it's what the extension option was, and I think it was a raise on what he's currently on.
I'm pretty sure the club has been roundly bagged over the past few seasons for the type of money they were paying him to play fullback. Those were the numbers bandied around. Marquee dollars for ordinary performances etc etc.
Yeah, that's what the criticism was based on. Assuming the number is accurate then some of the criticism would be justified as he would have been in the top tier of fullbacks on contract value but not on performance. In contrast his work at 5/8 this year has been far superior to what he'd done previously at fullback. I think this has shown he was simply a very good player being played out of position.
This is where I probably differ from most. IMO he was one of the outstanding fullbacks in the comp in the first half of th season, before he got suspended. He was really starting to find his feet on a consistent basis.

Ultimately, Stuart always saw him as a 5/8 though. As most remember, he tried him there for half a season in 2014 before the pressure became too much and the coach pushed him out to centre and then finally fullback, to utilise his running game and develop his reading of the game.

Then we had our run in 2016, where Wighton developed his ball playing skills and was involved in a huge percentage of our try scoring movements from fullback. People forget that, because he dropped a couple of bombs.

Anyway, Stuart clearly earmarked him as a 5/8 and payed him accordingly. The only thing that surprised me about Wighton this season was his kicking game - which seemed to improve every week, until it was one of the best in the comp.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: October 13, 2019, 7:11 pm The counter argument is that he is gambling 750k guaranteed income. He could run out round 1 without a deal and do an ACL or worse.
I don’t think an ACL would dramatically decrease his value
It’s 2019, the recon surgeries are now pretty damn good and 99% of players come back and are back to themselves

The worse is exactly why he’s opting out and will have a new deal locked in before a ball is kicked in anger for 2020. He’ll risk nothing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The elephant in the room once again is players becoming free agents 12 months in advanced of their contract finishing. Only in the NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Id be very surprised, dissapointed and pissed if Jack wasn't a green man long term.

He's another who loves the club...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
thegreenmachine
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by thegreenmachine »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 5:04 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 4:15 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:We've been waiting for a rep quality half for about 20 years. We've finally got one and will have to pay accordingly.

Soliola will be off the books in 2020, hopefully we have an option in our favour for Lui so he can also be released. I think BJ will also probably need to be shifted on, and Rapana depending on form next year.

It does degrade the competition when 12 or 13 of the teams in the comp never get any continuity between seasons. A model like the NBA where teams can exceed the salary cap but pay a dollar in league tax for every dollar they go over would be such an improvement.
I think all of that is wrong.

Wighton has had one good year in the halves and will likely represent NSW and Australia for the most part not in the halves. He needs at least another year at top flight and playing rep football in the halves to be a million dollar man imo.

You can’t just shuffle off the players you listed and go “well there’s your money”. We’re already a bit light on props. Soliola needs to be replaced with a decent prop. Which is going to cost pretty much the same. Lui appears to be a good value prop. Releasing him and using his money to top up Jack likely leaves you with an absolute nuffy. Salary caps don’t work like that.

How does that work in the NBA? My understanding is that style of cap typically benefits the top tier teams. I think that would be a disaster for the Raiders.
We have Sutton on the books who is a natural replacement for Lui. We have Horsburgh to hopefully step into a starting role, you then use youngsters to fill in the bench spots.
So let me get this straight. You want to upgrade a guy to play the same role as this year, by elevating other guys and giving them no increase.

I’ll give you a tip on how that story ends.
I thought it was obvious they'd need to be upgraded. From all reports we need a 200 - 250k to boost Wighton up, so you attempt to make up that shortfall between letting some players go and boosting their replacements.

This isn't like Bateman where we need to find 4-500k.

What is the plan if you let Wighton walk though? I'm happy to be swayed.
George Williams 5/8 and Sezer in at 7?

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

thegreenmachine wrote: October 14, 2019, 6:41 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 5:04 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 13, 2019, 4:15 pm

I think all of that is wrong.

Wighton has had one good year in the halves and will likely represent NSW and Australia for the most part not in the halves. He needs at least another year at top flight and playing rep football in the halves to be a million dollar man imo.

You can’t just shuffle off the players you listed and go “well there’s your money”. We’re already a bit light on props. Soliola needs to be replaced with a decent prop. Which is going to cost pretty much the same. Lui appears to be a good value prop. Releasing him and using his money to top up Jack likely leaves you with an absolute nuffy. Salary caps don’t work like that.

How does that work in the NBA? My understanding is that style of cap typically benefits the top tier teams. I think that would be a disaster for the Raiders.
We have Sutton on the books who is a natural replacement for Lui. We have Horsburgh to hopefully step into a starting role, you then use youngsters to fill in the bench spots.
So let me get this straight. You want to upgrade a guy to play the same role as this year, by elevating other guys and giving them no increase.

I’ll give you a tip on how that story ends.
I thought it was obvious they'd need to be upgraded. From all reports we need a 200 - 250k to boost Wighton up, so you attempt to make up that shortfall between letting some players go and boosting their replacements.

This isn't like Bateman where we need to find 4-500k.

What is the plan if you let Wighton walk though? I'm happy to be swayed.
George Williams 5/8 and Sezer in at 7?

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
**** that
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I've always been a big fan of Wighton but I can't see any club paying him $1mil/year tbh... it would only be plausible for a club breaking the salary cap to do so. The only club stupid enough to fork out anything close to that mark is the Titans imo.

If the $750k figure for his option which he turned down is accurate, I would be offering him something like 3 years increasing, starting at $800k in 2021 and ending at $900k in 2023.
Robinson Crusoe
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Robinson Crusoe »

This is the gamble you take when you pay overs for young players because of their potential. Why would he want what’s offered if it’s not much different to what he has?
Maybe that “Jack gets paid” Tweet spoke more about his character than any talk of repaying the club for last year
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 11:02 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:56 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 12:53 pm So much love on this board for our CCM winner! :lol:

I trust it will work out. The guy is on $750k and the club was roundly bagged out for paying him that. It's not like it'd take a huge jump to compete with other offers.
I'm not sure that's what he's on - it's what the extension option was, and I think it was a raise on what he's currently on.
I'm pretty sure the club has been roundly bagged over the past few seasons for the type of money they were paying him to play fullback. Those were the numbers bandied around. Marquee dollars for ordinary performances etc etc.
Yeah, that's what the criticism was based on. Assuming the number is accurate then some of the criticism would be justified as he would have been in the top tier of fullbacks on contract value but not on performance. In contrast his work at 5/8 this year has been far superior to what he'd done previously at fullback. I think this has shown he was simply a very good player being played out of position.
This is where I probably differ from most. IMO he was one of the outstanding fullbacks in the comp in the first half of th season, before he got suspended. He was really starting to find his feet on a consistent basis.

Ultimately, Stuart always saw him as a 5/8 though. As most remember, he tried him there for half a season in 2014 before the pressure became too much and the coach pushed him out to centre and then finally fullback, to utilise his running game and develop his reading of the game.

Then we had our run in 2016, where Wighton developed his ball playing skills and was involved in a huge percentage of our try scoring movements from fullback. People forget that, because he dropped a couple of bombs.

Anyway, Stuart clearly earmarked him as a 5/8 and payed him accordingly. The only thing that surprised me about Wighton this season was his kicking game - which seemed to improve every week, until it was one of the best in the comp.
Wighton was an awful fullback. Granted he is dangerous with the ball in hand and an excellent defender but his positioning at the back was not first grade standard imo. He rarely caught the ball on the full which is massive for momentum. Its an area that CNK excels at and is one of the major reasons we had the year that we did. Wighton has potential to be an awesome 6 but needs to be more consistent to be spoken about as a 1m player
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Robinson Crusoe wrote: October 14, 2019, 6:55 am This is the gamble you take when you pay overs for young players because of their potential. Why would he want what’s offered if it’s not much different to what he has?
Maybe that “Jack gets paid” Tweet spoke more about his character than any talk of repaying the club for last year
I agree RC. He has had a good year but isnt the sole reason we made the gf. If we played sezer and g williams as our halves next year and it meant we kept bj and jb etc then im not sure if we go backwards that much. Id prefer to keep bj on 650k a year which i understand is all that he is after than pay wighton close to 1m.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

FROG wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: October 13, 2019, 11:02 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: October 13, 2019, 1:56 pm I'm not sure that's what he's on - it's what the extension option was, and I think it was a raise on what he's currently on.

Wighton was an awful fullback. Granted he is dangerous with the ball in hand and an excellent defender but his positioning at the back was not first grade standard imo. He rarely caught the ball on the full which is massive for momentum. Its an area that CNK excels at and is one of the major reasons we had the year that we did. Wighton has potential to be an awesome 6 but needs to be more consistent to be spoken about as a 1m player
Agree, he was 50/50 under the high ball
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

FROG wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:01 am
Robinson Crusoe wrote: October 14, 2019, 6:55 am This is the gamble you take when you pay overs for young players because of their potential. Why would he want what’s offered if it’s not much different to what he has?
I agree RC. He has had a good year but isnt the sole reason we made the gf. If we played sezer and g williams as our halves next year and it meant we kept bj and jb etc then im not sure if we go backwards that much. Id prefer to keep bj on 650k a year which i understand is all that he is after than pay wighton close to 1m.
The thing is I don't think us nor any other club will need to pay him $1mil... I'd be gobsmacked if any club offered him close to that for 2021 (unless of course it was the Titans, they're known for paying ridiculous overs)
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I would class Cameron Munster as a far better 5/8 and he resigned for $800k a season
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

LastRaider wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:10 am I would class Cameron Munster as a far better 5/8 and he resigned for $800k a season
Munster is a rep quality 5/8 and Wighton is a rep quality centre - I think our club and other clubs will be bringing this point up in negotiations and I don't think Wighton will get all that much more than his current $750k if I were to speculate on how this is gonna pan out. I'd say he's in for a small upgrade.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sports negotiations are never about what is fair and deserved. Negotiations are about what each side has the leverage to negotiate.

To an extent it doesnt matter what Munster is on, or anyone else... they can help provide a rough market, but how does Jack and his team see themselves? And how willing are the Raiders to let him walk?
Coming off a CCM and given the importance he has to this club against the importance Munster has in a storm system that has proven it can just plug and play anyone and keep it rolling...

Well id argue pretty strongly if im Jack's representation, that the Munster deal is the STARTING point of my negotiations.
Jack has all the leverage here, and he'll get a deal he's happy with because i dont think the club has the stones to let him walk
The only leverage the Raiders have here is a contract year, and we know what contract years are worth in today's player empowerment era, and whatever emotional leverage they hold given the off the field issues... which i honestly cant see impacting things as much as we all probably think it should
Last edited by Botman on October 14, 2019, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LastRaider wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:10 am I would class Cameron Munster as a far better 5/8 and he resigned for $800k a season
Keary is still on 700k and is the best half in the game.

Also Cody Walker is off contract and could be a better and cheaper option for some clubs if Jack asks for 1m.

Really I'd say this is more about locking in a long term deal with a slight upgrade than hitting 1m.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

edwahu wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:23 am

Also Cody Walker is off contract and could be a better and cheaper option for some clubs if Jack asks for 1m.

Really I'd say this is more about locking in a long term deal with a slight upgrade than hitting 1m.
I'm with you there 100%, people are tripping if they think Wighton will be forking a $1mil deal out of a club...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:23 am Well id argue pretty strongly if im Jack's representation, that the Munster deal is the STARTING point of my negotiations.
Jack has all the leverage here, and he'll get a deal he's happy with because i dont think the club has the stones to let him walk
The only leverage the Raiders have here is a contract year, and we know what contract years are worth in today's player empowerment era, and whatever emotional leverage they hold given the off the field issues... which i honestly cant see impacting things as much as we all probably think it should
The club has the market to base their negotiations on and it's wild to think that the going rate for other players in his calibre or above will have minimal effect on his negotiations. His management can argue whatever they like but the reality is that Wighton is not a million dollar man.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:51 am
PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:23 am Well id argue pretty strongly if im Jack's representation, that the Munster deal is the STARTING point of my negotiations.
The club has the market to base their negotiations on and it's wild to think that the going rate for other players in his calibre or above will have minimal effect on his negotiations. His management can argue whatever they like but the reality is that Wighton is not a million dollar man.
The club will certainly argue that's the market, and Jack should fit in there, but Wighton's representation will argue Jack is an elite player, he's a NSW and Australian rep, CCM and incredibly important to the Raiders, and not a lot of options to replace him. It's about leverage.
And again, do you really think the Raiders have the stones to say "Sorry Jack, you're not getting more the Munster. Take it or leave it"?

Because i don't. It would be fascinating to see them do it, and it would certainly be a step forward for the club wrestling back some control, but i just dont see Stuart or DFJ putting a foot down about Wighton at this point.

I dont think he'll quite get to 1mil per year. But i think he'll go over Keary and Munster for now (no idea when those guys are due for new deals, but Keary in particular is going to get 7 figures + a year i would think)

I'd probably predict something around 900k a year as an average per year figure.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that there is a risk other clubs will throw around silly figures to drive up his value knowing that the raiders will likely match. More about buggering up our cap than actually wanting him. Surely we would only be matching genuine contract papers signed by an opposition club and not flippant comments from other clubs about what they think he’s worth? Does anyone know how the process works
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:02 am
The club will certainly argue that's the market, and Jack should fit in there, but Wighton's representation will argue Jack is an elite player, he's a NSW and Australian rep, CCM and incredibly important to the Raiders, and not a lot of options to replace him. It's about leverage.
And again, do you really think the Raiders have the stones to say "Sorry Jack, you're not getting more the Munster. Take it or leave it"?

Because i don't. It would be fascinating to see them do it, and it would certainly be a step forward for the club wrestling back some control, but i just dont see Stuart or DFJ putting a foot down about Wighton at this point.

I dont think he'll quite get to 1mil per year. But i think he'll go over Keary and Munster for now (no idea when those guys are due for new deals, but Keary in particular is going to get 7 figures + a year i would think)

I'd probably predict something around 900k a year as an average per year figure.
Your logic is based on specific values being applied to players but Pat is right that the market dictates what a player earns. Wighton's manager can make whatever representation he likes about his client's value but unless another club is willing to offer that kind of contract then it doesn't hold much weight.

Bottom line is what other club is going to offer Jack $900k+?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:02 am

His management would be absolutely right. I mean really, are you going to gamble on an unproven English recruit to replace an Aus/NSW/CC medal winning 5/8 all with a view to saving $300k under a $10m salary cap?
Robinson Crusoe
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Robinson Crusoe »

edwahu wrote:

Keary is also playing in one of the glamour clubs, and probably knows he can leave for more coin, at the expense of premierships and success.
I would say he’s a $1m player, cashing in $300k to be in a successful side
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:19 am Your logic is based on specific values being applied to players but Pat is right that the market dictates what a player earns. Wighton's manager can make whatever representation he likes about his client's value but unless another club is willing to offer that kind of contract then it doesn't hold much weight.

Bottom line is what other club is going to offer Jack $900k+?
Yeah, i am assuming those figures are roughly accurate, or at leas the publicly known figure... either way the extent to which they will impact this will be that the Raiders will argue that Jack should come in, at best, at the top of that market.
Jack's representation will argue, those deals were done over 12 months ago, and neither of those players had the leverage Jack does

We'll see who wins out that, and who's got more leverage. And i know who i think has considerably more leverage...

As for what other club is going to offer Jack 900k. This is the NRL, where contracts are worthless, i think there is probably half a dozen teams who would be willing to move things around to free up space for an elite half, given the dearth at that position. And ultimately i dont think it even gets to that, because again, as Rog said above... and as i keep saying, the Raiders dont have the leverage, they dont have the appetite, nor the stones to call this bluff

Before a ball is kicked next year, both JB and Wighton will have new deals with a decent pay increase, and we'll see what the club has to do, and who it has to lose in order to achieve that.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

It reeks of selfishness.

The guy has been paid overs for years and under performed.
CNK is already a better fullback than Jack ever was, and the club stood by him for all his troubles and errors.

His current salary has been paid on 'potential' - because he now lives up to that potential, he shouldn't fleece the club for more.

And the fans should hold him accountable should we lose stars and break this team up.
Hate to say it - but it doesn't happen at the Roosters....
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Robinson Crusoe wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:26 am Keary is also playing in one of the glamour clubs, and probably knows he can leave for more coin, at the expense of premierships and success.
I would say he’s a $1m player, cashing in $300k to be in a successful side
He signed that deal a few years ago, no?
Before he took a leap into being one of the games best, if not THE best play maker?

He's going to be getting a new deal soon too. And id bet he and his team arent too displeased about this Jack Wighton situation either. Because when Jack gets his new deal, that'll be the starting point of their negotiations.