Jack Wighton signs four-year extension with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Jack Wighton turns down Raiders option to go on open market for 2021

Post by julian87 »

You really can’t use Munster and Keary as measuring sticks here. They’d both command a hell of a lot more than what they’re on at over half the clubs in the competition. They’ve stayed at the 2 powerhouse clubs to try and win competitions. Keary will probably be upgraded with Cronk retiring as well.

There is currently the biggest dearth of NRL quality halves there has been in the NRL era. Wighton has just won the CC Medal, I’d be very surpised if some club doesn’t offer him more than 750k.

From what’s been reported though I reckon he’s just unhappy with the managers ins and outs of the current deal.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Surely if you don't use Keary and Munster as measuring sticks it's inevitable that you will always trail behind those clubs.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

edwahu wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:55 am Surely if you don't use Keary and Munster as measuring sticks it's inevitable that you will always trail behind those clubs.
Did ether or those clubs make a gf on the back of recruiting 4 poms and a reserve grade fullback on minimum wage?

I don’t think we can compare wages players are willing to play on to a club that signed Cronk, Tedesco and Crichton the last 2 seasons. Edit; and Brett Morris.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:23 am Well id argue pretty strongly if im Jack's representation, that the Munster deal is the STARTING point of my negotiations.
Jack has all the leverage here, and he'll get a deal he's happy with because i dont think the club has the stones to let him walk
The only leverage the Raiders have here is a contract year, and we know what contract years are worth in today's player empowerment era, and whatever emotional leverage they hold given the off the field issues... which i honestly cant see impacting things as much as we all probably think it should
The club has the market to base their negotiations on and it's wild to think that the going rate for other players in his calibre or above will have minimal effect on his negotiations. His management can argue whatever they like but the reality is that Wighton is not a million dollar man.
I disagree here in regards to leverage. Raiders are a team verging on a premiership. We are on the up and I think we are in our best position ever to draw talent. It’s even I think
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think the following players would be potential to walk out on there current deal to come to Canberra to win a premiership

Shaun Johnson
Adam Reynolds
Anthony Milford
Mitchell Pearce
Cody Walker

Almost all good halves who crave a premiership would become available if Jack left IMO
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Do people realise Corey Norman was due to earn 900k last year at the Eels? I don't doubt Jack would be in the 850 - 1mil range on the free market.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:30 am
Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:19 am Your logic is based on specific values being applied to players but Pat is right that the market dictates what a player earns. Wighton's manager can make whatever representation he likes about his client's value but unless another club is willing to offer that kind of contract then it doesn't hold much weight.

Bottom line is what other club is going to offer Jack $900k+?
Yeah, i am assuming those figures are roughly accurate, or at leas the publicly known figure... either way the extent to which they will impact this will be that the Raiders will argue that Jack should come in, at best, at the top of that market.
Jack's representation will argue, those deals were done over 12 months ago, and neither of those players had the leverage Jack does

We'll see who wins out that, and who's got more leverage. And i know who i think has considerably more leverage...

As for what other club is going to offer Jack 900k. This is the NRL, where contracts are worthless, i think there is probably half a dozen teams who would be willing to move things around to free up space for an elite half, given the dearth at that position. And ultimately i dont think it even gets to that, because again, as Rog said above... and as i keep saying, the Raiders dont have the leverage, they dont have the appetite, nor the stones to call this bluff

Before a ball is kicked next year, both JB and Wighton will have new deals with a decent pay increase, and we'll see what the club has to do, and who it has to lose in order to achieve that.
It is still a case of another team needing to be offering that kind of money for Jack to get the desired leverage. My question was only partially rhetorical. Many clubs are already heavily invested in halves and may not be able to cover this kind of asking price.

Warriors could probably fit him in as a replacement for Johnson. RTS is their only spine player on big coin.

Manly a potential landing point with Dylan Walker off contract plus Elgey and Hodgkinson gone.

Cowboys would be a good fit and I'd think they had cap room with some big names moving on in recent times and no signings.

Titans, Broncos and Dogs have the need but are still carrying $1m duds in their spine.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

This might have nothing to do with money but rather a way to escape his self imposed Civic night club ban!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think Jack needs an offer from another club to get something near enough 900k from the Raiders, not a firm one either, and drumming up a rumour or two about that is as easy as saying Daniel Mortimer.

Wighton will ask for 1mil per year, the Raiders will say 800k is what the market says... they'll settle near the middle, at least thats my prediction

If the Raiders get him under that, i'll consider it a good win for Stick and DFJ.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

When you look at the other names thrown around of players on $1m, the majority bring a lot of leadership to the table. Cronk, Thurston, DCE carry the on field leadership, organiser, captaincy role - they own and run the team. Jack is a massive talent and leads by example but I don’t think he’s organising attack or defence. In fact 9 times out of 10 that Croker lets in a try someone tells me it was due to a mistake Jack made on his inside. He’s a great player but he isn’t top shelf elite.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 10:32 am I dont think Jack needs an offer from another club to get something near enough 900k from the Raiders, not a firm one either, and drumming up a rumour or two about that is as easy as saying Daniel Mortimer.

Wighton will ask for 1mil per year, the Raiders will say 800k is what the market says... they'll settle near the middle, at least thats my prediction

If the Raiders get him under that, i'll consider it a good win for Stick and DFJ.
I think it takes more than social media speculation to drive a player's value up. Club officials have a pretty good idea whether other offers are genuine or not. By testing free agency everybody will get a decent idea of what his market value is.

I'm confident the Raiders will make every effort to keep him in green but won't over pay to do so. I think Jack is looking at an incremental upgrade on his next contract. Maybe around $100k more than his current deal (that's a guesstimate). He'll be 28 at the start of the 2021 season to theorectically should be hitting his prime. If he maintains his current trajectory then that should be a good deal for both sides.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

julian87 wrote:You really can’t use Munster and Keary as measuring sticks here. They’d both command a hell of a lot more than what they’re on at over half the clubs in the competition. They’ve stayed at the 2 powerhouse clubs to try and win competitions. Keary will probably be upgraded with Cronk retiring as well.
Well you’re going to have to have a chat with pigman then. Because it never happens and it’s ludicrous to even table a suggestion a player might do that.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

A tough one. A big part of this is the availability of said player - by that I mean, if we are comparing to (say) Keary, how likely would it be that Keary would actually go the club in question? In our case, slim to none. You have to bring in the chance of landing the player into the equiation. Wighton is a rep level player available to us, who just deservedly won the CCM, outplaying Cronk and Keary on the biggest stage possible. I don't think it is unreasonable to want an upgrade on the 750K he was going to earn in 2021, but as others have mentioned, I think 850-900K is about right for 2021, with a raise in 2022/2023. You can't pay huge overs for players, but if we were going to pay slight overs, a NSW/Aus rep who is a Raiders junior isn't the worst place to pay slight overs.

I am more concerned about his football going forward - I really hope he keeps doing the extras and adding more strings to his bow, his mid/short kicking game needs work (though it was strong in the GF). As time goes on, his style of play will wear on his body and he needs to bring more finesse/footy smarts to the table.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 14, 2019, 11:28 am Well you’re going to have to have a chat with pigman then. Because it never happens and it’s ludicrous to even table a suggestion a player might do that.
Firstly, the Keary deal was signed in 2017, since then he's won a CCM and won back to back titles. He'll be getting a HELL of a lot more than he's on right now when his deal gets re done, which might even happen this off season. He didnt take unders to stay at the roosters, he got paid 700k on potential at the time, not dissimilar to Wighton's deal, save for the fact the Roosters didn't give him a player option.

Munster probably could have got more elsewhere, but also got a sizable increase in salary after some very highly paid players left the club, it's not like he just sat around on his deal and ate **** on it, he got a new deal this time last year with more money than he was presently on, which is what Wighton is attempting to do now.
Also again, the storm have a proven track record of being able to plug and play guys in around Smith and Bellemy and it works, we have no such proven track record. Bellemy and the Storm can sit across the table and say hand on heart, they dont need Munster... We cant say that about Jack Wighton. Leverage.

Also a small note, that you might consider... Asking a player to take less to maintain a premiership winning team is a little easier to do and accomplish when you've had the sustained success over the last 10 years the way the Roosters and Storm have. You're asking players to take less for a team and nucleolus that has proven itself to be able to have success and sustain it... that's a little different conversation when you're a club that made it's first GF in 25 years this year and have not been able to sustain any success since the early 90's.

And FWIW, i never said it was ludicrous to ask a player to take less. Nor did i say it never happens. I said it happens rarely and not usually in cases like Wighton's
All ive really said is i dont believe there is some golden cash cow waiting for Jack Wighton after he retires even if he did help deliver us a premiership... which has laughably caused you lash out like an absolute child :lol:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Theres no way we offer jack over 800k a season! Thatd mean we wouldnt have the 300-350k to re sign sam williams to play reggies. Glad none of you are making recruitment decisions
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

simo wrote: October 14, 2019, 12:04 pm Theres no way we offer jack over 800k a season! Thatd mean we wouldnt have the 300-350k to re sign sam williams to play reggies. Glad none of you are making recruitment decisions
100%.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: October 14, 2019, 11:41 am

I am more concerned about his football going forward - I really hope he keeps doing the extras and adding more strings to his bow, his mid/short kicking game needs work (though it was strong in the GF). As time goes on, his style of play will wear on his body and he needs to bring more finesse/footy smarts to the table.
I think his footy is still trending up.

He's become a kicking mainstay in one season. I no longer cringe every time he kicks, in fact, he's begun to kick well. He's already clearly our best long range kicker, drop-inducing-bomb-kicker (as opposed to a pinpoint chip one and begin to weight his short game.

He's added ball playing in his last year as FB, there's every reason to expect it can catch up/improve again at half now.

He's still learning to defend in the line (defend as opposed to tackle) but again, this was good in big games.

Origin and Oz rep this year. Generally, that improves a player. Especially one whose nerves used to be his own worst enemy like Jack.

I think a contract of a mill a year over the last year or two, starting lower is a good bet to make.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The kicking game of both Wighton and Sezer was a big factor in us nearly causing a massive upset in the GF. We nullified a lot of their attack simply because of the amount of times they had to work the ball out from their own corners. It wasn't a sexy strategy but it was effective and our halves executed it well. What was once a big weakness in Jack's game as a half has been turned around. Credit to him for the work he's done to achieve this.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I agree that Jack has all the leverage here, the club doesn't have a good history of attracting top NRL talent and he's really turned into a major piece of our puzzle this season and he has the chance to go after the big bucks. The timing is perfect for him.

The club won't be losing Jack or Bateman, no chance. That is just not happening from what I can see. As Pigman said, everything else will be determined around these 2 contract upgrades and it is simply the club prioritising the most important players to the team as they should be.

There has been a lot of commentary, mainly elsewhere, that Jack is disrespecting the club after they stood by him last season. I don't think those emotional arguments will get too much respect when the Manager is talking to Don. Ricky could try pull that one with Jack but I honestly doubt he will. Ricky hasn't ever been secretive that this is his boy so I have a feeling he'll stay out of it for the sake of the player-coach relationship.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We already have 2 players on close to a million locked in until 2023, now 2 who are looking for that amount. Jack may have leverage but you can't squeeze blood from a stone. Unless it's a magic bit of Greek marble.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Actually good point about improved kicking. Sezer over the second half of the season became very good at bombs landing in the oppositions left side corner.

Didn’t necessarily result in tries for us, but it consistently pinned them down for three tackles a set.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Jack is a great player but he isn’t the most important cog in the green machine. I’d have Papa, Hodgo, and Bateman ahead of him in terms of priority signing/key players.

The $1m players are the most important number 1 players at a club - Taumololo, Cronk, DCE.

In terms of value for another club Jack brings his on field performance (which can be variable) and that’s it. He isn’t a leader, he’s not setting culture or bringing premiership experience. He’s unlikely to develop players or bring a game plan you can build around. He will fill whatever backline position you place him in very very well but there are no steak knives or extras.

You’d want a lot of folding change from $1m I’d say!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

If Cody Walker is reported to be offered $900K + then Jack should be on a Million

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Brew wrote: October 14, 2019, 3:46 pm If Cody Walker is reported to be offered $900K + then Jack should be on a Million

If true, does an example of Souths paying huge overs for a player justify us doing the same?

Another way - do I think Jack is better than Cody = Yes!
Should either be getting $900k/season = no!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Brew wrote: October 14, 2019, 3:46 pm If Cody Walker is reported to be offered $900K + then Jack should be on a Million

Sounds like he has been offered 750k. It's behind a paywall but google suggests 3 years at 2.25m.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 05ab58c9fb
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:Jack is a great player but he isn’t the most important cog in the green machine. I’d have Papa, Hodgo, and Bateman ahead of him in terms of priority signing/key players.

The $1m players are the most important number 1 players at a club - Taumololo, Cronk, DCE.

In terms of value for another club Jack brings his on field performance (which can be variable) and that’s it. He isn’t a leader, he’s not setting culture or bringing premiership experience. He’s unlikely to develop players or bring a game plan you can build around. He will fill whatever backline position you place him in very very well but there are no steak knives or extras.

You’d want a lot of folding change from $1m I’d say!
I’d agree. I would also put CNK up there now as from the back he played a huge roll in our defensive improvement as well by telling players where to go and stand
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Brew wrote:If Cody Walker is reported to be offered $900K + then Jack should be on a Million

If Shannon Boyd is being paid 600k then Papalii is worth 2 Million...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how this develops. I don't think he will get much more than the figures I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread. I'd estimate maybe $50k a year more than the figures I quoted as a maximum, making it $850k in his first year in 2021, $900k in his second year and $950k in the final year, if we're going by a three year deal. I'd be fine with something like that if we stick firm and say he won't be receiving a pay rise on his current contract for next year. Otherwise, I'd go with $50k a year under that with a small increase on next year's salary. Anything above those figures would be overs imo.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Hypothetical. Would you pay jack 900k if it meant we lost bateman and bj? I would personally prefer that we let wighton walk, if that is what hes after, keep sezer and williams as our halves and use the residual to sign bateman and bj long term
Last edited by FROG on October 14, 2019, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

Billy Walker wrote: October 14, 2019, 10:59 am When you look at the other names thrown around of players on $1m, the majority bring a lot of leadership to the table. Cronk, Thurston, DCE carry the on field leadership, organiser, captaincy role - they own and run the team. Jack is a massive talent and leads by example but I don’t think he’s organising attack or defence. In fact 9 times out of 10 that Croker lets in a try someone tells me it was due to a mistake Jack made on his inside. He’s a great player but he isn’t top shelf elite.
Agree 100%. He’s got potential but is nowhere near as proven or capable as these guys. What has to be balanced against a pay increase is who do the Raiders miss out on as a consequence. Is he so good that the Raiders should be prepared to let someone like Cotric, Guler, Horsborough etc go just to keep him?
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

FROG wrote: October 14, 2019, 5:58 pm Hypothetical. Would you pay jack 900k if it meant we lost bateman and bj? I would personally prefer that we let wighton walk, if that is what hes after, keep sezer and williams as our halves and use the residual to sign bateman and bj long term
Spot on.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

FROG wrote: October 14, 2019, 5:58 pm Hypothetical. Would you pay jack 900k if it meant we lost bateman and bj? I would personally prefer that we let wighton walk, if that is what hes after, keep sezer and williams as our halves and use the residual to sign bateman and bj long term
I can't play that hypothetical as I don't see how upgrading Jack by $150k would see you lose both BJ and Bateman. That kind of upgrade equates to replacing a guy on less than $300k with one on minimum.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I wouldn't if it came down to losing those two as a consequence, but I don't think we would be risking losing them both with a salary cap just short of $10mil in 2021. Whatever the case, I stated earlier in the season that we may go all the way to the GF but wouldn't win a premiership with Sezer at halfback, which turned out to be true... and I still maintain that position. I think we need to move on from Sezer and it looks like the club agrees with that position.

I think Wighton's value in 2022 (which we need to remember is three seasons away from now) is at around the $850k mark and paying him $900k in that year would only be slight overs. This is of course all based on reports of other players' salaries quoted in the media, with no true idea of what players are getting paid in reality and how much room we actually have to work with under the cap.

Our club knew that players would be in for upgrades if we were successful this year and I'm sure they've accounted for this somewhat... I'd be surprised if there was no planning done around this scenario. The best outcome for us is if Sezer and Rapana manage to find good enough offers elsewhere... if we're stuck with them on their current salaries it's going to make things near impossible for us to hold on to the guys mentioned.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 6:16 pm
I can't play that hypothetical as I don't see how upgrading Jack by $150k would see you lose both BJ and Bateman. That kind of upgrade equates to replacing a guy on less than $300k with one on minimum.
You beat me to the punch haha
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Raiders_Pat wrote:I've always been a big fan of Wighton but I can't see any club paying him $1mil/year tbh... it would only be plausible for a club breaking the salary cap to do so. The only club stupid enough to fork out anything close to that mark is the Titans imo.

If the $750k figure for his option which he turned down is accurate, I would be offering him something like 3 years increasing, starting at $800k in 2021 and ending at $900k in 2023.
Yes. Plus rep bonuses. Then it's on Jack to make sure he gets paid as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk