I could see The Don knocking down a mighty mcmuffin meal

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders move to lock in Jack Wighton

Post by Botman »

Don is a tall lanky sort, and probably... to be perfectly honest... not very active. Also though a QBN lad, a bit of a blood blood type. I reckon he just gets the smashed avo and a coffee.... stick is a... portly gentleman like myself, a little more blue collar... he's getting something that includes bacon

or yeah, they're just hitting up QBN maccas and hitting up a McMuffin meal and calling it a day...
Yeah probably just that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I ran into Don in Melbourne one morning prior to a Raiders game and he’d been on a huge walk. He’s pretty fit, I think he’ll avoid the big brekkie!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Did you apologize, ge?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

And what he means by “ran into”, Don caught him lurking around in the grounds of the team hotel and moved him on
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

BJ wrote:
dubby wrote:Matt Rose?

Fair dinkum

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
In trying to make his name for himself as a player manager, he has hurt some of his players reputation amongst teammates. (Not Jack BTW).

He should be building a reputation as a manager of repute, instead of trying to squeeze out the last buck.
Matt Rose is only worried about one thing.....Matt Rose.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Cody Walker is managed by Rose and also just accepted 650k a year, which suggests the money Jack was on is still right. If we come back with the same deal he was on and Rose is being honest then I would expect the deal to get done.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

edwahu wrote: December 18, 2019, 9:23 am Cody Walker is managed by Rose and also just accepted 650k a year, which suggests the money Jack was on is still right. If we come back with the same deal he was on and Rose is being honest then I would expect the deal to get done.
Might have been hard to get jack and walker more money while they were both on the market.
Dont delete this GE
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Daily Telegraph reporting deal worth $2.7 mil over 3 years close to being signed. Should be done early next year.

Canberra poised to offer Jack Wighton new contract worth close to $3 million

Jack Wighton will likely have a new contract offer worth $2.7m with the Raiders – and a capacity to earn $3m. Wighton will be offered around $900,000 a season by Canberra, compared to a $750,000 offer. With $30,000 in match payments for Origin and $20,000 for Test matches, Wighton could earn more than $1m a season with rep honours.

Wighton would be offered a three-year term, starting after next season when his current deal expires.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... -3-million
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Keeps him to end 2023 when he’s 30 years old and Raiders will likely refuse to go beyond $900k.
edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders offering Jack Wighton close to $3 million

Post by edwahu »

Seems like a fair enough deal to me. Maybe slight overs but nothing ridiculous.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Jack definately gets paid..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

In 2019 he earnt the right to demand that kind of coin. Rep jumpers a GF appearance where he got the CCM.

900k was IMO the highest I'd go. Good yr Jacko
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

No argument from me..

Jack is on fire and I reckon his next 2-3 years will be even better.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: December 20, 2019, 6:21 am In 2019 he earnt the right to demand that kind of coin. Rep jumpers a GF appearance where he got the CCM.

900k was IMO the highest I'd go. Good yr Jacko
It’s the highest the Raiders will go too, according to the report.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

900k eh?
Who could have seen that sort of number coming?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 20, 2019, 7:47 am 900k eh?
Who could have seen that sort of number coming?
:roflmao
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Jack had better be very careful with both his onfield form and off field behaviour. Clubs get very incentivised to not be very patient when there's that kind of money locked up in a player.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: December 20, 2019, 9:48 am Jack had better be very careful with both his onfield form and off field behaviour. Clubs get very incentivised to not be very patient when there's that kind of money locked up in a player.
Yep, that's gonna come with the territory of a big contract.
He'd better make sure he's living up to that contract before he goes throwing handbags around Civic because if he's not, he does not want to be giving the club a free out on that deal.

I've actually been impressed with Jack off the field this year post that incident. He really seemed to be focused on his footy, he looked as fit as he's ever been and i didnt hear even a whisper this season about him acting like an idiot in town, which was at least a 2-3 times per season deal prior to this. (which may just mean that friends of mine who are younger and enjoying their saturday's around town arent as with "it" as they used to be, they've probably changed what "it" is and now "it" probably seems weird and scary to them)

That incident and how close he did come from being sacked and now when he kept himself fit and clean off the paddock... he's had his best year of footy ever. So you hope he's putting 1 and 1 together and getting 2 here and that 2019 really showed him that with some maturity and dedication to his footy, big things are possible for him.

Im a natural cynic when it comes to footballers and their ability to behave, so im not holding my breath, but Jack Wighton just followed the road map to success. He just needs to stay the course.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Well he gave the club a free out with that civic contract he had, which he mentioned about extending

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: December 20, 2019, 10:21 am
T_R wrote: December 20, 2019, 9:48 am Jack had better be very careful with both his onfield form and off field behaviour. Clubs get very incentivised to not be very patient when there's that kind of money locked up in a player.
Yep, that's gonna come with the territory of a big contract.
He'd better make sure he's living up to that contract before he goes throwing handbags around Civic because if he's not, he does not want to be giving the club a free out on that deal.

I've actually been impressed with Jack off the field this year post that incident. He really seemed to be focused on his footy, he looked as fit as he's ever been and i didnt hear even a whisper this season about him acting like an idiot in town, which was at least a 2-3 times per season deal prior to this. (which may just mean that friends of mine who are younger and enjoying their saturday's around town arent as with "it" as they used to be, they've probably changed what "it" is and now "it" probably seems weird and scary to them)

That incident and how close he did come from being sacked and now when he kept himself fit and clean off the paddock... he's had his best year of footy ever. So you hope he's putting 1 and 1 together and getting 2 here and that 2019 really showed him that with some maturity and dedication to his footy, big things are possible for him.

Im a natural cynic when it comes to footballers and their ability to behave, so im not holding my breath, but Jack Wighton just followed the road map to success. He just needs to stay the course.
Yep, this is my thinking also. That incident in Civic seems to have been a wake up call. It could have gone either way, and he appears to have decided to roll down the 3/4 pants, roll up the sleeves and get stuck in.

Based on his performance this year, happy with the contract being offered. Its one based on performance, not potential
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Good. Hope he accepts and we all move on.

Sounds like a fair deal to both sides. If reports are to be believed the only clubs right now with that sort of money spare are Titans and Tigers. If he wants to go there for an extra 100k a year then he's pretty silly.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think its overs. I think 750k is spot on. A 900k player has to be in your top 2. Jack isnt. I have him at 5 behind Papa, hodgo, CNK and bateman.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's the market rate for a primary half.
And i love CNK, but whilst one was playing his way to the CCM, the other was going off the park with cramps in the dying stages... no disrepect but that's just fact.

CNK will need to develop some ball playing before he's put above Wighton in importance.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hmmm, can we get a better half with a good long kicking game, who defends like a backrower, runs for 100m a game and can bust a line with footwork or strength, currently playing origin, basically injury free (touch wood), prime playing years and still improving in the position for LESS than 900k?

No? 900k it is then.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: December 20, 2019, 7:36 pm It's the market rate for a primary half.
And i love CNK, but whilst one was playing his way to the CCM, the other was going off the park with cramps in the dying stages... no disrepect but that's just fact.

CNK will need to develop some ball playing before he's put above Wighton in importance.
Wighton is more important to us than CNK because he consistently delivered outstanding kicking and running games which opened up attacking opportunities for his teammate. He also shored up a defensive line that has struggled mightily in recent years.

This has nothing to do with CNK cramping in the GF. Just the importance of the role given to JW as our primary half and the fact he nailed it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sure he nailed it in the grand final and I think that is what sticks in most people's memory of last season but he wasn't our best player last year if looking at the season as a whole. In that regard he wasn't our second, third or fourth best player last season.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Wighton has a lot of holes in his game as a half, and for the money you’d want him to improve on those creative aspects of ball play.
But he also has a lot of strengths, and some that no other half in the league could produce.
Looking forward to watching his progression next year.
Just pay him. It will be worth it.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

gergreg wrote: December 21, 2019, 5:07 am Sure he nailed it in the grand final and I think that is what sticks in most people's memory of last season but he wasn't our best player last year if looking at the season as a whole. In that regard he wasn't our second, third or fourth best player last season.

He nailed it most of the season. At least 3/4 of our matches he would have been in our top 5 or 6 players. I was as vocal a critic of him as you'd get prior to the season but he shut me up.

He's there with Paps Hodgson and Bateman as our most valuable player. As a spine player he gets a s premium that Paps and Bateman possibly miss out on. That's the nature of how teams work their books in the modern day with everyone obsessed with the spine.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
gergreg wrote: December 21, 2019, 5:07 am Sure he nailed it in the grand final and I think that is what sticks in most people's memory of last season but he wasn't our best player last year if looking at the season as a whole. In that regard he wasn't our second, third or fourth best player last season.

He nailed it most of the season. At least 3/4 of our matches he would have been in our top 5 or 6 players. I was as vocal a critic of him as you'd get prior to the season but he shut me up.

He's there with Paps Hodgson and Bateman as our most valuable player. As a spine player he gets a s premium that Paps and Bateman possibly miss out on. That's the nature of how teams work their books in the modern day with everyone obsessed with the spine.
Can't fault or dispute any of those comments. I thought there were games where he wasn't as good as he has shown he could be and that inconsistency from game to game was also apparent within a single game as well - that Darwin game comes to mind.
He is new to the position and areas in his game that need to be better are easily fixed and those holes are more than made up for with his defence. I was trying to put into perspective that he, and the majority of the team, was significantly outplayed and out-enthused by a minimum wage rookie.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I don’t think 900K is unreasonable - though as a general point, it’s not a good idea to compare value based on bad deals other clubs made (such as Ben Hunt or Ash Taylor). We are lucky he is one of our juniors. Trying to get him over from another club would cost us 1m +, you would think.

I hope Jack continues to put the extras in - his kicking game improved out of sight in 2019, he needs to keep growing there. I still think he puts a little bit too much on his grubbers and short kicks, room to improve. His ball playing - he had some nice slight of hand at fullback, once he adjusts to less space as a half, he will get better. He will need to step up big time early in 2020, as Williams adjusts to the NRL.
Last edited by TongueFTW on December 21, 2019, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think it’s a bit high for what he brings to the team, but hopefully he continues to improve as a player.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

For mine $800K was the right number but happy to see him stay.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

BJ wrote:I think it’s a bit high for what he brings to the team, but hopefully he continues to improve as a player.
Agree with you and Gerg.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.