Canberra Raiders preparing to start extending grand final heroes

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders preparing to start extending grand final heroes

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Cranky Old Man wrote: October 14, 2019, 6:07 pm From a probably reliable source, Rapana is off to Japan on $500K, back to Canberra circa round 3 on minimum wage. Don't know what happens after 2020.
If this is true, that's amazing... I'm all for holding on to Rapana if he's here on minimum wage
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They can’t. It’s entirely legal

He’s being paid X to play for the Canberra Raiders
He’s off contract and is free to do as he pleased until such time as he signs an NRL contract, and as long as he does so before the deadline, it’ll all be fine

It’s not without risks... if Raps does his ACL playing Japanese Rugby, obviously there will be no deal forthcoming

I can’t see any way the NRL takes issue with this
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It's clever. Not something I'm used to saying about our recruitment / retention.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 6:54 pm They can’t. It’s entirely legal

He’s off contract and is free to do as he pleased until such time as he signs an NRL contract, and as long as he does so before the deadline, it’ll all be fine

It’s not without risks... if Raps does his ACL playing Japanese Rugby, obviously there will be no deal forthcoming

The NRL won't allow a player that far below his market rate. We can pay him less but on the cap it won't be minimum wage.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:

The NRL won't allow a player that far below his market rate. We can pay him less but on the cap it won't be minimum wage.
Mark Gasnier a classic example.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:06 pm

Why not? They may look extensively into the deal when it’s so dramatically below market, but as long as there is no money being exchanged on our end under the table, on what grounds do they have to tell a player what he’s willing to earn

And in this instance, it’s simple... he’s willing to play for well below market because he’s supplemented his income by playing another code, which he’s entitled to do given he’s not contacted to any NRL club at the time

I could be wrong and the NRL may make a rule up as they go, but as long as we haven’t been involved in his RU deal, and we’ve got the cap space to sign him for what he’s happy to play with, I can’t see what the NRL’s problem would be
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The rule is an old one, it's the one that blocked Folau. The Eels wanted to register him for 150k but Schubert said his market value was 400k.

Whether 100k is too far below market would be the question. It does seem to be pretty variable in its application.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wasnt the issue with Parra and Folau that they were seeking to exceed the salary cap for that year to sign him, and then have a reduced cap the following year to balance it out so they'd spend the same amount over 2 years and the NRL said, no that's not on.

I seem to recall that the Eels wanted to do some funny stuff to try and fit him in
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I would almost bet my house that the NRL wouldn't allow that.

* I don't actually own a house, I own an apartment.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:07 pm I would almost bet my house that the NRL wouldn't allow that.
I'd almost take that bet.
There's a gorilla, on da table.

You bloody wuss.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

PigRickman wrote: October 14, 2019, 8:02 pm Wasnt the issue with Parra and Folau that they were seeking to exceed the salary cap for that year to sign him, and then have a reduced cap the following year to balance it out so they'd spend the same amount over 2 years and the NRL said, no that's not on.

I seem to recall that the Eels wanted to do some funny stuff to try and fit him in
Based on this article they had 110k left on the cap, but Schubert said his value was 400k. The Eels offered 350k first year heavily backended but they needed to release someone. Then Schubert changed his mind and decided that he was only worth 250k but by that point Folau was sick of getting stuffed around and had signed with the Warratahs.

So who knows? It's another rule we only know about through the papers.Schubert certainly screwed the Eels on that one though.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The thing is though, how much would a winger like Rapana be on currently? I would doubt it's all that much more than say $400k... his reported figure is $500k which I suspect is slightly inflated by his management... even if the NRL puts his value higher and register him on a higher than minimum contract, they can't really put it at much higher than say $200k, as he's entitled to take a pay cut if he wishes for the sake of holding the team together and a shot at a premiership. It's perfectly plausible for the Raiders to argue that they couldn't fit him at his current rate and he chose to secure the rugby deal for himself so he could afford to take less money to play for us. Even at something like $200k under the cap, that's still a win for us.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

That's true. Given the players are paid from November for their following years contract you could argue that signing him round 3 is reducing his deal by a third or more. In which case 200k would be fair enough.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I’ve said it all along, but I’m CERTAIN the NRL is going to block this, otherwise every team will do it next year, why wouldn’t they?

I’m sure they’ve set precedent to stop this thing in the past, I just can’t think of who it was they put the foot down on... Benji Marshall perhaps?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Rickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 7:39 am I’ve said it all along, but I’m CERTAIN the NRL is going to block this, otherwise every team will do it next year, why wouldn’t they?

I’m sure they’ve set precedent to stop this thing in the past, I just can’t think of who it was they put the foot down on... Benji Marshall perhaps?
Marshall was on contract. Tigers wanted to release him and re-sign him on the cheap the next season.

I am sure they may try but I can't see legally how the NRL would stop a free agent doing what he wants.
Last edited by edwahu on October 15, 2019, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

edwahu wrote:
The Rickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 7:39 am I’ve said it all along, but I’m CERTAIN the NRL is going to block this, otherwise every team will do it next year, why wouldn’t they?

Marshall was on contract. Tigers wanted to release him and re-sign him on the cheap the next season.

I can't see legally how the NRL would stop a free agent doing what he wants.
I can’t see why every team isn’t going to do this then and create an absolutely farcical situation.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 7:45 am
edwahu wrote:

I can’t see why every team isn’t going to do this then and create an absolutely farcical situation.
I know the situation is a bit different but the Roosters supposedly carry several players on contracts lower than what they could potentially earn on the market for the chance of winning a premiership... I don't see how this would be much different, particularly considering the fact that we would be forgoing a third of a year of his contract to pull it off. I also don't think every player nor team would be keen on a player heading overseas to play rugby in the off season with the potential injury risks associated with a move like this.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

In saying that, you never know with the NRL... it's hard to determine the logic behind a lot of their rulings/decisions
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I love Jordy and want him here next year. but I want him here 100% or not at all.

This Rugby/NRL combo is a bloody big risk to take in my opinion. He wouldnt leave with out some form of contract or agreement in place to return round 3. We open ourselves up to betting the house on him not being injured playing a different sport in a different country. Big risk.

We also have zero control over his fitness/S+C for the preseason - relying on someone else to keep/get him into shape. Big risk.

It also means we have to save a wage and roster spot for his return, meaning that our entire preseason will be spent with a player training to all out structures and set plays who we only plan on using for 3 rounds. Also Jordy would come back for round 3 with NO training with the first grade quad and would have to be playing catchup for the first half of the season, and will already be fatigued from playing Rugby all summer. Everyone talks about how crucial a full preseason is, and he will not get one. Big risk.

I just feel in the position we are in, with cap pressure, that if we cant come to an agreement with Rapa to commit to the full pre-season and season in its entirety we need to commit to someone else.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 7:45 am
edwahu wrote:

Isn't going to do what?
The NRL wont allow contracted players to go and play another code, so it's only available to players who are off contract... and there are risks. Like Latrell Mitchell could it, right? Go and play Japanese Rugby for 500k, play for the Roosters for 300k, so 800k a year total... but that necessitates him signing one year deals only, every year. The moment he signs for more than 1 year, he's contracted to the NRL and cant play another code whilst contracted.

If he gets injured playing rugby and has to miss the year, the roosters arent going to sign him, so he'll miss out on his 300k.

But ultimately Jordan Rapana is not contracted to the NRL, they have no control over what he does. He is free to go and play rugby, soccer or bocce if he likes... and then when that contract is up, he's again free to do as he pleases.... if he's fit and healthy and it pleases him to then return to canberra and play for an agreed amount, i dont see how the NRL can stop that... they'll look into this deal and make sure the Raiders havent been involved or complicit in any deal he's struck, but all the Raiders need to do is say "Thanks for your efforts Jordan, we wish you all the best and if you get itchy feet for RL again, please come and speak to us first, and we'll see what we can do"

It's a very slippery slope if the NRL are going to say and free agent and club can only agree to a deal that suits their idea of his market value... especially a 30 year old winger, with injury history.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Just seems like a really dodgy idea to me for some reason, and I'm not sure it should be allowed.

I'll bet the NRL doesn't like it either and will be looking at it VERY closely.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 9:50 am Just seems like a really dodgy idea to me for some reason, and I'm not sure it should be allowed.

Oh they'll look at it for sure... and to put this into another sort of context... if this was an off contract Jordan Rapana working at QBN leagues for 6 months for 800k a year prorated, and then walked back into the club... or any other private business, BIG problems...

Any link between the club and that employment will be treated as complicit attempts to subvert the salary cap... but he's just going to play RU. There is no chance we have any impact on whether a RU club signs him. We're clean as a whistle on that, and all we can say is "all the best Jordan, if you're healthy at the end of that season, let us know and we'll see what we can do"

It maybe that the NRL comes up with a rule to block that... i dont see how they could, or why they'd bother unless superstars of the game started doing one year deals, risked their financial security to help build super clubs... but it's the NRL, so anything is possible... but as of right now, i dont see why they'd give a ****
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Everyone might do it if they can convince their player who is off contract to move to Japan for 6 months without a signed deal to return, and actually get a deal from a team over there. And be happy with them not doing a pre season with the squad.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 10:21 am
The Rickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 9:50 am Just seems like a really dodgy idea to me for some reason, and I'm not sure it should be allowed.

Oh they'll look at it for sure... and to put this into another sort of context... if this was an off contract Jordan Rapana working at QBN leagues for 6 months for 800k a year prorated, and then walked back into the club... or any other private business, BIG problems...

Any link between the club and that employment will be treated as complicit attempts to subvert the salary cap... but he's just going to play RU. There is no chance we have any impact on whether a RU club signs him. We're clean as a whistle on that, and all we can say is "all the best Jordan, if you're healthy at the end of that season, let us know and we'll see what we can do"

It maybe that the NRL comes up with a rule to block that... i dont see how they could, or why they'd bother unless superstars of the game started doing one year deals, risked their financial security to help build super clubs... but it's the NRL, so anything is possible... but as of right now, i dont see why they'd give a ****
Because... it’s the NRL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: October 15, 2019, 10:27 am Everyone might do it if they can convince their player who is off contract to move to Japan for 6 months without a signed deal to return, and actually get a deal from a team over there. And be happy with them not doing a pre season with the squad.
Haha indeed.
And risk the injuries... like the Raiders wouldnt let Jack Wighton or John Bateman do this, they're too important to the team...they want them locked up long term and in cotton wool in the off seasons.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 15, 2019, 10:37 am Because... it’s the NRL.
There is always that.
I would hope the club has dotted it's t's and crossed it's i's if this is the path Jordan wants to go down to make sure this isnt going to be an issue.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Oh well, looks like it's wooden spoon for us next year.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

You sound worried Azza.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 10:38 am
Beejay wrote: October 15, 2019, 10:27 am Everyone might do it if they can convince their player who is off contract to move to Japan for 6 months without a signed deal to return, and actually get a deal from a team over there. And be happy with them not doing a pre season with the squad.
Haha indeed.
And risk the injuries... like the Raiders wouldnt let Jack Wighton or John Bateman do this, they're too important to the team...they want them locked up long term and in cotton wool in the off seasons.
That's the key. Clubs would only allow this with players that are somewhat expendable. Risk is too great otherwise.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: October 15, 2019, 11:45 am Oh well, looks like it's wooden spoon for us next year.
Do you win the spoon if you fold in April? I'm assuming we'd already have more points than the Titans will muster by then.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on October 15, 2019, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I guess my biggest concern about this, is it would mean that Rapana doesn't get an off-season at all. If he's getting paid big money for a stint in the Top League, the corporate overlords paying his salary aren't going to let him half-**** it. Especially given that rugby is at the absolute highest it's ever been in Japan right now - they'll be expecting their marquee players to deliver to put bums on seats.

I dare say they'd play him in the 15 or 13 because they'd want him to have as many touches as possible during the game. He'd be absolutely knackered when he gets back - and we then expect him to slot right in and play 25 weeks of football having already just played a dozen or so in Japan? It's an enormous risk.

If we're moving on BJ as rumoured, where does that leave us poised for round 1?

2-Simmonson
3-Croker
4-Cotric
5-Oldfield/Lomax?

I'm not sure if I like this plan.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I believe from other sources that Rapana is keen to stay in Canberra for a number of reasons, ie his partners family are all here, he has a home here he doesn't particularly want to leave, he is very attached to the club and its players, he feels strongly that good things are around the corner for the club and he wants to be part of that especially having endured the darkish turnaround era etc.
Mr Politis and his apologists have frequently regaled us with tales of enthusiastic players taking massive paycuts in order to be in his social circuit, foregoing hundreds of thousands of dollars to satisfy their desire to play for Easts and enjoy the chance of winning that comes from having multitudes of lowly paid high achievers gathered all in the one place. The NRL has not commented either way on the desirability of clubs being able to stockpile talent at below the market price, as boasted by Easts, why would it bother itself if Canberra managed to get a player such as Rapana to play on the cheap in his probable sunset years?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:I love Jordy and want him here next year. but I want him here 100% or not at all.

This Rugby/NRL combo is a bloody big risk to take in my opinion. He wouldnt leave with out some form of contract or agreement in place to return round 3. We open ourselves up to betting the house on him not being injured playing a different sport in a different country. Big risk.

We also have zero control over his fitness/S+C for the preseason - relying on someone else to keep/get him into shape. Big risk.

It also means we have to save a wage and roster spot for his return, meaning that our entire preseason will be spent with a player training to all out structures and set plays who we only plan on using for 3 rounds. Also Jordy would come back for round 3 with NO training with the first grade quad and would have to be playing catchup for the first half of the season, and will already be fatigued from playing Rugby all summer. Everyone talks about how crucial a full preseason is, and he will not get one. Big risk.

I just feel in the position we are in, with cap pressure, that if we cant come to an agreement with Rapa to commit to the full pre-season and season in its entirety we need to commit to someone else.
I dont want to pull a Billy here but there is probably more risk of him returning from a rugby stint, on the wing, with chronic pneumonia than an actual injury.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders face the price of NRL success

The reality that Canberra's players are now worth more than they were just months ago leaves the club locked in a battle to balance the books. Managers are pushing for upgrades and extensions while players are ticking off the incentives in their contracts.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239