Will next year be different to 2016

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Will next year be different to 2016

Post by gangrenous »

yurithe1 wrote:Let me say it now though: we are crap at starting seasons and I'm not going to read too much into what happens for the first three rounds unless the attitude does turn out to be **** or we still have with carry-over injuries from the rep games.
We need to start strong and set ourselves in the top 4 again. The good teams don’t set them a hole to have to dig out of. They start strong, dip in the middle, then ramp back up to finals.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think most people have nailed it.

If we can maintain our standard in defence we will improve. I believe we can actually improve in defence, with a more settled lineup and experience from Bateman, Horsburgh and Guler who all gave away a number of cheap penalties through the season but improved as time went on. George Williams is the only big question mark.

In 2016 our attack relied on the Leilua and Rapana show, as well as Hodgson surprising the comp and Cotric's excellent work out of dummy half. This year we saw a bit of ad-lib stuff from Bateman early (the surprise element) and Wighton did a power of work running from 5/8. However we looked clunky at times as CNK was new to the spine and our halves/hooker combo was all over the shop early.

Next year I expect a more cohesive structure in attack, with G Williams providing some flair. We still won't have a dominant halfback, so Hodgson is going to have to develop a good balance between him, Wighton and Williams calling the plays. CNK will almost undoubtedly develop his ball playing but I expect Bateman will have less impact with the ball. I expect Cotric to improve, although he will have a busy off-season so may be a bit flat to start the year.

It'll be different, but our foundations for success are clearly better than they were in 2016. The attitude of much of the playing group in 2017 was ****house. Boyd, Paulo, Leilua, Austin, and even Wighton... so bad. That won't happen again.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s hard to believe at the start of this season we were debating whether we had the worst spine in the competition.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote: In 2016 our attack relied on the Leilua and Rapana show, as well as Hodgson surprising the comp and Cotric's excellent work out of dummy half.
Your point stands as the approach was pretty much the same for 2017 and 18 as well. But Cotric only debuted in 17.

I understand if you’ve blocked 2016 Edrick Lee from your memory.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: October 9, 2019, 6:53 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: In 2016 our attack relied on the Leilua and Rapana show, as well as Hodgson surprising the comp and Cotric's excellent work out of dummy half.
Your point stands as the approach was pretty much the same for 2017 and 18 as well. But Cotric only debuted in 17.

I understand if you’ve blocked 2016 Edrick Lee from your memory.
Ahh yeah, good point! :lol: It was that transition into 2017 wasn't it. It's all a blur. :P

Edrick Lee indeed.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I think we will remain a top 4 side. As noted above - our culture, accountability, and attitude has improved out of sight. This is readily seen in defence. And culture starts at the top. It was mentioned above that Ricky has changed the way he speaks (which reflects thinking). The sports psych may have had some impact, but imo the shake up to the coaching group would have been just as or more important. And McFadden was the big change there. I suspect he has been an excellent addition (and one we should keep around for a while).