Let’s get behind Erin Molan

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Let’s get behind Erin Molan

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:49 am As far as I know, Pig/Rick don’t even watch channel 9? They bag the living hell out of it, it would very much surprise me if they do.
You've got that **** spot on, old friend. Fergus sent me a text the other night telling me to turn on Nine and he was absolutely flabbergasted when I told him I didn't have Channel 9 and my antenna blew down in a storm or cyclone sometime in the last 5 years.

I have no idea when because it probably took me at least a year to figure out I had no free-to-air channels.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Sossman wrote: October 2, 2019, 8:07 am Her Dad is an absolute piece of work, but nothing against Erin. I thought she was a pretty good pundit?
Agree as an ex military man. Her dad is a dangerous fruit loop. He earned his nickname the ‘butcher of Baghdad’
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 10:08 am
yeh raiders wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:49 am As far as I know, Pig/Rick don’t even watch channel 9? They bag the living hell out of it, it would very much surprise me if they do.
You've got that **** spot on, old friend. Fergus sent me a text the other night telling me to turn on Nine and he was absolutely flabbergasted when I told him I didn't have Channel 9 and my antenna blew down in a storm or cyclone sometime in the last 5 years.
:lol:
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I like her!
Good on her for sticking it up **** brigade on that putrid network.
Even better that she is a Raiders fan!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Beejay wrote: October 2, 2019, 7:12 am I don’t get what people don’t like about her TBH
Agree. People just seem to like attacking her for no reason, and have done so ever since she starting working in RL media.

I've met her a couple of times and as a person she couldn't have been warmer or more friendly.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

raiderskater wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:59 am
yeh raiders wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:49 am And Being good at your job (in a public facing media role) means you add value to the product and draw a crowd.

I haven’t heard a single person ever react positively to the fact that Molan is on the tele they’re watching.
But that's societal. You're missing the point. The point is that people's lack of positive reaction to Molan is because she is a woman presenting and commenting on what is seen as traditionally a "man's sport". She's no worse as a presenter than anyone else on that panel.

Trust me, even being just a female fan or participant in a traditionally "male sport" SUCKS, so I can't imagine what it must be like to be trying to be a pundit.
Look I absolutely agree that the 1% of people who compile 100% of the direct abuse, trolling, death threats - have no excuses for doing so and there’s no place for that. They “hate” Molan especially because of the Footy show, which was all channel 9’s fault etc etc.

But if we’re discussing the broader value of Molan’s input as a presenter and we’re going to bring sexism into that discussion, i **** hate Fox (most of the time) because I can’t stand the blokes on there!

Blocker has fallen off a cliff in the last 5/10 years, Hodges is woeful as is Kevvie. The entire commentary team, basically regardless of the combination of who they are all yelling over the top of each other and constantly competing for airtime.

That does my head in far more than Gould’s bias and anytime Johns dribbles that “the game is not played in slow motion, why are replaying it in slow motion?”.....

And further to the sexism argument, Ruan Sims is pretty good. She adds plenty and she doesn’t cop much criticism from what I can recall - if you can forgive that time she was rightfully blasted for picking her 3-2-1 points and including a player that didn’t even take the field.

Anyone who follows racing and watches Sky sports knows how brilliant Lizzie Jelfs is. She is rated accordingly.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

That blowing the horn gag, the guys were playing on Erin Molan was just an example of how weak Channel 9 football coverage has become.

Pardon the pun for using ‘gag’ in this context.

Erin Molan is a fine support act for a sports panel show, but she ain’t supporting much league intellect.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

afgtnk wrote: October 2, 2019, 10:37 am
Beejay wrote: October 2, 2019, 7:12 am I don’t get what people don’t like about her TBH
Agree. People just seem to like attacking her for no reason, and have done so ever since she starting working in RL media.

I've met her a couple of times and as a person she couldn't have been warmer or more friendly.
Sincere question. Having met her in person does she come across differently to what she does on Ch9?

This was a something I mentioned earlier. On radio she's relaxed and confident. On TV she's the opposite. Why that is I can't say. I just feel we're not seeing the 'real' Erin Molan on Ch9.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:01 am

Sincere question. Having met her in person does she come across differently to what she does on Ch9?

This was a something I mentioned earlier. On radio she's relaxed and confident. On TV she's the opposite. Why that is I can't say. I just feel we're not seeing the 'real' Erin Molan on Ch9.
I would suspect that's the difference between presenting on TV and radio though. She's also generally always hosting the TV show she's on as well, so she's naturally going to be a bit more uptight than she would be if she were just a panelist. I haven't heard her on radio too much but is she the host on those shows?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:09 am
Northern Raider wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:01 am

I would suspect that's the difference between presenting on TV and radio though. She's also generally always hosting the TV show she's on as well, so she's naturally going to be a bit more uptight than she would be if she were just a panelist. I haven't heard her on radio too much but is she the host on those shows?
Not the host on radio so yeah, that would be a factor. Then again you can host and still be natural.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

raiderskater wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:59 am
yeh raiders wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:49 am And Being good at your job (in a public facing media role) means you add value to the product and draw a crowd.

I haven’t heard a single person ever react positively to the fact that Molan is on the tele they’re watching.
But that's societal. You're missing the point. The point is that people's lack of positive reaction to Molan is because she is a woman presenting and commenting on what is seen as traditionally a "man's sport". She's no worse as a presenter than anyone else on that panel.

Trust me, even being just a female fan or participant in a traditionally "male sport" SUCKS, so I can't imagine what it must be like to be trying to be a pundit.
The problem with Molan isn't that she's a woman rather she's a trained journalist. Trained journalists who havent played the game will never get the same respect as those who've actually played the game and can offer insight and analysis from a practical perspective rather than having gleaned their knowledge of the game from the TV screen. Michael Slater is another who failed to connect as well with the NRL fan base due to his polished presenting skills which really juxtaposes with NRL's reputation as a rough around the edges working class game. Similarly Molan comes across as a bit upper class, educated and intelligent, so she might provoke the ire of those who believe the game belongs to the riff raff of society.

I have no problem with Molan, I think she does a pretty good job interviewing players, even when she was hosting the Footy Show alongside Fatty thought she pulled her weight, but if you can't handle internet comments about your looks then you shouldn't be in the public sphere.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

rayden83 wrote: October 2, 2019, 12:44 pm ... but if you can't handle internet comments about your looks then you shouldn't be in the public sphere.
Or maybe those people shouldnt be making lewd and sexist comments about her looks?
Why is the onus on her to "handle" other grown **** adults being ****?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Northern Raider wrote:
raiderskater wrote: October 2, 2019, 7:42 am
She's a woman, who knows and likes rugby league and is more articulate than the ex-players on the panel. (Not that it's hard when you're standing next to Andrew Johns.)

If you ever watch the shows with her, she has a torrid time. The men constantly talk over her, or ignore her. Not to mention it must be lonely being the only Raiders fan in the joint.
Plenty of women on the Fox League list who don't attract the same response.
That's fox not the channel 9 old boys club

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
rayden83 wrote: October 2, 2019, 12:44 pm ... but if you can't handle internet comments about your looks then you shouldn't be in the public sphere.
Or maybe those people shouldnt be making lewd and sexist comments about her looks?
Yeah, that's an absolutely disgraceful comment by rayden. Nobody should have to deal with that garbage in ANY "sphere".
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Guys as another female I feel for Erin.
If you look at old footage of her working for WIN she looked and sounded so different

Channel 9/ the footy show " created " the Erin you see today. She wasn't allowed to be herself and now gets crucified for it.

No one makes the guys like fatty, sterlo, joey, gus look a certain way or act a certain way

Vaccinated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

But they will. There's no preventing it. Same as players need to put up with opposition fans in the crowd giving it to them.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

No they shouldn't, but then again people shouldn't be mean to each other, and we should all stop killing animals and learn to be kinder to each other. But this is the world we live in, especially on the internet, so it's best to learn to become resilient and thick skinned rather than waiting for the world to change.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

rayden83 wrote: October 2, 2019, 2:29 pm
No they shouldn't, but then again people shouldn't be mean to each other, and we should all stop killing animals and learn to be kinder to each other. But this is the world we live in, especially on the internet, so it's best to learn to become resilient and thick skinned rather than waiting for the world to change.
Ah. The old "women shouldn't walk at night, or alone, or wear short skirts, or they might be raped, because we can't stop rape so we should not bother to try" mentality. Love it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Rayden I get what you your saying and agree to a certain extent BUT that doesn't mean people should be excepted to call Erin or others names based on their appearance.

And channel 9 and fox should treat and present female panel members the same way they do the guys.

None on this is about treating people differently based on their gender/looks/nationality etc. Its about treating everyone the same and with respect.

And for the record I think Erin does have a thick skin and its the brutality and agression in the trolling that has upset her not the odd comment by the average person

Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

She txt DFurner and said she was available to blow the horn at any time..

Get in line Erin and wait yr turn...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Erin Molan is judged by different standards to most of those numpties on Channel 9. She knows the game and is a good presenter IMO.

Goodness only knows what sort of crap she has had to deal with in that environment over the years. Andrew Johns is a damn good footballer, but history shows he is clearly a bottom-feeder of a human being. I'm sure he is largely to blame for this situation.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

When I left school and moved to Sydney I used to regularly attend the match of the round at the SCG and if I wasn't playing I would attend a game at a suburban ground as well. Crowd makeup then was overwhelmingly male, probably 70/30 or more. Overwhelmingly uncouth and prone to sudden violence as well.
Sports commentators and journalists then were 100% male, usually middleaged. (They drank and smoked so much they didn't live to old age).
Now women and young childrenmake up a big proportion of spectators at the ground and as TV watchers. They have no interest in watching boofheaded old males spouting misogynist rubbish in commentary and so women have been brought in to be an antidote to that crap. Where they have been effective (ABC, Fox, SMH) the commentary is much improved and ratings better. Where they have been ineffective, (Nine) the credibility of the show has continued to slide. By that measure, Erin Molan has been something of a failure, but I doubt any person could have rescued that cauldron of pus.
There are plenty of cranky middle aged (mental, rather than physical ages) men who pine for the supposed heyday of channel 9 and the input of Fatty etc and they seem more than ready to blame the passing of the good old days on the most visible target, Erin Molan. She is everything they hate, young, female, educated and well spoken, successful and a harbinger of change. She reminds them of their failures, and rather than attempt to remedy their failings they attack her as an easy out.
The comparisons of success for Erin should not be with the women on Fox or elsewhere, but rather the dead wood males she succeeded at Nine.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good post.

Yes, the culture at Fox (and quality of coverage, generally speaking) is incomparable to that of Channel 9, which is clearly shackled to the dark ages.

It's unbelievable how much money Channel 9 paid to cover the game, yet still manages to treat it like a product from the 70's or 80's.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

The general standard of footy commentary on both 9 and fox is atrocious
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote:Good post.

Yes, the culture at Fox (and quality of coverage, generally speaking) is incomparable to that of Channel 9, which is clearly shackled to the dark ages.

It's unbelievable how much money Channel 9 paid to cover the game, yet still manages to treat it like a product from the 70's or 80's.
Fox is just as bad. Matty Johns is exactly the same formula as The Footy Show. Some of the stuff on that show and “The Professor” are, to say the least, an embarrassment... and at times disgusting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Riaan wrote: October 2, 2019, 8:10 pm The general standard of footy commentary on both 9 and fox is atrocious
Braith Anasta
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Give the guy on ABC the gig, hes outstanding, Luke Lewis is good too.
Only one im not keen on is the guy with the dumb laugh.

What if....... there was an FM station for the footy that only had women commentators?
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

raiderskater wrote: October 2, 2019, 4:32 pm
rayden83 wrote: October 2, 2019, 2:29 pm
Ah. The old "women shouldn't walk at night, or alone, or wear short skirts, or they might be raped, because we can't stop rape so we should not bother to try" mentality. Love it.
Um, you can’t stop rape, but you can police against it. Ya know, arrest people and put them in jail n stuff. You can’t do diddly on the internet, other than control your own response and reaction.

Of course comments against Erin are terrible, but you haven’t spent enough time on the internet if you are genuinely upset and shocked by this.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Right, well that's settled that matter
There is nothing to be done so women who are hounded day and night by **** trolls with misognyst, vulgar and sexist Bull will just have to cop it i guess, or just quit their jobs.

Good grief
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:10 pm Right, well that's settled that matter
There is nothing to be done so women who are hounded day and night by **** trolls with misognyst, vulgar and sexist Bull will just have to cop it i guess, or just quit their jobs.

Good grief
Pretty much. It’s not just women who are being abused, men are targets as well, but when it’s a bloke it doesn’t seem to attract as much media attention or confected sympathy from all the knights in shining armour. No one would accept an NRL player quitting football because of online abuse, they would be told the best strategy to deal with it is just to ignore it, rather than go the media and plead for all the mean people to stop being mean.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Good grief. What a load of absolute **** to wake up to.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:Good grief. What a load of absolute **** to wake up to.
Indeed. Some of us would do well to re-read Crankys post.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

rayden83 wrote:
PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:10 pm Right, well that's settled that matter

Good grief
Pretty much. It’s not just women who are being abused, men are targets as well, but when it’s a bloke it doesn’t seem to attract as much media attention or confected sympathy from all the knights in shining armour. No one would accept an NRL player quitting football because of online abuse, they would be told the best strategy to deal with it is just to ignore it, rather than go the media and plead for all the mean people to stop being mean.
I have sympathy for Josh McGuire types - no way should anyone be targeting his family due to on field related matters.

BUT no one here can compare that to the amount of discrimination and abuse due to gender, race or sexual orientation. We'd be saying the exact thing is someone was having a crack at Soliola based on race.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

This is the world we live in now folks. The advent of social media allows anybody to air their views to a wide audience at the click of a button. Those in the public eye will always be the easiest targets.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Two gg's in the same thread. The apocalypse is nigh, people.