All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: John Bateman hoses down report his future clouded at Canberra Raiders

Post by Seiffert82 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 2, 2019, 7:17 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 2, 2019, 12:56 am I don't care if he's worth it or not. Based on his current deal he is obviously worth more on the open market, but it absolutely stinks that this has been raised in the media by his manager on the eve of the club's first grand final in 25 years. What is even worse is that Bateman himself has run with it in the media.

It's next level disrespectful to his teammates, the club and the fans.

Each and every player needs to "do what's best for me and best for my family". No **** Sherlock. We get it. At least Leilua and his manager have had the decency to have their discussions behind closed doors.

****. No wonder the fans get turned off these blokes.
It's interesting as I mentioned you wouldn't have seen this fly in 1989. The other interesting aspect your post made me think of is this also wouldn't fly in a highly professional league like the NBA, no player would be complaining about his deal during the NBA Finals as it would be a PR disaster. Of course this is ironic given a player can be shipped off midseason by a team with no notice.

We're in the middle ground I would say. The wealth isn't generational like it is in the major sports around the world, although it is rapidly moving forward in that space. With that being the case there is less consideration for the brand of the employer.
Yeah, I bet the club simply now can't wait to sit down with his manager to nut out an upgrade after these shenanigans on the eve of a Grand Final. What an entirely professional thing for Moses to do.

These guys are dead set idiots. It pisses me off.

You're right. The NBA is an absolute clown fest when it comes to players on multi-million dollar deals phoning it in to get out of contracts etc, but you never hear about it on the eve of the Finals. This is next level ridiculous.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We'll that's not really true at all though.
Kevin Durrant, and his pending free agency, along with Kawhi Leonard and who he was trying to entice to team up with etc... that was all the talk during the NBA finals.
Even if you want to talk about players not leaving but renegotiating their deal, there was plenty of chatter about Draymond Green and Klay Thompson and whether the warriors would offer them max deals at the end of the finals, and those players and their managers never shied away from that chatter at all

This is business guys. There is nothing disrespectful about this at all. JB wants a new contract that pays him inline with his level of play, his manager wants a bigger 3%, the Raiders want him at the club for as long as they can and are willing to shed players so they can do that... they all want the same thing.

It's a non issue. Not a single player in our top 30 has lost a second of sleep thinking about this. No one in their right mind thinks this will impact JB's performance on Sunday adversely

It's just noise. And some of you guys are losing your damn minds about it.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

So Pig, you’d be comfortable with Papalii and Hodgson also fronting up for pay increases given their recent peaking form and the fact there are clubs around the world with money to burn?

Upgrading them could mean we have to offload another good player but it’s just business right?
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: John Bateman to seek upgrade, future clouded at Canberra Raiders

Post by papabear »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 1, 2019, 8:52 pm Imagine Bradley Clyde coming out with this in the week of the 1989 GF haha. Times sure have changed.

I'm pretty sure this will be sorted out. A 4th year added with a small bump next year and big rises in 21 and 22 makes sense.
I agree with the above type compromise. No one forced him to sign a deal and we paid a transfer fee to get him here.

I also think its fine hes trying to up his salary everyone should do so, but the club shouldnt roll over. Worst case scenario just let him sit out for two years, if he is underpaid it wont hit our salary cap very hard, but we dont want to be a club of pussy cats.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 8:42 am We'll that's not really true at all though.
Kevin Durrant, and his pending free agency, along with Kawhi Leonard and who he was trying to entice to team up with etc... that was all the talk during the NBA finals.
Even if you want to talk about players not leaving but renegotiating their deal, there was plenty of chatter about Draymond Green and Klay Thompson and whether the warriors would offer them max deals at the end of the finals, and those players and their managers never shied away from that chatter at all

This is business guys. There is nothing disrespectful about this at all. JB wants a new contract that pays him inline with his level of play, his manager wants a bigger 3%, the Raiders want him at the club for as long as they can and are willing to shed players so they can do that... they all want the same thing.

It's a non issue. Not a single player in our top 30 has lost a second of sleep thinking about this. No one in their right mind thinks this will impact JB's performance on Sunday adversely

The timing of going public with it isnt brilliant.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: October 2, 2019, 8:48 am So Pig, you’d be comfortable with Papalii and Hodgson also fronting up for pay increases given their recent peaking form and the fact there are clubs around the world with money to burn?

Upgrading them could mean we have to offload another good player but it’s just business right?
You guys really don't seem to understand this, but almost any player in the NRL who is getting seriously underpaid versus their value will end up getting upgraded or will leave, contract or not.

People on this forum continually bang on about how players have contracts as if it's the be all and end all, but at the end of the day, guys like CNK and Bateman are entitled to be upgraded to close to what they deserve, contract or no. We couldn't keep playing CNK minimum wage even if his contract was for another 5 years, it's just not fair to do so.

I agree the timing sucks, but to point at the fact he has a contract and saying that he doesn't deserve an upgrade until that expires is so out of touch with the modern game it's not funny.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: October 2, 2019, 8:48 am So Pig, you’d be comfortable with Papalii and Hodgson also fronting up for pay increases given their recent peaking form and the fact there are clubs around the world with money to burn?

Absolutely i'd be comfortable with it. One of the things i have always spoken passionately about here is to advocate for the players right to get their damn money.

They've got 10-12 years to make as much money from this game as they possibly can and they sacrifice their bodies to do so. Their pay, as stated above isnt what it is in world football, or the NBA or NFL, where it's generational, that 3-4 years can set your family up down to your great grand kids up for a great life...

Now the timing aspect is far from great. Id like them to wait until after this weekend to start talking to their managers about their deals, just because i want to avoid this sort of pre game hysteria from the fans, but i also dont think that this is some kind of "distraction" that will impact JB's performance.

After Sunday, i've got no problems with ANY player talking their manager, and the club about their deal if they feel it's not right for them... in some cases like JB, we'll tear the contract up, redo it and pay them to stay... in some cases, like Hodgo and Papalii, they're probably pretty happy with their deals and wont think much about it and no discussion will be had... if they did, given their value to this club, we'd probably sort it out... and there will be some like Lui who can be as unhappy as they like and we'll either say "no worries, if you find a better deal out there and we're not paying freight, we wish you all the best, otherwise we'll see you for pre season training, thanks"

That's up to Ricky, Don and Co to figure out.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Save the Sutton cash, he's been better than I expected but if he's not in our top 18 then save his cash and give it to JB
Edrick The Entertainer
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

FWIW, I trust Ricky and DFJ aren't gonna want to lose Bateman. With Rapana and Sezer likely leaving I'm sure we can use that money and direct it Johnny's way. Sezer and Rapa would surely be on a combined total of 900k you'd think so there'd still be left over cashola to upgrade elsewhere too.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 8:42 am We'll that's not really true at all though.

That's typically media driven rather than player driven though. Both KD and Kawhi went out of their way not to comment on their futures.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider47 wrote: October 2, 2019, 10:01 am FWIW, I trust Ricky and DFJ aren't gonna want to lose Bateman. With Rapana and Sezer likely leaving I'm sure we can use that money and direct it Johnny's way. Sezer and Rapa would surely be on a combined total of 900k you'd think so there'd still be left over cashola to upgrade elsewhere too.
My mail is Sezer is on 900k on his own
source @aksgnlkana
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

:lol:

It's one weird fetish people have with wanting to believe bog average players like Sezer are only paid what they themselves perceive to be 'good value' or on the cheap.

As for JB, if the $350-400k figures are correct, then he'd easily be getting double elsewhere. Don't blame him for wanting an instant upgrade, although still, the timing could definitely have been much better from camp.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

He should be paid next year commensurate to what he's worth, as should CNK. I couldn't give a flying **** what his contract says or how long it goes for, and it's bad form to let a bloke get criminally underpaid.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:17 am He should be paid next year commensurate to what he's worth, as should CNK. I couldn't give a flying **** what his contract says or how long it goes for, and it's bad form to let a bloke get criminally underpaid.
How much should we pay JB? How much for CNK?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

yeh raiders wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:20 am
The Rickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:17 am He should be paid next year commensurate to what he's worth, as should CNK. I couldn't give a flying **** what his contract says or how long it goes for, and it's bad form to let a bloke get criminally underpaid.
JB - 650k
CNK - 400k.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Moses would be looking for more like 800k - 900k.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

More than what they're both on now.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If he wins the CCM, he can have the entire **** salary cap for all i care.
Just win this week and if we win the next 5 spoons with JB and a bunch of volunteers, im good
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Moses could have shown some respect and waited 7 days.

That's why we're all pearced at this.

One lousy week..

imo..Bateman is happy. This is Mr 6% chasing his 6%.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:55 am
Just win this week and if we win the next 5 spoons with JB and a bunch of volunteers, im good
Are you applying the same rules to Sezer when he wins it then?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:55 am Moses could have shown some respect and waited 7 days.

One lousy week..

Try 10% + 20% of all TPAs + hidden retainers and signing bonuses no doubt.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: October 2, 2019, 12:04 pm
-PJ- wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:55 am Moses could have shown some respect and waited 7 days.

One lousy week..

Try 10% + 20% of all TPAs + hidden retainers no doubt.
Gday ed,

Whatever the number is mate.

He's trying to bump his clients wage up to line his own pocket..fair enough to.

He could have waited till after Sunday..disgraceful..greedy !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:55 am
😂😂😂
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I’d say this is exactly why sezer will be let go, Leilua will be let go, and why rapana the absolute god is going to line his pockets in Japanese rugby over the off season and come back home to the raiders in may next year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The grim part of this for me is, this really drives home how big this game is

This is not a club where I think we can expect to be back here competing for a title again next year... we might be, but this team is going to be pretty different next year and maybe it’ll be better but also maybe it won’t

The roosters? They’ll be there again soon. If we let this opportunity slip, who’s to say when our next real shot comes?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Media speculation about something that had been discussed all season is entirely different from a player manager dropping a bombshell on the eve of a Grand Final.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

What bombshell? haha
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Issac moses has had a few blues with donny and the club

This has nothing to do with bateman, this is issac trying to de stabilise the week

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote: October 2, 2019, 1:23 pm Issac moses has had a few blues with donny and the club

This has nothing to do with bateman, this is issac trying to de stabilise the week

Come on now.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

The Rickman wrote:
cat wrote: October 2, 2019, 1:23 pm Issac moses has had a few blues with donny and the club

Come on now.
Not saying Bateman doesn't plan to sit down and talk cash with donny but the timing of it is all moses

Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's entirely unprofessional, whatever the story.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Mmm, Normal grabs at sensationalism by hacks around GF time, I could give a flying **** about any of it, Hes got one hell of job to do and any truth to **** Bull will only drive the mad **** harder.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 1:14 pm What bombshell? haha
Ahh, talking about renegotiating the contract of a marquee player, one year into a 3 year deal, on the eve of the club's first grand final in a quarter of a century is more than a little bit inflammatory. Hence the commentary all through the media.

What other definition of bombshell is there?
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

PigRickman wrote: October 2, 2019, 12:41 pm The grim part of this for me is, this really drives home how big this game is

This is not a club where I think we can expect to be back here competing for a title again next year... we might be, but this team is going to be pretty different next year and maybe it’ll be better but also maybe it won’t

The roosters? They’ll be there again soon. If we let this opportunity slip, who’s to say when our next real shot comes?

The Roosters?

They never have to deal with this stuff, when they lose Cronk expect he was on 4 mill and they sign 4 top players with the money.

Its lopsided and stinks and the NRL let it happen.

This, the play the balls and the officiating is strangling the game.

Still hope we win on Sunday though !