greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

2.5 weeks has passed.. and i'd like to think emotion has turned into objective thinking in my mind.

We were hard done by that call..here is my thinking:

- Yes, "Raiders couldn't break the line after all the possession" and soo what?! holding the ball and putting constant pressure is part of the game. Just because a team doesn't break the line after however minutes of pressure doesn't actually mean anything. We earn't the ball and deserved to hold or play a proper last tackle option.

- having watched a lot of replays of the controversial call from the bomb, there is no way anyone can conclusively say that it didn't come off Tedesco - either initially or at some point. So I think the initial call was probably correct and I think any neutral league supporter would agree with the initial 6 again call. The point I'm wanting to emphasis here is I disagree with the post match assessment the final "call was correct".

- Our defense was not set-up after the '6 again' stuff up, which enabled them to do what they did and score a "run away" try. I think more time was needed to examine the situation and at least provide a forum to discuss what had happened. This would have allowed for our defense to be properly set-up.

- Raiders truly matched it with the best and probably played better than the Roosters in the GF.

All other opinions wont mean anything to me... in my mind the above points are factual and if ever required to prove them out I could by simply watching through the replays.

I am and always will be disappointed with what happened.

Good luck to the boys next year!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker: Canberra Raiders won't suffer grand final hangover

Jarrod Croker says the Raiders won't let the pain of grand final defeat linger once they start preparations for 2020.

"We have to work hard and focus on what we do and try to do it a little bit better. Because at the end of the day it wasn't good enough this year - it got us to the grand final but it didn't get us a win.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/23/cro ... -hangover/
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2019, 2:48 pm Jarrod Croker: Canberra Raiders won't suffer grand final hangover

Jarrod Croker says the Raiders won't let the pain of grand final defeat linger once they start preparations for 2020.

"We have to work hard and focus on what we do and try to do it a little bit better. Because at the end of the day it wasn't good enough this year - it got us to the grand final but it didn't get us a win.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/23/cro ... -hangover/
Geez that guy interviewing Croker makes us look like we don't know anything about NRL and rugby.

You could of at least studied before that interview
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

benda wrote: October 23, 2019, 12:10 pm 2.5 weeks has passed.. and i'd like to think emotion has turned into objective thinking in my mind.

- Yes, "Raiders couldn't break the line after all the possession" and soo what?! holding the ball and putting constant pressure is part of the game. Just because a team doesn't break the line after however minutes of pressure doesn't actually mean anything. We earn't the ball and deserved to hold or play a proper last tackle option.

- having watched a lot of replays of the controversial call from the bomb, there is no way anyone can conclusively say that it didn't come off Tedesco - either initially or at some point. So I think the initial call was probably correct and I think any neutral league supporter would agree with the initial 6 again call. The point I'm wanting to emphasis here is I disagree with the post match assessment the final "call was correct".

- Our defense was not set-up after the '6 again' stuff up, which enabled them to do what they did and score a "run away" try. I think more time was needed to examine the situation and at least provide a forum to discuss what had happened. This would have allowed for our defense to be properly set-up.

- Raiders truly matched it with the best and probably played better than the Roosters in the GF.

All other opinions wont mean anything to me... in my mind the above points are factual and if ever required to prove them out I could by simply watching through the replays.

Agree with all that.

Anyone who can definitively say Tedesco didn't touch that ball is kidding themselves. Even after all the slow-mo replays. There is no way the call should have been changed, even if doing so was allowed under the rules.

Annesley just tried to deflect the criticism using Trump style propaganda, hoping it would just go away.

And yeah, the decision had a huge impact on the outcome of the game. We looked every chance to crack their line, and they never should have had a chance to run the ball against our disorganised defence.

It's as bad a call as it gets.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

This still shows the ball hitting the side of Simmonsons neck. The only way the ball could have ended going the direction it did, would have been to contact Tedesco at the same time, or just before.

If the ball only contacted a Raiders player it would have flown out to our left wing. Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 24, 2019, 3:19 pm
benda wrote: October 23, 2019, 12:10 pm 2.5 weeks has passed.. and i'd like to think emotion has turned into objective thinking in my mind.

Agree with all that.

Anyone who can definitively say Tedesco didn't touch that ball is kidding themselves. Even after all the slow-mo replays. There is no way the call should have been changed, even if doing so was allowed under the rules.

Annesley just tried to deflect the criticism using Trump style propaganda, hoping it would just go away.

And yeah, the decision had a huge impact on the outcome of the game. We looked every chance to crack their line, and they never should have had a chance to run the ball against our disorganised defence.

It is hard to argue with that. I suspect the NRL deliberately went silent on the issue after the night, despite the fact that new questions kept emerging about the decision and the rules and the application of the rules for many days afterwards. Those questions have still not been addressed, nor has the NRL ever admitted that the wrong call had a serious impact on the Raiders... unlike some other weeks. Clearly, they can't afford to be "wrong" in the Grand Final... yet they were, seriously wrong.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: October 24, 2019, 3:28 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 24, 2019, 3:19 pm

Agree with all that.

It is hard to argue with that. I suspect the NRL deliberately went silent on the issue after the night, despite the fact that new questions kept emerging about the decision and the rules and the application of the rules for many days afterwards. Those questions have still not been addressed, nor has the NRL ever admitted that the wrong call had a serious impact on the Raiders... unlike some other weeks. Clearly, they can't afford to be "wrong" in the Grand Final... yet they were, seriously wrong.
Yes, they clearly just want the controversy to go away and be forgotten.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The strange (to me, at least) point about the "6 again" incident is the absolute lack of mention of the role that Sutton played in the whole fiasco. He absolutely browbeat Cummins into changing his call, an action he would have absolutely known was illegal under the laws of the game.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Look. History will judge it.

I work in Singapore which seems to be a hotspot for Rorters fans- I know two. Other league fans here I know maybe count six. Two of the combined nine think the best team on the day won the GF. But split about one third each between embarrassing farce; bounce of the ball; gotta take your chances.

I'm in the bounce of the ball camp btw.

NRL will never comment on it again. Why bother.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They're going to get questions as soon as they open up the press conferences next year... about what on earth are they doing to fix the rules in those two circumstances. We know they're considering fixing the trainer situation... and they surely need to fix the rules about changing decisions in some way or other. Because they do it all the time, via the bunker and from "tips". If the wrong call is signalled, and there is a need to change... it can't simply be "play on" with the new call as it was in the Grand Final. What happened is outrageous.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Still a **** disgrace.
This place is woke.
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

The NRL will get away with it, the farce that occurred will be quickly forgotten. In fact, it already has..for anyone who doesn't follow the raiders
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

greeneyed wrote: October 24, 2019, 8:51 pm They're going to get questions as soon as they open up the press conferences next year... about what on earth are they doing to fix the rules in those two circumstances. We know they're considering fixing the trainer situation... and they surely need to fix the rules about changing decisions in some way or other. Because they do it all the time, via the bunker and from "tips". If the wrong call is signalled, and there is a need to change... it can't simply be "play on" with the new call as it was in the Grand Final. What happened is outrageous.

They needed to stop play and have the bunker review it since there was a change of call. There was enough evidence to suggest the initial call was correct. I’m not upset by the fact the call may have been a mistake, I’m upset that they changed the call. Which was a **** up.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

BadnMean wrote: October 24, 2019, 8:44 pm Look. History will judge it.

I work in Singapore which seems to be a hotspot for Rorters fans- I know two. Other league fans here I know maybe count six. Two of the combined nine think the best team on the day won the GF. But split about one third each between embarrassing farce; bounce of the ball; gotta take your chances.

I'm in the bounce of the ball camp btw.

NRL will never comment on it again. Why bother.
Re: people that are suggesting the “better team” on the day won the game, I’d suggest they probably don’t understand footy. And probably best placed to not comment to any passionate raiders supporter.

They scored the first try with repeat sets that they were extremely fortunate to have in the first place (hitting the trainer). Trainer wasn’t there we probably score. As for the second try... well.

We dominated possession and terms for 60 minutes of the game. Anyway, I could go on and on...

I sleep well at night knowing we deserved to win the game and that 6 again call robbed it from us.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders on right path despite grand final loss, says Ricky Stuart

Ricky Stuart is still hurting from the Canberra Raiders’ controversial grand final loss to the Sydney Roosters and has called on the NRL to fix its refereeing mess. Stuart is not at all dirty on referee Ben Cummins but is critical of the NRL and wants an overhaul.

“I honestly felt sorry for Ben Cummins,” he said. “He didn’t go out there to make an error. It’s the process and structure around our referees that’s wrong. We need to have more faith and trust in the head referee. There is too much technology interfering with them and the decision-making process.

Read more: www.bit.ly/2WpXPJ5
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'It still hurts': Canberra Raiders star Sia Soliola turns grand final heartbreak into motivation

It still hurts but we've got to move forward. That was the resounding message from Sia Soliola, who has vowed to turn grand final heart break into motivation for the Green Machine's 2020 campaign.

"It still hurts but we're going to use it as a big drive for next year," Soliola said. "It's really going to spur us on for something bigger and better I believe.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I really don't like Ben Cummins as a referee. In the past he has been completely disrespectful of our team on the field, and in the way he speaks to our captain. At times he honestly seems biased against us, like no other ref...although that is subsiding IMO.

However, I certainly don't think he went out to purposely screw us over with that call. He clearly got caught up in the moment and probably had the pocket ref screaming at him to change the decision. I am pissed off that he denied the situation - but that just made him look like a twat.

Stuart has shown a lot of class in this situation. Blaming Cummins does nothing to fix the underlying issues, nor does it change the result of the game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Look away Canberra Raiders fans, NRL admits the Roosters were robbed – three times

On the Wednesday after the 2019 Grand Final, Roosters coach Trent Robinson hit referees boss Bernard Sutton with a list of half a dozen incidents in the game that he felt the referees got wrong.

There were three key admissions from the NRL that show the Roosters also got the rough end of the stick. First, Sutton admitted Cooper Cronk's sin binning was "harsh", a six again call before the Raiders only try was "wrong", and the Roosters should have received a penalty when Sia Soliola charged down Luke Keary, which led to #Trainergate.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rooste ... 536vg.html

Best Raiders photos of 2019: http://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/03/best ... s-of-2019/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So where is the official statement from the Graham Annesley which "admits" these things? Sounds like this has been "leaked" by the Roosters in an attempt to re-write history.

Even if Sutton has said these things, and in the way reported, I am certain the first and third claim is wrong... and I'd want to look at the second again.

Not to mention the fact that Annesley's pronouncement that the referees were right to reverse #SixAgain was also wrong.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

That's just sad from Robbo :lol:

It's the sort of thing I would expect to see on a forum from a salty fan, not from a first grade coach.
Last edited by edwahu on November 3, 2019, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roosters are carrying a lot of angst about the public reaction to their win. Quite indignant that the general rugby league community are not embracing it. This is a PR exercise attempting to reverse it. Won't work.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Rooters robbed..

Deserved winners then !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I have seen it reported that the third incident is about Sia taking out the legs of the kicker, Keary, while he was in the aiir
BJ
Steve Walters

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BJ »

1. When did a successful charge down suddenly become taking out the kickers legs? This interpretation will remove chargedowns from the game. Once the charge down has been successfully affected the Raiders are the attacking team who last possessed of the ball. If the ball had gone into touch would the Raiders deemed not to be the last team who touched it? So now players can’t successfully make a play at the ball? This is outrageous.

2. If the refs boss thinks Cronk ‘didn’t tackle Papalli early’ and just metres out from the line it just makes the Refs look more dodgy in thinking they were thinking the Roosters need to get the close decisions.

It’s reports like this that makes the new NRL boss look more correct about his call on fixing the referees. Annesley has tied himself in knots trying to claim the 6 again call wasn’t wrong “when the rules say in black and white” it was wrong.

Last edited by BJ on November 3, 2019, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How can you complain about a wrong decision (which actually is probably the right decision), which then got overturned for you so there was no adverse impact?!

What planet is this guy on?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is not a single quote in that story from Weidler. It is clear it has come from the Roosters. But not a single quote from Trent Robinson or Bernard Sutton, the people who had the conversation. So why not? If the NRL actually had decided this, wouldn't Graham Annesley have made a statement to this effect? But nothing.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

And now I'm angry again. This is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen.... **** them and horses they rode in on.
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2019, 6:32 pm There is not a single quote in that story from Weidler. It is clear it has come from the Roosters. But not a single quote from Trent Robinson or Bernard Sutton, the people who had the conversation. So why not? If the NRL actually had decided this, wouldn't Graham Annesley have made a statement to this effect? But nothing.
Exactly. Attempted PR piece from the Roosters trying to convince the public they’re deserved winners. If they were comfortable in their position as premiers this wouldn’t be necessary.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It'd be **** great if you could all just **** off and let this thread die, so i can forget all about that **** game.

Thanks in advanced.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: November 4, 2019, 10:18 am It'd be **** great if you could all just **** off and let this thread die, so i can forget all about that **** game.

Thanks in advanced.
Probably would have before that Roosters PR piece was published.

Must say it's a somewhat ironic call given your almost legendary status of stringing out gameday threads this year. :)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha this is great... the Roosters and Robinson trolling Fergus and the salty gang from beyond the grave.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

Northern Raider wrote: November 3, 2019, 1:29 pm Roosters are carrying a lot of angst about the public reaction to their win. Quite indignant that the general rugby league community are not embracing it. This is a PR exercise attempting to reverse it. Won't work.
Yep, seems like a desperate attempt to try and legitimise the Roosters GF win which the majority of the non-Roosters rugby league community felt was at best fortuitous if not undeserved. All the Roosters had to do was acknowledge that they were lucky to win, after all it wasn't their fault, and there would have been very minimal public and media backlash on them, as the spotlight and scrutiny would be entirely on the referee and the NRL. To try and play the victim card and argue that they were robbed just screams insecurity. Trent Robinson is a twat if he really did "hit Sutton with a list of half a dozen incidents in the game that he felt the referees got wrong" 3 days after the GF.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: November 4, 2019, 12:12 pm Hahaha this is great... the Roosters and Robinson trolling Fergus and the salty gang from beyond the grave.
It's actually surprising how much salt being carried by the Roosters in victory.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:It'd be **** great if you could all just **** off and let this thread die, so i can forget all about that **** game.

Thanks in advanced.
Can you only imagine how many Greenhouse posters have thought the same about your threads?????? Image