Don Furner

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters
Sunday 6 October, 7:30pm
Stadium Australia, Sydney Olympic Park
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine (all matches), Fox League Channel 502 (NRL State Championship and NRLW)
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Cloud clearing. Morning cloud clearing to a mostly sunny afternoon. Light winds becoming north to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the morning, increasing to 20 to 30 km/h near the coast in the afternoon. Sun protection recommended from 9:30 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]. Chance of any rain: 10 per cent. Min 13 Max 26

Finals Week 3 2019. Canberra Raiders 16 - South Sydney Rabbitohs 10. After a wait of 25 years, the Canberra Raiders will once again play in a Grand Final. It has been a long wait for the club, the fans, the city. The Preliminary Final was not a pretty game. But it was a match that the Canberra Raiders simply refused to lose. The defence was extraordinary.

In the second half, it repeatedly seemed that the Rabbitohs would crack the game open. And then with 10 minutes remaining, the Raiders leading 10-6, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was sent to the sin bin. Most Raiders fans feared the worst. But it proved to be a turning point for the Raiders. The 12 men lifted - and when Josh Papalii scored under the posts, the Raiders had locked up a Grand Final berth.

More on Finals Week 3: As I saw it

The Raiders now face the Sydney Roosters - who qualified for the premiership decider by defeating the Melbourne Storm 14-6 in the second Preliminary Final.

Team changes: The Canberra Raiders have named an unchanged line up from the team that defeated the Rabbitohs in the Preliminary Final. Joey Leilua (calf) is back to training and is expected to be fit for the Grand Final.

For the Roosters, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves returns after a one week suspension, with Siosiua Taukeiaho moving to the bench. Jake Friend has been named on the reserves list, and will be given every opportunity to return from injury.

Late changes: Sam Williams and Sebastian Kris dropped out of the Canberra Raiders squad on Saturday night, with Ryan Sutton and Siliva Havili remaining on the extended bench. The Roosters cut Lindsay Collins and Drew Hutchison, leaving Jake Friend and Ryan Hall as the two remaining reserves.

Milestones: Sia Soliola will play his 200th NRL game and Joe Tapine will play his 100th NRL game on Sunday.

History: The Raiders have won 28 of 63 matches against the Sydney Roosters. The Raiders have endured some long losing streaks against the Roosters since the turn of the century. But Canberra has won five of the past 10 matches, and three of the past five.

The Raiders won 21-20 in Round 2 of 2016 and 24-16 in Round 12 of 2017, with both matches played at Canberra Stadium. They followed that up at home in Round 23 last year, beating the ultimate premiers, 14-12. The Roosters scored two tries to one, but Sam Williams kicked five goals, in one of Canberra's most impressive performances of 2018. However, the Roosters won both matches played earlier in 2019. They won 30-24 at Lang Park during Magic Round, after going to a 30-6 lead early in the second half. The Raiders' subsequent comeback fell short. Then in Round 21, Canberra suffered a narrow, 22-18, loss to the Roosters at Canberra Stadium - with the Raiders' comeback again just falling short. The Raiders have never played the Roosters at Stadium Australia.

2019 Round 21 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

2019 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

2018 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

Form: Raiders: LWLWW
Roosters: WWLWW

The Roosters have lost just once in their past five matches - to the Rabbitohs (16-10). However, the Roosters rested players in that game, and blew the Rabbitohs off the park (30-6) in the first week of the finals. They have had other recent wins over the Dragons (34-12), Panthers (22-6) and, of course, the Storm.

The Raiders had a tough run into the finals, mostly against top eight opposition. Up until the finals, they had not won back to back since their four game winning streak, between Rounds 17-20. However, they've despatched the Storm (12-10) and the Rabbitohs in consecutive matches during the finals.

Betting: The Roosters are raging hot favourites, paying $1.38, while the Raiders sit at $3.15. The Raiders have a very big 7.5 points start in the line betting. The Roosters odds have firmed slightly over the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between second (Roosters) and fourth (Raiders) on the ladder.

The Roosters have the best attack in the competition. They rank first for total points and tries scored, first for average running metres, try assists, linebreaks, and line break assists - and second for kick return metres.

The two teams boast the top two point scorers in the competition - with the Roosters' back Latrell Mitchell on 267 points so far this season, and Jarrod Croker on 224. But the Roosters have more more attacking strike players.

Mitchell is equal second for most tries in the competition (19) and sixth for line break assists. Roosters' fullback James Tedesco is equal first for line breaks (23) and first for tackle breaks (113) - and ranks second for average running metres and second for total kick return metres. Roosters' five eighth Luke Keary ranks second for try assists and first for line break assists. That is just the start of the Roosters' danger men in attack. Thinking Cooper Cronk anyone?

The Raiders, of course, have their own strike players, with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad leading the league for kick return metres and ranking fourth for total running metres. At hooker, Josh Hodgson ranks fourth for dummy half running. But there is little doubt the Roosters have the advantage in attack - while the Raiders have not really been firing on all cylinders with the ball in hand.

The Roosters also have a slightly better defensive record than the Raiders. Canberra has conceded 15 points per game - but the Roosters have been a little better, conceding just 14 per game. The Raiders have the slightly better effective tackle rate (89 per cent, compared with 88 per cent for the Roosters). No team has made fewer ineffective tackles than the Raiders on average, while the Roosters rank second for most ineffective tackles.

The Raiders spent much of the season amongst the leading teams for kicks and kicking metres - but they dropped down those rankings towards the end of the season. There's not much difference between the two teams on this score. But in any case, the Raiders will need to find grass or the touchline in this game - and keep the ball out of the hands of the Roosters' dangerous back five as much as possible. Watch for 40/20s. The Roosters have five and the Raiders four. The game might also come down to a field goal. It is a plus that the Raiders have six and Aidan Sezer four.

An area where the Raiders might have an advantage is possession and completions. Canberra ranks just behind the benchmark teams on both, while the Roosters rank 10th for possession share and 14th for completions. The Roosters' expansive attack comes with more errors. They have the second highest error count in the competition and produce the most handling errors.

Season record: Raiders 17 and 9 (finished 4th, +158)
Roosters 19 and 7 (finished 2nd, +296)

Away records: Raiders 11 of 14 away
Roosters 8 of 12 away

Against top eight opposition: Raiders have won 7 of 14
Roosters have won 9 of 13

Attack: Raiders 21 points and 3.6 tries scored per match, ranked 4th (6th tries scored)
Roosters 26 points and 4.5 tries scored per match, ranked 1st (1st tries scored)

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 2.6 tries conceded per match, ranked 3rd
Roosters 14 points and 2.3 tries conceded per match, ranked 2nd

Possession: Raiders 51 per cent, Roosters 50 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 79 per cent, Roosters 75 per cent

Running: Raiders 1589 running metres from 176 runs (17 dummy half runs), 185 kick return metres, 472 post contact metres per match
Roosters 1669 running metres from 175 runs (9 dummy half runs), 206 kick return metres, 469 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 33, Roosters 33

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Roosters 5 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Roosters 4 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Roosters 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 9, Roosters 8 per match

Kicking: Raiders 565 kicking metres from 21 kicks per match
Roosters 537 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 327 made, 30 missed, 13 ineffective per match
Roosters 333 made, 28 missed, 18 ineffective per match

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1369, Roosters 1375 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Roosters 12 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Roosters 7 per match

Our tip: The statistical indicators suggest the Roosters are deserved favourites, but not by much. The Roosters are oozing Grand Final experience - after all, they are going for back to back premierships. But Canberra has a good number of players with a mix of experience at international and Origin level... plus some experience in English Super League Grand Finals. And I suspect that the Raiders might just relish having the clear underdog status - and the likely support of the crowd.

The Raiders won't be able to afford a slow start against the Roosters. It is tough work coming back against them - as the two losses earlier in the year demonstrated. However, in the end, the difference between the teams in those games was only four to six points.

I believe that Canberra has the game plan - and in particular, the defence - that can frustrate the Roosters, force them into error and put them off their game. For Canberra to win, the forwards will need to get on top of their opponents in the middle. The Raiders will need good line speed, good work in the rucks, and good, patient defensive decisions on the edges. The Raiders' kickers will need to pin the Roosters at their own end - and out of the hands of the Roosters' danger men. They did it perfectly last year in their victory in Canberra. I think they can do it again - and bring home that long awaited premiership. If they do, Canberra might just explode. Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Elliott Whitehead: "It's going to be a tough game, we know that. We go in there with plenty of confidence and a great game plan. Hopefully we can stick to that and find the win. It's going to be a tough battle in the middle. We need to be a little bit better than we were against the Rabbitohs. It's just a matter of cleaning up a few small things."

John Bateman: "These boys know what it's all about. There's players in here like the likes of Elliott [Whitehead], [Josh Hodgson], we know what it's about as a team. We've got coaches that have been there and done it so we'll have a little bit of a say, but when we get into it we all know what to do and we're going into it very confident."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joseph Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Iosia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui

19. Ryan Sutton
20. Siliva Havili

Sydney Roosters

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris
6. Luke Keary
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Sam Verrills
10. Isaac Liu
11. Boyd Cordner (c)
12. Mitchell Aubusson
13. Victor Radley

14. Angus Crichton
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Nat Butcher
17. Siosiua Taukeiaho

20. Jake Friend (c)
21. Ryan Hall

Officials

Lead Referee: Ben Cummins
Assist Referee: Gerard Sutton
Senior Review Official: Jared Maxwell
Review Official: Ben Galea
Touch judges: Chris Butler and Nick Beashel
Standby Referee: Grant Atkins
Standby Touch judge: David Munro

Match Hashtags: #NRL #NRLGF #WeAreRaiders

Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Grand Final week program

NRL Fan Fest
Martin Place, Sydney
Wednesday October 2 to Friday October 4, 8am to 6pm

Includes NRL player appearances from all 16 clubs, league stars skills clinic showcases, NBA legend Paul Pierce v Johnathan Thurston skills competition, merch and ticket giveaways. The Canberra Raiders will appear along with the Sydney Roosters at 12:30pm on Thursday.

Grand Final Day
Stadium Australia, Sydney Olympic Park
Sunday, October 6

12:00pm: The area around Stadium Australia, known as the Precinct, will be transformed into a family-friendly zone featuring merchandise outlets, food stalls, skills station and mascots. The Grand Final Precinct will be free to everyone visiting Sydney Olympic Park on Grand Final Day.

1:15pm: Gates open

1:35pm: NRL State Championship Grand Final: Burleigh Bears V Newtown Jets

Burleigh Bears: 1. Kurtis Rowe 2. Tyrone Roberts-Davis 3. Sami Sauiluma 4. Joshua Berkers 5. Anthony Don 6. Dylan Phythian 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Luke Page 9. Pat Politoni 10. Jack Buchanan 11. Hayden Schwass 12. Blake Leary 13. Sam Coster 14. Matt Robinson 15. Joshua Rogers 16. Oliver Percy 17. Apiata Noema-matenga 18. Jeff Lynch 19. Josh Ailaomai

Newtown Jets: 1. Will Kennedy 2. Sione Katoa 3. Aaron Gray 4. Ronaldo Mulitalo 5. Tyrone Phillips 6. Jack Williams 7. Braydon Trindall 8. Toby Rudolf 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Jaimin Jolliffe 11. Scott Sorensen 12. Jayson Bukuya 13. Billy Magoulias 14. Teig Wilton 16. Siosifa Talakai 19. Matt Evans 23. Daniel Vasquez 15. Jackson Ferris 18. Luke Poiselli 20. Grant Garvey 21. Wesley Lolo

Officials:
Referees: Todd Smith, Tyson Brough
Touch judges: Ben Teague, Jacob Whitehouse
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Ben Lowe

4:05pm: NRL Women’s Premiership Grand Final: Brisbane Broncos V St George Illawarra Dragons

Broncos: 1. Chelsea Baker 2. Julia Robinson 3. Amy Turner 4. Amber Pilley 5. Meg Ward 6. Raecene McGregor 7. Ali Brigginshaw 8. Millie Boyle 9. Lavinia Gould 10. Amber Hall 11. Annette Brander 12. Tazmin Gray 13. Rona Peters 14. Tarryn Aiken 15. Steph Hancock 16. Mariah Storch 17. Chelsea Lenarduzzi 18. Tamika Upton 19. Taylor Mapusua 20. Heather Ballinger 21. Rosemary Vaimili Toalepai

Dragons: 1. Botille Vette-Welsh 2. Rikeya Horne 3. Jessica Sergis 4. Tiana Penitani 5. Shakiah Tungai 6. Keeley Davis 7. Maddie Studdon 8. Ngatokotoru Arakua 9. Brittany Breayley 10. Maitua Feterika 11. Kezie Apps 12. Shaylee Bent 13. Holli Wheeler 14. Aaliayah Fasavalu-Faamausili 15. Takilele Katoa 16. Maddison Weatherall 17. Najvada George 18. Sarah Togatuki 19. Stephanie Mooka 20. Lexi Kiriwi

Officials:
Referees: Kasey Badger, Daniel Schwass
Touch judges: Jordan Morel, Karra-lee Nolan
Video referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

6:30pm: Retiring and departing players class of 2019 paid tribute on field, pre-match show featuring OneRepublic and Thandi Phoenix.

Daryl Braithwaite will perform "Horses" at halftime of the NRL Grand Final, while Christine Anu will perform at halftime of the NRL Women’s Grand Final.

Mal Meninga to blow the Viking Horn, and lead the Viking Clap.

Natalie Bassingthwaighte will perform the Australian National Anthem.

7:30pm: 2019 Grand Final: Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

Go you raiders!!!
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

No matter what the result, win or lose, a big part of me will be sad on sunday. I'll tell you why. Dad introduced me to the game of rugby league in 1994 at 8 years of age. He tried to convert me to his team the bulldogs, however much to his disappointment I fell in love with the raiders. Stuart, Meninga, Daley etc.... I was very impressed with what I saw. Little did I know I would suffer through 25 years.... a quarter of a century of mediocrity.
As some of you may be aware I lost my father to pancreatic cancer at just 62 years of age last year. In those 25 years we bonded at several games. We were there when we put 74 on the panthers, we were there when the storm put 68 on us..... we were there in the snow against the tigers and we were there in 36 degree heat against the doggies. However, it was always the dream that we would attend another raiders grand final live at the ground.... taking in the atmosphere of 80k raiders fans screaming as our team song was played....
I dont know why the timing of all this occurred, but when something like this happens it restores my faith knowing that dads spirit is still looking over me and a another loving gesture he granted my wish of the mighty raiders making another grandfinal in my lifetime.... now all we have to do is WIN, and we are a great chance of that :cmon
My brother said it so well the other day when he said we are no longer mental midgets, and the days of the wacky raiders are over. GO THE GREEN MACHINE!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Lucky wrote: September 30, 2019, 4:14 pm No matter what the result, win or lose, a big part of me will be sad on sunday. I'll tell you why. Dad introduced me to the game of rugby league in 1994 at 8 years of age. He tried to convert me to his team the bulldogs, however much to his disappointment I fell in love with the raiders. Stuart, Meninga, Daley etc.... I was very impressed with what I saw. Little did I know I would suffer through 25 years.... a quarter of a century of mediocrity.
As some of you may be aware I lost my father to pancreatic cancer at just 62 years of age last year. In those 25 years we bonded at several games. We were there when we put 74 on the panthers, we were there when the storm put 68 on us..... we were there in the snow against the tigers and we were there in 36 degree heat against the doggies. However, it was always the dream that we would attend another raiders grand final live at the ground.... taking in the atmosphere of 80k raiders fans screaming as our team song was played....
I dont know why the timing of all this occurred, but when something like this happens it restores my faith knowing that dads spirit is still looking over me and a another loving gesture he granted my wish of the mighty raiders making another grandfinal in my lifetime.... now all we have to do is WIN, and we are a great chance of that :cmon
My brother said it so well the other day when he said we are no longer mental midgets, and the days of the wacky raiders are over. GO THE GREEN MACHINE!
Nice post Lucky. No doubt your father will be there with you in your heart and mind. Hope you’re not sad for too long and the boys give you something to celebrate!
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

Billy Walker wrote: September 30, 2019, 4:23 pm
Lucky wrote: September 30, 2019, 4:14 pm No matter what the result, win or lose, a big part of me will be sad on sunday. I'll tell you why. Dad introduced me to the game of rugby league in 1994 at 8 years of age. He tried to convert me to his team the bulldogs, however much to his disappointment I fell in love with the raiders. Stuart, Meninga, Daley etc.... I was very impressed with what I saw. Little did I know I would suffer through 25 years.... a quarter of a century of mediocrity.
Nice post Lucky. No doubt your father will be there with you in your heart and mind. Hope you’re not sad for too long and the boys give you something to celebrate!
Cheers my fellow raider brother. I have no doubt the raiders will put in a strong effort for us all :D
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote: September 30, 2019, 3:49 pm Daryl Braithwaite will perform "Horses" at halftime
For those unsure of what he is planning on playing...
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Great post Lucky.

So many bonds are fostered through sports mate.

My dad went to the ‘89 GF, and I’m lucky enough to be sitting next to him on Sunday.

Enjoy the day mate :thumbsup
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

Coastalraider wrote: September 30, 2019, 6:07 pm
Great post Lucky.

So many bonds are fostered through sports mate.

My dad went to the ‘89 GF, and I’m lucky enough to be sitting next to him on Sunday.

Enjoy the day mate :thumbsup
Cheers mate. I'll be wearing my lucky raiders cap thats for sure :)
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Great post, Lucky.

Seeing the photo of Croker and Campese after the Souths game made me think about all of the old boys the guys will be playing for who gave everything to the Raiders and didn’t get a chance to even play in a preliminary final, let alone a Grand Final. Players like Josh Miller, Alan Tongue, and Campese himself. Even coaches like David Furner, who, while his wife battled cancer, bled green for the club. The guys are not only representing themselves and the long suffering fans, but a long line of players and coaches who gave a lot to the club in a long period of mediocrity.
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

TongueFTW wrote: September 30, 2019, 8:41 pm Great post, Lucky.

Seeing the photo of Croker and Campese after the Souths game made me think about all of the old boys the guys will be playing for who gave everything to the Raiders and didn’t get a chance to even play in a preliminary final, let alone a Grand Final. Players like Josh Miller, Alan Tongue, and Campese himself. Even coaches like David Furner, who, while his wife battled cancer, bled green for the club. The guys are not only representing themselves and the long suffering fans, but a long line of players and coaches who gave a lot to the club in a long period of mediocrity.
Well said. We owe it to the whole raiders family past and present to deliver them a gf victory :cmon
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Cheers for the story mate! I don’t want to continue the ‘drama’ story but here it is...

I was born in 86. Dad was a DIE HARD Balmain supporter. We had 4 boys in tang year, 8, 5, 3 (me) and 1. Mum was 32. Unfortunately my dad passed away in a car accident suddenly. He didn’t make it to the 89 grand final. And lo and behold it was raiders v balmain.

In 93-94, as a little wipper snapper, I had rugby league in my veins. But I was always my own man. And decided as a 6 year old-ish to support the north Sydney bears. Went through the 94 agony of leading 7-6 at half time in the prelim. Bro no 2 and 4 chose the raiders. And won. Supported the bears all the way to 99. Became disillusioned in 99 when kicked out. Lost my ‘love’ for the game - not really, it was in my blood. Just no team.

In 2009 when I was living (and working with my older bro, who was tigers through and through) the first game of the season was raiders and tigers. You would’ve thought I chose to support tigers, but in my heart of hearts, raiders had me. My 2nd oldest bro (who had suffered his own mental illnesses) had supported the raiders from day dot, and I ‘chose’ him. And in my view, destiny followed.

We didn’t win until round 5, so no bandwagon. But we had the 2018 inaugural under 20’s with Dugan and Croker etc. so there was a buzz. And within 80 mins I had found my new love and team, bled green and should’ve been put in a straight jacket ever since. Game day is next level.

But here I am, 30 years after my dad passed and supporting the opposition (no no 🙄) in a year that I’m SURE my dad would be clapping too. As my older bro will be.

Couldn’t have written it better ❤️ Go you good things!!!
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

Green Machine 2011 wrote: September 30, 2019, 9:41 pm
Cheers for the story mate! I don’t want to continue the ‘drama’ story but here it is...

I was born in 86. Dad was a DIE HARD Balmain supporter. We had 4 boys in tang year, 8, 5, 3 (me) and 1. Mum was 32. Unfortunately my dad passed away in a car accident suddenly. He didn’t make it to the 89 grand final. And lo and behold it was raiders v balmain.

In 93-94, as a little wipper snapper, I had rugby league in my veins. But I was always my own man. And decided as a 6 year old-ish to support the north Sydney bears. Went through the 94 agony of leading 7-6 at half time in the prelim. Bro no 2 and 4 chose the raiders. And won. Supported the bears all the way to 99. Became disillusioned in 99 when kicked out. Lost my ‘love’ for the game - not really, it was in my blood. Just no team.

In 2009 when I was living (and working with my older bro, who was tigers through and through) the first game of the season was raiders and tigers. You would’ve thought I chose to support tigers, but in my heart of hearts, raiders had me. My 2nd oldest bro (who had suffered his own mental illnesses) had supported the raiders from day dot, and I ‘chose’ him. And in my view, destiny followed.

We didn’t win until round 5, so no bandwagon. But we had the 2018 inaugural under 20’s with Dugan and Croker etc. so there was a buzz. And within 80 mins I had found my new love and team, bled green and should’ve been put in a straight jacket ever since. Game day is next level.

But here I am, 30 years after my dad passed and supporting the opposition (no no 🙄) in a year that I’m SURE my dad would be clapping too. As my older bro will be.

Couldn’t have written it better ❤️ Go you good things!!!
Thanks for your story. I always had a soft spot for the bears growing up, they were everyones second favourite team. I wouldnt mind seeing them back in the comp one day, but for now.... raiders all the way!
finch
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by finch »

Thanks for sharing that, Lucky...

I'm going to be thinking of my dad too on Sunday. In 1982 I was a mad Parra fan, and since we happened to be up in Sydney at the time I managed to nag the old man into taking me to see my first ever live league game...against the Raiders at Belmore. I can't remember the exact moment during that absolute hiding that I decided to switch allegiances, but I clearly remember thinking that becoming a Raiders supporter was the honourable thing to do.
That year I learnt the meaning of the word "delerious" after we beat Newtown the next weekend, and I also truly bonded for the very first time with my cranky old bastard of a dad when I saw how hard he had to fight against my mum to let me sign up for the Canberra Tigers under 13s. He came with me to Seiffert for so many whippings that we copped in those first few years, and also to that playoff for 5th against Souths at the SCG in '84.

I'm sorry you lost your dad last year. My dad died from Pneumonia, Parkinson's and Lewy Body dementia in late 2006 and the first year afterwards was by far the hardest.
I'm now a 50 year old coot myself and have absolutely no idea who the hell you are, but come Sunday I'll be thinking of you and our dads when the boys run out there. Whatever happens on the scoreboard, I know they're going to put a big dent in those Bondi showponies' overblown egos and do us proud.
I'm putting money on us 13+............GO RAIDERS!!!!!

Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

finch wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:11 pm
Thanks for sharing that, Lucky...

I'm going to be thinking of my dad too on Sunday. In 1982 I was a mad Parra fan, and since we happened to be up in Sydney at the time I managed to nag the old man into taking me to see my first ever live league game...against the Raiders at Belmore. I can't remember the exact moment during that absolute hiding that I decided to switch allegiances, but I clearly remember thinking that becoming a Raiders supporter was the honourable thing to do.
That year I learnt the meaning of the word "delerious" after we beat Newtown the next weekend, and I also truly bonded for the very first time with my cranky old bastard of a dad when I saw how hard he had to fight against my mum to let me sign up for the Canberra Tigers under 13s. He came with me to Seiffert for so many whippings that we copped in those first few years, and also to that playoff for 5th against Souths at the SCG in '84.

I'm sorry you lost your dad last year. My dad died from Pneumonia, Parkinson's and Lewy Body dementia in late 2006 and the first year afterwards was by far the hardest.
I'm now a 50 year old coot myself and have absolutely no idea who the hell you are, but come Sunday I'll be thinking of you and our dads when the boys run out there. Whatever happens on the scoreboard, I know they're going to put a big dent in those Bondi showponies' overblown egos and do us proud.
I'm putting money on us 13+............GO RAIDERS!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your story with us too. We have a great little raiders community going here. Love the bondi showponies reference. We got this!! :cmon
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s sharing stories like this that make me proud of The Greenhouse and our community.
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

greeneyed wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:19 pm It’s sharing stories like this that make me proud of The Greenhouse and our community.
Indeed. Good ol' raiders fans. Best in the business! :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Check out The GH's Grand Final game day preview! Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters! Squads, officials, team changes, history, form, stat attack... everything you need to know! 📚 and 📺 more here: http://ow.ly/qsMP50wxRKn

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Burleigh Bears: 1. Kurtis Rowe 2. Tyrone Roberts-Davis 3. Sami Sauiluma 4. Joshua Berkers 5. Anthony Don 6. Dylan Phythian 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Luke PAGE 9. Pat Politoni 10. Jack Buchanan 11. Hayden Schwass 12. Blake Leary 13. Sam Coster 14. Matt Robinson 15. Joshua Rogers 16. Oliver Percy 17. Apiata Noema-matenga 18. Jeff Lynch 19. Josh Ailaomai
Get on board the Burleigh Bears express all you Raiders fans!
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

Give us the Fairytale we deserve!

Call me a stalker but I was at Leichhardt Oval and watched them run looked relaxed even in this heat,then went to Martin place to catch a glimpse get some photos again looked relaxed.

We have been given next to no chance of winning this game(just like 89) so go out there and play footy and the team who wants it more is going to get it.

We may not get this opportunity again for a very long time please bring it home,I was 12 when I last seen the raiders win if we win I would be comfortable with knowing I’m good to go...........
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Awesome PJC01!

You stalker
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hope it cools off for game day.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT FRANK THINKS!!!

REPPY!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:I NEED TO KNOW WHAT FRANK THINKS!!!

REPPY!!!!!!

He says Raiders 100 - Roosters 0 FTS Jordy Raps. He likes the cut off his jib.

Sadly, Jet has a dislocated patella, so he's out Limping about the lounge room horribly.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

reptar wrote: October 3, 2019, 9:26 pm

REPPY!!!!!!

Sadly, Jet has a dislocated patella, so he's out Limping about the lounge room horribly.
And I like the cut of Frank's jib, his view from the lap was my favourite segment!
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:

REPPY!!!!!!

Gosh, I hope Jett is ok!

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

7 days after beating Souths and I still can't believe it.

The Canberra Raiders are playing in a grand final.

All this media coverage. It's totally spinning me out.

I turn on the tv..RAIDERS. I pick up a newspaper..RAIDERS.

We've waited a very very long time. It's like the best dream ever..well dry !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:
reptar wrote:

REPPY!!!!!!

Gosh, I hope Jett is ok!

He's okay, just limping a bit. Yuki just gave me a scare, though, she lost all coordination and was breathing heavily. On the mend now, thankfully.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bloody hell Reppy

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:
dubby wrote:
reptar wrote:

REPPY!!!!!!

Gosh, I hope Jett is ok!

He's okay, just limping a bit. Yuki just gave me a scare, though, she lost all coordination and was breathing heavily. On the mend now, thankfully.
reppotato yellow pills back in their baggy not left laying around
Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:
reptar wrote:
dubby wrote:
reptar wrote:

REPPY!!!!!!

Gosh, I hope Jett is ok!

reppotato yellow pills back in their baggy not left laying around
Yes, the vet's thought was either that, or a stroke. Stroke unlikely though, but we're careful with medication because of the cats. It did suspiciously line up with a guest staying, though. Expensive guest if they inadvertently left something out, cost a fortune to get checked out. And he of course said he didn't, but I'm not so sure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Sam Williams and Sebastian Kris omitted from Canberra Raiders Grand Final squad to face Sydney Roosters. Latest squads, weather, odds: http://ow.ly/UnyY50wCH4H

#NRLGF #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Up The Milk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Living in NZ I can confirm game day is here and there are no early signs of the apocalypse.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki

Post by Zip Zip »

I wrote my ‘Raiders memoir’ a few nights ago and I’ve been pretty emotional tonight, so I thought I’d share it here.

It’s long, but I hope you enjoy the read.

My Raiders life:
I’ve been reading a few Raiders memoirs lately and wanted to put my experience into words. I wanted to somehow try and explain just what this club means to me.

So where to start?

Well, the start, I guess. I was born in Scotland and my grandparents and my mum packed up and moved the four of us to Australia - Canberra specifically. When did we arrive? September 1989.

There was something big happening in Canberra around that time.

My mum was a passionate woman. She took to the Raiders in those early days and was instrumental in me becoming a fan of the team. She’d take me to games and buy me all the gear. When I was about 8, she even hand made a Raiders doona cover, a true one of a kind and a prized possession (I’ve still got it). Every time the Raiders were in the grand final, she’d decorate the house, invite everyone over and we’d have an amazing time.

They’re my earliest memories of the Raiders. It was easy to love them back then. When you’re 8, as I was in 1994, you think it’ll always be like this!

Thanks to mum, I became somewhat of a super fan. While she did take me to as many games as she could, I wanted more and as soon as I had my first job, I bought a season ticket and have been a member ever since.

My whole weekend revolved around the Raiders. I’d never miss a home game, I’d get involved in Raiders Army away trips and have a blast. I met some great people along the way too. The Raiders even got a mention in my wedding speech. The exact line was ‘this was the best day of my life and the only thing I can see surpassing it is the Raiders winning the Grand Final’. It got a good laugh. Hopefully I get to find out whether it’s true.

There were lots of good times – road trips to Sydney and Wollongong as part of the Raiders Army were real highlights – but for some reason the bad memories are more prevalent. I have a permanently seared memory of sitting in the driving rain and watching Benji put on a clinic in a 40-0 drubbing. There was the infamous Round 13, 2011, when we led 24-0 over a hapless Cowboys side. Terry Campese was returning and everything was looking up. By full time Dugan and Campese had limped off the field and the Raiders had succumbed to a 40-24 loss. Oh and I can’t forget the Orford game.

There were weeks where the crowd would go up on the scoreboard: 6500. I’d look around and think ‘ha, have they counted everyone twice?’ Even in a great year in 2003 when we finished fourth there was a paltry 14,000 people at Bruce for a 4th vs 5th final! Quite the contrast to last Friday night.

But throughout the years, it didn’t matter how bad we were, it didn’t matter how small the crowds were, it didn’t matter what else I had on, I’d always turn up and cheer the boys on. They really do mean so much to me.

Now, despite everything that’s happened, all the off-field rubbish with idiot players, all the on-field rubbish with idiot players, all the frustration, here we are. It’s all led to this. The Canberra Raiders are about to play in the NRL Grand Final. Just typing that, even six days after we made it, is still surreal.

My Raiders story wouldn’t d be complete without remembering how it brought me and me now best mate close together. I remember chatting to a guy I had known for a long time, but didn’t know much about. We were in year 10 and were discussing our interests when the Raiders came up. Well, I loved the Raiders and evidently, Adrian did too. We went to the final home game of the 2002 season (a win against the Storm) and a bond was formed that would be unbreakable. We realised we had far more in common than we thought and from that moment on, we were brothers.

The Raiders have taken us on one hell of a journey. It hasn’t all been good, but the friendship we formed walking up and down the hill between the CIT and Bruce Stadium is more important than any 28-10 loss in -2 degrees in front of a crowd of 6838.

The Crabs get an honourable mention, too. The Raiders brought us together. Changed my life - for better or worse I’m not sure - but I love them all.

My grandparents and mum have all since passed on, the dreaded C got them all within five years of each other. Even through those personal tragedies, the one constant was the Canberra Raiders. For two hours a week, I could forget everything going on in life and cheer on the boys.

I’m now trying to pass on my love for the Raiders to my daughter, Olivia. She’s two tomorrow [yesterday] and already says ‘Go Raiders!’

(We get a daily update from her day care and during the week they reported that Olivia was ‘teaching the other children the Viking clap’! Well, wasn’t that just the proudest moment of my life!)

I don’t think I’d be alone here, but there have been times over the past two decades that I never thought I’d live to see the Raiders in another grand final. It never seemed possible. For the longest time, it was all that I ever wanted. I openly said, I didn’t care for winning, I just wanted that GF experience.

Well, we got it – and it’s amazing. What a week it’s been, I’m absolutely buzzing.

But the closer we get, the more I want to win the whole thing. A victory Viking clap while Jarrod hoists the trophy? YES PLEASE.

But whatever happens, this has been the ride of our lives. It’s a cliche, but it’s so true – regardless of the result, I’ll be so happy and thankful that I got to experience Grand Final week. It’s what I’ve always wanted. It sounds dramatic, but I almost feel like my whole life has led to this. I wish mum was here to enjoy it, but I’ll be thinking about her, for sure. I love this club, I love this city. I cannot wait for Grand Final Day.

Come on lads. Go the Raiders.
Last edited by Zip Zip on October 5, 2019, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Damn. That was good. Amazing.