10%
Roosters 13+
7%

Total votes: 29

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

I agree that the NRL should have said that the wrong call was made and it disadvantaged the Raiders. They were happy to do that after the Raiders' game in Week 1 of the finals - when the Storm was blowing up. I don't think we can expect Cummins to make any public statement... but if he were a decent bloke he would be apologising to Josh Hodgson for lying to him on the field. I remain a bit unsure about whether the trainer was entitled to be on the field or not... I'd like to see the rule book on that.

More importantly, there needs to be changes to the rules for when trainers should be on the field - they need to be restricted to being on field when they are attending to an injured player or during stoppages in play (scrums, forced line drop out, points scored).

There needs to be a change to the rule about what happens when the ball comes in contact with a trainer ie it should be a handover to the opposition. It is up to the trainers to stay out of the way.

The rules need to be clarified about whether or not referees can change their call - and what happens when they make a mistake... like the touchie raising the flag or calling six again and then ruling last tackle. The current rule says they can only change their call when there is foul play. Yet the overturn rulings all the time, tipped by the bunker etc etc. They need a thorough review of their rules and procedures in the off season in this area.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

greeneyed wrote: October 12, 2019, 12:47 pm I agree that the NRL should have said that the wrong call was made and it disadvantaged the Raiders. They were happy to do that after the Raiders' game in Week 1 of the finals - when the Storm was blowing up. I don't think we can expect Cummins to make any public statement... but if he were a decent bloke he would be apologising to Josh Hodgson for lying to him on the field. I remain a bit unsure about whether the trainer was entitled to be on the field or not... I'd like to see the rule book on that.

More importantly, there needs to be changes to the rules for when trainers should be on the field - they need to be restricted to being on field when they are attending to an injured player or during stoppages in play (scrums, forced line drop out, points scored).
http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=3682989

The rule seems to be here. The orange shirt trainer has "unlimited access to monitor players and administer water during play and attend to an injured / ill player".

Seems utterly rubbish to me, as essentially there is then no restriction on it if you have an orange shirt.

The whole 'if it hits an official even if it is an opposition official', and the team doesn't re-receive the ball is bizarre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider47 wrote: October 12, 2019, 12:54 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 12, 2019, 12:47 pm I agree that the NRL should have said that the wrong call was made and it disadvantaged the Raiders. They were happy to do that after the Raiders' game in Week 1 of the finals - when the Storm was blowing up. I don't think we can expect Cummins to make any public statement... but if he were a decent bloke he would be apologising to Josh Hodgson for lying to him on the field. I remain a bit unsure about whether the trainer was entitled to be on the field or not... I'd like to see the rule book on that.

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=3682989

The rule seems to be here. The orange shirt trainer has "unlimited access to monitor players and administer water during play and attend to an injured / ill player".

Seems utterly rubbish to me, as essentially there is then no restriction on it if you have an orange shirt.

The whole 'if it hits an official even if it is an opposition official', and the team doesn't re-receive the ball is bizarre.
OK, thanks. I can understand player safety is important, and players need to be hydrated. But if that translates, in practice, to a trainer being on field for the entire time their team is in possession... there needs to be better guidance. They should be required to leave the field when there is no need for a player to be attended.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

The trainers also go through training at the beginning of each year and are told they can not get in the way of play.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

There needs to be a change to the rule about what happens when the ball comes in contact with a trainer ie it should be a handover to the opposition. It is up to the trainers to stay out of the way.

The rules need to be clarified about whether or not referees can change their call - and what happens when they make a mistake... like the touchie raising the flag or calling six again and then ruling last tackle. The current rule says they can only change their call when there is foul play. Yet the overturn rulings all the time, tipped by the bunker etc etc. They need a thorough review of their rules and procedures in the off season in this area.
Can't disagree with any of this. Referees make **** calls from time to time - oh well, it happens. They're human. At least apologise for it and don't lie to the team's captain about it. It was quite irritating to see the NRL scrambling to make excuses for it all instead of just owning up and admitting that they stuffed up. As I saw stated in one of the many articles online around this - the officials at the top of the NRL have their heads buried in the sand on these issues and it's infuriating to many fans.

These two contentious issues in the GF warrant a review and some clarity on the matter as a bare minimum. Particularly the issue with trainers - it wasn't the first time a trainer being on the field unnecessarily and interrupting play ultimately led to a crucial shift in momentum.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: October 12, 2019, 12:47 pm There needs to be a change to the rule about what happens when the ball comes in contact with a trainer ie it should be a handover to the opposition. It is up to the trainers to stay out of the way.
This rule change would make the most sense logically
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

1 week in and I thought I’d be over it but I’m
Still **** Pissed as hell.

The trainer incident I don’t care what the rule book says it’s a common sense thing.
I’m AFL if the ball hits a trainer it’s a 50 and free kick(incentive for trainer to get the **** off the field and be on only when needed).

And the whole six again FARCE I did say,didn’t say six again Bull trying to cover up the mistake pisses me off the more I read how they try and sweep it under the rug.

I can take a loss a **** FAIR ONE but this one was a bitter pill to swallow.

I don’t even know if I can watch NRL again after that garbage was fished up to us and has been for a while.
If you can overrule calls overrule the Vunivalou one and all the other calls you stupid referees ever mess up then we can have an absolute nightmare of a game if it isn’t heading that way already to put it simply “YOU DUMB **** ARE DESTROYING THR GAME”.

I will finish with this- if we make the grand final again and if it happens to be against the roosters again in 2020,YOU BETTER **** BELIEVE THAT YOU DUMB **** REFS OWE US A SWUARE UP a huge one,every call every 50/50 decision goes our way and I don’t care if you blow a howler 15-1 penalties in our favour you pricks OWES US BIG TIME !!!

Period
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

How good are these clips of the Viking Clap from around the ground! Great to relive the moment. Loved our supporters belting out our theme song as the boys ran out. Was epic, something I’ll always remember.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

This is a CRACKER!!! From the SMH.

Boys in blue humour? You can count on that in Sydney
By Peter FitzSimons

You can imagine the scene. Last Sunday evening Ben McCarthy with his two sons and nephew – rabid Raiders fans all – leave the Olympic stadium at Homebush, retrieve their car, and start driving back to the McCarthy home at Lane Cove. Bitterly disappointed at the result but still very proud of the way the Raiders played, they are talking with great animation about the match...

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/boys-in-bl ... 52zza.html
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

BJ wrote:I remember reading this in RLW.

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/inde ... rs.108113/
I know it as fact, a manly player that used to wear headgear and player second row told a few friends directly about EDIT. And he rejected them

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’ve heard from very good sources that EDIT.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL bosses to pocket $1m in bonuses despite grand final debacle

The NRL’s top 20 executives are set to share in up to $1 million in bonuses, despite a controversy-laden grand final day of debacles that embarrassed the game.

The NRL is still reeling from the series of bungles that marred the NRL’s biggest day. They include the Roosters trainer Travis Touma being hit by the ball, the “six again” mix-up, and the wrong player nearly being awarded the Clive Churchill Medal.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-bo ... 53042.html

Roosters must do their bit: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rooste ... 52zut.html

NRL leaves a mess everywhere after Grand Final: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s- ... 52zst.html
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

One more GF story. We had a Dragons fan in a Dragons jersey sitting in front of us. He saw my son in his green suit and horned hat and his 30 something mates with their faces painted and heard us talking with pride about the Raiders. He got up and walked out, we thought to get a beer. Nope, he bought a Raiders jersey from the Merchandise stall and when he came back he put it on and said 'Tonight I'm a Raider'.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2019, 2:19 pm NRL bosses to pocket $1m in bonuses despite grand final debacle

The NRL’s top 20 executives are set to share in up to $1 million in bonuses, despite a controversy-laden grand final day of debacles that embarrassed the game.

The NRL is still reeling from the series of bungles that marred the NRL’s biggest day. They include the Roosters trainer Travis Touma being hit by the ball, the “six again” mix-up, and the wrong player nearly being awarded the Clive Churchill Medal.

Roosters must do their bit: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rooste ... 52zut.html

NRL leaves a mess everywhere after Grand Final: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s- ... 52zst.html
I’ve seen a lot of calls for Raiders to move on... from fellow Raiders fans... this week. Interesting that there are Sydney journalists who are still not, a week later.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

A week later still a **** disgrace.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** the **** lot of em.
This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah I'm still kicking stones.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Yep Q, this time last week we were inside ANZ stadium precinct having headed to our seats. A few beers on board and ready to go. The bars set up around the stadium had screens so that we could watch the early games and have some refreshment to ward off the Sydney humidity. Good Times. Then Annesley's angels got involved .... our defensive lapses hurt us more but both tries came after concentration busting decisions. From a coaching point of view, I don't know how Sticky could have trained them for such scenarios.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2019, 3:17 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2019, 2:19 pm NRL bosses to pocket $1m in bonuses despite grand final debacle

I’ve seen a lot of calls for Raiders to move on... from fellow Raiders fans... this week. Interesting that there are Sydney journalists who are still not, a week later.
I think it's reasonable for people to be saying not to blame the loss on those incidents, but it's also perfectly justified for people to be pissed off about the NRL's disregard for this issue. People aren't going to shut up about it until they find out what is going to be done about it. It's not just Raiders fans who are perplexed by the whole thing either... fans of pretty much every team in the game bar some Roosters fans are annoyed by it. It's evident when the vast majority of news articles on the GF, including the Sydney papers, are all mentioning it and still talking about it now...
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I have absolutely no intention of moving on.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: October 13, 2019, 6:27 pm Yep Q, this time last week we were inside ANZ stadium precinct having headed to our seats. A few beers on board and ready to go. The bars set up around the stadium had screens so that we could watch the early games and have some refreshment to ward off the Sydney humidity. Good Times. Then Annesley's angels got involved .... our defensive lapses hurt us more but both tries came after concentration busting decisions. From a coaching point of view, I don't know how Sticky could have trained them for such scenarios.
Run opposed sessions where the trainers just run shelter skelter through the middle, each one waving their arm and yelling out a different tackle number. One of them is the secret "real" ref and the payers have to execute at high speed while figuring out who the secret real ref is among the jokers. Seems obvious really, Ricky will be kicking himself he didn't foresee it sooner.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I don't want to carry on with this all off season, it's a week on and already feels like it has been done to death. My only displeasure is the NRL and Annesley tried to pretend it wasn't an error, they should've just admitted fault straight up and moved on. By trying to talk their way out of it, they actually inflamed the scenario and dragged it out further.

As a Raiders fan I don't require a public apology from the NRL or the referee. I don't even believe the referee should even be stood down. It's just one of those things.

I do want the rules around trainers to be fixed during the offseason though. Just make it totally simple whereby if the ball makes contact with your trainer in any circumstances it is just straight turnover. I'm still completely bemused that wasn't the rule the entire time but nothing surprises me nowadays. We also need to place more restrictions on the length of time the trainers are on the field and how involved they are with the actual footy. It's been exploited for far too long across the board.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Woodgers wrote: October 14, 2019, 10:28 am I don't want to carry on with this all off season, it's a week on and already feels like it has been done to death. My only displeasure is the NRL and Annesley tried to pretend it wasn't an error, they should've just admitted fault straight up and moved on. By trying to talk their way out of it, they actually inflamed the scenario and dragged it out further.

As a Raiders fan I don't require a public apology from the NRL or the referee. I don't even believe the referee should even be stood down. It's just one of those things.

I do want the rules around trainers to be fixed during the offseason though. Just make it totally simple whereby if the ball makes contact with your trainer in any circumstances it is just straight turnover. I'm still completely bemused that wasn't the rule the entire time but nothing surprises me nowadays. We also need to place more restrictions on the length of time the trainers are on the field and how involved they are with the actual footy. It's been exploited for far too long across the board.
I think that made it a whole lot worse. As did the revelation that the referee lied to our captain about changing the decision. I think both things still need to be addressed in some fashion.

The rules about trainers obviously need fixing. They need to be on the field a whole lot less... and if they interfere in the play, their team needs to lose the ball. But there also needs to be some clarification of what happens when a referees "changes his mind". One of the NRL's rules currently says that can't happen unless there is foul play... yet the bunker tips them to change the calls all the time. That needs to be cleaned up. If there is a need to change a call... it shouldn't be done "on the run" as it was in the Grand Final. There needs to be a stoppage... and that play, played again IMO.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

for those who went to the Grandfinal...how good was Half time song (The Horses) and the boys came out to it.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Crusader wrote:for those who went to the Grandfinal...how good was Half time song (The Horses) and the boys came out to it.
After that loss, I hate that song.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

BJ wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:37 pm
Crusader wrote:for those who went to the Grandfinal...how good was Half time song (The Horses) and the boys came out to it.
After that loss, I hate that song.
but thats the way its gonna be
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Crusader wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:35 pm for those who went to the Grandfinal...how good was Half time song (The Horses) and the boys came out to it.
My wife, who was with me at the game, absolutely **** HATES that song... Hates it
With every fibre of her being... And i sang it loudly and proudly.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: October 15, 2019, 9:23 am
Crusader wrote: October 14, 2019, 7:35 pm for those who went to the Grandfinal...how good was Half time song (The Horses) and the boys came out to it.
My wife, who was with me at the game, absolutely **** HATES that song... Hates it
With every fibre of her being... And i sang it loudly and proudly.
I just loved watching the whole 80,000 strong stadium loudly singing the words "THAT'S THE WAY IT'S GONNA BE LITTLE DARLING, YOU'LL GO RIDING ON THE HORSES, YEAH-EAH, WAY UP IN THE SKY LITTLE DARLING, AND IF YOU FALL I'LL PICK YOU UP" and being deadly silent for the other 90% of the song.

And then they put Daryl Braithwaite back into his box and wheeled him off the field. It was simply brilliant.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I never realised how awful my singing is until I recorded a video of horses with it overlayed..

On another note, how good was the crowd rendition of the green machine when we ran out.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: October 15, 2019, 9:48 pm I never realised how awful my singing is until I recorded a video of horses with it overlayed..

On another note, how good was the crowd rendition of the green machine when we ran out.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I wish I videoed that too.