Roosters 13+
7%

Total votes: 29

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2019, 7:42 pm There were no injuries. The trainer was on the field from the start and he was on field for both the Roosters' initial sets.

I'm not "moving on", myself, given that there were two obvious injustices in the Grand Final, both of which led to the two tries for the Roosters.

I don't think the referees made the wrong call in "Trainergate"... but the Roosters were breaching the NRL guidelines on situations where the trainer is permitted on field. I've no doubt the Raiders were probably doing the same thing. In my view, the fans should be keeping the pressure on the NRL to fix this situation. The current rules and/or enforcement of them are wrong/inadequate.

On #6again, I'm still furious that Graham Annesley has not admitted that it was wrong what happened and that it was seriously costly for the Raiders. All we've heard from the NRL on this is butt covering... and now they've run for the hills. It is completely unacceptable and something needs to be done to fix the serious problems in the officiating department.
Do we have a trainer on the field in our first few sets?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:07 am
greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2019, 7:42 pm There were no injuries. The trainer was on the field from the start and he was on field for both the Roosters' initial sets.

I'm not "moving on", myself, given that there were two obvious injustices in the Grand Final, both of which led to the two tries for the Roosters.

I don't think the referees made the wrong call in "Trainergate"... but the Roosters were breaching the NRL guidelines on situations where the trainer is permitted on field. I've no doubt the Raiders were probably doing the same thing. In my view, the fans should be keeping the pressure on the NRL to fix this situation. The current rules and/or enforcement of them are wrong/inadequate.

On #6again, I'm still furious that Graham Annesley has not admitted that it was wrong what happened and that it was seriously costly for the Raiders. All we've heard from the NRL on this is butt covering... and now they've run for the hills. It is completely unacceptable and something needs to be done to fix the serious problems in the officiating department.
Do we have a trainer on the field in our first few sets?
No we did not.

The guy on the field was an orange shirt "head trainer" who is allowed to attend to injured players or administer water when his team is in possession.

It was ridiculous. Have a look at the replay. Their trainer almost led the kick chase after their first kick. He was basically playing in the line up until the time he stopped the ball.

According to nrl.com
The NRL's guidelines clearly states that their presence on the field cannot in any way constitute a disadvantage to the opposing team.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2011/04/13/nrl ... the-field/
Obviously that guideline doesn't apply when the trainer stops the opposition player from gathering a charged down ball - in which case his team is awarded a scrum feed... :doubt: :thumbsdown

It's a complete shambles. The refs were saying the rules were applied correctly. That's Bull. There is no official rule about a team's trainer interfering with the ball, just a discretionary rule about the ball being ''irregularly affected''. However, there is the above NRL guideline that states that a trainer cannot disadvantage the opposing team.

I still think it was a bad decision. We were screwed.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

No wonder Ricky doesn't want to speak with Graham Annesley who is using the C.A.R.E. principal.
Cover Ar$e Retain Employment
Hopefully for season 2020 if the ball hits a trainer (no matter the colour of his shirt) the possession goes immediately to the opposition. Also if the Ref makes a decision which, by the rules, can only be changed due to foul play, that the Refs follow the rule book.

Having said that - I hope Taps never turns his back on the opposition in our goal mouth again. Imo that's what created their first try scoring opportunity. It also took the majority Raiders crowd out of the game for some time. Also, late in the game fatigue is a factor and our right side did not adjust to BJ being down in the ruck area. I'm sure the Raiders have trained for just such a scenario. Smart work by Keary to create a 3 on 2 and for Mitchell to use the flick pass to Tupou and for the ever present Tedesco to be on the spot to support the play. From a fan of the skills of Rugby League (me) that was a heads up, play what's in front of you moment, which won them a Grand Final.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Someone was saying the “EASTS” chant was played through the speakers at the ground, which makes sense because it seemed louder than it should have for the number of fans they had there?

Anyone confirm? Were Raiders chants also put through the PA given it’s a neutral venue?
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Easts chant was not played through the speakers. I was in the corner adjacent the Roosters supporters bay - whilst small in number they were coordinated and loud in their chants.
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Yeah it definitely wasn't played through the PA... their supporters zone was just well coordinated.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: October 9, 2019, 6:26 pm I don't for a second think the officials were out to get us, or there is any conspiracy or anything. They reffed the game in front of them. As i've said all along as a ref you have in the back of your mind the biggest consequences and the Raiders are near the bottom of that list.

We are who we are. I am pleased that despite everything we've worked ourselves as the best team in comp and missed out on the prize. My fear is our team or footy won't be decent enough come GF again to push through. How rare is it that you're the best team running around on GF day?
I agree with the bolded part of your post. The rest is just silliness.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Rickman wrote:
Woodgers wrote: October 9, 2019, 6:26 pm I don't for a second think the officials were out to get us, or there is any conspiracy or anything. They reffed the game in front of them. As i've said all along as a ref you have in the back of your mind the biggest consequences and the Raiders are near the bottom of that list.

We are who we are. I am pleased that despite everything we've worked ourselves as the best team in comp and missed out on the prize. My fear is our team or footy won't be decent enough come GF again to push through. How rare is it that you're the best team running around on GF day?
we were $3.40- up against the red hot $1.40- shots with game breakers of the quality of Tedesco and Latrell. We played really really well and choked them down but in the crucial moment we allowed them an inch and they were good enough to get the job done.

The 6 again, sure a difficult pill to swallow but we got that set off a poor ruck penalty and we ran in to argue rather than set our defence, a problem guys like rapana and tapine have struggled with.

The trainer incident was a massive piece of bad luck.
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:04 am

Is this info and evidence posted to any newspapers, blogs, tv shows etc (cos sending it to the NRL is waste of time, they are purely media reactionary). Nothing to do with the result but yeah, nice if it was acknowledged and the trainers pissed off.
This sums it up... but it has pretty much all been highlighted by the fans on our various sites since the Grand Final: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:13 am
The Rickman wrote:

we were $3.40- up against the red hot $1.40- shots with game breakers of the quality of Tedesco and Latrell. We played really really well and choked them down but in the crucial moment we allowed them an inch and they were good enough to get the job done.

The 6 again, sure a difficult pill to swallow but we got that set off a poor ruck penalty and we ran in to argue rather than set our defence, a problem guys like rapana and tapine have struggled with.

We should've won that game, but it was on us why we didn't win, not the refs. Sure we had a few moments go against us, but we didn't take the numerous opportunities we had.

And why doesn't anybody point out the fantastic Roosters defence which continually held us out? People say we dominated the game and field position, but they just as much dominated in defence, and that's the key thing that won them the game IMO.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:23 am
bonehead wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:13 am
The Rickman wrote:

We should've won that game, but it was on us why we didn't win, not the refs. Sure we had a few moments go against us, but we didn't take the numerous opportunities we had.

And why doesn't anybody point out the fantastic Roosters defence which continually held us out? People say we dominated the game and field position, but they just as much dominated in defence, and that's the key thing that won them the game IMO.
Agree 100%.
Refs didn’t help us, but we didn’t help ourselves in the moments that led to try’s.
Plus the Roosters defence did its job when we did have the opportunity to test it, and this needs to be acknowledged.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The roosters' defence was the key difference between the two teams, NOT the refereeing. I seriously can't stress that enough.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Worst in a decade: Epic NRL grand final fails to halt TV ratings decline

Sunday night’s NRL grand final may have been a sell out, but it was one of the lowest-rating deciders on record. Across metro and regional audiences, the epic Roosters v Raiders decider on Channel 9 had the lowest national grand final numbers this decade with 2.641 million viewers.

The five city metro audience (Sydney 832k, Melbourne 320k, Brisbane 534k, Adelaide 87k, Perth 93k) totalled 1.866 million, which is the lowest on record dating back to 2003.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d649bd8157
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Strike 3 Turnip head. But for the referees and the massive pumpkin of a melon on that trainer, we would have won that game by 50.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:44 am Strike 3 Turnip head. But for the referees and the massive pumpkin of a melon on that trainer, we would have won that game by 50.
Yeah, very good point... considering we were up by 12 when the dodgy six to go call happened, we definitely WAZ ROBBED

Melon face
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL say the refs got that six-again call right. Their own rules confirm it was a blunder

The NRL are adamant the decision to reverse a six-again call in the final stages of the 2019 NRL Grand Final was the correct call. Their own rules confirm it was a mistake that will come to define the match. Rule 16.9 says the only way Cummins could have lawfully overturned the call was if foul play was present.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b8a17f312f
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:02 am

It's silliness to you Nickman, others would say you're just not understanding the concept. There is no need for us to go over and over it 100 times a season, we're both acutely aware that we don't see eye to eye on it and i'm ok with that. Same with Pigman, we probably agree on 90% football matters and i've made peace with the fact that we don't have to share the exact same beliefs on everything Raiders related.

You will find that on any platform i've commented that we didn't win the GF because we weren't good enough on the day. That's my stance. I haven't once blamed the refs but at the same time I can also say that a key refereeing decision probably determined the outcome. It seems a foreign concept to some people that I can put the result on our performance and not finishing the job off as the main determining factor whilst acknowledging we got a lemon which affected the scoreboard with 10 to go. I don't even think that is having an each way bet, it is just calling what you see and middle ground between either blaming the ref completely, or not even acknowledging it as a determining factor.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

When a trainer interferes with the play, as it did in the game, ot should be a penalty to the disaffected team, at the spot where the interference occurred. The NRL should be happy with that as it will likely be the Raiders who will ne the first team penalsed for it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: October 10, 2019, 11:27 am

It's silliness to you Nickman, others would say you're just not understanding the concept. There is no need for us to go over and over it 100 times a season, we're both acutely aware that we don't see eye to eye on it and i'm ok with that. Same with Pigman, we probably agree on 90% football matters and i've made peace with the fact that we don't have to share the exact same beliefs on everything Raiders related.

You will find that on any platform i've commented that we didn't win the GF because we weren't good enough on the day. That's my stance. I haven't once blamed the refs but at the same time I can also say that a key refereeing decision probably determined the outcome. It seems a foreign concept to some people that I can put the result on our performance and not finishing the job off as the main determining factor whilst acknowledging we got a lemon which affected the scoreboard with 10 to go. I don't even think that is having an each way bet, it is just calling what you see and middle ground between either blaming the ref completely, or not even acknowledging it as a determining factor.
I'm not saying the game wasn't influenced by two key moments, it absolutely was, I'm just saying that stating the referee probably changed that six to go call because in the back of his mind he didn't want to benefit the Raiders is absolute silliness. He made a call, his pocket ref overcalled him, and he changed his call, which he shouldn't have done.

That's it, that's what happened, those are the facts. The rest is just needless speculation about unfair advantages and is just not necessary in rational discussions.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 11:53 am

I'm not saying the game wasn't influenced by two key moments, it absolutely was, I'm just saying that stating the referee probably changed that six to go call because in the back of his mind he didn't want to benefit the Raiders is absolute silliness. He made a call, his pocket ref overcalled him, and he changed his call, which he shouldn't have done.

That's it, that's what happened, those are the facts. The rest is just needless speculation about unfair advantages and is just not necessary in rational discussions.
The fact is, we benefited from two pretty significant ref blunders against the Storm in week 1 (Whitehead's non sin-bin and Vunivalu "out"). The NRL is not bias, just grossly incompetent.

I land pretty much where Woodgers is. The call certainly impacted the outcome of the game (though I think the social media reaction was extreme), but we had more than enough chances to win the game.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 11:53 am

So I guess the next part of the story here is do you think had roles been reversed it is more or less probable that they would have made the same call, or is it easier to just let play continue because the Roosters are who they are? I think it is easier for an official to make a key call or change a key call for and against some sides over others. The Roosters are up there with the biggest clubs with some of the most powerful and influential people attached to it, the Raiders are just the Raiders. All indicators before the match pointed to the Roosters winning easily, particularly in the media so besides the diehards like us, most people had in the backs of their minds that the Roosters would be winning the GF. All some of us have been trying to get is some kind of acknowledgement of is in a lot of aspects of life there is that unconscious bias and footy is no different. The entire game has been structured around biases and power struggles because of various influences, all i've ever stated is that creeps onto the field in subtle ways IMO. And as I said before, if you don't wish to entertain it that is OK by me but I don't think it should be ridiculed either. Do I think the Roosters would have been asked to turn the ball over after 6 again was waved? No I don't. And that's got absolutely zero to do with this notion of cheating or conspiracy theories against the Raiders or anything, it is just that in a pressure scenario most people will lean towards the easier path and people can judge for themselves but I think there is more consequences to dudding the Roosters for a title than the Raiders, especially in a game that was supposed to be theirs before a ball was kicked.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That's all silliness, Woodgers. The ref made a mistake, just like they did against the Storm a few weeks ago. That's all there is to it.

The rest of what you're saying is nonsense and does nobody any favours.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

As I said before you can say it is nonsense, but maybe one day you'll step back and at least give some consideration to the fact that we're watching a sport with some pretty strong biases on and off the field. It's always been a political game in that sense, and I don't think it will be changing anytime soon. The vast majority of NRL fans I know that support a whole heaps of different clubs are at least willing to accept that not all clubs are equal. You could probably point that out about a lot of sporting competitions but the NRL just do it worse than most sports unfortunately because it is tragically run.

As I said I really don't need to have this debate every single week of 2020 either.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think we should just agree to disagree then.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

I already said that. And as I also already said I probably agree with about 90% of the footy opinions that you throw up so i'd prefer not spend what promises to be a good footy season having a bitter back and forth on the 10%.

I did really enjoy this footy season and not completely because we were winning, it was seeing us play good defensive footy and the development of some really good players.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I wasn't bitter, sorry if I came off as being bitter. If anything I was being mocking, perhaps condescending, but definitely not bitter.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Woodgers has expressed a very reasoned and balanced view. We know there are unrecognised biases everywhere in our lives, and why wouldn't they extend to rugby league? Of course, they do. The good thing about understanding unrecognised or unconscious bias... is that once you understand it, you can do something about it and avoid it. Unfortunately, the NRL doesn't recognise them and seek to avoid them. Indeed, they often consciously take policy decisions that treat clubs in an unequal fashion, and which advantage those who are already advantaged.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It was one poor decision Ferg, it wasn't unrecognised bias ****!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Not this **** again..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Narrator: yes, this **** again
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

-TW- wrote: October 10, 2019, 1:33 pm Not this **** again..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
:lol: I didn't start it this time Mum, I even tried to de-escalate the scenario so that everyone could bask in their post-GF runners up glow....
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:44 am Worst in a decade: Epic NRL grand final fails to halt TV ratings decline

Sunday night’s NRL grand final may have been a sell out, but it was one of the lowest-rating deciders on record. Across metro and regional audiences, the epic Roosters v Raiders decider on Channel 9 had the lowest national grand final numbers this decade with 2.641 million viewers.

The five city metro audience (Sydney 832k, Melbourne 320k, Brisbane 534k, Adelaide 87k, Perth 93k) totalled 1.866 million, which is the lowest on record dating back to 2003.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d649bd8157
I blame the Roosters
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Have the NRL released the 4 camera angles that Annesley referenced when concluding he felt the call to reverse the 6 again was the correct decision? I have no idea whether it hit Tedesco or not, I have only seen the angle shown during the telecast. And as I said, that doesn't show me anything conclusively.

If this was an American sport Sportscenter would have had access to these angles minutes after the game. I'm not necessarily doubting the validity of what Annesley is saying, just would love transparency.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Self-indulgent for a moment my night on Sunday was book-ended by two Raiders legends.

About 1 minute after entering ANZ Don Furner walked past me. Gave him a thumbs up and got a head nod. At the end of the game waiting near the edge of the field to cheer the boys I saw Rickman, he looks even better in 3d.
Last edited by Finite on October 10, 2019, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finite wrote: October 10, 2019, 5:02 pm My night on Sunday was book-ended by two Raiders legends.

About 1 minute after entering ANZ Don Furner walked past me. Gave him a thumbs up and got a head nod. At the end of the game waiting near the edge of the field to cheer the boys I saw Rickman, he looks even better in 3d.
Why the hell didn't you say hello?

Also, I wasn't there at the end, we beat a hasty path for the door, I was absolutely devastated.