7%

Total votes: 29

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:46 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:06 am Cummins is being economical with the truth there.
Like when you ask a child why they did something they knew is wrong, they just clutch at what ever comes to mind now that they think can get them out of trouble... there is no time to think of the perfect explanation that solves it all, so they tell one lie and just have to keep going to try and plug the holes from the previous lie

Cummins was a child who knew he had completely **** up and was just trying to dig his way out

I don’t care about that. Once he’s **** up and made that reversal there is nothing he can say to solve it.

Annesley defending it as the right thing is what is infuriating to me.
Yeah, they both **** this one up, plain and simple. It was a terrible call - an unprecedented one at that - and everyone knows it.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Annesley really is infuriating to me. The fact is the lead ref made a call (we can all live with a bad call here and there) but was overruled on field by the pocket referee and touchie. I know they are saying it ended up being the correct call - I have only seen the one angle which was shown during the live broadcast, that to me was inconclusive. In that instance you live with the lead refs call.

The big issue to me is that they sent out the bosses brother as the pocket referee and good old Gerry has an ego the size of Uluru. Who was really in charge out there? Honestly, in a two ref system they needed to pick the refereeing team they felt deserved the job. Cummins had been working with his pocket ref in the Finals, Sutton with his. Pick which team deserved the job, they have a rapport and relationship out there. Don't pick 2 lead refs.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

After all is said and done, there is plenty to learn for the Raiders in attack and composure. The great teams rise above the officials. There are things to learn out of the GF, particularly around attack. I am excited about next year now. Imagine how much better CNK, The Horse, The Turk and Wighton will be, not to mention Sutton and Bateman after a full season with the Raiders or in new positions. And they have real final experience now. We get Williams and Hetherington and going by Twitter it sounds like Jordan R is staying. Bring on 2020 - we have the respect and support of the broader NRL community for the first time in a long time.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: October 7, 2019, 10:46 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 7, 2019, 7:09 am Feeling very sick in the stomach this morning. After all these years to come down to that is just about the end of me and "professional" sports.
That’s how I felt all day Roger. Sick in the stomach. It’s a massive error from the referee and the NRL is just covering it up.
Let's just hope it builds our resilience rather than going the other way. What a match we played.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Wiki Special wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:01 am Annesley really is infuriating to me. The fact is the lead ref made a call (we can all live with a bad call here and there) but was overruled on field by the pocket referee and touchie. I know they are saying it ended up being the correct call - I have only seen the one angle which was shown during the live broadcast, that to me was inconclusive. In that instance you live with the lead refs call.

The big issue to me is that they sent out the bosses brother as the pocket referee and good old Gerry has an ego the size of Uluru. Who was really in charge out there? Honestly, in a two ref system they needed to pick the refereeing team they felt deserved the job. Cummins had been working with his pocket ref in the Finals, Sutton with his. Pick which team deserved the job, they have a rapport and relationship out there. Don't pick 2 lead refs.
Slowed down and zoomed in on 360 last night it's pretty hard to imagine it didn't touch Tedesco. You could argue a knock on from us into him but it seemed to be shoulder contact from Simonsson.

Either way I find it hard to believe two people 15 metres away could overrule that decision.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Can anyone tell me why the Raiders weren’t deemed to be the attacking team when the ball hit the Roosters trainer?

The ball had come off us in a charge down, putting us in the attacking position. However in saying that, Is the rule purely territorial?

If the ball had gone into touch it would have been a Roosters feed because we were the last team to have had the ball.

Also, I’m not convinced the trainer couldn’t have moved out of the way, he was a fair distance from the impact and the ball flew in a straight line.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

BJ wrote:Can anyone tell me why the Raiders weren’t deemed to be the attacking team when the ball hit the Roosters trainer?

The ball had come off us in a charge down, putting us in the attacking position. However in saying that, Is the rule purely territorial?

If the ball had gone into touch it would have been a Roosters feed because we were the last team to have had the ball.

Also, I’m not convinced the trainer couldn’t have moved out of the way, he was a fair distance from the impact and the ball flew in a straight line.
The attacking team is determined by which half of the field the incident happens in. As it was in the roosters attacking half they get the scrum feed regardless of who has possession at that point in time.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

BJ wrote: October 8, 2019, 10:24 am Can anyone tell me why the Raiders weren’t deemed to be the attacking team when the ball hit the Roosters trainer?

He ran off looking pretty happy with himself. Disgraceful incident, without that we could have dominated the game start to finish.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

BJ wrote: October 8, 2019, 10:24 am Can anyone tell me why the Raiders weren’t deemed to be the attacking team when the ball hit the Roosters trainer?

I have a question. What side of the halfway line was the trainer on when he hit the ball.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The roosters attacking end, between the 30 and 40 I'm pretty sure

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:The roosters attacking end, between the 30 and 40 I'm pretty sure

Just inside our half from memory live at the ground.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BJ wrote:
-TW- wrote:The roosters attacking end, between the 30 and 40 I'm pretty sure

Just inside our half from memory live at the ground.
Yeah that’s right, so Roosters had more territory, therefore they were the attacking side.

Next year, we throw wild passes at Brett White on the last if we’re 5m out from the red zone, and tell him not to dodge them. Hell, let’s get Butterbean as our run on trainer.

I say we get the rule book and go all Pat Ryan on the NRL next year
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

I’m still reeling at this,absolute joke of a competition.

Okay let’s begin RANT,next year have the trainer in the backfield and throw the ball square at him you’ll get 6 again and a scrum fee if all else fails and you can’t come up with an attacking play.

Now the roosters **** score of 2 plays that have never happened before EVER especially in a GF,that’s what it took to beat the Raiders 2 BLUNDERS.
I’m not convinced if the ref stops play after the 6 again and talks to Hodgson and let’s the line set we defend that!!!
Now for Ben Cummins to come out and say I didn’t call 6 again is a **** farce.

Sad to say but GF was the night NRL started to Die and you will see next season how many people will drop off watching the games.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Azza wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:38 am Honestly what a farce. Not many sporting bodies as big a joke as the NRL.
I’m fairly certain the NRL thrives on the drama that comes with the chaos. Would a well run grand final still be grabbing the same headlines 2 days later that a scandalous grand final result does? If you came up with a well run fair judicial system would it sell as many papers as the current lottery?
People love drama.

The current incompetent approach combines live sport with reality TV drama and that’s why you see massive TV deals. The low home and away crowds suggest the product alone doesn’t quite cut it but add in the controversy and mayhem that completes the package and you have a winner.

I genuinely feel there is more chance of the NRL becoming more a parody of itself like boxing or WWE than there is of it developing good governance. The truth is as much as we hate when we are on the wrong side of two of the worst calls in history we all love the drama and we will tune in next year to gripe, complain and be outraged all over again.
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by raider 86 »

This is my GF rant in one a few words.

Grand final replay!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Channel 9 is unhappy about a low rating Grand Final. They are the primary reason for the low ratings.

If Nine had given the Raiders adequate TV coverage, promoted Raiders players and expressed how exciting Raiders games have been over the last few years then the Grand Final would have undoubtedly rated better.

Channel 9 have ignored Raiders for years and they themselves created the black hole that finally exploded.
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

BJ wrote: October 8, 2019, 2:18 pm Channel 9 is unhappy about a low rating Grand Final. They are the primary reason for the low ratings.

If Nine had given the Raiders adequate TV coverage, promoted Raiders players and expressed how exciting Raiders games have been over the last few years then the Grand Final would have undoubtedly rated better.

Channel 9 have ignored Raiders for years and they themselves created the black hole that finally exploded.
Can't be understated that the Roosters are ***** and a lower volume of neutral fans (+ they're own fickle, fake fan base) would want to watch them play.. I think this was moreso a factor for the ratings than anything to do with the Raiders...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Honestly if I was a neutral and had to listen to Gus I would probably turn it off.

As for whether channel 9 is happy or not, tough. Unless you get Melbourne in every year or the Broncos you won't get amazing ratings. It's not wrestling yet.
Binners99
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Rubin wiki

Post by Binners99 »

Who really cares about channel 9. I have Foxtel so I don’t have to watch the rubbishy
Binners99
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Rubin wiki

Post by Binners99 »

Who really cares about channel 9. I have Foxtel so I don’t have to watch the rubbish
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I'm proud to be a Canberran': Ricky Stuart's emotional message to fans

The tears started welling in Ricky Stuart's eyes. But they were tears of pride, not sadness. His team standing behind him, a sea of green fans in front of him and a grand final memory still burning.

"The defining moment for me was off the field," Stuart said. "And how our squad [bonded] together. They're a very close group of blokes and they've done themselves so proud. I'm so fortunate to be their coach."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Proud fans welcome home Canberra Raiders after Sydney Roosters grand final defeat

If you could capture pride in a tank and sell it for a dollar a bottle, the Raiders would be the richest club on the planet.

"We outshone them," said Raiders chief executive, Don Furner. "It was a great ride. We are looking forward to next year. I hope you stay for the ride."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Upside to the Canberra Raiders' grand final despair

Despite the sour aftertaste of some Roosters fans booing Jack Wighton, Raiders CEO Don Furner says there's a lot of joy to come for Canberra following the NRL grand final.

"It was poor, very poor, from those Roosters supporters. I thought it was bad sportsmanship from their fans," Furner.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/08/ups ... l-despair/

Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine takes early guilty plea on high tackle charge and will miss one match

Canberra forward Joseph Tapine will miss New Zealand's first end-of-year Test after he pleaded guilty to a high tackle charge from Sunday's grand final loss to the Roosters.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/07/gra ... gh-tackle/

Heartbreak aside, a huge opportunity awaits for Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/08/hea ... r-raiders/

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders receive warm welcome home to the nation's capital: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... ome!750138

‘Get ‘em off the field’: Bill Harrigan calls for change over trainer farce in the NRL grand final: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6cb89b61d1

VIDEO: The moment everyone learns of the embarrassing Clive Churchill Medal stuff up: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b466fc3c78
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

#Canberra #Raiders presented to the crowd @raiders_belco at the official welcome home for the Grand Final team! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr #NRLGF

https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 2314000384

#Canberra #Raiders fans just can’t get enough of the team. Have a good break now Green Machine! #NRLGF #NRL #rugbyleague #bleedgreen #wearecbr #WeAreRaiders #canberraraiders

https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 3443702784

#Canberra #Raiders @sia_soliola and @joshpapalii_ going above and beyond for the fans, while co-captain
@jarrodcroker is surrounded by media at the welcome home event @raiders_belco for the Grand Final team. #bleedgreen #nrl #NRLGF #rugbyleague #wearecbr #WeAreRaiders

https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 4303694849

VIDEO: The Greenhouse LIve at Raiders Belconnen welcome home for 2019 Canberra Raiders Grand Final team: http://ow.ly/gBOk50wFj5w

There are many more pics and video on The GH Instagram and Facebook pages.

Despite a no photos/autographs officially being available... Sia Soliola and Josh Papalii stayed on the balcony for a very long time afterwards, posing for pictures and signing anything anyone wanted. Champions.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Was great to meet you and Bay 53 today at the event, GE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danaman137 wrote: October 8, 2019, 3:49 pm Was great to meet you and Bay 53 today at the event, GE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

scooter wrote: October 7, 2019, 11:42 pm I have to say, the 2 most contentious moments of the grand final were both extremely rare 1 in a million (or whatever the odds may be) events that we are unlikely to see again in a very long time, if ever. What are the chances of both incidents happening in the same and both went against us. And then there was the firework in eye incident in Melbourne.

Anyway, despite not getting the result that we wanted, I thoroughly enjoyed our first GF Day experience in 25 years, highlighted by an unfortunate series of stuff-ups now synonymous with the NRL brand. My most memorable moments were:
> Ryan James forgetting his spiel (poor guy) that resulted in the rather abrupt cutover to the singing of the national anthem
> Daryl Braithwaite getting rushed off the field while still singing to allow the kickoff to the 2nd half. Surely someone is going to get fired for getting the timing so very very wrong!
> JWH told he had won the CC Medal and then didn't. Well done whichever dropkick decided to leak the result before all the votes have been counted
> Impromptu comedy sketches by Ben Cummins in each half.

I don't think I could have scripted any of it even if I tried!
There was another 'cracker' for those of us sitting in the Eastern stands. As the main 'entertainment' was playing (the entertainers having their back to us we couldn't see anything unless we looked at the big screen) they had firewords going off from some scaffolding on the Eastern side of the stage. There were about 6 or 7 exit points for the fireworks to shoot out of. The exit point on the far right (Chook supporters end) burst into flames and the ground staff immediately moved all the plastic sheets from behind the stage. Enter Fireman Sam to put out the fire. He has to climb up the scaffolding. He had a rope attached to a CO2 fire extinguisher. He pulled up the fire extinguisher and gave the fire 3 or 4 squirts before he got it out but there was still smoke coming from it. He then climbed down the scaffolding. A minute later the fire flared up again. To the rescue came Fireman Sam again. He got a little higher this time and sprayed the CO2 down onto the fire. Out went the fire again but there was still a little smoke. A couple of minutes later, the fire is back flaring at the top of the scaffolding. Up goes Fireman Sam a third time, he drags the fire extinguisher up via the rope and gives the fire a couple of squirts - the fire doesn't go out and Fireman Sam has run out of CO2. At ground level there is a clamour to find another extinguisher and Fireman Sam again climbs down the scaffolding. With the rope tied to the replacement CO2 extinguisher, up goes Fireman Sam to do battle with the dastardly flame. This time he is nearing the top and fireworks start to shoot from the exit point. Not as high as they should but still dangerous to Fireman Sam. I don't know that he was wearing eye protection either. After the fireworks settle down he uses the extinguisher to good effect and puts the fire out. There is still some smoke coming from the exit point, but the band finishes and they begin to dismantle the scaffolding. We gave Fireman Sam an ovation each and every time he got the fire out. Well done to him. It was a brave act to have to climb multiple times up the scaffolding, particularly after the fireworks began to go off on his fourth climb. I'm glad he wasn't hurt, but it was better than any of the other pre-game entertainment I saw at the Grand Final.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: October 8, 2019, 7:11 am BJ's tackle on Cordner was fantastic, 1 on 1 dropped him like a stone but unfortunately you get no reward for a great low tackle and cordner jumps up quick play the ball and the rest is history.
Boney, me being a lover of defence, I thought BJs tackle was a text book example of how to tackle. What happened next though was that, imo, the right side defence did not adjust fast enough to BJ being in the ruck area. We got caught for numbers on the blind side. That was the end for us.

Also on their first try I thought Tapine turned his back on the Chooks getting back into defence, when they are less than 10 from our line. Their hooker ran straight at Taps as he is turning around and CNK sees it and goes to his left opening a small hole between him and Papa. Verrills (spelling) steps off his right foot and is over beside the posts. It silenced the crowd happening so early in the game and followed the ball striking their trainer. Just on that, if a ball strikes the trainer my view is that it should be possession to the opposition. The trainer is not part of the playing squad or a match official so any touch by a trainer should mean possession to the opposition imo. It will also stop the ability of attacking side deliberately having the ball touch their trainer to gain possession.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The rule needs to be if the ball touches a trainer at anytime the opposing side (to the trainer) get 6 more tackles from where the trainer was struck. It will become a tactic like the one on one strip or a 40/20. Imagine tackle 3, Hodgo jumps out of dummy half and looks like he’s attempting an early 40/20 only to nail a low spiral punt straight into Alfie Langer’s nuts. 6 to go, Raiders ball, quick tap and a long pass to Wighton, the Broncos expect him to run but instead he turns towards his own goal line and launches a massive kick straight into the side of the head of the trainer attending to Langer. A minor loss of ground, 6 again, and a great moment in the game! I bet you’d start seeing a lot less trainers on the field!!!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I still feel sick to the core... i am **** ropable.
This place is woke.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:The rule needs to be if the ball touches a trainer at anytime the opposing side (to the trainer) get 6 more tackles from where the trainer was struck. It will become a tactic like the one on one strip or a 40/20. Imagine tackle 3, Hodgo jumps out of dummy half and looks like he’s attempting an early 40/20 only to nail a low spiral punt straight into Alfie Langer’s nuts. 6 to go, Raiders ball, quick tap and a long pass to Wighton, the Broncos expect him to run but instead he turns towards his own goal line and launches a massive kick straight into the side of the head of the trainer attending to Langer. A minor loss of ground, 6 again, and a great moment in the game! I bet you’d start seeing a lot less trainers on the field!!!
I'd pay good money to see this
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2019, 3:30 pm
VIDEO: The moment everyone learns of the embarrassing Clive Churchill Medal stuff up: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b466fc3c78
If you've missed this vision... it is a must watch.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Billy Walker wrote: October 8, 2019, 4:38 pm The rule needs to be if the ball touches a trainer at anytime the opposing side (to the trainer) get 6 more tackles from where the trainer was struck. It will become a tactic like the one on one strip or a 40/20. Imagine tackle 3, Hodgo jumps out of dummy half and looks like he’s attempting an early 40/20 only to nail a low spiral punt straight into Alfie Langer’s nuts. 6 to go, Raiders ball, quick tap and a long pass to Wighton, the Broncos expect him to run but instead he turns towards his own goal line and launches a massive kick straight into the side of the head of the trainer attending to Langer. A minor loss of ground, 6 again, and a great moment in the game! I bet you’d start seeing a lot less trainers on the field!!!
this sounds like just about the best rugby league tactic in the history of the game.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2019, 5:01 pm
Holy **** hell. Talk about amateur hour.

What an absolute joke of an organisation.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Its like panic mode... We just rodded these ***** of a premiership lets change this cc crap to jack wighton to shut them up.
This place is woke.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

The Rickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2019, 5:01 pm
Holy **** hell. Talk about amateur hour.

What an absolute joke of an organisation.
How good is Bradley Clyde just laughing though! ImageImage
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.