7%

Total votes: 29

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pete Cash wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:39 pm
Johno wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:05 pm Joe Tapine suspended?

Does he get suspended for anything he does where others seem to do the same or more and dont get charged?
The fact it got the same charge as keary is actually insane but whatever. There is a bias with small players + grand final but there is no way keary coming in with a swinging arm should attract the same charge as joes lazy arm
Watching the slow motion and zoomed in footage on NRL360 it's pretty optimistic to think that didn't graze Tedesco.

One day on I still feel horrible for the players and fans. From my NZ cricket world cup experience it starts getting better after a week.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Havent gone through the whole thread, but what are people's thoughts on this rule regarding the whole six again controversy https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operatio ... k-2019.pdf

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Aero wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:49 pm Havent gone through the whole thread, but what are people's thoughts on this rule regarding the whole six again controversy https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operatio ... k-2019.pdf

Saw this posted on Twitter just recently, but it doesn’t seem to be getting any attention. This would seem to say to me that, not surprisingly, the referee can’t just change his mind about a call, which means Annesley’s defence of Cummins is baseless.

Now, I think I’d be happy for them to change their call to make it correct, but there has to be a process to deal with that as fairly as possible.
Last edited by Smurfette on October 7, 2019, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rads1984
Brett Mullins

Post by Rads1984 »

I think the main reason I’m still feeling sad is that the final series is over.

It has been an amazing few weeks and I hope I can experience the same feelings in September/October next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Of course the refs shouldn't just randomly change their mind with the ball alive. Everyone knows this, even the nrl they are just hoping people get over it.

People have mentioned nz cricket, here is an example. A few years ago adam voges got bowled off a no ball against them that replays proved was a legal delivery. However because the umpire calling no ball might have impacted the play it stood and voges could continue batting. This is a sport that checks every wicket for no balls these days. They understand that an umpire missing something is a mistake but an umpire calling something actually influences play
kris-ko
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Papasaurus

Post by kris-ko »

Ruben Daley wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:14 pm I put the trainer incident almost in the same category as the firework-in-the-eye incident: it could've happened a million other times but happened to us at a crucial part of a massive game.

The 'six again' call was hard to cop. But it was such a lightning-quick series of events and I can understand how he got it wrong and why he thought he could/should correct it. Those two thoughts occurred in less than a second. The furore in the media would have been doubly as livid today had we scored on a repeat set we didn't deserve.

We weren't robbed of a win by that call. We shouldn't have received another set, so just needed to know it was still the fifth so we had the chance to take a (very rushed, odds-on to be poor) kick or something. I don't know if the Roosters would've been any less chance of breaking us on the next set. Maybe not.

Regardless, we played an excellent game against a team widely regarded as one of the best of the modern era. We should have been no chance to be in that contest yet we all know we were arguably the better team.

I loved 2019. Hope the boys are as fired up to go one better next year as I am.
Nailed it. And it took the best club team in 26 years to stop us winning our first in 25. Cowboys went through a few years of pain before their breakthrough so ours is close.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

Ruben Daley wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:14 pm
The 'six again' call was hard to cop. But it was such a lightning-quick series of events and I can understand how he got it wrong and why he thought he could/should correct it. Those two thoughts occurred in less than a second. The furore in the media would have been doubly as livid today had we scored on a repeat set we didn't deserve.
Not so sure about doubly as livid, because it is not unusual for '6 again' to be wrongly called, or wrongly missed. I think people (especially players) are slightly more forgiving if a split second call turned out to be incorrect. How often have we heard a referee say "I have already made a call,Ii can't change it" even after it became quite obvious a mistake has been made. Suddenly they want us to accept that it is ok to change a call, even while play is still alive.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Now I've seen the zoomed in replay, it's almost impossible to say whether 6 again was the right or wrong call. There is absolutely no way the decision should have been reversed like that.

So ****.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

scooter wrote: October 7, 2019, 9:34 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:14 pm
Not so sure about doubly as livid, because it is not unusual for '6 again' to be wrongly called, or wrongly missed. I think people (especially players) are slightly more forgiving if a split second call turned out to be incorrect. How often have we heard a referee say "I have already made a call,Ii can't change it" even after it became quite obvious a mistake has been made. Suddenly they want us to accept that it is ok to change a call, even while play is still alive.
Agree about the general consensus on which type of error we can more easily accept. But I meant it wasn’t a call that directly led to a try, it just took a chance away from us. Had we scored, the Chooks would rightly have been able to claim our try was a result of getting a repeat set we didn’t deserve. I also think the Chooks being on the wrong end would have amplified it. ‘Cronk denied final premiership due to refs gifting Raiders try’ etc.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

kris-ko wrote: October 7, 2019, 9:17 pm
Nailed it. And it took the best club team in 26 years to stop us winning our first in 25. Cowboys went through a few years of pain before their breakthrough so ours is close.
Agreed. We also lost a GF in 1987 before we hit our glory period too.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 7, 2019, 9:40 pm Now I've seen the zoomed in replay, it's almost impossible to say whether 6 again was the right or wrong call. There is absolutely no way the decision should have been reversed like that.

So ****.
I agree. I was shattered by the decision. But the response from the nrl is making me furious. Annesley is both a liar and ignorant of the rules. There is no way he can categorically say that tedesco didnt touch the ball. From the tv footage i saw, it appeared more likely that he had touched it. Notwithstanding this, his response that its ok to correct a wrong decision is completely at odds with the rules. Beaties defence of him shows just how incompetant the whole administration is. Why cant they just come out and sdmit they got it so very wrong. Apologise to fans and committ to a review to ensure this doesnt happen again. Something really obscure like teaching the refs the rules would probably be a good starting point.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:
julian87 wrote:I think the easiest way to convey my absolute disgust today is that I couldn’t be prouder of the team and club or more dismayed with the NRL.

Also Homebush will stink as a venue forever. Having been to Origins at Brisbane I yearn for the city based stadium model in NSW and Canberra. The old stadium in the sticks model is the absolute worst.
Yeah Homebush sucks, have to stay in Parramatta to be close by which is still miles from the city.

Catch 22 is that next year is at the SCG, but it is a **** house ground to watch footy at

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I actually thought that it was pretty good for a big game experience.

We stayed near Central. It was a 20 minute direct train ride to Olympic Park.

There were plenty of bar options in the precinct before and after the game, and because everyone was there for the game, the atmosphere around the ground was fantastic.

With the overall, most of the seats will have a better view.

Obviously a massive stadium in the middle of the city would be ideal, but as a big event venue, it goes aright. Absolutely sucks balls for most club games.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus

Post by scooter »

Pete Cash wrote: October 7, 2019, 9:14 pm Of course the refs shouldn't just randomly change their mind with the ball alive. Everyone knows this, even the nrl they are just hoping people get over it.

People have mentioned nz cricket, here is an example. A few years ago adam voges got bowled off a no ball against them that replays proved was a legal delivery. However because the umpire calling no ball might have impacted the play it stood and voges could continue batting. This is a sport that checks every wicket for no balls these days. They understand that an umpire missing something is a mistake but an umpire calling something actually influences play
Couldn't agree more. I find it laughable that the NRL and the Rosters fan base are completely fixated on the fact that ultimately the 'correct' call was made.... so why is everyone upset about the referee correcting his mistake, do we not want the ref to make the correct calls!!??

What they seem to have trouble understanding is in this instance by changing a decision while play in still in progress, the ref has inadvertently interfered and/or disadvantaged one team because players instinctively react and make split second decisions to referee's call and they have had no reason to think it would/could change, perhaps until now. Ironically, this would would have been a prime example of 'mutual infringement' with scrum feed to team in attacking territory.

Players have always been coached to play the whistle, but with the NRL defending that Cummins' action to correct an earlier call, it implies the players should NOT play the whistle, just in case the ref decides to change his call. Dangerous can of worms there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 7, 2019, 9:40 pm Now I've seen the zoomed in replay, it's almost impossible to say whether 6 again was the right or wrong call. There is absolutely no way the decision should have been reversed like that.

So ****.
I actually thought watching it live that it came off a Raider. Having watched the replay, it is not at all clear that the decision is right. I think it is impossible to conclude definitively that the Roosters' player was not playing at the ball and that it did not touch him. I actually think it is more likely that he did and it should have been six again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 7, 2019, 5:34 pm
PigRickman wrote:I think it would be fair and reasonable to say a trainer impacting the game is an illegal obstruction with the trainers team being penalised

In suspect that’ll be the way this is dealt with going forward. We get banged by a 50 year old rule because it’s largely forgotten and no one imagined this scenario with trainers when the rule was made
Did I hear right last night that the rule is if a ball is interfered with such as last night, that a scrum and loose head feed goes to the team attacking team, which is considered the team furthest up field?

In that case, 10m out, on the last, throw it into the trainer. If I heard wrong, happy to be wrong
If you're in attack, and in the opposition's half, under the interpretation we saw last night, you can throw the ball into your own trainer, and you will get six again, due to a scrum feed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 7, 2019, 7:09 am Feeling very sick in the stomach this morning. After all these years to come down to that is just about the end of me and "professional" sports.
That’s how I felt all day Roger. Sick in the stomach. It’s a massive error from the referee and the NRL is just covering it up.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus

Post by scooter »

I have to say, the 2 most contentious moments of the grand final were both extremely rare 1 in a million (or whatever the odds may be) events that we are unlikely to see again in a very long time, if ever. What are the chances of both incidents happening in the same and both went against us. And then there was the firework in eye incident in Melbourne.

Anyway, despite not getting the result that we wanted, I thoroughly enjoyed our first GF Day experience in 25 years, highlighted by an unfortunate series of stuff-ups now synonymous with the NRL brand. My most memorable moments were:
> Ryan James forgetting his spiel (poor guy) that resulted in the rather abrupt cutover to the singing of the national anthem
> Daryl Braithwaite getting rushed off the field while still singing to allow the kickoff to the 2nd half. Surely someone is going to get fired for getting the timing so very very wrong!
> JWH told he had won the CC Medal and then didn't. Well done whichever dropkick decided to leak the result before all the votes have been counted
> Impromptu comedy sketches by Ben Cummins in each half.

I don't think I could have scripted any of it even if I tried!
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Heres the unpopular truth. We lost coz Hodgson and especially sezer failed to step up to make big plays. We had 12 sets to 5 in the first 18mins of 2nd half. Wighton got too much ball in crucial stages of attack he isn't experienced enough to make a great pass or play.. sezer didnt take advantage enough the same way keary did when he saw on opening.. we kept running predictable slow unthreatening attack down their left edge.. we didnt utilise bateman or bj effectively enough.. our attack hasnt clicked all season its gotta be better if we're gna make top 4. Yes bj shoulda passed but thats not y we lost. Dno if williams is gna be better than sezer or how long it'll take him to adapt.. but i see it if sezer goes for williams and bj goes to dogs with raps def leaving we are losing too much strike to contend for top 4
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

How many times did we stuff up when we ran plays down their right edge.. sticky should take responsibility for the crap wighton nd toots offered.. btw cnk deserved cc not wighton. As if croker has more of a chance getting around manu than bj around lm srsli we wasted so many sets trying to go down their right edge all to no avail. Im still not sold at jack at 6 he didnt do enough with the amount of ball he got... nd they compare him to loz.. LOL
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

PigRickman wrote: October 7, 2019, 3:45 pm I’ve given in a bit today and decided to read/watch some interviews

Really proud of how our boys handled this, VERY impressed with how Stuart handled it too. He really does appear to be a changed coach in this regard

I lost a bit of respect for Trent Robinson too for how he’s handled it. I get why, he feels like the controversial calls have given reason to fans and commentators to delegitimise their achievements, which they’ve work hard all year, so he’s bristling against that for obvious reasons

But he’s gone about it in a way that is pretty classless and ungracious. A real sore winner.
Robinson is usually much better than this
Gee I'd dispute he's usually much better. Was vintage Trent for mine, I wouldn't expect anything else. He oozes arrogance. I still haven't heard him give us one ounce of credit as a team all year. He gave Wighton a rap in his presser but that's about it.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Aero wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:49 pm Havent gone through the whole thread, but what are people's thoughts on this rule regarding the whole six again controversy https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operatio ... k-2019.pdf

They will change the rule.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

After finding the courage to watch the replay, we played the perfect game. Our moment to take the game was undoubtedly the attack on the right side at the end of the sin bin period. BJ to Rapana pass just didn’t hit the mark and that was the difference.

In comparison the Roosters moment was when they scored there second try and iced the game. That was there moment and they got it. That was just their big game experience that got that one.

Every Raiders player played out of there skin in my mind. Can’t fault anyone
Last edited by LastRaider on October 8, 2019, 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Hazza wrote: October 8, 2019, 12:07 am
PigRickman wrote: October 7, 2019, 3:45 pm I’ve given in a bit today and decided to read/watch some interviews

Really proud of how our boys handled this, VERY impressed with how Stuart handled it too. He really does appear to be a changed coach in this regard

I lost a bit of respect for Trent Robinson too for how he’s handled it. I get why, he feels like the controversial calls have given reason to fans and commentators to delegitimise their achievements, which they’ve work hard all year, so he’s bristling against that for obvious reasons

But he’s gone about it in a way that is pretty classless and ungracious. A real sore winner.
Robinson is usually much better than this
Gee I'd dispute he's usually much better. Was vintage Trent for mine, I wouldn't expect anything else. He oozes arrogance. I still haven't heard him give us one ounce of credit as a team all year. He gave Wighton a rap in his presser but that's about it.
Agreed; he's a knob. Will be sweet when we finally beat them.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

LastRaider wrote: October 8, 2019, 6:46 am After finding the courage to watch the replay, we played the perfect game. Our moment to take the game was undoubtedly the attack on the right side at the end of the sin bin period. BJ to Rapana pass just didn’t hit the mark and that was the difference.

In comparison the Roosters moment was when they scored there second try and iced the game. That was there moment and they got it. That was just their big game experience that got that one.
I actually think the first try we conceded was the bigger moment. The second try - can't do much about great passes like that, and tough to blame BJ who was still getting back from marker. In such a tight game, however, I felt like the first try we let in was pretty soft and proved the difference.

Still think we were the better team though. Not even saying it with green goggles on.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Azza wrote:
LastRaider wrote: October 8, 2019, 6:46 am After finding the courage to watch the replay, we played the perfect game. Our moment to take the game was undoubtedly the attack on the right side at the end of the sin bin period. BJ to Rapana pass just didn’t hit the mark and that was the difference.

I actually think the first try we conceded was the bigger moment. The second try - can't do much about great passes like that, and tough to blame BJ who was still getting back from marker. In such a tight game, however, I felt like the first try we let in was pretty soft and proved the difference.

Still think we were the better team though. Not even saying it with green goggles on.
Yeah it was soft, but they did have a lot of possession at that time. I can live with that one.

However for me the try I mentioned above was the one. We built pressure over a long period of time, we showed patience and built the opportunity... just couldn’t execute the chance
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Anyone who is suggesting hodgson wasn't up to par needs their head read. While he wasn't necessarily one of top 3 I still thought he was excellent and did a lot of good things out of dummy-half.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BJ's tackle on Cordner was fantastic, 1 on 1 dropped him like a stone but unfortunately you get no reward for a great low tackle and cordner jumps up quick play the ball and the rest is history.
I'd rather keep beej over Rapa, I thought this year really told how we struggled to score tries when he was out, plus his start of set runs are incredibly strong
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Under-fire NRL Grand Final referee Ben Cummins told Canberra players: I never said six again

Referee Ben Cummins claims he did not call six again when Canberra co-captain Josh Hodgson asked him to justify his sudden change of decision in the dying stages of the NRL grand final.

“I asked him about that. He said that he said five and last. He kept five and last in the air. That’s what he told me,” Josh Hodgson said. “I said to him did you not call six again? And he said no, I called five and last.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0ebf94402c

Canberra Raiders take long way home to help drown their NRL grand final sorrows

It was a long drive back to Canberra, quite literally, as the Raiders looked to drown their NRL grand final sorrows on an adventurous return to the capital.

They opted to take the scenic route home on Monday, using the trip to celebrate and commiserate their season before arriving back in Canberra late.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Trainer interference rule outdated: Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner says the rule on trainers getting hit by a ball is outdated - designed before they spent so much time on the field.

"I know that's the rule, but that's probably there before trainers spent half their time on the field," Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: The Raiders have vowed to return bigger and better in 2020, as they come to terms with the heartbreak of their Grand Final loss to the Roosters. WIN News Canberra reports as the team departs Sydney: http://ow.ly/ok4J50wF6DP

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders fans are sticking by their Green Machine. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/aJXF50wF7b8

VIDEO: The Raiders are pondering what could have been, after their gut-wrenching 14-8 loss to the Roosters in the NRL Grand Final. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/pKvX50wF6ss
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've listened to the audio... and there's Cummins waving six again... and a referee on the audio saying "six to go".

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/06/ref ... -no-call-/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cummins is being economical with the truth there.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

What planet are you on Mr Cummins? 😦
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Fancy thinking you could get away with denying it :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ben Cummins..you're required at Centrelink.

Fill out all forms and wait.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Honestly what a farce. Not many sporting bodies as big a joke as the NRL.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:06 am Cummins is being economical with the truth there.
Like when you ask a child why they did something they knew is wrong, they just clutch at what ever comes to mind now that they think can get them out of trouble... there is no time to think of the perfect explanation that solves it all, so they tell one lie and just have to keep going to try and plug the holes from the previous lie

Cummins was a child who knew he had completely **** up and was just trying to dig his way out

I don’t care about that. Once he’s **** up and made that reversal there is nothing he can say to solve it.

Annesley defending it as the right thing is what is infuriating to me.