7%

Total votes: 29

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Timbo »

I am broken.

This is the worst feeling I’ve ever had.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

gangrenous wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:37 pm
reptar wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
reptar wrote:Referee is the sole judge of a mutual infringement.
What do you mean by that reptar? What makes it a mutual infringement?
When play is irregularly affected. Although a trainer isn't in the list of examples
In that case I’d say that’s a massive screw up then. If that’s how you judge to settle that situation.
While the rule states it was entirely at the ref's discretion, common sense clearly wasn't applied. Roosters trainer cannot possibly be considered 'mutual' no matter how you look at it.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

89_90_94_?? wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:04 pm Did the better team win the game??? No. Did the better team have the chances to win the game and not take them? Yes. Did some bad decisions go against us? Yes, but you need luck to win a premiership and the rooster got it tonight. I'm as gutted as the rest of you, but extremely proud of the boys. Bring on 2020
Sorry but that six again call then to change it after a second tackle is made is disgusting it changed the game the Roosters scored from next set. He waved his hand signed six again then the video ref after the second tackle said last tackle then Cummings yelled last tackle change over. **** is the video ref making that call in the first place ? It totally changed the momentum of the game.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

Smurfette wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:30 pm Thurston grilling Robinson about his thoughts on the six again call. Robinson got pretty cranky and didn’t want to talk about it. Must take the gloss off a win when you know such a terrible decision played a big part in it.
The smart thing for him to do would be to play the diplomatic card and simply acknowledge the fact that yes, they got a very lucky call and that would have been the end of it as far as he is concerned, as the spotlight will then shift back onto Ben Cummins. No doubt he knew all too well that they got a massive leg up from the refs, that's why he got all defensive and started arguing that Roosters also copped some dubious calls. Cold comfort that most neutral fans felt we were extremely hard done by.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Robinson is an arrogant twat.
I said it at the start of the year and stand by my proven correct comment.
I’m proud of our team, our fans and club.
I survived 87 and 91. We’ll get through this.
We just needed that tiniest bit of luck.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

scooter wrote: October 7, 2019, 5:31 am
Smurfette wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:30 pm Thurston grilling Robinson about his thoughts on the six again call. Robinson got pretty cranky and didn’t want to talk about it. Must take the gloss off a win when you know such a terrible decision played a big part in it.
The smart thing for him to do would be to play the diplomatic card and simply acknowledge the fact that yes, they got a very lucky call and that would have been the end of it as far as he is concerned, as the spotlight will then shift back onto Ben Cummins. No doubt he knew all too well that they got a massive leg up from the refs, that's why he got all defensive and started arguing that Roosters also copped some dubious calls. Cold comfort that most neutral fans felt we were extremely hard done by.
I thought the Robinson acted embarrassingly when Thurston asked him about that call. Show some class and as said above be diplomatic and move on quickly to the next question.

This is a very weird feeling. I feel proud and I feel gutted. Must be how Wighton feels winning the Clive Churchill Medal in a losing team. Incidentally, even though we are 3-3 in our GF appearances we have had the CCM winner 5 times, twice in a beaten team.

I think we saw both teams show their true natures from the top down to the bottom last night. Roosters fans booing Wighton showed theirs. Stuart, Croker and Wighton not blaming anyone for our loss showed our clubs.
Last edited by Wiki Special on October 7, 2019, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Refs aside we should have won that game 100 times over....We just blew it . Roosters defense was just too good in the end but if BJ passes that ball we win imo.
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

Just got back from Sydney after a huge GF night.

Did the refs cost us?
The charge down deflection and the #6againncall ,both led to rooster tries.

We had our chances but I really think the 6 again call was the one that if we get that repeat set we are on our way to icing it.

Rugby league is the only sport that continues to have blunders and cover them up,those calls go our way I think a different result but it’s done now.

So proud of everyone not just the players the fans and staff what a great job to hang with a team with basically origin,Australia and NZ reps across the park showed that we are a champion team!

We not see a GF again in a long time but was happy to be a part of it,I hope we keep building to a GF win and don’t drop off next year.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:34 pm I'm a bit flat, but the upside is we should be there or there abouts next year

Just hoping we don't **** the bed like 17

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I’m feeling the same.

Much easier for me to foresee us turning up next season and being serious contenders again. Cam Smith’s a year older, Cronk’s gone, we’ll have all bar 1 or 2 of our current squad and an upgraded half who is hopefully seen as a threat by opposition defences.

We’re a very professional unit, thanks to the sharp recruitment from Ricky and his coaching. They’ll all be hungry from last nights loss.

No Austin, Paulo and no reserve graders on the bench.

Back to last night, what ended up happening with CNK? Was he injured? Gassed?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
LP Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:23 pm Back in the olden days they said you had to lose one to win one.

We were pretty good tonight and hopefully with the addition of Williams he can strike up a good combo on that right side.

On reflection I think the refs did a good job of letting the game flow and Imo the 2 contentious calls ended up being correct. I think there were a few occasions that we could have had better game awareness.
Overall it was a great spectacle, if not for the result we wanted.
The problem is with the lack on continuity between seasons these days there are no guarantees. We're as likely to be 14th as we are 1st next year.
This is what scares me. Just ask Parra after 2009, Warriors after 2011 or Bulldogs after 2012. They all went to a GF and lost one, and were never to be seen again. Here’s hoping we’re more like Des’s Manly side, and we string a couple together.

I’m proud of the boys, but I’m gutted at the same time. Referee calls aside, we simply didn’t take our chances. There was 1 point in the 2nd half where they put up the stats and we were even across all counts. When a game is played like that, it comes down to a bit of luck, and we didn’t have it on the night
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Did Tedesco touch it? Any photos going around?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raiders666 wrote:Did Tedesco touch it? Any photos going around?
Not really the point.
This is the linesman's flag up all over again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 7, 2019, 6:48 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
LP Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:23 pm Back in the olden days they said you had to lose one to win one.

We were pretty good tonight and hopefully with the addition of Williams he can strike up a good combo on that right side.

On reflection I think the refs did a good job of letting the game flow and Imo the 2 contentious calls ended up being correct. I think there were a few occasions that we could have had better game awareness.
Overall it was a great spectacle, if not for the result we wanted.
The problem is with the lack on continuity between seasons these days there are no guarantees. We're as likely to be 14th as we are 1st next year.
This is what scares me. Just ask Parra after 2009, Warriors after 2011 or Bulldogs after 2012. They all went to a GF and lost one, and were never to be seen again. Here’s hoping we’re more like Des’s Manly side, and we string a couple together.

I’m proud of the boys, but I’m gutted at the same time. Referee calls aside, we simply didn’t take our chances. There was 1 point in the 2nd half where they put up the stats and we were even across all counts. When a game is played like that, it comes down to a bit of luck, and we didn’t have it on the night
100% agree with you Fui. We had an opportunity when Cronk went to the sin bin and we couldn't score. We have defended all sorts of decisions very well all year, but just couldn't do it after the 'six again' call. But for me the poor goal mouth defence for their first try was the more disappointing.

I'm very proud of the Raiders performances in 2019 and I was proud to be at the Grand Final and their performance before, during and after the game.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Feeling very sick in the stomach this morning. After all these years to come down to that is just about the end of me and "professional" sports.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

scooter wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:37 pm
reptar wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
reptar wrote:Referee is the sole judge of a mutual infringement.
What do you mean by that reptar? What makes it a mutual infringement?
When play is irregularly affected. Although a trainer isn't in the list of examples
In that case I’d say that’s a massive screw up then. If that’s how you judge to settle that situation.
While the rule states it was entirely at the ref's discretion, common sense clearly wasn't applied. Roosters trainer cannot possibly be considered 'mutual' no matter how you look at it.
I agree, however there just isn't another rule to deal with it.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

InFernos_Raiders wrote:
89_90_94_?? wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:04 pm Did the better team win the game??? No. Did the better team have the chances to win the game and not take them? Yes. Did some bad decisions go against us? Yes, but you need luck to win a premiership and the rooster got it tonight. I'm as gutted as the rest of you, but extremely proud of the boys. Bring on 2020
Sorry but that six again call then to change it after a second tackle is made is disgusting it changed the game the Roosters scored from next set. He waved his hand signed six again then the video ref after the second tackle said last tackle then Cummings yelled last tackle change over. **** is the video ref making that call in the first place ? It totally changed the momentum of the game.
Should have been a scrum feed to us. Another mutual infraction. :)
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hoping everyone is ok after that one. I think Ricky is correct when describes the Raiders fan as the most resident in the NRL. I just keep reading Twitter and news sites at the global outrage but not sure if that makes it better or worse.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It doesn't get easier that's for sure. Not looking forward to us having to fight player managers all season while the Roosters pick and choose their squad either.
AJL
Brett Mullins

Post by AJL »

The ball hitting the trainer was the correct call. It's the same as if it ht the ref: scrum to the attacking team. The rules define the "attacking team" as the one with the territorial advantage, which unfortunately was the Roosters. That was just bad luck.
Whether the Roosters got a touch on THAT ball, I don't know. But there's no doubt that they stuffed up by reversing the call. Make the damn call and stick to it!
We should have defended both. Especially the 6 again fail. We let them go 90 metres to score.
Still proud of our team, still glad that I got to be at a Raiders Grand Final. I believe this team is good enough to get back in 2020.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

T_R wrote: October 7, 2019, 6:58 am
Raiders666 wrote:Did Tedesco touch it? Any photos going around?
Not really the point.
This is the linesman's flag up all over again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
This.

The team, and the Clive Churchill medalist were **** by playing smart.

I am filthy.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hitchy
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Hitchy »

That’s tough. I can cop losing by being outplayed by a superior team, however losing on the back of a terrible call is a bitter pill to swallow
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

I’m feeling sick to the stomach. The calls were bad, no doubt, but for Annesley to come out and say that it was the right call??? Absolutely puts spotlights on the lack of integrity of the match officials. At least have the decency to say “he shouldn’t have changed his mind”. Is he saying that from now on all refs can change their calls following the first tackle after the call was made? He and Archer have to go.
Annesley couldn’t have been at the game. With a few minutes to go and only 5 meters out there were 85,000 fans screaming their lungs out. How could the players hear Cummins unexpectedly change his mind. For Annesley to sit there and say it was all good makes me want to throw up. He has no morals and no integrity.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Don’t really have many words
I am absolutely gutted about that game... but I’m really proud of the players and staff for this season

They’ve worked their arses off all year long and last night gave it everything they had

Just didn’t take enough of our chances when we had them

Hell of a season.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

AJL wrote:The ball hitting the trainer was the correct call. It's the same as if it ht the ref: scrum to the attacking team. The rules define the "attacking team" as the one with the territorial advantage, which unfortunately was the Roosters. That was just bad luck.
Umm no. It’s not the same. One person is a neutral entitled to be in close proximity to the to play perform his/her role.

As stated earlier, if you want the rule to be black and white like that just pass it into your trainer forever on the 5th.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I am absolutely 100% proud of our boys. They have played exceptionally well and shown grit, determination and heart all year. Everything that the Raiders should be.

Last night, we did everything right. We shut down Tedesco. Cronk and Kearey were quiet. Hargreaves and Cordner were contained. Our defence was for the most part very strong, our scramble exceptional.

I don’t think we did anything wrong. We can all hold our Heads high.

Every game of footy has moments that swing momentum. The Roosters got 2 of those moments and capitalised on both of them. That’s what sets them apart.

While it’s gut wrenching that both of their tries were scored off the back of questionable moments, that’s footy. We had opportunities to win, and we didn’t.

2019 will go down as our most successful year in a quarter of a century, and we have the Clive Churchill medalist in our team. We were best on ground, and are undoubtably the ‘people’s champions’ today.

We have a lot to be happy about.

BleedGreen.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

That was a hollow feeling when the chooks scored. We certainly didn’t get the run of the green but I couldn’t be prouder of the team and he way we played. Full credit to the roosters defence who turned away everything we threw at them. They just took their opportunities slightly better than us.

Let’s hope we can make our way here again next year and finish the job.

Fantastic season from the raiders and I thoroughly enjoyed it all and especially yesterday, despite the loss it was an amazing thing to be a part of. The crowd was amazing.

rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Overall a great experience, even though couldn’t quite get the cherry on top. Season overall was a great success, Ricky and co have transformed the Raiders from erratic unpredictable rabble into a consistent Premiership capable winning side. Next year we will be better and stronger, the missing piece of the puzzle will be filled (touchwood) by George Williams, and I can see us going all the way.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: October 7, 2019, 7:45 am
AJL wrote:The ball hitting the trainer was the correct call. It's the same as if it ht the ref: scrum to the attacking team. The rules define the "attacking team" as the one with the territorial advantage, which unfortunately was the Roosters. That was just bad luck.
Umm no. It’s not the same. One person is a neutral entitled to be in close proximity to the to play perform his/her role.

As stated earlier, if you want the rule to be black and white like that just pass it into your trainer forever on the 5th.
The rule makes a lot of sense under unlimited tackles and contested scrums and I believe it's been around that long unchanged. It's a stupid throwback nobody bothered to fix.

I'd agree they could've used their discretion, if the ref didn't make that call nobody would've thought anything of it.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

They tried there guts out there last night, were probably the better team for the majority of the match but just didn't capitalize on enough opportunities.
Anyway that's a huge effort against a very good roosters side , I couldn't ask for to much more out of them.
I don't regret coming over for it one bit, it was a hell of an atmosphere both pre game and during, that level of raiders fanfare/hype may never be repeated again as I reckon the time it has been since our last grand final appearance really added to the build up.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

gangrenous wrote: October 7, 2019, 7:45 am

Exactly, it was an absolutely shocking decision. I don’t buy the whole “it’s the rules” BS, if the refs strictly applied the rules all the time they would be giving away 100 penalties a game.

In that scenario a good referee, recognising the “rules” did not completely account for this situation, should’ve applied common sense and awarded the scrum feed to the Raiders, rather than handing the Roosters a try assist. Even if he chose to apply the rule strictly, it still should’ve been a scrum feed to the Raiders as we were the ones attacking at that point.

That was easily one of the worst calls in a GF, if not RL history.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I agree rayden. I think the trainer call is actually much worse than the 6 again.

I actually have some sympathy for Cummins on that one. He made a call and then he’s realised he’s screwed up in a grand final. At that point he only has crap options left:
- deny one team a chance for an attacking play/repeat set
- award 6 tackles unfairly to a team in the opposition 20.

In the end he has gone for the lesser of two evils in deciding the game in all likelihood, at the expense of the optics on himself. Unlucky that the Raiders defence happened to break in that set and Roosters go 80m.

It’s a bad bad blunder, but after he’s made it he’s in an awful spot. On the flip side, there was no split second call on the Trainer. That’s just really poor judgement for me.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Very gutted. We were the better team on the night but we didn't come away with the trophy. The refs calls didn't help but even with them, we didn't capitalise on our opportunities and that cost us.

I'm still proud and I cannot wait to see what the team can produce next year with Williams steering them.

But boy I wish it wasn't the roosters who won.. They have to have the most pathetic fans out of any team in the NRL.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

That was a really quality game of football, the last two Grand Finals have been one sided and that was anyone’s game. It’s a shame that it has been so marred by the 6 again debacle. I am not a refs faulter, I think we had enough chances to win the game (I really do think Papa would have scored if allowed to catch the ball) - but that ref cockup was one of the moments that defined the game. People saying “we hadn’t scored a try all second half” are missing the fact that it was 8-8, and we had bombed a certain try with Leilua passing too late. Regardless - we only needed a field goal at that stage. The call had a huge impact on the game, whatever way you look at it. You need luck to win these games, and the Roosters had all the luck last night - we had 3 near misses (Croker not catching the bomb to score, Papalii professional foul, Leilua late pass).

I was really impressed with Wighton and CNK. It is amazing to have 2 spine players as our best players in a Grand Final, and they are both relatively young. They will only get better. Wighton’s journey has been nothing short of incredible - from a near sacking to Clive Churchill.

I was also really happy with our forwards. I thought Horsburgh and Guler were class. Particularly Guler, in limited minutes - he is developing nicely. Lui tried hard and, ignoring his mistake, made some tough runs and defended well. Sia was great, generated plenty of momentum from his runs. Papalii was immense, given his pec injury. Bateman and Whitehead were solid as always. Tapine was a little quiet, but worked hard in defence.

2020 will be interesting - if Rapana does stay, I think it helps. We lose Sezer and maybe Leilua, upgrade Bateman. I am hoping Guler and Horsburgh stay on their trajectory, and Young can come back without the silly stuff. That’s three solid young forwards. A lot will depend on how George Williams goes, though I think Wighton has earned the right to be the dominant half.
kris-ko
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Papasaurus

Post by kris-ko »

We were the better team but lost because we weren’t quite good enough to take our chances. Two of our blokes don’t make it back to the defensive line, the Roosters score two tries. And you’ve gotta take your hat off to that Roosters scrambling goal line D. They were everywhere.

Huge games for Jack, CNK, Papa’s second half and BJ (if only he’d passed). Defensively we limited Latrell and Teddy to one good play all night but that was all they needed.

That crowd vibe was incredible. Ears are still ringing like I’ve just done a day at Soundwave. That’s what I’ll remember. I love this team and I love youse all. Let’s do it again next year.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I’m still pissed over that call. Yes we hadn’t scored prior but we were building pressure which is what grand final’s are about. It’s not about scoring of every set, it’s not how games are won.

The #6again call was a game changer, changed momentum and we loss the pressure which was being built. Referring ruined the game!