Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Begbie »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:49 pm
-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:42 pm
Drandyt wrote:
-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:37 pm We had 54% posession and most of the ball in the 2nd half and came up with 2 points

That's not the refs fault, sure the call was **** but to say it cost us the match is a cop out

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
if you don't understand close games turn on the smallest things then I can't help you. Six again call was massive, complete momentum changer.
And what about the other 39 minutes, or 10 minutes against 12 men where we threw nothing at them?

Their defence was too good for our attack. As ours was for them until a massive error by the match officials handed them an undue opportunity.

Close games like this turn on a decision. We didn't lose the game because we could only break them once in the first 70, as they were exactly the same.
Exactly. Cummins clanger had a massive impact on the game, despite the fact we didn't get over earlier when we perhaps should have.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

Begbie wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:56 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:49 pm
-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:42 pm
Drandyt wrote:
-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:37 pm We had 54% posession and most of the ball in the 2nd half and came up with 2 points

That's not the refs fault, sure the call was **** but to say it cost us the match is a cop out

if you don't understand close games turn on the smallest things then I can't help you. Six again call was massive, complete momentum changer.
And what about the other 39 minutes, or 10 minutes against 12 men where we threw nothing at them?

Their defence was too good for our attack. As ours was for them until a massive error by the match officials handed them an undue opportunity.

Close games like this turn on a decision. We didn't lose the game because we could only break them once in the first 70, as they were exactly the same.
Exactly. Cummins clanger had a massive impact on the game, despite the fact we didn't get over earlier when we perhaps should have.
I think the bizarre thing is he changed his call! Did he get a call from the video ref. In any case I am happy to go with the refs - but they can't change their call, that is simply not fair
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

We didn’t take our chances despite the referee Clanger...
That being said, a tiny bit of luck and we could have won that game.
finch
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by finch »

**** the scoreboard, the better team lost tonight, and EVERYONE knows it!!!
As far as I'm concerned we're the 2019 premiers :)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's a refs audio clip floating around

Cummins asks is it 6 again, signals, Sutton says off Raiders and then he calls last

Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:08 pm There's a refs audio clip floating around

Cummins asks is it 6 again, signals, Sutton says off Raiders and then he calls last

well which one of these tools signaled six again?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

We bombed 3 or 4 tries 😥
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Azza wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:54 pm
LP Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:52 pm
Azza wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:47 pm Well I think it's a shame we are losing him and I hope we have the depth in the outside backs to still be strong there next year.
It's been reported that he will be staying.
All I have heard is he is going to Japanese rugby.
I saw a quote on ABC radio twitter that he would ‘definetly be back in green next year’.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

Raiders666 wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:09 pm We bombed 3 or 4 tries 😥
really I can only think of one?
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Lucky wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:26 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:21 pm What we need are more depth forwards. Horsborough was great today and this year - a future rep player (already better than Kaufusi and esp. Gillett, and Napa, Ofaghengaue, Wallace)

Lui is a liability - at least one mistake per game, cannot attack or break the line

Tapine is so so; good hit on Addo Carr for the Bateman try but other than that average and uninspiring finals series, gives away at least one penalty and hasn't progressed as much
10000% true.... I dont want to see Lui anywhere near this team next year. He literally offers NOTHING!
Very strange callto include him in the team. Simonsson is on the bench to cover any injuries among the backs, which is what happened when CNK came off with cramp. (Probably dehydration). If Hodgson had gone down, then we needed Havili out there as cover seeing as hooker is such a critical position.

I think you're being harsh on Tapine though. He had a good finals series and deserved to be there. He was below par tonight though. Would Sutton have done any better? We'll never know.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Drandyt wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:09 pm

Cummins signalled and called six again, then changed his signal after getting a tip. We didn't see or hear the change of signal - we played to his original signal - hence Jack taking the tackle rather than perusing a repeat set or try. Thats why Bateman and Wighton blew up. The Roosters scored in the next set to win the GF.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Shame croker has to wait until next year to break the 2000 point barrier :(
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

Begbie wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:16 pm

Cummins signalled and called six again, then changed his signal after getting a tip. We didn't see or hear the change of signal - we played to his original signal - hence Jack taking the tackle rather than perusing a repeat set or try. Thats why Bateman and Wighton blew up. The Roosters scored in the next set to win the GF.
Yes hard to see how this doesn't have a major impact on the final outcome. It's my belief once the six again signal is indicated, then the refs have to go with it, especially in this case when the signal comes along time before it's reversed.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:We had 54% posession and most of the ball in the 2nd half and came up with 2 points

Agree

We really need to improve our attack next year

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Gutted and shattered. Yet still, so very proud. This season has been a ride we will never forget and the team gave it their all tonight.

I refuse to blame the referees - we have enough possession and ample opportunity to win tonight. Ultimately, it was our attack that couldn't get us over the line.

I think with the change in halfback, the addition of a bit more speed, and improvement in a few players, we can win this thing very soon
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Actually NRL and Greenberg are pathetic. There's just no leadership in this game - bad referees appointed, spends $5,000 on a ring for Cameron Smith's wife, Josh McGuire eye gouges and gets a fine, the marketable players like Sam Burgess get away with calling the judiciary a Kangaroo court and invited for a coffee chat - there's one rule for the Roosters/Souths/Melbournes of this competition, whereas we get the bad rub. I hope V'landys sacks Greenberg - he has been terrible.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on October 6, 2019, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Back in the olden days they said you had to lose one to win one.

We were pretty good tonight and hopefully with the addition of Williams he can strike up a good combo on that right side.

On reflection I think the refs did a good job of letting the game flow and Imo the 2 contentious calls ended up being correct. I think there were a few occasions that we could have had better game awareness.
Overall it was a great spectacle, if not for the result we wanted.
WorkChoice
Warlord
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Garyyyy BELCHER

Post by Warlord »

I won't hear a bad word about any man in a green jersey tonight. Every single Raider played out of their skin and deserve huge raps. All worthy Raiders. A few incidental things go our way, we lift that trophy - 1% was the difference, and they have made me proud.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

God I’m dejected.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Our kicking game tonight was very ordinary imo. Lacked variety .
Well done RAIDERS, keep your chin up and bring on 2020.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:23 pm Actually NRL and Greenberg is pathetic. There's just no leadership in this game - bad referees appointed, spends $5,000 on a ring for Cameron Smith's wife, John McGiure eye gouges and gets a fine, the marketable players like Sam Burgess get away with calling the judiciary a Kangaroo court and invited for a coffee chat - there's one rule for the Roosters/Souths/Melbournes of this competition, whereas we get the bad rub. I hope V'landys sacks Greenberg - he has been terrible.
Greenburg and his ring for Mrs Smith and suspended fine for Sam reminds me of a school kid paying people to be his friend. It's pathetic.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Begbie wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:16 pm

The problem is I'm guessing the player (not sure who Guler perhaps) who passed to Wighton must have heard the call of 5th, hence the offload.

You can hear the call from the audio, a bit of shenanigans going on.
WorkChoice
Warlord
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Warlord »

CJ42 wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:27 pm God I’m dejected.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Don't be. A siren sounded and a team lifted a trophy. They weren't the better team on the night. Our boys played like a champion team and a very small amount of luck would have flipped the 'result'. Not mad, just proud, hurting for the lads that they weren't ahead when the siren sounded, but stoked that they probably should have been.
Last edited by Warlord on October 6, 2019, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I’m sad and deflated.
Up The Milk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

LP Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:23 pm Back in the olden days they said you had to lose one to win one.

We were pretty good tonight and hopefully with the addition of Williams he can strike up a good combo on that right side.

On reflection I think the refs did a good job of letting the game flow and Imo the 2 contentious calls ended up being correct. I think there were a few occasions that we could have had better game awareness.
The problem is with the lack on continuity between seasons these days there are no guarantees. We're as likely to be 14th as we are 1st next year.

Still I just feel numb rather than disappointed. This is very similar to being an NZ fan in the cricket world cup final.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on October 6, 2019, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm a bit flat, but the upside is we should be there or there abouts next year

Just hoping we don't **** the bed like 17

Warlord
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Warlord »

Mickey_Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:33 pm I’m sad and deflated.
See above.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: How a forgettable howler decided an unforgettable game

Ben Cummins' hand shot into the sky and waved thrice to signal six again. So Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton tucked the ball under his arm and charged into the defence as his side prepared to hammer the Sydney Roosters' defensive line inside the final 10 minutes.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Gracious Canberra Raiders bite tongues over NRL refereeing controversy

The Canberra Raiders bit their tongues and were gracious in defeat, but talk of the refereeing howler that cost his team dominated the post-match discussion.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, co-captain Jarrod Croker and Clive Churchill Medallist Jack Wighton all refused to talk about the incident.

Josh Papalii powers through injury to star again

Josh Papalii has revealed he played 80 minutes of the grand final with an injured pectoral muscle after being hit in the first tackle of the game.

"I don't know what to say. I thought we built momentum in the back end of the second half and just a few crucial calls didn't go our way," Papalii said.

Raiders' Wighton claims Churchill medal

Canberra star Jack Wighton has become the first player in six years to claim the Clive Churchill Medal from the losing team in the NRL grand final.

Wighton scored the Raiders' only try and broke five tackles in their 14-8 defeat to the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

What they said after the grand final: 'Numb' Raiders left heartbroken: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

What comes next for Canberra Raiders after NRL grand final loss? https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Pride of the city: Heartbroken Raiders just starting their journey: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Green Army stand behind fallen Canberra Raiders at Olympic Park: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

The NRL grand final in pictures: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Annesley explains the six-again call reversal

NRL head of football Graham Annesley shot down calls for the game to return to one central referee after three grand final officials were involved in a controversial six-again call in the Roosters' 14-8 grand final win over the Raiders at ANZ Stadium on Sunday night.

Head referee Ben Cummins initially signalled for another Raiders set, but was advised by his assistant Gerard Sutton and touch judge Chris Butler to change that call to play on, which he did immediately.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/07/ann ... -incident/

VIDEO: Annesley gives his opinion on six again reversal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/07/ann ... -incident/

VIDEO: Referees only audio of six again call: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/06/ref ... -no-call-/

VIDEO: Croker gutted after heartbreaking loss: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/07/lea ... g-gf-loss/

VIDEO: Papalii says controversial call didn't cost Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/07/pap ... t-raiders/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders suffer narrow Grand Final loss: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... v-raiders/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Match Highlights: Roosters v Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... v-raiders/

PRESS CONFERENCE: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... and-final/

Soliola announced as 2019 Ken Stephen Medalist: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... -medalist/

Jack Wighton wins Clive Churchill Medal: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... ill-medal/
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:34 pm
LP Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 11:23 pm Back in the olden days they said you had to lose one to win one.

The problem is with the lack on continuity between seasons these days there are no guarantees. We're as likely to be 14th as we are 1st next year.

Still I just feel numb rather than disappointed. This is very similar to being an NZ fan in the cricket world cup final.
perfect description, let me raise my shiraz to you. I actually was happy my raiders made the GF, then thye went so close and were dudded.....
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Papalii was absolutely epic if he was playing injured.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

Thurston took on what Annesley said but admitted: “I’ve never seen a referee change a decision as soon as he’s made it.”
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Feeling gutted and empty!!! Chooks won’t do a 3peat, different team without cronk
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

We should of won that. Things happened, and we didn't. I'm Proud of this team. And I hope we go one better next year, but it depends who we lose also

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

I live in Bronte. Can hear the post match presentation of the trophy from my bed. That's after walking through bloody Bondi Junction to get home. Will proudly be wearing green tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Butters on October 7, 2019, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

It has been an amazing year. I've really enjoyed the banter and analysis on the GH. Props to you all. Tonight sucked. We just couldn't capitalise when we had the run of possession. But gee we are/were a team. Something to be proud of.

Can't wait for 2020. I've no doubt about our creds for next year. We will go in with a very similar squad, but a new halfback. More fun awaits.