7%

Total votes: 29

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

yurithe1 wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:00 pm
Smurfette wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:30 pm Thurston grilling Robinson about his thoughts on the six again call. Robinson got pretty cranky and didn’t want to talk about it. Must take the gloss off a win when you know such a terrible decision played a big part in it.
Well done to Thurston for addressing the elephant in the room.
Hmm. Thurston will be covering Group 9 next season after that :lol:
89_90_94_??
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh.p

Post by 89_90_94_?? »

Did the better team win the game??? No. Did the better team have the chances to win the game and not take them? Yes. Did some bad decisions go against us? Yes, but you need luck to win a premiership and the rooster got it tonight. I'm as gutted as the rest of you, but extremely proud of the boys. Bring on 2020
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:58 pm
yeh raiders wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:53 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:35 pm
yeh raiders wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:31 pm I know we’ll be better placed next year, so I really hope we don’t muck around with the squad too much in the offseason.

I’ll be comfortable with Sezer and Rapana leaving. No more than that
Rapana was brilliant today.
He was but it looks like we’ll have to offload an outside back.

To be fair, Croker is lowest rated IMO of all 4, but he’s not in calculations for being moved on. Rapana and Joey are, and Joey is worth more to us than Raps. Joey’s 1 big error aside, he was the 2nd best Raider out there.
I actually think we looked our best with Oldfield at right centre this year. BJ is better for those end of season physical matches, I will say that.

This one really is a heartbreaker. I don't know how I'll feel in March next year. I have genuine feelings there is much more corruption in the sporting world than we realise.
Yep absolutely shattering. The big thing I wanted was for us to be in the hunt with 20 to go and we absolutely were.

Look, i understand people are totally **** off by the call, the likes of which are never seen but everyone goes on about the NRL being full of incompetence and retardation, yet apparently at the same time they’re able to pull off a systematic fix and rig the results? I can’t buy that.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

89_90_94_?? wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:04 pm Did the better team win the game??? No. Did the better team have the chances to win the game and not take them? Yes. Did some bad decisions go against us? Yes, but you need luck to win a premiership and the rooster got it tonight. I'm as gutted as the rest of you, but extremely proud of the boys. Bring on 2020
Don't disagree with any of that. I sincerely hope we don't regress in 2020 the way we did in 2017. It would hurt so much more having gone through that GF experience. Not that 2017-18 didn't hurt.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

I think its safe to say we can add Paul Gallen to the list of salty morons who hate us because we ruined their fairytale.... i look forward to many years of his hate towards us as a new member of neins commentary team.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

I don't like to complain about the refs but in this game, a GF, we got dudded. The ball hitting a Rorter's runner resulting in their feed, the penalty try not being awarded (who is going to stop Papalli 5 mtrs out when no one is in front) and 0f course the non-6 again. The Raiders were the better side but didn't get the rub of the green. The NRL is suspiciously corrupt!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins

Post by Green Taipan »

I don't like to complain about the refs but in this game, a GF, we got dudded. The ball hitting a Rorter's runner resulting in their feed, the penalty try not being awarded (who is going to stop Papalli 5 mtrs out when no one is in front) and 0f course the non-6 again. The Raiders were the better side but didn't get the rub of the green. The NRL is suspiciously corrupt!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins

Post by Green Taipan »

Gold member 2023
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

yeh raiders wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:05 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:58 pm
yeh raiders wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:53 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:35 pm
yeh raiders wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:31 pm I know we’ll be better placed next year, so I really hope we don’t muck around with the squad too much in the offseason.

I’ll be comfortable with Sezer and Rapana leaving. No more than that
Rapana was brilliant today.
He was but it looks like we’ll have to offload an outside back.

To be fair, Croker is lowest rated IMO of all 4, but he’s not in calculations for being moved on. Rapana and Joey are, and Joey is worth more to us than Raps. Joey’s 1 big error aside, he was the 2nd best Raider out there.
I actually think we looked our best with Oldfield at right centre this year. BJ is better for those end of season physical matches, I will say that.

This one really is a heartbreaker. I don't know how I'll feel in March next year. I have genuine feelings there is much more corruption in the sporting world than we realise.
Yep absolutely shattering. The big thing I wanted was for us to be in the hunt with 20 to go and we absolutely were.

Look, i understand people are totally **** off by the call, the likes of which are never seen but everyone goes on about the NRL being full of incompetence and retardation, yet apparently at the same time they’re able to pull off a systematic fix and rig the results? I can’t buy that.
We know the NRL has admitted to providing tip sheets to refs on what to watch for in a game. That's already bordering on corruption.

I just don't see that ruling happening if the shoe is on the other foot.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

Green Taipan wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:08 pm I don't like to complain about the refs but in this game, a GF, we got dudded. The ball hitting a Rorter's runner resulting in their feed, the penalty try not being awarded (who is going to stop Papalli 5 mtrs out when no one is in front) and 0f course the non-6 again. The Raiders were the better side but didn't get the rub of the green. The NRL is suspiciously corrupt!
yeah all good points, hard to argue.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins

Post by Green Taipan »

Begbie wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:37 pm Hopeful George Williams is the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle, along with a squad full of players who have had GF experience.
How does George overcome the disgraceful refereeing we saw tonight? I think we gave it all but the result was outside our control apart from BJ's transgressions.
Gold member 2023
Mariner
Peter Jackson

Post by Mariner »

edit
Last edited by Mariner on September 9, 2022, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Just got home.

I'm so gutted.

We didn't get the 50-50 calls, but at the end of the day we just didn't take our opportunities.

They did.

They were better in executing their attack when it mattered.

Full credit to the raiders. Played strong, done fine.

Next time boys. Next time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

All week we weren't supposed to win, nobody gave us a chance, and we very nearly did it, incredibly proud of them

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

What we need are more depth forwards. Horsborough was great today and this year - a future rep player (already better than Kaufusi and esp. Gillett, and Napa, Ofaghengaue, Wallace)

Lui is a liability - at least one mistake per game, cannot attack or break the line

Tapine is so so; good hit on Addo Carr for the Bateman try but other than that average and uninspiring finals series, gives away at least one penalty and hasn't progressed as much
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Whoa. Let's not get salty. We genuinely had the opportunity to win that game. Slot a **** field goal and defend for 20 minutes. Poor game management.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah Horse was amazing.

Really a lot of the difference is the bench. They have 3 rep quality players on theirs.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Tapine just hasn’t hit the heights I thought he would. Still think he’s carrying an injury
Mariner
Peter Jackson

Post by Mariner »

edit
Last edited by Mariner on September 9, 2022, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:21 pm What we need are more depth forwards. Horsborough was great today and this year - a future rep player (already better than Kaufusi and esp. Gillett, and Napa, Ofaghengaue, Wallace)

Lui is a liability - at least one mistake per game, cannot attack or break the line

Tapine is so so; good hit on Addo Carr for the Bateman try but other than that average and uninspiring finals series, gives away at least one penalty and hasn't progressed as much
10000% true.... I dont want to see Lui anywhere near this team next year. He literally offers NOTHING!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Roosters barely look excited in their presser.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

I just cant get out of my head why the trainer was on so early in the game and stopped a try and why the ref changed his decision on the repeat set call.

Why?

Both led to a Roosters try..BOTH !!!

Its damn hard to take right now
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Azza wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:54 pm
LP Raider wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:52 pm
Azza wrote: October 6, 2019, 9:47 pm Well I think it's a shame we are losing him and I hope we have the depth in the outside backs to still be strong there next year.
It's been reported that he will be staying.
All I have heard is he is going to Japanese rugby.
It has been reported during the end of the GF he will be staying due to unfinished business.
WorkChoice
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

Johno wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:27 pm I just cant get out of my head why the trainer was on so early in the game and stopped a try and why the ref changed his decision on the repeat set call.

Why?

Both led to a Roosters try..BOTH !!!

Its damn hard to take right now
That's because it is a rubbish call that makes no lgical sense.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Glad Sia got recognised for the work he does off the field - he is a champ on and off the field. Nice speech - thanked all the Ken Stephens finalists. I'm proud to be a Raiders fan because of him

Happy Jack turned around his life as well. Happy Papa as well with the drink driving and weight issues.

With such a loss, so many positives this year - proud of the boys and Ricky. None of the Sydney media gave us a chance today, only the ex Raiders did.

C'mon Raiders 2020!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lucky wrote:Pretty quiet in here for a grand final game day thread.... i guess cause all the fans are at the game. Very proud of the guys effort tonight... we were expected to get smashed, and we went all year without losing 13+
A great season. Now onto bigger and better things!
Yes, and no internet coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Yeah phone coverage at the ground was rubbish
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We had 54% posession and most of the ball in the 2nd half and came up with 2 points

That's not the refs fault, sure the call was **** but to say it cost us the match is a cop out

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:37 pm We had 54% posession and most of the ball in the 2nd half and came up with 2 points

That's not the refs fault, sure the call was **** but to say it cost us the match is a cop out

if you don't understand close games turn on the smallest things then I can't help you. Six again call was massive, complete momentum changer.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Thought really the roosters were very good in defense. Even joey not going to rapana is one of those 50/50 ones because i think there is a good chance rapana gets put into touch but joey drawing the winger did open up a gap. Just the pass failed.

We copped some puzzling decisions but really our so so attack hurt us. Look at the roosters all bodies in motion where our play is really predictable because there is only really one option.

Thought we defended very strongly

An area where we struggle is the bench. The roosters bench is so much more superior than ours its ridiculous. So its things like injuries that can derail us in 2020 cause depth aint great
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Drandyt wrote:
-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:37 pm We had 54% posession and most of the ball in the 2nd half and came up with 2 points

if you don't understand close games turn on the smallest things then I can't help you. Six again call was massive, complete momentum changer.
And what about the other 39 minutes, or 10 minutes against 12 men where we threw nothing at them?

Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:42 pm
Drandyt wrote:

And what about the other 39 minutes, or 10 minutes against 12 men where we threw nothing at them?

All fair points, but the ref can't simply indicate six again and then change his mind, I can't think of a worse example of unfair play. Even if the ref thinks his initial call is wrong, he has changed the way the attacking team has played.
RaiderRay
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by RaiderRay »

Amazing effort by the boys, so proud watching that game, held off a fast starting Roosters and came back at them with quality football, brave! Some gut-wrenching calls against us, but we had chances and just lacked some quality to ice the game. Croker cops a lot on here but he was massive in defence and took some tough runs, everyone stepped up, we are in for a few good years. Goosebumps seeing how many Raiders supporters were there, amazing, the way we lost this will only win us more support.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And as I said, it's a **** call and I'm livid about it

But we had more than enough ball to win two games

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

-TW- wrote: October 6, 2019, 10:42 pm
Drandyt wrote:

Their defence was too good for our attack. As ours was for them until a massive error by the match officials handed them an undue opportunity.

Close games like this turn on a decision. We didn't lose the game because we could only break them once in the first 70, as they were exactly the same.