Hail Papa

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Hail Papa

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Funny how the narrative (especially on Fox) is that Papa has had an inconsistent career up until this year. Complete rubbish- you may be able to find a few weeks here and there but overall he has been out most consistent player of the decade by a huuuuge margin.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ll take any positive coverage from the Daily Telegraph following two decades of disinterest from the Sydney media.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Watched the game this morning - I knew he was good from what I saw at the ground, but he was by a long margin the best of field now I have seen the telecast.

One more of those performances and we go a long way towards having a trophy come Monday.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 30, 2019, 10:42 am Funny how the narrative (especially on Fox) is that Papa has had an inconsistent career up until this year. Complete rubbish- you may be able to find a few weeks here and there but overall he has been out most consistent player of the decade by a huuuuge margin.
Certainly. I think once or twice in the decade he came back after spending the off season in a pretty good paddock but still played well one of those years- the other I think he spent 2 weeks in reggies as a kick up the bum. Was that this year? So much has happened.

But he's still been our best forward, if not our best player overall for almost every year he's played. I doubt there'd be a year he's outside the top 3 performers.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 30, 2019, 10:42 am Funny how the narrative (especially on Fox) is that Papa has had an inconsistent career up until this year. Complete rubbish- you may be able to find a few weeks here and there but overall he has been out most consistent player of the decade by a huuuuge margin.
Certainly. I think once or twice in the decade he came back after spending the off season in a pretty good paddock but still played well one of those years- the other I think he spent 2 weeks in reggies as a kick up the bum. Was that this year? So much has happened.

But he's still been our best forward, if not our best player overall for almost every year he's played. I doubt there'd be a year he's outside the top 3 performers.
Nah, that was last year, when both he and Blake “Hey look at me” Austin got dropped. This year he came back from the off season the fittest I’ve ever seen, and he hasn’t missed a beat all year.

BIG reason why we’ve been consistently good all year.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

To be fair, it's hard to argue against Tedesco being up there. The guy delivers every single week.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:To be fair, it's hard to argue against Tedesco being up there. The guy delivers every single week.
Yup, Tedesco and Cam Smith the best two players in the game IMO.

Saying that though, there’s not a forward in the game I’d trade for Whitehead, Papalii or Bateman.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Haas was voted best prop in the fan poll. At the time I disagreed and said he was behind Klemmer and Paps. Since then Paps has clearly taken the mantle as the best prop in the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Rickman wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:13 am
BadnMean wrote:

Nah, that was last year, when both he and Blake “Hey look at me” Austin got dropped. This year he came back from the off season the fittest I’ve ever seen, and he hasn’t missed a beat all year.

BIG reason why we’ve been consistently good all year.
TBH I thought he was still pretty good when he was dropped. I think it was probably the coaching group challenging him to be his best rather than just scrape by on talent and fall in to the pack of other forwards in the league, have to say it has worked a treat.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:Haas was voted best prop in the fan poll. At the time I disagreed and said he was behind Klemmer and Paps. Since then Paps has clearly taken the mantle as the best prop in the game.
Yeah, he obviously took your words to heart
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:23 am
Seiffert82 wrote:To be fair, it's hard to argue against Tedesco being up there. The guy delivers every single week.

Saying that though, there’s not a forward in the game I’d trade for Whitehead, Papalii or Bateman.
Yeah, we're pretty lucky.

I reckon I could squeeze Taumalolo in there though. That guy is next level incredible IMO.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:

I reckon I could squeeze Taumalolo in there though. That guy is next level incredible IMO.
Which one would you drop?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: September 30, 2019, 3:05 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

Which one would you drop?
Tricky one. I'd have him above both Whitehead and Bateman, but they are all different players. If I was to pick which one to drop out out of those two it might be Bateman, based on the fact Whitehead has been rock solid for a number of years. I'll pass proper judgement on Bateman in a year or two. In the last couple of games his decision making in defence has been a bit suspect, whereas you don't get that with Whitehead.

Not complaining though. We have the best second row in the comp.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I wouldn’t swap Bateman for anyone
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

You wouldn't be alone.

I absolutely love his competitive spirit. Hopefully he gets us over the line in the biggest game of the season. 😊 Taumalolo is the nearest thing I've seen to Brad Clyde. He's a completely different player to Bateman, but he's an absolute freak.

Either way, it's largely irrelevant. I'm as happy as you are with our second row. An excellent combo of strike power and intensity in defence.