2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

I’m not worried, I love it.

It’s a bit like the Sharks in 2016. Everyone wrote them off against the Storm and we all know who got the chocolates that day
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I also don't see the negativity towards us. Just a lot of people correctly saying Goosters are favourites. They are. Who cares? They don't have the emotional tidal wave that's heading up the Hume right now. I think that counts for a lot. If we win, those same people will also correctly be singing our praises.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

EJ wrote:I also don't see the negativity towards us. Just a lot of people correctly saying Goosters are favourites. They are. Who cares? They don't have the emotional tidal wave that's heading up the Hume right now. I think that counts for a lot. If we win, those same people will also correctly be singing our praises.

Exactly. **** spot on
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Everyone I've come across wants a Raiders victory.
We are the story of the GF, I can't wait!
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Far, far bigger upsets happen each weekend. I should know - I lose enough money backing favourites! Honestly, it’s going to be a close game and if we turn up and get the run of the green, we are premiers.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

One Rorters fan called up Maquarie Sports Radio yesterday and said all Sydney NRL fans should be behind their fellow Sydney team and support the Roosters.
Said he would do like wise.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I'm an absolute mess.
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Bay 231 :thumbsup
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

EJ wrote: September 30, 2019, 1:37 pm I also don't see the negativity towards us. Just a lot of people correctly saying Goosters are favourites. They are. Who cares? They don't have the emotional tidal wave that's heading up the Hume right now. I think that counts for a lot. If we win, those same people will also correctly be singing our praises.

There's been a heap of comments that we are making up the numbers, which is just ridiculous. Very proud of the Raiders this year and it's not a fair statement. I think regardless of the result our team will make it a hell of a show.
jimmy82
Alan Tongue

Post by jimmy82 »

Yeah I don’t see how we’re making up the numbers.. we beat storm twice and beat south’s... I mean who else is there that you could say wouldn’t be making up the numbers.
Media suggesting it’s a one team comp by the sounds of it, albeit rorting the salary cap system
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

Practice makes perfect: How Raiders hung on with 12 men

The toughest 10 minutes of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's career were made easier by specific sin-bin training drills that Canberra have stepped up in recent weeks to grind their way into a historic grand final.

Key to the Raiders' resolve has been the weekly 13 on 12 defence scenarios coach Ricky Stuart has run for this exact game-day situation.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... th-12-men/
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

We are so much better at going in as the underdogs.

I am loving the talk this week, and Sticky would be as well. So much less pressure than last week.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

We have so much mindshare these days
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I just finished writing my game day preview... I still can't believe I've just written the Grand Final preview!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo wrote: September 30, 2019, 12:40 pm It's going to be a warm one - 32 degrees forecast for Sunday.
28 at Sydney Olympic Park: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/syd ... park.shtml
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 30, 2019, 3:52 pm I just finished writing my game day preview... I still can't believe I've just written the Grand Final preview!
Great job GE - And here’s hoping that you find them tedious to write over the next 10 years!
TheMarauder
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by TheMarauder »

The Rickman wrote: September 30, 2019, 1:28 pm
TheMarauder wrote:It's almost as if we're viewed as a bit of a comedy club, a nostalgia act, for want of a better description. Not taken seriously, always 'complimented' with a hint of humour and thinly-veiled disbelief that we have made it as far as we have. I could be wrong but I don't recall Cronulla being subjected to the same treatment in 2016, despite never having won a competition. Win or lose, I believe we'll have a real go and make it hard for the Roosters. There would be nothing sweeter than winning a brutal battle against them.
I don’t recall us getting that treatment either

I swear so many of you just need to play the victim card, even when we finally have a good team and we’re playing good footy
Jeez, I’ve made about three posts here and just an observation about some of the commentary about us in the media. No victim card at all here, we’ve been poor for a while and now we’re good, nothing more than that...
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Azza wrote: September 30, 2019, 12:51 pm The amount of negativity about the Raiders,both from many of our own fans and the media generally, is driving me nuts. This is a quality football team. I hope we spring a massive surprise on Sunday. According to many, if we get thrashed 30-6 it will be expected.
I said after round 1 if CNK turned out to be the real deal we would be a hell of a side this year (recall he struggled under the high ball in the monsoon on Goldie). Turned out he is and we are! We still have some limitations - but f*ck anyone who says we don't deserve to be there. We are a tough tough side and are capable of beating anyone. We don't have the finesse in the halves that they do... But we've found a way around that all year. We should be $2.50, not $3.00.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

It is just sloppy journalism without research. It is like how they wrote us off at the beginning of the year. There was no examination of what the new recruits and positional changes might add to our defenses structure. It’s the first stereotype in their head. And now, no research on just how close we came to beating the Roosters twice this year. We are even tougher and better now. That said, of course the Roosters should be favorites but the critics should be giving us more cred. They will see come Sunday night.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Power rankings: Soward: Roosters a lock for back-to-back titles

2. Canberra Raiders (2)
The Raiders have had an amazing season and it's nice to be able to see them fulfil their potential. But having said that, there were signs early in that game and in the second half that the pressure was certainly on them. They defended well and came through that and they deserve their place in the grand final, but they'll be right in the pressure cooker this week.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/30/sow ... ck-titles/

Five things: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -roosters/

Joey Leilua expected to be fit for Grand Final: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... ey-leilua/

Three key Roosters, Keary, Friend and Aubusson, primed to line up for the grand final: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/30/thr ... and-final/
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m just showing blind faith in ‘Nickmanism’ this week - he showed me a post on the weekend with his preseason predictions and why we would make the grand final, and every bloody prediction came true.

He also says we will win on Sunday, so I’ve stopped putting any thought into it, and will just accept that a win is a foregone conclusion now.

Have faith in ‘Nickstradamus’.

#idreamgreenin2019
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote:I’m just showing blind faith in ‘Nickmanism’ this week - he showed me a post on the weekend with his preseason predictions and why we would make the grand final, and every bloody prediction came true.

He also says we will win on Sunday, so I’ve stopped putting any thought into it, and will just accept that a win is a foregone conclusion now.

#idreamgreenin2019
Yeah, genuinely spewing I didn’t use these powers to predict the lotto numbers instead.

Ah well, have to just settle for a Raiders premiership and Aidan Sezer getting Clive Churchill medalist, I s’pose.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: September 30, 2019, 5:37 pm
Coastalraider wrote:I’m just showing blind faith in ‘Nickmanism’ this week - he showed me a post on the weekend with his preseason predictions and why we would make the grand final, and every bloody prediction came true.

#idreamgreenin2019
Yeah, genuinely spewing I didn’t use these powers to predict the lotto numbers instead.

Ah well, have to just settle for a Raiders premiership and Aidan Sezer getting Clive Churchill medalist, I s’pose.
I just put some $ on Hodgo paying $11 for The Churchill - Papa paying $8 for anytime scorer!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

TheMarauder wrote: September 30, 2019, 4:16 pm
TheMarauder wrote:It's almost as if we're viewed as a bit of a comedy club, a nostalgia act, for want of a better description. Not taken seriously, always 'complimented' with a hint of humour and thinly-veiled disbelief that we have made it as far as we have. I could be wrong but I don't recall Cronulla being subjected to the same treatment in 2016, despite never having won a competition. Win or lose, I believe we'll have a real go and make it hard for the Roosters. There would be nothing sweeter than winning a brutal battle against them.

I swear so many of you just need to play the victim card, even when we finally have a good team and we’re playing good footy
Jeez, I’ve made about three posts here and just an observation about some of the commentary about us in the media. No victim card at all here, we’ve been poor for a while and now we’re good, nothing more than that...
Don't worry about The Rickman. He's got a reputation as a bit of a jerk. Nobody likes him except Manbush.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
TheMarauder wrote: September 30, 2019, 4:16 pm

Don't worry about The Rickman. He's got a reputation as a bit of a jerk. Nobody likes him except Manbush.
That’s not true at all!

Even Manbush hates me :(
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fans invited to farewell the team on Wednesday as they head to Sydney for the Grand Final

The Canberra Raiders are in their first Grand Final since 1994 with a groundswell of support erupting from the Nation’s Capital and surrounding regions.

Following on from Tuesday mornings Members Only training session at GIO Stadium, the broader Raiders fanbase is invited to see the team off as they depart for Sydney on Wednesday morning.

Members and fans are invited to cheer the team as they depart Raiders HQ on Wednesday, as they make their way out of town from Battye St, then onto Braybrooke St and Ginninderra Drive.

The Huawei Viking Raiders horn will leave Raiders HQ at 10.30am on Wednesday along with the Raiders team bus and fans are encouraged to come and show their support! Free Parking is available near the AIS Arena in the GIO Stadium precinct.

For members and fans heading to the game early and for those based in Sydney, the team will appear at the NRL Fan Fest on Thursday afternoon from 12.15pm-1.15pm at Martin Place. Fans can come and hear from the team as they prepare for Sunday’s match.

More details on the NRL Fan Fest can be found at https://www.nrl.com/finals/fan-fest/

For those people who can’t make it to the game, there are preparations underway for a live viewing site to be established in Canberra with more details to be released in the next 24 hours.

There are also plans for the Raiders to hold a fan welcome home event on Tuesday following the Grand Final. Details for this event will communicated once they have been finalised.

Canberra Raiders media release
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

I love Rickman! He's nothing like that Nickman character, who wrote him out of the script?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

I'm finding this week overwhelming.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

reptar wrote: September 30, 2019, 6:03 pm I love Rickman! He's nothing like that Nickman character, who wrote him out of the script?
I heard those 2 were related.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote:I love Rickman! He's nothing like that Nickman character, who wrote him out of the script?
It was an executive decision, I’m hearing it came down from on high from above even Fergus himself.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:I'm finding this week overwhelming.
Are you going to run down the street on Wednesday chasing the bus and crying?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm not nervous so far. I'm just hoping the players are enjoying the experience, lapping up the atmosphere and feeling relaxed.

We've pretty much got no expectation to win, from most.

Boys, just go out, play hard, be smart, be professional and smash the hell out of them especially in that first 20 minutes.

Pressure Keary. We know he'll be kicking to Tupou.
Middles, Teddy will be in support so keep it tight.
They'll run at our edges, so talk up to each other.
JWH will be out to dominate Papa early. Bateman, come in and nail him repeatedly early. Show him whose boss.

Enjoy the moment lads. We sure are.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Imagine the extreme buzz kill if it is magic round all over again?
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Even if we lose I would be VERY happy for Cronk.
I also love waiting in long lines at the Post Office.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

We all know Cronk goes to the line then turn his back to pass. He won’t run it early in the game so Tapine needs to hit him in the ribs, legally. Get under the skin of JWH and get numbers around Rapana when they put the high ball up for Tupou.