2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by RedRaider »

Only six sleeps to go. I'm excited already. I want our aggressive defence on show. I want to see us driving them back in tackles to break their momentum like we know they are going to do to us. It will then come down to who wants it more. That would be US. Everyone focused on doing their job, set after set, with and without the ball, for 80 minutes. I'm glad we are up against the defending Premiers. It will make victory all the sweeter.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Team lists today 😍
Dont delete this GE
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Team list Monday?! What is this sorcery?
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Of our starting 17, 12 of our players either debuted in the NRL for the Raiders or had played <= 20 games NRL before playing for the Raiders.

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)

5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton

8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)

11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh

That’s pretty sweet.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Guys, the Raiders are in the Grand Final. Still can't believe it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders embrace their history as the club plans a return to grand final glory

On a green coathanger that holds Canberra custodian Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad’s match-day jersey is the career biography of 1989 premiership-winning fullback Gary Belcher. Inside power forward Josh Papalii’s locker is a poster and fact sheet about 1989 title-winning front-rower and Kiwi hardman Brent Todd.

"Me, personally, I had a really good chat with Lazo (Lazarus) before the last game (qualifying final win) against Melbourne and that’s been awesome having the spirit of the ’89 boys with us," Sia Soliola said.

Read more: https://t.co/eguVF8Iooj

Canberra Raiders face NRL grand final test against Jared Waerea-Hargreaves' Sydney Roosters

The return of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will force the Canberra Raiders to rise to a new level in search of premiership glory.

"We go in there with plenty of confidence and a great game plan. Hopefully we can stick to that and find the win. It's going to be a tough battle in the middle. We need to be a little bit better than we were against the Rabbitohs. It's just a matter of cleaning up a few small things," Elliott Whitehead said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders faithful get behind their side for first grand final in 25 years

When longtime Canberra Raiders fan Kenrick Winchester booked a family holiday to Queensland for the week of the grand final, he bore the extra cost to make sure he would be in Sydney on the Sunday, "just in case".

"There's been a lot of lonely games at Bruce Stadium in the cold watching them get flogged," the Raiders stalwart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

Hand of mateship reaches out to Lui when he needs it most

The growing maturity in the Canberra Raiders was never more evident for Dunamis Lui than in the moment after his first touch of the ball in the preliminary final against Souths Sydney.

"When somebody does an error or misses a tackle all of the boys surround each other, they always have each other's back," Lui said. "Like tonight when I dropped that ball, Hodgo had my back there.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/30/han ... s-it-most/

Is inexperience a concern for the Canberra Raiders? Not at all. And here’s why

It’s the type of green that might work this week against Canberra. If centre Joey Leilua doesn’t overcome a calf problem, the Raiders will be the most-inexperienced grand final team in 22 years when they face defending premiers the Sydney Roosters next Sunday at ANZ Stadium.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 05ec054dd4

James Tedesco says he has no regrets over shambles that saw him backflip on Raiders: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 579ae6fe6b

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/29/sli ... ks-out-ok/

Aidan Sezer says Green Machine have plenty of petrol left in tank for grand final: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/29/gre ... and-final/
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Fun fact: Cooper Cronk has played 9 GFs in his 16 year career. That a GF appearance percentage of 56%

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Three-day Fan Fest to build buzz for NRL grand final

A three-day event (October 2-4) at Sydney's Martin Place will give club members and fans of all ages a chance to mingle with players while enjoying a range of fun activities.

Grand Final Teams' only public appearance
12.30pm Thursday – NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final Teams

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/02/thr ... and-final/
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:Team list Monday?! What is this sorcery?
I don't think I can cope
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

Just told the boss I’m off from Thursday, might be back on Tuesday... (Took the news good)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

reptar wrote: September 30, 2019, 9:55 am
I don't think I can cope
What day is it?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tuesday.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote:
reptar wrote: September 30, 2019, 9:55 am
I don't think I can cope
What day is it?
I don't know any more!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 30, 2019, 9:38 am Fun fact: Cooper Cronk has played 9 GFs in his 16 year career. That a GF appearance percentage of 56%

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That fact doesn't sound very fun to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@RaidersCanberra on Twitter

Raid Sydney on the Murrays Raiders Express.

Murrays will get you to the #NRLGF. Additional services have been added to get as many supporters to Sydney for the game with buses also returning back after the game. Info: https://bit.ly/2npfHWI or call 13 22 51.

#WeAreCBR

https://www.murrays.com.au/express-serv ... final-bus/
TheMarauder
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by TheMarauder »

We might need to bring out some free flowing Raiderball to trouble these guys. Our defence is great but I struggle to see us scoring 3-4 tries against Easts operating in our current, conservative attacking style. They’ll put points on us if we give them as much ball we did Souths
Greenmachine91
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Greenmachine91 »

Roosters beat us by 6 and 4 points this year, we just gotta shut down Tedesco and smash Keary!
We have what it takes if we learnt from those defeats
Paid $300 a ticket, sitting high up at bay 607. Better be a good view! With raiders fans surrounding 💪💪💪
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Geez I can't wait for the boys to arrive in Sydney.

This morning on fox sports has been a Roosters orgy.

One fox sports commentator said " the Roosters have beaten Canberra twice this season and the Raiders haven't had a win against the Roosters since 2011"

Say again buddy..100% sure we beat them in 18..ya dud
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Were you a young (or otherwise!) Raiders fan who attended the 1994 Grand Final? Have a picture of yourself at the game? The Daily Telegraph is wanting to do a "Then and Now" picture feature on one of our committed fans! They're keen to do it for tomorrow's paper... so please jump in quickly. Feel free to message us and we will put you in touch with the picture editor of the paper.
The Greenhouse score update service
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Magic round we were blown off the park, and the scoreboard flattered us.

The last game we lost by an arsey try where CNK cartwheeled over Tupou and knocked on.

If we can stick with them after 25 were a big show, but I'm worried about being down 18-0 just purely cause we're overawed

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Team list Tuesday for the GRAND FINAL - unbelievable!!! Never thought I would post in such a GH thread. What an amazing week coming up, drink it in
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

It's going to be a warm one - 32 degrees forecast for Sunday.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Greenmachine91 wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:14 am Roosters beat us by 6 and 4 points this year, we just gotta shut down Tedesco and smash Keary!
We have what it takes if we learnt from those defeats
Paid $300 a ticket, sitting high up at bay 607. Better be a good view! With raiders fans surrounding 💪💪💪
Saw the same tickets. I felt like I was a mile away from the action last time I was on level 6!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 30, 2019, 12:04 pm Team list Tuesday for the GRAND FINAL - unbelievable!!! Never thought I would post in such a GH thread. What an amazing week coming up, drink it in
At Steve's Lazy Snooker?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I hope Stuart gives Bateman and Leilua the green light to smash Mitchell for 80 minutes. Great player but no ticker.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The amount of negativity about the Raiders,both from many of our own fans and the media generally, is driving me nuts. This is a quality football team. I hope we spring a massive surprise on Sunday. According to many, if we get thrashed 30-6 it will be expected.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: September 30, 2019, 12:51 pm The amount of negativity about the Raiders,both from many of our own fans and the media generally, is driving me nuts. This is a quality football team. I hope we spring a massive surprise on Sunday. According to many, if we get thrashed 30-6 it will be expected.
Let em talk that talk.
We ain't ****. We're pretenders. Got the soft side of the draw. Havent beaten the roosters this year.
The real GF was played last week... hardly seems a point in playing this game if we're being honest.

Raiders by 4
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Azza wrote: September 30, 2019, 12:51 pm The amount of negativity about the Raiders,both from many of our own fans and the media generally, is driving me nuts. This is a quality football team. I hope we spring a massive surprise on Sunday. According to many, if we get thrashed 30-6 it will be expected.
A few of my friends have sent me the 'ha ha ha, good luck, congrats on your runners up medal' messages already and I've just been like, **** we won twice at AAMI Park in a six week window. Come back to me when your rabble pulls that off.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Wouldn’t even worry. Out team thrives on it. They had no outside expectations on them to even make the 8. Yet their own goals were defence and to make the 4. We held 3 teams to nil all year. We are right in this. They will show up so pumped to play.

Croker, Wighton, Papalii...they have been here for some of lowest times in the clubs history.

Bateman, Hodgson, Whitehead, Sia....ultimate competitive professionals who you will expect nothing less than their best

There is not one player in our team who you sit back thinking...hmm do they belong in a grand final? They have all made valuable contributions to get the team to where they are.

And how good is is that we are going to at full-strength (pending BJ) at this time of year. It’s an absolute credit to the whole medical team. I’ve always taken notice over the years of how the premiers have always had a similar 17 week to week with no injuries. That’s us!

We got this!!!!!
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Unlike others not nervous at all. We are underdogs and not expected to win, it will be epic if we do but just making it to the GF is a massive achievement in itself. There’s so much more to a GF than just the final result, like the build up all week, the butterflies that kick in once I clock off on Friday, the drive to the airport and the evening flight over Sydney CBD into Mascot, checking into the hotel feeling like VIP, the sight of others Raiders jerseys all over the place etc. Then of course all the festivities on the big day, like meeting up with mates for pre game drinks, belting out the Raiders songs and doing the Viking clap, marching into the Stadium in a sea of green, the pre game entertainment blasting over the loud speaker. Oh and there’s a footy game as well. And to top it all of Robert Whittaker is fighting Adesanya.

I’m even glad we get to play the Roosters, better for atmosphere and we’ve already smashed the Storm twice, so this is the ultimate challenge for the Raiders. Regardless of Sunday's result we have already won. :D
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Wiki Special wrote:I hope Stuart gives Bateman and Leilua the green light to smash Mitchell for 80 minutes. Great player but no ticker.
I’m surprised you think Mitchell has no ticker.

Nick Politis normally ensures a gold Rolex or Tag Heuer for his premiership winners.
TheMarauder
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by TheMarauder »

It's almost as if we're viewed as a bit of a comedy club, a nostalgia act, for want of a better description. Not taken seriously, always 'complimented' with a hint of humour and thinly-veiled disbelief that we have made it as far as we have. I could be wrong but I don't recall Cronulla being subjected to the same treatment in 2016, despite never having won a competition. Win or lose, I believe we'll have a real go and make it hard for the Roosters. There would be nothing sweeter than winning a brutal battle against them.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote:
Wiki Special wrote:I hope Stuart gives Bateman and Leilua the green light to smash Mitchell for 80 minutes. Great player but no ticker.
I’m surprised you think Mitchell has no ticker.

Nick Politis normally ensures a gold Rolex or Tag Heuer for his premiership winners.
“Mitchell’s got no ticker? Well we’ll **** buy him a new one, won’t we?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

TheMarauder wrote:It's almost as if we're viewed as a bit of a comedy club, a nostalgia act, for want of a better description. Not taken seriously, always 'complimented' with a hint of humour and thinly-veiled disbelief that we have made it as far as we have. I could be wrong but I don't recall Cronulla being subjected to the same treatment in 2016, despite never having won a competition. Win or lose, I believe we'll have a real go and make it hard for the Roosters. There would be nothing sweeter than winning a brutal battle against them.
I don’t recall us getting that treatment either

I swear so many of you just need to play the victim card, even when we finally have a good team and we’re playing good footy
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

I posted this on September 10. I ended up getting on him at $34 a few weeks later. Anyone else think Papa is a big chance for Clive Churchill?
Peter wrote: September 10, 2019, 1:54 pm
DarkRaider wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:20 am Looking at the finals structure and taking turnarounds etc into account is it fair to assume that if we’re hosting a week 2 final (god forbid) it’ll be Saturday night?
You’d assume so as we play the winner of Broncos/Eels who are playing Sunday. They’ll have a 6 day turnaround if they play the following Saturday.

I just noticed Josh Papalii is paying $81 for Clive Churchill medal. Some great value there.