2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Lucky »

Jeez this has been a slooooow week! feels like its been 2 weeks since we last played.... and theres still 2 more days to go :rant
start the game already! :cmon
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

This Papa story is a good one. I had seen the photo’s of kids in his locker but I thought they were his!

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Boomercm wrote: October 4, 2019, 8:13 pm
Wiki Special wrote: October 4, 2019, 7:09 pm
Woodgers wrote: October 4, 2019, 5:45 pm
Wiki Special wrote: October 4, 2019, 4:16 pm Their bench has been outstanding, I truly think we need to ensure we match them by shuffling our pack. I have mentioned it previously but I really hope we line up as below come kick off against the Roosters.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
19. Sutton
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

10. Soliola
14. Simonsson
16. Horsburgh
17. Lui

Sia to lead our bench. Sutton with one job - be first contact on JWH every time in his first stint and smash him for 20 minutes.
I actually think this is a decent idea. I can still get on board with Havili for Lui as well but the Sutton one is a good one if he is fit enough, it's not like JWH has played a lot of footy lately either.

The plan for me has to be try keep it as tight as possible for the first 20. Outside of that I think we have to unsettle them as much as we can, even if we take some risks like kicking on the 2nd if no one is back at home. I'm confident Ricky will have some thoughts around this type of thing, especially if we have to chase the game.
Agreed, the first 20 is crucial. I truly believe this lineup will give us our best winning chance. They will target Papalii and try and get him into a 1 on 1 war. Sutton taking that heat is going to be beneficial in that regard.
nice idea. you're taking Sutton first 20, as opposed to Guler last 20. Fair trade. Sutton can whack defensively too. Great technique. He's less imposing with the ball but I'm in.
Yes, that was exactly my thinking. That 17th player sees 20 minutes tops and I'd rather use up Sutton for the softening up period over Guler at the end in a potentially tight game.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Dumb question guys, when is the grand final breakfast?
Read an article about the fan fest in martin place on the nrl website it was today but seen no photos or anything

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:58 pm Dumb question guys, when is the grand final breakfast?
Read an article about the fan fest in martin place on the nrl website it was today but seen no photos or anything

There isn't one anymore. The teams came to the Fan Fest on Thursday at lunchtime.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote:
cat wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:58 pm Dumb question guys, when is the grand final breakfast?

There isn't one anymore. The teams came to the Fan Fest on Thursday at lunchtime.
Thats dissappointing

Vaccinated
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Wiki Special wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:16 pm
Boomercm wrote: October 4, 2019, 8:13 pm
Wiki Special wrote: October 4, 2019, 7:09 pm
Woodgers wrote: October 4, 2019, 5:45 pm
Wiki Special wrote: October 4, 2019, 4:16 pm Their bench has been outstanding, I truly think we need to ensure we match them by shuffling our pack. I have mentioned it previously but I really hope we line up as below come kick off against the Roosters.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
19. Sutton
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

10. Soliola
14. Simonsson
16. Horsburgh
17. Lui

Sia to lead our bench. Sutton with one job - be first contact on JWH every time in his first stint and smash him for 20 minutes.
I actually think this is a decent idea. I can still get on board with Havili for Lui as well but the Sutton one is a good one if he is fit enough, it's not like JWH has played a lot of footy lately either.

The plan for me has to be try keep it as tight as possible for the first 20. Outside of that I think we have to unsettle them as much as we can, even if we take some risks like kicking on the 2nd if no one is back at home. I'm confident Ricky will have some thoughts around this type of thing, especially if we have to chase the game.
Agreed, the first 20 is crucial. I truly believe this lineup will give us our best winning chance. They will target Papalii and try and get him into a 1 on 1 war. Sutton taking that heat is going to be beneficial in that regard.
nice idea. you're taking Sutton first 20, as opposed to Guler last 20. Fair trade. Sutton can whack defensively too. Great technique. He's less imposing with the ball but I'm in.
Yes, that was exactly my thinking. That 17th player sees 20 minutes tops and I'd rather use up Sutton for the softening up period over Guler at the end in a potentially tight game.
I think it’s really good thinking and worth the risk if Sutton is good. That last 20 minute Guler stint will be waste and if we’re chasing I don’t think Ricky will prioritise him over the other forwards and might not even play him, plus we have either Papa or Sia out there at all times in all likeliness with the proposed change.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Both Sutton starting and Havili playing are 2 picks I’ve been harping on about for ages but I think it’s too late. I think it’s the 17 he’s named with maybe a re-shuffle of starters (papa or Soliola) the only possible change.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Steve Walters on my flight from Brisbane to Sydney this morning. Good to see the the old glory boys heading down for the big one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

One more sleep!

Raining in western Sydney at the moment.. but forecast tomorrow should be dry.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:FRANK'S VIEW FROM A LAP

"Get in green you jokers! I've had my dinner, and now I'm going to be dreaming about a 100-0 win. Put your money on it! Go the Green Machine! GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL!!"Image
Made me laugh.

Thanks Frank!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Game day eve! The longer the week goes on the more I feel that we can do this!

I’d be interested to know Luke’s vulnerability rating for this game. Is it an all time high due to grand final pressure or an all time low due to low expectations?

We need a barometer on this game!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It's getting real now !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Mark Geyer on Triple M yesterday did his version of “Matt’s Matchups” with the Raiders coming out on top. Some very dubious ones like Wighton over Keary.

What has become clear to me is that they have it over us in the backs, but we are better matched in the forwards (excluding the bench). It will be fascinating to see how Stuart wants them to play it. Commentators are saying he needs to take a chance and go for second phase, but I get the impression he will want to have a forward dominated game, play it safe, kick to the corners and win territory. Forwards win big games - back our forwards to get the job done against theirs, they aren’t huge through the middle with Verrils and Radley defending. JWH is a big body, but not very mobile laterally. I think Tapine, Papa and Bateman can have some success on that unders line on the inside, coming back against the grain, isolating Verrils, generating a quick play the ball, and having Hodgson jump out.

Individually, a bunch of our players need to play the games of their lives. I am really hoping 2016/2017 Rapana is there for this game, his battle with Tupou could be really important, particularly defusing kicks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

TongueFTW wrote: October 5, 2019, 8:28 am
I get the impression he will want to have a forward dominated game, play it safe, kick to the corners and win territory. Forwards win big games - back our forwards to get the job done against theirs, they aren’t huge through the middle with Verrils and Radley defending. JWH is a big body, but not very mobile laterally. I think Tapine, Papa and Bateman can have some success on that unders line on the inside, coming back against the grain, isolating Verrils, generating a quick play the ball, and having Hodgson jump out.
Actually he said the complete opposite on radio this morning. I guess we'll find out come kick off.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

TongueFTW wrote:Mark Geyer on Triple M yesterday did his version of “Matt’s Matchups” with the Raiders coming out on top. Some very dubious ones like Wighton over Keary.

What has become clear to me is that they have it over us in the backs, but we are better matched in the forwards (excluding the bench). It will be fascinating to see how Stuart wants them to play it. Commentators are saying he needs to take a chance and go for second phase, but I get the impression he will want to have a forward dominated game, play it safe, kick to the corners and win territory. Forwards win big games - back our forwards to get the job done against theirs, they aren’t huge through the middle with Verrils and Radley defending. JWH is a big body, but not very mobile laterally. I think Tapine, Papa and Bateman can have some success on that unders line on the inside, coming back against the grain, isolating Verrils, generating a quick play the ball, and having Hodgson jump out.

Individually, a bunch of our players need to play the games of their lives. I am really hoping 2016/2017 Rapana is there for this game, his battle with Tupou could be really important, particularly defusing kicks.
Yeah I agree. Keep it in the middle as much as possible. We need to start fast then turn it into a grind.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

There is a lot of talk about us needing to take risks, play second phase, chance our arm, start fast etc.

I think it may just rattle the Chooks when they find out we can go toe to toe with them and put THEM in the arm wrestle.

I’m pretty confident the Chooks will go into it with a subconscious expectation that if they get some points early, they will be fine. They will not be expecting us to drag them down and scratch their eyes out for 80 minutes.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

6. LUKE KEARY vs JACK WIGHTON

Keary: Run metres: 31, Linebreak assists: 29 Try assists: 28

Wighton: Run metres: 91, Linebreak assists: 13 Try assists: 10

That's an insane difference. Completely different styles. Would almost count Jacko as a second fullback rather than a half on those stats.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

pacman wrote: October 5, 2019, 9:57 am 6. LUKE KEARY vs JACK WIGHTON

Keary: Run metres: 31, Linebreak assists: 29 Try assists: 28

Wighton: Run metres: 91, Linebreak assists: 13 Try assists: 10

That's an insane difference. Completely different styles. Would almost count Jacko as a second fullback rather than a half on those stats.
That's almost exactly how he's playing. A second fullback defending in the line. The other difference is he's been given more responsibility with his kicking game.

Very different player to Keary. It's an interesting matchup.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

LastRaider wrote: October 5, 2019, 9:35 am
TongueFTW wrote:Mark Geyer on Triple M yesterday did his version of “Matt’s Matchups” with the Raiders coming out on top. Some very dubious ones like Wighton over Keary.

Yeah I agree. Keep it in the middle as much as possible. We need to start fast then turn it into a grind.
Yeah, I'm not sure if we can start faster than the Roosters. Nobody has this season.

The general consensus is we need to go with them for the first 20 and then chance our arm from there.

Dunno. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote: October 5, 2019, 9:42 am There is a lot of talk about us needing to take risks, play second phase, chance our arm, start fast etc.

I think it may just rattle the Chooks when they find out we can go toe to toe with them and put THEM in the arm wrestle.

I’m pretty confident the Chooks will go into it with a subconscious expectation that if they get some points early, they will be fine. They will not be expecting us to drag them down and scratch their eyes out for 80 minutes.
I almost expect the Roosters to score early too. The boys should be fine with that as long as the margin is around that 6-8 points after 20 mins.

Of course, the if we manage to hold our line for a 20 I think the Roosters will start to panic a bit.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I actually think the boys preform better against the better teams when they don’t score first. It seams to focus the team better. When we lead for a long period of time we lose focus sometimes. It wouldn’t be the ideal start but if Roosters got to a 10 - 0 lead I wouldn’t be to worriedd
Poida_Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Poida_Raider »

On the plane to Sydney from New Plymouth via Auckland. Few raiders shirts on board. I am pumped! Come on boys!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

A lot of raiders supporters on the Hume Hwy this morning, good to see the convoy is well and truely underway!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart and back Bailey Simonsson at their hotel in Sydney, as the clock ticks down to the 2019 Grand Final! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/pGhl50wCCER

VIDEO: What a Grand Final week it has been for the Canberra Raiders! This clip from WIN News Canberra will get you in the mood for tomorrow, #GreenNation! Click here: http://ow.ly/qaJn50wCCSq

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders Sia Soliola, Joe Tapine, Dunamis Lui and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad as they prepare for the 2019 NRL Grand Final! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/uqHG50wCCNc

VIDEO: Some messages of support from the Middle East for the Canberra Raiders. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/KhHK50wCCLj

VIDEO: WIN News Canberra looks back on Grand Final week in 1994! See some Green Machine fever from 25 years ago: http://ow.ly/gNbk50wCCyv

#NRLGF #WeAreRaiders #NRL #wearecbr #Canberra #Raiders
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

I saw JB sipping quickly from a bottle of water,resealing the lid,then opening it almost straight away and sipping again in the sheds pregame against Souths.
He was nervous ,no doubt.
And why wouldn’t he be,knowing he had his daughter possibly flying over for the GF if the boys made it.
I hope she has,and JB has spent the early part of the week with his daughter.
He will be pumped for the match and I am expecting a massive game from him.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

She hasnt flown out , she has school

Brother , best mate and Nan are out here
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Coastalraider wrote:There is a lot of talk about us needing to take risks, play second phase, chance our arm, start fast etc.

We'll use a lot of offloads and try and move them around to break up the ruck

It worked well in the round 21 game, 18 offloads and we had a solid 10 minute stint with the ball at the end making metres at ease but their scramble was just too good

We need to do everything to keep Tupou out of the game, he will kill us in the air.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: October 5, 2019, 12:46 pm She hasnt flown out , she has school

Brother , best mate and Nan are out here
Understandable regarding his daughter.

Great news for him to have family and a mate in the stands .
greeneyed
Don Furner

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Last man standing: Jarrod Croker ready to finish what he started in NRL grand final

Jarrod Croker has watched them come and go.

"My memories from back then are a bit hazy," Croker says of his NYC Premiership. "It was a good party afterwards, but maybe I did take it for granted. It's 11 years now. I've got lifelong friends from that team, and that's what we've got now as well.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Is the 'Mean Green Machine' the best Raiders anthem?

There was once a gentler Raiders anthem. No doubt the lines of "The Mighty Green Machine" will roar out in Sydney on Sunday. But some will remember a softer time. The original anthem was much less aggressive.

"We are the Canberra Raiders," as the original anthem was called, was written by Jeff Gallimore who played in a popular Canberra folk band called Saga.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

28-hour drives and Cowboys reality check spurring on Raiders rookie, Corey Horsburgh

Rick Horsburgh has happily pulled 28-hour round trips this year to catch most every moment of his son's debut NRL season.

"Dad hasn't missed many games at all this year, he's my No.1 supporter and he loves it all," Horsburgh says. "Whatever's the cheaper option. If it's expensive to fly he'll drive and if the petrol adds up he'll catch a bus. Whatever it takes he gets there.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/05/28- ... rs-rookie/

Hard yards: Grand final will be decided by inspirational leaders
Mal Meninga

The spiritual leaders for the Roosters and Raiders will shoulder a lot of responsibility in Sunday's grand final, which they love. Josh Papalii and Sio Soliola for Canberra, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Boyd Cordner for the Roosters.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/05/har ... l-leaders/

How Canberra's success could hurt Kangaroos: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/05/how ... kangaroos/

VIDEO: Croker praises calm Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/03/cro ... lm-stuart/

VIDEO: The art of the steal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/03/rai ... the-steal/

Top 10 Raiders V Roosters clashes: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/05/top ... s-clashes/

The Viking clap's origin, and the marketing that got the Canberra Raiders' mojo back: https://ab.co/359iDs0

NRL Grand Final teams: Canberra Raiders star ‘100 per cent’ ready

Canberra looks likely to line up as named in their grand final clash with the Roosters on Sunday. Star centre Joey Leilua and backrower John Bateman have both been cleared fit to play in the big dance.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3b75810422

Raiders star Joey Leilua’s nine-year wait for Grand Final redemption:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cc9df57424

The roads less travelled that brought Rapana and Nicoll-Klokstad to the Raiders: http://ow.ly/goAI50wBdyD

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders assistant coach Andrew McFadden says Green Machine stars fit for Grand Final: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... -gf!749738

#NRL #NRLGF #WeAreRaiders
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

pickles wrote: October 4, 2019, 4:06 pm I am absolutely thrilled to bring you the grand final edition of Pickman's Nickman. And for this edition we dig into the back story of the people's favourite, Nancy Nickman.

There has been conjecture that Nancy Nickman was just a random picture from the internet but this is patently incorrect! Nancy was born in Queanbeyan in 1972 where she was known by her maiden name of O'Rourke. Her father Colin O'Rourke was the coach of the Queanbeyan Blues in the early 80's and went on to play a significant role in the establishment of the Canberra Raiders when they entered the competition.

As an impressionable 10 year old Nancy O'Rourke, having grown up around rugby league, became an instant fan of the Canberra Raiders and would certainly be in the running for the first ever raiders fan.

While the formative years of the club were difficult and the club was often labelled as the Faders or the lime splices this had no impact on her love for the team but interestingly, lime splices became Nancy's favourite drink in 1989 when although underage, she snuck into the Queanbeyan Leagues club to watch the inaugural Raiders grand final win and join in the festivities.

After enjoying the success of the Raiders through the early 90's and completing a Bachelor of Economics and Commerce at the ANU Nancy moved to The USA where she completed her masters in international economics at Harvard University. It was during the completion of this degree that she met her husband to be Nicholas Nickman Jr and after a short courtship they were married. It is rumoured that the something old Nancy wore on her wedding day were her Raiders undies that she had also been wearing when the Raiders won the 1989 grand final.

After her wedding she made a career change and completed a PhD in Pharmacy and moved to the University of Utah where she works to this day, still maintaining a passion for the **** MILK!

I never knew Nancy, but I did know her father, Col. He was a real scallywag in the league community around Canberra back in the seventies and coached a few clubs. He originally came up through the Canterbury system such as it was in those days, was a very clever player and tactician and a real character.

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Cranky Old Man wrote: October 5, 2019, 1:20 pm
pickles wrote: October 4, 2019, 4:06 pm I am absolutely thrilled to bring you the grand final edition of Pickman's Nickman. And for this edition we dig into the back story of the people's favourite, Nancy Nickman.

There has been conjecture that Nancy Nickman was just a random picture from the internet but this is patently incorrect! Nancy was born in Queanbeyan in 1972 where she was known by her maiden name of O'Rourke. Her father Colin O'Rourke was the coach of the Queanbeyan Blues in the early 80's and went on to play a significant role in the establishment of the Canberra Raiders when they entered the competition.

As an impressionable 10 year old Nancy O'Rourke, having grown up around rugby league, became an instant fan of the Canberra Raiders and would certainly be in the running for the first ever raiders fan.

While the formative years of the club were difficult and the club was often labelled as the Faders or the lime splices this had no impact on her love for the team but interestingly, lime splices became Nancy's favourite drink in 1989 when although underage, she snuck into the Queanbeyan Leagues club to watch the inaugural Raiders grand final win and join in the festivities.

After enjoying the success of the Raiders through the early 90's and completing a Bachelor of Economics and Commerce at the ANU Nancy moved to The USA where she completed her masters in international economics at Harvard University. It was during the completion of this degree that she met her husband to be Nicholas Nickman Jr and after a short courtship they were married. It is rumoured that the something old Nancy wore on her wedding day were her Raiders undies that she had also been wearing when the Raiders won the 1989 grand final.

After her wedding she made a career change and completed a PhD in Pharmacy and moved to the University of Utah where she works to this day, still maintaining a passion for the **** MILK!

I never knew Nancy, but I did know her father, Col. He was a real scallywag in the league community around Canberra back in the seventies and coached a few clubs. He originally came up through the Canterbury system such as it was in those days, was a very clever player and tactician and a real character.

Sure its not Lazzo?
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

John Bateman sounds like he still has a very heavy head cold going by the clip of him in the Raiders Insta account. Flu pills and Canberra Milk for him!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Where can I get an
Up the **** MILK t shirt ?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

KasparRaider wrote:John Bateman sounds like he still has a very heavy head cold going by the clip of him in the Raiders Insta account. Flu pills and Canberra Milk for him!
It’s a nasty flu going round at the moment. Hodgson and Bateman having had a virus is pretty concerning Image