2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by luffraider »

Lockyer was quoted in an article saying George Williams is a dynamic player and could play centres if required.

Seriously some of these former footy players are brain damaged
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by Neeeegz »

EJ wrote:If he was concussed can we give him another before we run out on Sunday. He went next level

I personally don't believe he was concussed. You can get a bit dizzy for a few secs from a knock and shake it off without being concussed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Get Mike Tyson in for an uppercut as the Viking clap starts

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:
Woodgers wrote: October 1, 2019, 1:25 pm Hodgo will be playing, no doubt about it. Be interesting to see if Havili is on the bench though, just between you and me smashed hat, he has a Steve Jackson try in him the way he bounces off tacklers.
I'd actually have Havili in front of Lui now. Havili can easily play a middle forward role if Hodgo plays 80 minutes, and unfortunately for Lui, errors have started to creep into his game.

I'd also carry Simonsson, Guler and Horsburgh on the bench.
Agree, hate to say it

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

IBG wrote:Given recent events my bench is:

14. Simonsson
15. Havili
16. Horsburgh
17. Lui

This covers for every potential scenario.

Havili runs just as hard as a prop and can play in the middle.

Papa will be playing big minutes again and Tapine can extend too.

We only need two genuine props on the bench. Guler only gets 10 minutes stints anyway it's not like he's crucial to our success.

I feel like if we're to beat the Roosters we need to throw it around a bit and Havili's offloads will help.
Yes, gives our attack another dimension

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Just on some of the discussion from earlier today about the roosters side. I can’t see them playing Friend. There’s absolutely no way he’d drop a forward off the bench for him when both Radley and Aubusson cover 9 (and the backs) pretty well.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Havilii has been great but he has been found out defensively occasionally. I think he puts a lot of effort into his runs and can become gassed in the defensive line. His defence at marker has been caught out a few times this season. This is why Lui is ahead of him at the moment.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i was talking to the Rickman earlier saying i'd have Sutton over Lui... but i can also see some value in Havilii there too

in limited minutes, and i think that's all that will asked of our 4th middle (which is the role Havilii would play so long as Hodgson wasnt hurt in game) i think Havilii would be and has been a good impact middle... and the added value of giving us a servicable option at hooker is good

but the other side of that is... we're a rank outside here, we're going to need to be at our best to win this and if Hodgson is hurt, does Havilii save the day? I would say probably not. If Hodgson or the halves get hurt, i would say lady luck was not with us on that day and the result is what it is... i favour playing a high ceiling team over raising our floor.

Which is why id have Havilii or Sutton over Lui... i think they're both more dynamic and the more i think about it, the more i like Havilii... He's proven to be the sort of player who can come on, and bulldoze his way into creating something. That might be pretty useful... i wouldnt select him on the basis of covering Hodgson... I dont think you go into GF's looking to try and cover loses like that.
Last edited by Botman on October 1, 2019, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Raiders666 wrote:The fact that we he only been beaten by more than 6 points this year gives me great hope in this game..The biggest worry for mine lies in the battle of the halves.
Let's hope they can find some composure this week because we are going to need it...
The defense is what has got us this far but our attack has been clunky as all hell and most our tries have been very lucky. Just hope our luck continues.
If your forwards dominate and your line speed is good, halves are taken out of the game pretty much

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dean Ritchie on NRL 360 said based on betting odds we would be the biggest upset since 1965. There's plenty of ammunition for Sticky to play the underdog card.

Being realistic though, we fans shouldn't underestimate the task ahead.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Northern Raider wrote: October 1, 2019, 9:42 pm Dean Ritchie on NRL 360 said based on betting odds we would be the biggest upset since 1965. There's plenty of ammunition for Sticky to play the underdog card.

I am pretty sure Stuart is behind a lot of this exaggerated hype behind the Roosters (both Ritchie and Kent are close to him). The betting is not too dissimilar from us against Souths.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

TongueFTW wrote: October 1, 2019, 9:47 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 1, 2019, 9:42 pm Dean Ritchie on NRL 360 said based on betting odds we would be the biggest upset since 1965. There's plenty of ammunition for Sticky to play the underdog card.

I am pretty sure Stuart is behind a lot of this exaggerated hype behind the Roosters (both Ritchie and Kent are close to him). The betting is not too dissimilar from us against Souths.
We were $1.65 favourites against Souths. We're $3.30 underdogs on Sunday.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preview of Big League Grand Final cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Northern Raider wrote: October 1, 2019, 9:53 pm
TongueFTW wrote: October 1, 2019, 9:47 pm

We were $1.65 favourites against Souths. We're $3.30 underdogs on Sunday.
I mean with us in the role of favourites. We were around 1.40 on Betfair against Souths which is what the Roosters are at the moment. My point is it isn’t that extreme and unprecedented in a finals game.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Gosh, some of you are being downright awful to Lui, who has done a superb job for us this year.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Will be fine. Turnip head says we will be a shoe in to win
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Neeeegz wrote: October 1, 2019, 9:37 pm
Raiders666 wrote:The fact that we he only been beaten by more than 6 points this year gives me great hope in this game..The biggest worry for mine lies in the battle of the halves.
Let's hope they can find some composure this week because we are going to need it...
The defense is what has got us this far but our attack has been clunky as all hell and most our tries have been very lucky. Just hope our luck continues.
If your forwards dominate and your line speed is good, halves are taken out of the game pretty much

Maybe....They still need to distribute and make the right options.. Even more important is the kicking game. Not sure I've seen the Roosters kick out on the full as much as we do.
I just hope the boys play a little more calm than they did against the Bunnies
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

PigRickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 9:36 pm Yeah i was talking to the Rickman earlier saying i'd have Sutton over Lui... but i can also see some value in Havilii there too

in limited minutes, and i think that's all that will asked of our 4th middle (which is the role Havilii would play so long as Hodgson wasnt hurt in game) i think Havilii would be and has been a good impact middle... and the added value of giving us a servicable option at hooker is good

but the other side of that is... we're a rank outside here, we're going to need to be at our best to win this and if Hodgson is hurt, does Havilii save the day? I would say probably not. If Hodgson or the halves get hurt, i would say lady luck was not with us on that day and the result is what it is... i favour playing a high ceiling team over raising our floor.

Which is why id have Havilii or Sutton over Lui... i think they're both more dynamic and the more i think about it, the more i like Havilii... He's proven to be the sort of player who can come on, and bulldoze his way into creating something. That might be pretty useful... i wouldnt select him on the basis of covering Hodgson... I dont think you go into GF's looking to try and cover loses like that.
I think it would be a mountain but I don't think it is unattainable to win if Hodgo went down and Havili stepped in at some point. I've been saying forever and a day, I think the big middles prefer playing with Havili at dummy half, you're just steaming onto the ball, you're not trying to guess what the dummy half might do and how many times he circles around before passing it to you. It's a different dynamic which i've been talking about since Baptiste days. There is something said for a simple dummy half if you're a big middle. The further options suffer obviously but I don't think it is a done deal. Havili is not a rubbish player, he's at least serviceable.

You blokes are probably convincing me either way, play him as a point of different and a bit more mobility and ball play.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I think the 'problem' with Lui is that when the physicality of the game kicks up as few gears, as it always does in finals, he's too prone to getting dominated due to his lack of power.

It works fine when he's playing in the lower intensity of a regular season match where players aren't looking to belt you into next week on every single play. No doubt he's been a solid performer this season but I think Stick may have made the wrong choice here.

As for Havili, the primary reason he plays is to provide that cover for Hodgo IMO. If it's a straight middle forward swap Sutton wins every day of the week and twice on Grand Final day,
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Billy Walker wrote: October 1, 2019, 7:43 pm Ugly story breaking about Bateman’s contract talks. Seems his new agent is doing him no favours! Hopefully the headlines won’t be a distraction.
His new agent is a knob of the highest order. There is a few of them (Sezer, BJ, JB) up in the air for next year. It won't prove a distraction this week though.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

agreed, also errors have recently crept back into his game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Boomercm wrote: October 1, 2019, 10:15 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 1, 2019, 7:43 pm Ugly story breaking about Bateman’s contract talks. Seems his new agent is doing him no favours! Hopefully the headlines won’t be a distraction.
His new agent is a knob of the highest order. There is a few of them (Sezer, BJ, JB) up in the air for next year. It won't prove a distraction this week though.
I think JB has thrown cold water on it which is great. At the end of the day even if it was true and terrible it isn’t like it would make Papa decide to run any less harder or Jack decide he want a premiership ring any less. We are going into a GF virtually injury free with no judiciary issues to resolve- it’s all gravy!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I do love gravy...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Warlord
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Garyyyy BELCHER

Post by Warlord »

Billy Walker wrote: October 1, 2019, 10:27 pm
Boomercm wrote: October 1, 2019, 10:15 pm
I think JB has thrown cold water on it which is great. At the end of the day even if it was true and terrible it isn’t like it would make Papa decide to run any less harder or Jack decide he want a premiership ring any less. We are going into a GF virtually injury free with no judiciary issues to resolve- it’s all gravy!!
You've done a brilliant job of assuaging my fears here - been having minor palpitations over losing JB!
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote:Image

Is it still Thursday it goes on sale or early this week?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

afgtnk wrote: October 1, 2019, 10:12 pm If it's a straight middle forward swap Sutton wins every day of the week and twice on Grand Final day,
Except that Sutton hasn't played for a couple of weeks. That's a big deal.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Dunno if that is a massive deal if you're asking him for 2 x 10 minutes in a GF packed with adrenaline. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been priming him for it.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I like the idea of Havili on the bench, not just as coverage for Hodgo, but for the shock value of playing Havili at 9 and Hodgo as first receiver at some point in the game. I think this structure worked wonders in attack when we had Baptiste coming off the bench, but we haven't seen Hodgson at 7 for ages.

I dunno, carrying three props in Guler, Horsburgh and Lui on the bench seems a bit of an overkill. In a game where you might want to throw the dice I'd look at a bench of Simonsson, Havili, Red Rage and Lui (or Guler). Tapine can easily play more minutes in the middle than he has been.

Our attack has been as clunky as anything all season - why not throw something different at the Roosters for 15-20 mins if we are chasing points?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

One advantage that Lui does have over Guler is that we know he can knock out decent minutes if he needs to and maintain the quality. I think Ricky like Guler as a big body and that has been necessary against the Bunnies and Storm packs.

Sutton probably looks better when he plays more minutes and with our current team that might work against him.

The reality this week is that some quality players who have made a massive contribution to the season are going to miss out this week and I genuinely feel for them. It really takes a squad to get this far.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

1965 was St.George v South Sydney with more than 78,000 watching at the SCG. St.George won their 10th straight title. I don't know what Dean Ritchie is talking about regarding 1965.

1969 was a boil over with Balmain beating Souths in the Grand Final. I remember watching it and it was the longest Rugby League game ever. Everytime the Rabbitohs got a run on, a Balmain player would go down and the game would stop. I think we saw the same tactics when the Chooks got us by 4 points in Rd 21 this year. The trainers now control the game in that they signal an injury to a player and the game stops. It breaks the momentum of the attacking team when the defending team constantly has players going to ground. As we saw in Rd 21 this year some of the players were 40-50 meters from the action but still the play was brought to a halt. Robinsons Momentum Killer Tactics. Amazing that a squirt of the miracle water saw the Chook players on their feet and playing 'as if' nothing had happened.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

cat wrote: October 1, 2019, 11:07 pm
greeneyed wrote:Image

Is it still Thursday it goes on sale or early this week?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
And will it be $9.95
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 2, 2019, 2:42 am I like the idea of Havili on the bench, not just as coverage for Hodgo, but for the shock value of playing Havili at 9 and Hodgo as first receiver at some point in the game. I think this structure worked wonders in attack when we had Baptiste coming off the bench, but we haven't seen Hodgson at 7 for ages.

I dunno, carrying three props in Guler, Horsburgh and Lui on the bench seems a bit of an overkill. In a game where you might want to throw the dice I'd look at a bench of Simonsson, Havili, Red Rage and Lui (or Guler). Tapine can easily play more minutes in the middle than he has been.

Our attack has been as clunky as anything all season - why not throw something different at the Roosters for 15-20 mins if we are chasing points?
yea that was something I was thinking too, if we're chasing points and our attack isn't working this is something you might want to have up as an option.
I'm just not sure you change a team at all that's got you to this point though, interesting debate
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: October 2, 2019, 5:30 am

1965 was St.George v South Sydney with more than 78,000 watching at the SCG. St.George won their 10th straight title. I don't know what Dean Ritchie is talking about regarding 1965.

1969 was a boil over with Balmain beating Souths in the Grand Final. I remember watching it and it was the longest Rugby League game ever. Everytime the Rabbitohs got a run on, a Balmain player would go down and the game would stop. I think we saw the same tactics when the Chooks got us by 4 points in Rd 21 this year. The trainers now control the game in that they signal an injury to a player and the game stops. It breaks the momentum of the attacking team when the defending team constantly has players going to ground. As we saw in Rd 21 this year some of the players were 40-50 meters from the action but still the play was brought to a halt. Robinsons Momentum Killer Tactics. Amazing that a squirt of the miracle water saw the Chook players on their feet and playing 'as if' nothing had happened.
He may have got the wrong year or more likely I didn't hear it right.

1969 = the famous Balmain Flop. That premiership was all the talk back in 1989 with many saying the 20 year cycle was an omen of a Tigers win. Raiders caused a big upset that day too. Anybody know what the betting market was back then? My Sportsbet account wasn't active. :)
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

So this is how I see it.

If you look at the last 10 years of Grand Finals it’s not the best attacking team or the team with the best set plays, the glamour players or who executes best.

It’s the team who defends best, scraps for everything and captures moments which win Grand Finals. If you look at how we played this year this is what we do. We defend hard and we are opportunitists who capitalise on moments. We have the formula to win this grand final and being an underdog is just the way I like it.

We are the quiet achievers, the scrappers, we’re awkward to play, we are the round pegs in the square hole. We are Raiders!

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

I love the way that we are being totally written off by the Sydney media. I just read an article that describes the Roosters forward pack as the most feared pack in the game. Really? I get the wraps on their young players but how does a pack containing Radley, Aubusson, Verrills and Liu be better than a forward pack that contains six international reps (acknolwedging that Sia is a former international)? I sense that people are seeing what they want to see and not actually stopping to look at the facts. The Raiders have 7 internationals and 2 state of origin reps running out on Sunday that is not bad.

Dean Ritchie is the only one I have heard this week pick up on this. Last night on NRL360 when the usual conversation was going on about the Rooster by how far he highlighted that the entire Canberra forward pack are Internationals and this is not going to be the walk over that people think it is.

Bring it on!
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... cd0430f9d7

Has anyone else posted this article from Daily Telegraph Nick Campton?
Probably the best article ever written. Pretty much every person on this forum would be feeling these words more than anyone outside of the Raiders could ever imagine.