All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Azza »

The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 4:30 pm
Azza wrote: October 1, 2019, 4:25 pm
The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 4:12 pm We're going to win this, I honestly can't see how we don't.
Do elaborate.
I just looked at those two lineups and thought "we've got this."

Banana head.
I love you. Idiot.

But seriously, putting forth a cogent argument as to why it's such a certainty in your googly eyes would be helpful in understanding what goes on in that turnip head of yours.
Last edited by Azza on October 1, 2019, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

We are exActly where we want to be.

If We get a little bit more ball, our attack clicks and we will spring the upset and send us all into absolute dreamland.
Up The Milk
TheMarauder
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by TheMarauder »

We'll probably need to chance our arm with some 2016-2018 Raiderball action at times, give the fowl a few looks they'll not have expected...
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah I'm definitely expecting the unexpected from the team. We need to surprise the Rooters early.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd have Sutton in for Lui... but that's probably just me!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The fact that we he only been beaten by more than 6 points this year gives me great hope in this game..The biggest worry for mine lies in the battle of the halves.
Let's hope they can find some composure this week because we are going to need it...
The defense is what has got us this far but our attack has been clunky as all hell and most our tries have been very lucky. Just hope our luck continues.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A Canberra Raiders team list Tuesday in October !!

Who would've funkd it ??
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
TheMarauder
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by TheMarauder »

Azza wrote: October 1, 2019, 4:49 pm Yeah I'm definitely expecting the unexpected from the team. We need to surprise the Rooters early.
I'd say Ricky's all over it. Melbourne do the conventional attack thing with more consistency than most throughout games and weren't able to cause Easts much trouble. Bit of Leipana madness and the like will do nicely!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hypothetical time. We get an injury in the halves or hooker. Who goes where?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I think the answer to both questions is Bateman. Tapine moves to the edge, with the three on the bench covering the middle.
shuuraider
Brett Mullins

Post by shuuraider »

Northern Raider wrote: October 1, 2019, 5:32 pm Hypothetical time. We get an injury in the halves or hooker. Who goes where?
****, please think positive, now Hodgo's got a virus. Thanks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:Hypothetical time. We get an injury in the halves or hooker. Who goes where?
I reckon Bateman covers either

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bateman would be the logical one. We've played Whitehead in the halves previously and he went OK. Either could slot in there if Sezer or Wighton went down.

We got pretty close to seeing it happen last week. Hodgo must have been close to going for a HIA then hurt himself stopping the Walker try. We also saw Jack go down with what looked like a popped shoulder at first.

It's not a great situation either way. One of the reasons I like Havili on the bench.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I wouldn't be suprised to see two multi positional players (e.g. a guy who can play centre and edge forward well, or a guy who plays both hooker and halves) start to be used on the bench by teams from next year onwards if they have them, given the increasing impact the HIA rules have had.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders Grand Final fever amped up today, with members invited to the Green Machine's training session at Canberra Stadium! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/mb2U50wxUsO

#NRL #NRLGF #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I think that is our strongest team and the chooks are at full strength bar friend who still could play. That would be a risk given how little football he has had this year.

On paper they are stronger in the spine but not by a massive amount. Tedesco is the best fullback in the game so doesn’t matter how good CNK has been going. Hodgson is a clear winner and Cronk is easily the better half but I reckon Wighton and Keary even each other out.

Both packs are strong and either could get on top on the day.

Outside backs are very different. Both have X factor but in different ways and it will come down to whoever uses there’s better.

I can see this going right down to the wire and wouldn’t be surprised if there are less than 20 pints in the whole game. The ruck will be slow which makes attack hard for both teams.

There’s at least a dozen players across the teams that could win this one for either team and t will depend who stands up on the day. I’m nervous as hell already, I’ll be a jibbering heap by kick off!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: October 1, 2019, 6:11 pm I wouldn't be suprised to see two multi positional players (e.g. a guy who can play centre and edge forward well, or a guy who plays both hooker and halves) start to be used on the bench by teams from next year onwards if they have them, given the increasing impact the HIA rules have had.
Agree. The approach of 4 middles rotating is almost dead now. Need at least one multidimensional player on the bench.

Roosters have Aubusson with Crichton covering him on the bench. Radley gives them cover at dummy half. We don't have the same versatility.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

pickles wrote: October 1, 2019, 6:13 pm I think that is our strongest team and the chooks are at full strength bar friend who still could play. That would be a risk given how little football he has had this year.

On paper they are stronger in the spine but not by a massive amount. Tedesco is the best fullback in the game so doesn’t matter how good CNK has been going. Hodgson is a clear winner and Cronk is easily the better half but I reckon Wighton and Keary even each other out.

Outside backs are very different. Both have X factor but in different ways and it will come down to whoever uses there’s better.

I can see this going right down to the wire and wouldn’t be surprised if there are less than 20 pints in the whole game. The ruck will be slow which makes attack hard for both teams.

There’s at least a dozen players across the teams that could win this one for either team and t will depend who stands up on the day. I’m nervous as hell already, I’ll be a jibbering heap by kick off!
There's a genuine reason we're $3.30 outsiders. Roosters have a better team and the GF experience. Not saying we can't beat them. It's just going to be a very tough job.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
afgtnk wrote: October 1, 2019, 6:11 pm I wouldn't be suprised to see two multi positional players (e.g. a guy who can play centre and edge forward well, or a guy who plays both hooker and halves) start to be used on the bench by teams from next year onwards if they have them, given the increasing impact the HIA rules have had.
Agree. The approach of 4 middles rotating is almost dead now. Need at least one multidimensional player on the bench.

Roosters have Aubusson with Crichton covering him on the bench. Radley gives them cover at dummy half. We don't have the same versatility.
That’s why I’d go with Simonsson/Havili/Guler/Horsburgh

You can cover all positions, cover them all very well (not just stopgaps) and you still have three running forwards.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 6:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

You can cover all positions, cover them all very well (not just stopgaps) and you still have three running forwards.
Yep. With Paps playing longer minutes we can use Havili during his short spell and it also gives us cover at hooker, which in turn gives us cover for the halves as Hodgo can shift there. Horse and Guler for the middle rotation. Tapine can move to the edge of needed.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 4:12 pm We're going to win this, I honestly can't see how we don't.
Praise be to Nickmanism.

I’m on board - come join me :welcome:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

pickles wrote: October 1, 2019, 6:13 pm I think that is our strongest team and the chooks are at full strength bar friend who still could play. That would be a risk given how little football he has had this year.

There will be more than 20 pints here if we snare the premiership!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: October 1, 2019, 5:18 pm I'd have Sutton in for Lui... but that's probably just me!
I'd have Sutton in my 17 too but for Guler.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 1, 2019, 5:18 pm I'd have Sutton in for Lui... but that's probably just me!
Yeah that’s the only changed I’d consider making
And I’m not sure I would make it

That’s a good team, it can win this game.

Why the **** not us?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The moment the Canberra Raiders put on their NRL grand final jerseys

Dunamis Lui had to stop and take a breath the moment he saw those words. NRL grand final. October 6th 2019. Canberra Raiders v Sydney Roosters.

"Man, when I was putting it on I noticed it and I got goosebumps," Lui said. "It's beginning to become real. It's my 10th year and it is my first time playing in a grand final.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Canberra Raiders grand final mayhem: Thousands of fans line up to watch training

They came from everywhere and lined the streets around Canberra Stadium as if they were waiting to watch the grand final.

Canberra Raiders mayhem hit new levels on Tuesday morning when more than 2000 mad Green Machine fans queued at the gates just to watch the players train.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders name Joey Leilua for NRL grand final against Sydney Roosters

It's going to take much more than a hammer to the leg to keep Joey Leilua out of the biggest game of the year.

"It's probably 70 to 80 per cent today, it should be fine for Sunday. It will be 100 per cent, I'm not worried about anything," Leilua said. "The only thing I'm worried about is getting this calf right and focusing on the job on Sunday.

Leilua declares fitness for NRL decider: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

Suspended Raider Hudson Young helping Canberra keep eyes on prize

Suspended Raider Hudson Young is doing his best to help prepare his Canberra teammates for a grand final he is suspended for, even playing the role of Roosters captain Boyd Cordner during an opposed session on Tuesday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

Aidan Sezer's rollercoaster ride ends with NRL grand final appearance

Injuries, forced to bide his time in reserve grade - this season's been a rollercoaster ride for Canberra Raiders halfback Aidan Sezer.

"It's awesome mate. It's a rollercoaster and for the year to culminate in a grand-final appearance is something I believed this squad could do," Sezer said. "When I came back into the team after the injury I was well aware what we could do and you see the belief in the boys next to you.

Sia Soliola driven by Canberra Raiders community

Ask Sia Soliola why he spends most Monday mornings serving breakfast at a soup kitchen and his answer is simple.

"When I'm playing for the Canberra Raiders, I know in depth what it's really about in terms of tradition, who was here before us, and who we're playing for," the beloved veteran said.

The night Victor the Viking lost his head with joy

For 37 years of having what he describes as "the best seat in the house", only once before had Tony Wood veered from unspoken rule number two of being a sporting mascot: never remove your head in front of your footballing public.

Canberra Raiders final home game saw many fewer fans fined for parking illegally: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

Canberra fans invading Sydney NRL decider: Don Furner: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-f ... b4ff8c13f4

Bring on Roosters enforcer in Grand Final: Papalii: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/bring-on-r ... ba29341113

Josh Hodgson quarantined from teammates with virus before Grand Final: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-st ... c1682f4081

Hodgson may be quarantined from teammates ahead of Grand Final: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/hod ... ead-of-gf/

Raiders move to replace grand final halfback Aidan Sezer questioned by greats: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... 8c682e5947

Soliola in NRL grand final after 15 years: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/soliola-in ... 63bea9f2eb

Raiders halfback Aidan Sezer poised to leave NRL after grand final: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-c ... ccc544656e

Raiders relaxed ahead of NRL grand final: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-re ... 470272b5fa

How Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart beat Sydney Roosters and ex-Raider to snare Josh Hodgson

Ricky Stuart was sizing up Josh Hodgson for the lime green No.9 jersey for two years before finally bringing him to Australia.

“I knew the Roosters were keen on signing him and I spoke to Trent Robinson about him a couple of times and Robbo was keen on signing him before he went to Canberra," Justin Morgan said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/how ... e-hodgson/

'Like throwing a hammer at my leg': Leilua explains latest bizarre injury

Joey Leilua felt as though "someone was throwing a hammer at my leg", and he was tempted to deck Canberra's orange shirt trainer as he battled the burst blood vessel that briefly threatened his grand final berth.

"It looked like a big egg so I was trying to cover it [up] so no-one could see," Leilua said, recalling his nervous moments on the sidelines last Friday night with the Raiders holding a tight 10-6 lead.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/thr ... re-injury/

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/lei ... in-my-leg/

Sydney Roosters say that Canberra Raiders one-on-one steal tactics are 'not our go': https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/not ... game-plan/

Added class will lift Roosters over Raiders says Craig Wing: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/add ... r-raiders/

VIDEO: Aidan Sezer hoping to seal career year with a premiership: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/sez ... emiership/

Inside the Raiders revolution: 1-17 secrets of building the Green Machine

Canberra's grand final return has been 25 years in the making.

The roster rebuild that's got them there - just as much work, with helping hands from CEO Don Furner, his brother and former coach David, recruitment staff, assistant coaches and scouts from all over.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... n-machine/

All aboard the Raiders bandwagon: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... bandwagon/

Harbour Bridge lit up in grand final week: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... inal-week/

Sezer hoping to seal career year with a premiership: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... emiership/
Warlord
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Garyyyy BELCHER

Post by Warlord »

Kryptonite wrote: October 1, 2019, 6:58 pm

There will be more than 20 pints here if we snare the premiership!
Hear, hear! 🍻
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 6:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

I'm not going to argue with it and i'd take it. It would be so harsh on Lui but you get this far and you have to make those calls to win. I think Sticky may want Lui there with Horse to take on Taukeiaho, he won't want to leave that to just the rookies as it is a massive risk. There is a fair suspicion in my mind that Ricky has been either nursing Sutton or holding him back for that clash with Taukeiaho and trusted Guler to get us this far. I understand that this may sound absurd because obviously you play your best team to get as far as you can, but Guler is more suited to some games than Sutton at this stage and vice versa.

One thing i've been fixated on since magic round when we played them was what was the plan that day for Simonsson before Rapana did his knee? There is something there that we've been looking at and I think we've trained for scenarios where Hodgo isn't the dummy half and neither is Havili. Or Hodgson is either sharing or bringing Bailey into the tired forwards with fast footwork. There has always been more to the Simonsson #14 than covering outside backs, because you look at our back row and we're probably the most equipped team in the comp to chuck a 2nd rower in the centres and shift the 3/4 I wide and go on like normal.

We need something different, and I look forward to seeing if we just turn up with the same plan or we've been planning to beat the benchmark all season.

My absolute #1 thing I want us to show attention to is pressuring their kick, and helping our kickers have the best path to win some ground. It is extremely hard against them to win this battle so anything we can do to bring it back to close to parity is a big deal.

I agree with Rooster being favourites and they should be but i'm not going there contemplating a loss. I'm expecting a win and i'm prepared for the mental fallout if that doesn't happen but i'll deal with that then and i'm not even entertaining it this week. I'm enjoying it so much and I give us a chance.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

How’s bulldog Richie saying if we win it will be the biggest upset since Balmain won 50 years ago.... ouch!

I reckon we are a huge show!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Absolute bulldust, and if you consider our clashes this year and we're expected to have the crowd I don't think that's anywhere near accurate but absolutely where we want to be leading into Sunday.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Ugly story breaking about Bateman’s contract talks. Seems his new agent is doing him no favours! Hopefully the headlines won’t be a distraction.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Bateman! OMG the **** has hit social media like a bombshell
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

You couldn't wait a week, Johnny?
$400, 000 not enough to play footy, Johnny?

Watch him sign for Roosters....
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

They said he is sponsored by one of Uncle Nicks
Car yards... Not good
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

If I was in the Chooks brains trust I would target Hodgo with and without the ball. He is the key to our play making. For this reason I think having Havili in the side is essential. No he doesn't have the vision of Hodgo, but he is a very good passer of the football to the left or right, he will go from dummy half and make ground, as a backrower he will make ground. Defensively he is FG quality. I think he is both a FG quality hooker and back rower. Having him in the side means we don't have to shuffle JB away from his best spot. Havili has played International football so is more used to pressure. I would have him in for Guler. Guler has size but is inexperienced. We have moved away from size to our benefit this year. Why would we want to change that in a Grand Final?? Red Said.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

This may be the holy grail of smokescreens

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk