2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by Billy Walker »

Rads1984 wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:00 pm We need 3-4 moments of brilliance.

1. A Bateman hit and spin on their try line resulting in a try. Either Bateman try or CNK trailing through.
2. Leilua magic flick pass for Rapana try.
3. Wighton running like a man possessed to score in the corner.
4. Croker to score from a well-placed Sezer bomb.

Raiders 22- Roosters 18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think if the defence is solid, the attack will find a way. This Raiders team aren’t the entertainers of the 90’s with slick attacking moves and guys like Nagas, Mullins, Chicka or Noa who can streak away from anywhere. This team are tough scrappy defenders that fight for everything and take the half chances. Our first two tries against the Rabbits were very opportunistic. Some of our best tries this year have involved freaky soccer skills and could hardly be described as set plays. I just want to see the boys aim up in defence like they have all year and turn it into a tough scrap - the points will come from somewhere.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I just want to see us prove Philip Gould wrong.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Am I right in thinking this is only live on Ch9?

We only get those guys for Origin and the rest of the games are from Fox. Love Ray Warren's voice, but he's not as perceptive as Vossy.

Who'll be in the box with him?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Latest forecast for Parramatta for Sunday is 35 degrees. Obviously won’t be anywhere near as hot as that at kickoff but only getting down to 17 overnight so will be a warm evening.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

MrPosh wrote: October 1, 2019, 7:19 am Am I right in thinking this is only live on Ch9?

We only get those guys for Origin and the rest of the games are from Fox. Love Ray Warren's voice, but he's not as perceptive as Vossy.

Mate..

Your in for a treat..

There's a reason foxsports was born.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

You know we are in the grand final when the front page of the Daily Telegraph is a story about John Bateman driving a car from one of Nick Polites dealerships.

Also great photo of Dave Furner and his daughter from the 1994 Grand Final and then again yesterday. He still bleeds green.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I have this recurring image of John Bateman walking around the fence post game on Sunday with the Winfield Cup held high..CC around neck.

I just can't shake it...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 30, 2019, 10:15 pm Gus on 100% footy giving us pretty much no
Hope of getting the win on Sunday; roosters have to get it very wrong and we have to get it very right in order to be competitive.

Thoughts? Seems a bit harsh for mine. No one is saying we are favourites by any stretch but I think if our defence holds strong and we have a nice game in attack we will be right there in the game up to our eyeballs.
Phil Gould is a brain dead **** who should be completely disregarded and removed from rugby league and yet is somehow considered some kind of "cult hero" who is always right, even when he's really, really wrong.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Gus on 100% footy giving us pretty much no
Hope of getting the win on Sunday; roosters have to get it very wrong and we have to get it very right in order to be competitive.

Thoughts? Seems a bit harsh for mine. No one is saying we are favourites by any stretch but I think if our defence holds strong and we have a nice game in attack we will be right there in the game up to our eyeballs.
Even more sweater the victory will be. I love this stuff! Bring it!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Hear from former Canberra Raiders captain Terry Campese on the Raiders first Grand Final appearance in 25 years. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/OA3L50wxqsG

Grand Final week is well underway for the Canberra Raiders! Training session open to members Tuesday, farewell Wednesday, live site at Raiders Belconnen for Grand Final Day. WIN News Canberra reports. Video: http://ow.ly/p50Y50wxqOa

#NRL #NRLGF #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

LastRaider wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote:Gus on 100% footy giving us pretty much no

Even more sweater the victory will be. I love this stuff! Bring it!
I am sick if Gould and his merry band of yes men! Every time one his suggestions has been implemented to fix the game it has made it worse.

He paints himself as some kid of messiah but is only really comfortable sitting down the back throwing rocks without ever having the courage to step into a position where he could actually make a difference.

That said, let him talk down the raiders all he wants. The less pressure on us the better!
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

MrPosh wrote:Am I right in thinking this is only live on Ch9?

I would think you are right. Ray Warren was sensational for a very long time. Due to age He is unfortunately starting to lose his edge and as a result doesn’t do as many games. No doubt Phil should will be beside him. A lot of people hate Gould everything f he says has an agenda so if you can figure out what it is and ignore parts of what he says he is actually pretty interesting.

Billy Slater, Jonathon Thurston, Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns will all chime in with their two cents worth. All were sensational players but only Slater in my opinion can really articulate what they all can so easily see.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Phil Gould god tier troll :roflmao
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Our fans make me laugh - last week when Gus said the same thing about us against Souths (that we would have to get it very wrong to lose) and everyone was upset he was putting pressure on us, now he is saying the opposite for us against the Roosters and he is delusional (!). There is no doubt about it - the Roosters are deserved favourites, their salary cap "management" means their side is littered with internationals and talent. However, as I have said before - Robinson did not want to play us in this game. We have the sort of "variance" in our performance - with individuals like Leilua, Bateman and Rapana, with our one on one steals, and other unorthodox play that means we can cause an upset. As Red mentions - it is all about defence. Last year in the GF, the Storm were caught by the Roosters and their line speed/intensity, driving their forwards back. Start like that and put them in the trenches. The pressure really is all on the Roosters, they are the heaviest favourites I can remember in a Grand Final, and I think we can get the jump on them with a big start. I actually don't mind the tactic of trying to find the sideline and slowing the game down a bit. Bring them into a grind, kick to the corners and smash them. If we win the toss, kick off and take it to them from the first set.
Mariner
Peter Jackson

Post by Mariner »

edit
Last edited by Mariner on September 9, 2022, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

LastRaider wrote: September 30, 2019, 1:36 pm I’m not worried, I love it.

It’s a bit like the Sharks in 2016. Everyone wrote them off against the Storm and we all know who got the chocolates that day
I'm the same.
Just loving the build up and lapping it all up.
25 years...I'm taking my time this week!
I feel calm about the team too...not sure why at the moment.
Something about that photo of them all celebrating Bateman's birthday has put me in the right place. The boys look like real mates off the field.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 1, 2019, 9:04 am Phil Gould god tier troll :roflmao
This^

Who's listens to that clown anyway?
What expert isn't saying the Roosters start favourites..
I prefer the underdog status.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

RTW wrote: October 1, 2019, 8:37 am
MrPosh wrote:Am I right in thinking this is only live on Ch9?

I would think you are right. Ray Warren was sensational for a very long time. Due to age He is unfortunately starting to lose his edge and as a result doesn’t do as many games. No doubt Phil should will be beside him. A lot of people hate Gould everything f he says has an agenda so if you can figure out what it is and ignore parts of what he says he is actually pretty interesting.

Billy Slater, Jonathon Thurston, Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns will all chime in with their two cents worth. All were sensational players but only Slater in my opinion can really articulate what they all can so easily see.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Slater - for all the torment he put NSW through and the hate I had for him as a player, I tip my hat and say he is an amazing analyst.

He will make a terrific coach if he ever decided to do it.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ is jogging OK, so I guess looking very likely to play.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: October 1, 2019, 7:41 am I have this recurring image of John Bateman walking around the fence post game on Sunday with the Winfield Cup held high..CC around neck.

I just can't shake it...
I like where your head is at PJ.
BJ
Steve Walters

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by BJ »

Dunamis Lui just put Whitehead through for a try with a great ball in an opposed drill. Ricky very happy with the move.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

-PJ- wrote: October 1, 2019, 7:41 am I have this recurring image of John Bateman walking around the fence post game on Sunday with the Winfield Cup held high..CC around neck.

I just can't shake it...
I am seeing this too. It's happening!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Grand Final Late Mail: Hodgson misses training

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson sat out his team's first grand final week training run due to a virus.

Hodgson was kept away from teammates on Tuesday morning to ensure the illness does not spread through Ricky Stuart's playing group.
The English international will travel to Sydney as planned with the squad on Wednesday, with his lay-off considered a precaution.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/cas ... jury-news/
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It's all over. Roosters by 300.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: October 1, 2019, 11:08 am Grand Final Late Mail: Hodgson misses training

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson sat out his team's first grand final week training run due to a virus.

Hodgson was kept away from teammates on Tuesday morning to ensure the illness does not spread through Ricky Stuart's playing group.
The English international will travel to Sydney as planned with the squad on Wednesday, with his lay-off considered a precaution.

Worrying. I'm not going to voice my fears out loud here, but worrying.

Let's just pray it is what they're reporting it as.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Havilli heavily involved in the training session. This could be a disaster with BJ Mole reporting Hodgson looking pretty weak and crook.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

My money is that Hodgo has a sore shoulder form Friday and could use a rest.

Sticky trying to get on board the smokscreen wagon.

Besides - if our medical team can recuperate BJs neck as quickly as they did, getting rid of a virus in 6 days should be a breeze.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Hodgson will be right, we are still days away from the grand final. Doc will be there and probably have him on a drip to keep the fluids up.
Greenmachine91
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Greenmachine91 »

G'day,
Would anyone like 4 grand final tickets?
I bought 4 tickets in section 607 but my sister has terrible eye sight and wants closer seats.
I bought them for $300 each but would sell them for half that price
Let me know :)

Edit* never mind, sold thankfully
Last edited by Greenmachine91 on October 1, 2019, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Seriously... no way in hell hodgson won't play. Just hope he recovers quickly.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Hodgson will be fine, there's no doubt that he is battered and bruised from a tough season and the knock he took on his elbow looked painful but Hodgson is also the master of being seriously injured for a couple of minutes just before a goal line drop out needs to be taken and then making a miraculous recovery.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky is also having a bit of fun with Robinson and the media. There will be plenty of it from both coaches this week to try and gain any small advantage possible!
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

The Rickman wrote:
zim wrote: October 1, 2019, 11:08 am Grand Final Late Mail: Hodgson misses training

Worrying. I'm not going to voice my fears out loud here, but worrying.

Let's just pray it is what they're reporting it as.
He was with everyone last night. Sitting in the middle of the table.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Just heard ‘canberran’ Ben Cummins has the gig.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Coastalraider wrote: October 1, 2019, 12:26 pm Just heard ‘canberran’ Ben Cummins has the gig.
Correct.

No surprises that Cummins and Sutton are the refs but the fact Cummins is the lead ref I thought would have been a bit of a surprise.

Klein was obviously out of the picture after our game in Melb.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I'm not concerned about Hodgo. There's always stuff like that before big games.

Keary didn't train yesterday either.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.