Raiders express interest in NWRL entry

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders express interest in NWRL entry

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders express interest in entering National Women's Rugby League competition in 2021

The Canberra Raiders have plans to lodge a submission into the Holden Women's Premiership for the 2021 season after receiving an expression of interest from the NRL earlier this month.

"Yes, we are formulating a submission to enter a Raiders women's team for the 2021 season," Raiders CEO Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/24/rai ... rlw-entry/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Raiders express interest to lodge submission for NRLW entry

Post by The Nickman »

There ya go, Fergus. Whinge and win, old friend.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

For God’s sake please reword that headline - I got halfway through it and nearly fell of my chair picturing Matt Lodge in a green jumper.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Yes!! More entertainment on weekends!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

How about our own reserve grade first!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Forgive me, and I know I will burn in hell for this, and I know it's still early days and I know things will get better....

But in all the club level women's rugby league games I've seen so far, the standard has been somewhat below that I'd expect from a decent schoolboy's team.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Given your appreciation for amatuer union (that seems like an ironic thing to say) first grade womens rugby league will be a massive step up for ya ;)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I like that TR wasnt content to state his opposition to equality only once, that shows true commitment to his toxic masculinity cause.
For shame
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: September 25, 2019, 10:17 am I like that TR wasnt content to state his opposition to equality only once, that shows true commitment to his toxic masculinity cause.
For shame
Hahahaha classic TR behaviour. Before dubby gave it such a bad name.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: September 25, 2019, 10:17 am I like that TR wasnt content to state his opposition to equality only once, that shows true commitment to his toxic masculinity cause.
For shame
I absolutely support their right to play.

I just believe, all things considered and at this point in time, they are not terribly good at it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

T_R wrote: September 26, 2019, 7:30 am
The Rickman wrote:
For shame

I just believe, all things considered and at this point in time, they are not terribly good at it.

1. They are not very good right now. They are several steps below the level of reserve grade group competitions
2. This competition is absolutely necessary if we ever want womens sport to improve in quality.
3. Some people are complete flogs about trying to say how high quality the womens competition is (its not) and others are complete flogs saying the womens competition shouldnt be given the coverage it gets (it should)
Dont delete this GE
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Re: Raiders express interest in NWRL entry

Post by Ronny P »

simo wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
For shame

1. They are not very good right now. They are several steps below the level of reserve grade group competitions
2. This competition is absolutely necessary if we ever want womens sport to improve in quality.
3. Some people are complete flogs about trying to say how high quality the womens competition is (its not) and others are complete flogs saying the womens competition shouldnt be given the coverage it gets (it should)
Television coverage over the top of Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup grandfinals?? I think not. In parallel? Yes why not!

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Ronny P wrote: September 26, 2019, 10:03 am
simo wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
For shame

Television coverage over the top of Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup grandfinals?? I think not. In parallel? Yes why not!

Television coverage is due to viewer demand, not quality level. Televising nrlw also potentially grows the game more through female involvement which in turn increases overall viewer numbers. It will get better. Give it time.
Dont delete this GE
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

I think the NRL is getting this pretty right; you have to start somewhere and build from that. What people need to bear in mind is that most women playing in the NRLW have only really played Rugby League in their adult / late teen lives. Junior girls competitions are still in their relative infancy. Queensland School Sport Rugby League has been very progressive in providing State Championships for all age divisions (from nothing six years ago, to having full championships in 11/12 Years, 14/15 Years and 16-18 Years in 2020).

In watching the development of these competitions, I have seen a huge increase in the quality of skills in the girls participating here, particularly in defence. There has also been a shift from large bodies dominating to more athletic bodies dominating. There is still a fair way to go (ie. running lines and kicking), but if the quality of some of the 15 and 17 year olds at this year's Championship is anything to go by, it won't be too long before that translates into improvement in the NRLW. By then, I think the NRL will be able to continue gradual expansion.

The other thing, too, is that the NRLW is a post-season competition. This means that all of the players have played a full Club season before beginning their training with their NRLW sides. Once it becomes a separate tier of competition you will probably see improvement as well (fresher players, etc.).