Canberra Raiders forward Luke Bateman re-signs on one year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Luke Bateman re-signs on one year deal

Post by afgtnk »

Dude's about as potent as a wet leaf of lettuce in attack and gets dominated in a tackle more often than not. That's always gonna be his let down.

He may be able to get to a Lui level where he can make a reasonable dint in the line but I don't see it happening atm. If he wants to become effective then to me he needs to start by putting on a few more kgs.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: September 17, 2019, 10:53 pm
Not_Easy_Being_Green wrote: September 17, 2019, 10:34 pm I wouldn't write him off too soon. Hes a former jnr qld origin player with oodles of potential. Still very young and could hit his straps at any time. Been plagued with injuries this year but maybe an off season might be the making of him. Agreed plenty of competition ahead of him but if he gets back, he'll bloody deserve it no doubt.
Welcome back, Mrs Bateman. You've raised a fine young man.

Plodder, but a tryer.
Hahahaha money every single time
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: September 18, 2019, 12:30 am Dude's about as potent as a wet leaf of lettuce in attack and gets dominated in a tackle more often than not. That's always gonna be his let down.

He may be able to get to a Lui level where he can make a reasonable dint in the line but I don't see it happening atm. If he wants to become effective then to me he needs to start by putting on a few more kgs.
I think he needs to go the other way and work on his speed and footwork. Hes already tried putting on size but hes just an easy target.
I think his best role in the squad is as a training aid and first benchmark for younger players to surpass
Dont delete this GE
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The thing is with Luke Bateman is that he looked so promising when he came into first grade initially. He was a Fensom upgrade.

Despite the fanboi love for Fensom at the time, he was a poor man's Josh Jackson (who is also over rated). He'd give away penalties, get smashed in hit ups and either drop the ball or get back slammed without making a dent in the line.

Yes he'd make 50 tackles a game, but if you're making that many tackles, people are intentionally running at you because you aren't hurting anyone.

Then Luke Bateman comes in, and was better. Then he kind of just regressed into Fensom and became completely ineffective.

It's telling that despite the "muppet" calls from Tuxy about people criticising Fensom, he never went on to achieve anything after leaving Canberra. Can barely crack first grade on the bench these days.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Finchy wrote: September 18, 2019, 11:41 am The thing is with Luke Bateman is that he looked so promising when he came into first grade initially. He was a Fensom upgrade.

Despite the fanboi love for Fensom at the time, he was a poor man's Josh Jackson (who is also over rated). He'd give away penalties, get smashed in hit ups and either drop the ball or get back slammed without making a dent in the line.

Yes he'd make 50 tackles a game, but if you're making that many tackles, people are intentionally running at you because you aren't hurting anyone.

Then Luke Bateman comes in, and was better. Then he kind of just regressed into Fensom and became completely ineffective.

It's telling that despite the "muppet" calls from Tuxy about people criticising Fensom, he never went on to achieve anything after leaving Canberra. Can barely crack first grade on the bench these days.
Tuxys rugby league insights are pathetic quite honestly. Seems to have a lot of opinions with no idea how the game is actually played. Pretty common with most journos
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

simo wrote: September 18, 2019, 6:36 am
afgtnk wrote: September 18, 2019, 12:30 am Dude's about as potent as a wet leaf of lettuce in attack and gets dominated in a tackle more often than not. That's always gonna be his let down.

I think he needs to go the other way and work on his speed and footwork. Hes already tried putting on size but hes just an easy target.
I think his best role in the squad is as a training aid and first benchmark for younger players to surpass
With you Simo. There's only so much you can bulk up that frame and to put more on might only continue his journey to ploderville. He was a decent gap runner as a junior and had footwork to go with it. Turning him into a middle third grunt has not worked.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

simo wrote: September 18, 2019, 6:36 am
Very harsh, quite true and extremely funny! :roflmao
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Glad to have you around, Luke.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Finchy wrote: September 18, 2019, 11:41 am The thing is with Luke Bateman is that he looked so promising when he came into first grade initially. He was a Fensom upgrade.

Way too harsh on Fensom and frankly untrue, IMO. He was brilliant at what he did, at a time when there was a place for a guy specifically to do all the dirty work no one else wanted to do.

The game then started to change rapidly towards the end of his time here, and guys like him started to become redundant. Metre eaters and attacking forwards were expected to play longer minutes and asked to do more of the gritty defensive stuff. A clear distinction between edge and middle forwards was made, and if you played in the middle, you need to be able to take the ball up strongly. He couldn't give us what a guy like Sia could.

Due to his playing style and physical attributes he hasn't been able to evolve like a few others who faced the same conundrum. Shouldn't take away from the fact that he was excellent in his designated role and crucial to the functioning of the side.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2019, 6:01 pm

Way too harsh on Fensom and frankly untrue, IMO. He was brilliant at what he did, at a time when there was a place for a guy specifically to do all the dirty work no one else wanted to do.

The game then started to change rapidly towards the end of his time here, and guys like him started to become redundant. Metre eaters and attacking forwards were expected to play longer minutes and asked to do more of the gritty defensive stuff. A clear distinction between edge and middle forwards was made, and if you played in the middle, you need to be able to take the ball up strongly. He couldn't give us what a guy like Sia could.

Due to his playing style and physical attributes he hasn't been able to evolve like a few others who faced the same conundrum. Shouldn't take away from the fact that he was excellent in his designated role and crucial to the functioning of the side.
Hey, you have your whipping boy (Sezer). My thoughts on Fensom's ineffectiveness pales in comparison!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I just hope he has a less injury affected season in 2020. It's ok having squad players in the 30, but at some point we need them to play. His work ethic will be a good example for the young forwards coming to the Raiders. I don't think it will be too long before there will be other young players who overtake him in the pecking order eg Lukes injuries this year gave opportunity to HorsPOWER and there is no doubt in my mind that HorsPOWER has far greater upside. I expect he will be mostly at Mounties.