Josh Papalii wins the 2019 Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii is the winner of the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Award for 2019.

The award was decided in the final round of the season, with Papalii taking man of the match honours in the clash with the Warriors - and overtaking Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. It is the third time Papalii has won the Fans' Choice award - and he has now taken the title back-to-back, after winning in 2018. He also finished on top in 2016. No player has ever won the award three times in its history. As the Player of the Year, Papalii also takes out the Fans' Choice Forward of the Year Award.

Going into the final match of the regular season, only Papalii and Nicoll-Klokstad were still in contention for the award - but Nicoll-Klokstad was one of the players rested from the Round 25 match, after the Raiders' top four finish had been wrapped up... and a tough season for the young star.

Papalii took out man of the match honours in five matches - three in the final five rounds. He performed very strongly in the narrow losses to the Roosters and Rabbitohs in Rounds 9 and 10 - and followed with outstanding games against the Roosters and Storm in Round 21 and 22. He topped the 200 metres gained mark twice (against the Tigers in Round 18 and the Warriors in Round 25) - and has averaged more than 145 metres per game. He's delivered five tries, 27 offloads, 52 tackle breaks and averaged over 50 post contact metres per match. He's also made an average of 28 tackles a game - with a tackle efficiency rate of just under 94 per cent.

When Papalii won his first Fans' Choice Award in 2016, he was one of the premier back rowers in the competition. Having moved into the middle in 2018, he is now one of the premier props in the league. In fact, in August, Australian coach Mal Meninga described him as "the best front rower in the game".

Papalii was outstanding for the Queensland Maroons in this year's 2019 Origin series and is surely favoured to take back a Kangaroos jersey - should he want selection in the Australian team, rather than Samoa, 0the island nation he represented in the 2017 World Cup.

Papalii recently admitted he wasn't sure about the move to the middle, but now he loves it.

"There's so many good props out there," he said. It's only my first year of playing in the front row for a full season and it's one I have enjoyed so far. Taking those kick-off carries is something I don't like. I really found it hard when Ricky chucked me in the front row for the first time ever. I don't mind it now, it's something I enjoy."

English recruit John Bateman finished as runner up for Forward of the Year - in his first stellar year in the NRL. He was in the running for the Player of the Year until the penultimate round, having been named by the fans as man of the match five times in 2019.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, also in his first year with the Green Machine, has taken the Fans' Choice Back of the Year Award. Many Raiders fans were wondering who Nicoll-Klokstand when he arrived at the club from the Warriors, just before the pre-season trials commenced. With Jack Wighton moving from fullback to five eighth, he grabbed the No. 1 jersey and never let it go. The fans chose Nicoll-Klokstad as man of the match six times this year, but he didn't receive as many minor points as Papalii.

Nicoll-Klokstad couldn't get a regular first grade start with the Warriors. But in 2019, he's in the top five players in the NRL for running metres gained and the No. 1 player for kick return metres. He's in the top 10 players for tackle breaks. He's been an absolute revelation - and as a young player, still has plenty of upside, and opportunity to further develop his ball playing skills.

He came to the club on a bargain basement contract, but was recently rewarded with a contract extension and upgrade. He and his young family couldn't be happier about remaining long term in Canberra.

"To be able to call Canberra home for the next four years, the boys the community in general has made my time here so enjoyable here, so I'm stoked," he said.

Jack Wighton finished as runner up for Back of the Year, having made a great success of his move to five eighth - and performing so strongly, he made his Origin debut for the New South Wales Blues.

The Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year has been awarded since 2004, with the inaugural winner being Ruben Wiki. Other winners have included Alan Tongue, Terry Campese, Shaun Fensom, Jarrod Croker, Josh Hodgson, Jordan Rapana and Nick Cotric. The award, sponsored by The Greenhouse Canberra Raiders supporters site (TheGH.com.au), is voted on by the fans on line, who give 3-2-1 points to the best players each week. The Player of the Year receives a crystal trophy from The Greenhouse.

2019 Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice

Fans' Choice Player of the Year and Best Forward: Josh Papalii
Best Back: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Final Leaderboard:

27 - Josh Papalii
26 - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22 - John Bateman
21 - Jack Wighton
11 - Josh Hodgson
7 - Jarrod Croker
7 - Elliott Whitehead
5 - Bailey Simonsson
5 - Corey Horsburgh
3 - Aidan Sezer
2 - Joey Leilua
2 - Jordan Rapana
2 - Ryan Sutton
2 - Joe Tapine
2 - Hudson Young

Previous winners:

2018 Josh Papalii
2017 Jordan Rapana, Nick Cotric
2016 Josh Papalii
2015 Josh Hodgson
2014 Jarrod Croker
2013 Jarrod Croker
2012 Shaun Fensom, Blake Ferguson
2011 Shaun Fensom
2010 Josh Dugan
2009 Josh Dugan
2008 Terry Campese
2007 Alan Tongue
2006 Alan Tongue
2005 Jason Smith (Clinton Schifcofske finished on equal points, with Jason Smith declared winner on countback)
2004 Ruben Wiki
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: Josh Papalii wins the 2019 Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by afgtnk »

Very, very well deserved for a third time Big Papa. Like many I questioned how effective he'd be with a permanent transition from the second row where he grapped all his rep spots, but there you have it - I'll know better next time than to doubt the champion.

All things remaining constant, he will end up as our greatest ever forward.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah he's been brilliant all year long, i think you could have given it to Papa, CNK or Bateman and no one would have argued too much. I think in the end, this was the right decision.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2019 Fans' Choice Player of the Year

Post by Matt »

A very worthy top 4
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Well done Papa. Amazing effort to win it 3 times in 4 years including in two top 4 sides.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I love you Josh. A champion on the field and a champion bloke off it. Well deserved in a hotly contested field.

Now you just need to add the Clive Churchill to your growing trophy cabinet.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

greeneyed wrote:
27 - Josh Papalii
26 - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22 - John Bateman
21 - Jack Wighton
11 - Josh Hodgson
7 - Jarrod Croker
7 - Elliott Whitehead
5 - Bailey Simonsson
5 - Corey Horsburgh
3 - Aidan Sezer
2 - Joey Leilua
2 - Jordan Rapana
2 - Ryan Sutton
2 - Joe Tapine
2 - Hudson Young
Crazy to think the year Cotric gets a debut for NSW he doesn't get a single point. Shows the quiet year he has had and the few games he has missed. Due for a big one next week!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Well deserved.
Best prop this year. He was immense in origin and for us.
Will be first player picked for the Kangaroos.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

afgtnk wrote: September 16, 2019, 7:45 pm Very, very well deserved for a third time Big Papa. Like many I questioned how effective he'd be with a permanent transition from the second row where he grapped all his rep spots, but there you have it - I'll know better next time than to doubt the champion.

All things remaining constant, he will end up as our greatest ever forward.
I was such a doubter and if I remember correctly, he struggled with the transition for a bit and there were countless calls to move him back to the back row (myself included). But wow has he proven that he has the skill and commitment to become the best of all time.

Definitely a lesson to be learned about patience, support and belief. Couldn't be happier for the bloke - well deserved Papa!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Underrated award. It's one of the most accurate indicators of a player's contribution to team performance over the full season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

great effort big papa
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:Underrated award. It's one of the most accurate indicators of a player's contribution to team performance over the full season.
Agreed. Any Raider who gets points from the GH knows their performances have been thoroughly analysed and reviewed in minute detail by the hardest marking but most expert fans in the NRL.

Even Afghtfgggg gave Sezer a point in one game this season. That might be an even higher accolade for Aiden than winning a Dally M.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Underrated award. It's one of the most accurate indicators of a player's contribution to team performance over the full season.
Agreed. Any Raider who gets points from the GH knows their performances have been thoroughly analysed and reviewed in minute detail by the hardest marking but most expert fans in the NRL.

Even Afghtfgggg gave Sezer a point in one game this season. That might be an even higher accolade for Aiden than winning a Dally M.
Pretty sure he did it ironically though

Either that or he was hepped up on goofballs
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Lets hug it out Papa.

Congrats to you.
The best forward in world rugby league.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's one of the positional moves that I could agree needed to happen given the squad we had and it's strengths/weaknesses but I wasn't sure how it would go long term.

Credit to Papa for not just adjusting to be a decent prop but becoming the best in the business. Players stepping up like that has made the season work. Jack, Papa, CNK etc.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Best Prop in the NRL week in week out and at Origin level. To have come back from that over weight off season says heaps for his new focus and dedication.
Well deserved recognition. Well done Papa.