John Bateman - Best first season in Raiders history?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Wasn’t sure where else to post this - is this the best debut season from a recruit in the club’s history? I wasn’t born for Mal’s first year, so not sure how it compares. I am shocked at Bateman’s impact, it has really been unbelievable and way beyond anything I could have hoped for. Defensively he has been so underrated - his clean up work is amazing, and in attack, he is fast becoming our go to player when we need points.
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by BJ »

Gee it’s up there. Belcher had an outstanding first season, Paulo was pretty good, BJ and Bronson Harrison actually had good first seasons. But none better than Bateman.

Belcher and Bateman for mine.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Noa had a ridiculous first year as well if I remember correctly.

Bateman has definitely had the best I remember though.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think he's as important to us as hodgson
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:01 pm I think he's as important to us as hodgson
Perhaps more.
What he, Paps and Sia do for our defensive line in not only technique, in terms of making sure blokes get HIT, is huge in establishing our intent, but their motor and workrate absolutely drives this team defensively.

Bateman and Papa are the engines through which this team runs.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:01 pm I think he's as important to us as hodgson
He's more important. We haven't won a game without him, without Hodgson we went something like 3-1.

Of all the big changes to our team over the off season (and many of them have been VERY good), John Bateman is the number 1 reason we are where we are. He's just that damn good.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He hates to lose and will die trying to win..

That's John Bateman.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: September 16, 2019, 6:55 am He hates to lose and will die trying to win..

That's John Bateman.
I said it in another thread, but absolutely everything he does is amazing. In the second half there he goes to scoop the ball off the ground, completely misses it and the Storm guy flies through and knocks it on, we get six to go.

Even when he gets it wrong he gets it right. I love him so much, get him up here etc
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Such a smaller frame as well.

Hes a highly skilled maniac.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yet Whitehead still gets no raps.
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:yet Whitehead still gets no raps.
Elliott Whitehead is consistently amazing. Those of us that aren’t complete cowards acknowledge that on a weekly basis.

The little things he does in a game are second to none.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: John Bateman - Best first season in Raiders history?

Post by greeneyed »

Mal Meninga came to the club in 1986... and that year was great, but it wasn't his best... and the Raiders didn't make the finals, finishing towards the bottom of the ladder.

But there have been a lot of great first seasons... Ricky Stuart won club Player of the Year in 1988 in his debut season, and only played 12 games, debuting in Round 11! Interestingly, Tim Sheens always said that 1988 was his best team, even though they lost both finals games.

What about Noa Nadruku... debut season in 1993 and scored 22 tries!

Mark McLinden... in 1998 was NRL Rookie of the Year and was the Raiders Player of the Year. Not sure if the criteria rules out juniors...

Clinton Schifcofske was player of the year in 2001 in his first season with the club.

I was going to say Ruben Wiki, based on 1994, but he played three games in 1993...

Haven't gone through this in detail yet... just a few that popped into the head.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Re: Best debut season from a recruit in Raiders history?

Post by The Nickman »

And you’d have to think John Bateman sits up there with the very best, particularly once he hoists the Telstra Premiership high above his head.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

The Rickman wrote: September 16, 2019, 7:08 am
-PJ- wrote: September 16, 2019, 6:55 am He hates to lose and will die trying to win..

That's John Bateman.
I said it in another thread, but absolutely everything he does is amazing. In the second half there he goes to scoop the ball off the ground, completely misses it and the Storm guy flies through and knocks it on, we get six to go.

Even when he gets it wrong he gets it right. I love him so much, get him up here etc
After watching so many years where this was always the reverse - Raiders player trys really hard but ends up stuffing up - it is really great to have a player that has that 'winning' touch.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Finch made an interesting point last night (probably his first this season): Bateman can play any style. If the conditions are poor and it’s all down the middle, he can do the grinding style and the tough stuff. He can play expansive and flamboyant with his passing and footwork in better conditions. Pure footballer in every sense of the word.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: September 16, 2019, 7:57 am yet Whitehead still gets no raps.
If someone creates a Elliot Whitehead appreciation thread I'll be there..toasting the bloke !'
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Was it Best’s first or second year with us when he played ridiculous footy outside Campese?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

2nd, started with us in 2007

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I remember Noa's first season and a few of the others mentioned. Noa was a sensation- the "feel good winger" story of the year that commentators love since everyone loves a flyer in the clear or a Semi/Jonah Lomu breakout or a catchy nicname (if I hear "Jimmy the Jet" one more time...) so he took the league by storm- Fijian flyer... back when Fijians in league weren't a thing yet really. Absolutely enormous, exaggerated sidestep, goose steps, a winger who loved contact!

But I can't say he was more influential than Bateman. Wingers were slightly less influential on a games outcome overall back then. And Noa joined a team of all time greats, a machine as well oiled as anything the STorm produced and who knew how to play an exciting brand of footy to boot. He took to it like a duck to water but he didn't have to turn anything around.

Bateman has had to come in and lead- drive a more competitive culture. He's changed the place, not just arrived and been great at what he does, but had an impact on the way the whole team plays. I loved Noa. A sensation.

But it's JB for my money on this one.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

To state the obvious, something has changed significantly at the club. It could be the departure of Blake and his attitude, hardening up of the centre by moving on of Shannon and Junior, the introduction of Bateman and Cappy or a combination of all of the above.

I don't think that the influence of Bateman on the playing group as a whole can be understated. His mongrel has hardened the whole playing group. He is a magnificent bastard.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think what's a little sad, and what was highlighted on the weekend, is the very real possibility that the Sezer/Bateman/Leilua/Rapana edge will never get its chance to truly flourish like I'd love to see. Boy, if we hadn't have had Joey's season taken away from us by a cruel neck injury, those guys could've developed into one of the most lethal edges in premiership history!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2019, 8:23 am Mal Meninga came to the club in 1986... and that year was great, but it wasn't his best... and the Raiders didn't make the finals, finishing towards the bottom of the ladder.

But there have been a lot of great first seasons... Ricky Stuart won club Player of the Year in 1988 in his debut season, and only played 12 games, debuting in Round 11! Interestingly, Tim Sheens always said that 1988 was his best team, even though they lost both finals games.

Mark McLinden... in 1998 was NRL Rookie of the Year and was the Raiders Player of the Year. Not sure if the criteria rules out juniors...

Clinton Schifcofske was player of the year in 2001 in his first season with the club.

I was going to say Ruben Wiki, based on 1994, but he played three games in 1993...

Haven't gone through this in detail yet... just a few that popped into the head.
Thats a good list GE. Guys like Schif were up their with our best players in their first year but I'd be looking more at their standing within the whole comp. As such Nadruku stands out because he instantly became one of the game's best wingers. The Sivo of his time.

I'd also throw in Blake Austin. Went from a backup fullback/bench utility at Panther and Tigers and in his season at the Raiders became Dally M Five-Eight of the Year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: September 16, 2019, 12:17 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2019, 8:23 am Mal Meninga came to the club in 1986... and that year was great, but it wasn't his best... and the Raiders didn't make the finals, finishing towards the bottom of the ladder.

Thats a good list GE. Guys like Schif were up their with our best players in their first year but I'd be looking more at their standing within the whole comp. As such Nadruku stands out because he instantly became one of the game's best wingers. The Sivo of his time.

I'd also throw in Blake Austin. Went from a backup fullback/bench utility at Panther and Tigers and in his season at the Raiders became Dally M Five-Eight of the Year.
he'll be remeber for the later 2 yrs, but youre right, Austin was an unstoppable freak in 2015
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

What he does with the ball and in defence are immense but he seems to bring some intangibles to the club that can't be quantified. Well, except by the stat that we haven't been able to win without him on the field! There is always going to be a bias towards years where the club as a whole has been successful but have to agree with some of the other nominees. It's easy to forget how much impact Schifcofske has on the team as a whole and how well he played.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Northern Raider wrote: September 16, 2019, 12:17 pm

I'm glad someone mentioned it, because Austin was the first player that came to mind for me.

I know his name is practically mud around these parts these days, but he absolutely carved up in 2015. Nearly got a blues birth from it. As mentioned, won Dally M 5/8th of the year.

Phenomenal, until other teams worked out his dummy and step. Never reached the same heights.

Glad to see him carving up in England now too.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

When I was at the Bulldogs Game this year sitting in the Corporate Box with J Mac he said Bateman had almost single handily changed the attitude of the playing group. He said something like these close losses bull stops right now, this year, just follow me lads.

As Ricky said during the season, some players go out there on the field and try and win, Guys like Bateman have to win.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

One of the first things I read about John Bateman was a quote from someone who played with him in England (sorry, can't remember who said it), but in talking about how hard Bateman is, they said 'John Bateman puts his head where other guys won't put their feet'. I loved that quote and it made me look out for him and look forward to seeing him play.

Although, I have to admit, I didn't know much about him when we first signed him. I wasn't sure he was what the team needed. Boy, I don't think I've ever been so wrong about anything Raiders-related in my life.

If we take in the whole situation, I think what he's encapsulated, what he means to the team, how important he is, yeah I'd have to say it's the best first season in Raiders history.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Spot on, a lot of us were wondering where he would fit in given we had an international back row of Whitehead, Tapine and Papali and had Croker and BJ at 3 and 4.

We all agreed he was a good buy but we’re not so sure that he was a good buy for our club given the stocks we had in those positions.

God we were wrong. First picked every week.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bateman has been great, no doubt, but I'm not underestimating the impact of CNK either. He's one of the most hard working, bravest fullbacks in the comp. There is no doubt both of those guys have helped to change the attitude of our squad.

Combine that with the loss of Austin, Boyd and Paulo, who all at times looked liked they couldn't give a **** about putting in the hard yards - and instantly you have a turnaround in attitude.

It has been a combination of things - including a focus on defence by the coaches - which has led to this result. Bateman has been a big part of that, but it's very simplistic to attribute it all to him.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Austin's first season was good. individually.
Leilua's first season was absolutely outstanding, and rivalled by batemans ability to seemingly turn everyone around him into a tough bastard that loves to win.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Aside from the obvious excellence you get from Johnny B, there is something intangible about him that just screams winner.

He is my favourite player and I want to boof him, even if he is a cider drinker.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I cant find the post where i talked abou it, but i remember in his first game for the club, he won us a penalty, gave the Titoooons player a mouthful, and then faked throwing at him, and when said titooons player flinched, he laughed in his stupid **** face

From that momemt John Bateman has had my heart.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

I would rate Blake Austin’s first season as good as Bateman’s and although it was a long time ago who could forget Jason Smith’s sublime talent on an old head.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

PigRickman wrote: September 17, 2019, 7:42 pm I cant find the post where i talked abou it, but i remember in his first game for the club, he won us a penalty, gave the Titoooons player a mouthful, and then faked throwing at him, and when said titooons player flinched, he laughed in his stupid **** face

From that momemt John Bateman has had my heart.
:lol: yea remember that, what a champion
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It was everything i want to love about a player. It was like version of me on the footy feild, if i wasnt ruined by injuries and a lack of physical talent and athletic ability