John Bateman - Best first season in Raiders history?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finite
David Furner

Re: John Bateman - Best first season in Raiders history?

Post by Finite »

One of my favourite Raiders players in only one season so he has definitely had an incredible first season.

If you didn't love him enough already I just watched a really nice piece on him on League Life.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Any reason he hasn’t signed for longer like Sutton and Whitehead?
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

sprintman wrote:Any reason he hasn’t signed for longer like Sutton and Whitehead?
Younger than whitehead and arguably better than both of them
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Finite wrote: September 17, 2019, 9:03 pm One of my favourite Raiders players in only one season so he has definitely had an incredible first season.

If you didn't love him enough already I just watched a really nice piece on him on League Life.
I taped that and will watch 2mrw..

Something about a zoo visit I'm hearing.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can watch it here!

Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Sir Alex Ferguson said if you give in once you’ll give in twice

Unfortunately in regards to the raiders our experienced guys have been in teams that have given up at some point.

What we have in Bateman is a guy that’s never given up and he’s the heart and soul of this team.

He puts in the same effort regardless of the score and something we’ve been missing since the 90’s.

He’s the best and we will win the comp solely because of him and what he brings to this team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders John Bateman family man first, footballer second

Amid the euphoria of the Raiders dressing room after beating Melbourne last week, John Bateman sat quietly in the corner face-timing his daughter Millie back home in Bradford.

"I thought '**** – we've done it!' I looked up at the clock straight away to see how much time was left," he said. "There was about four minutes so I was thinking that's enough time for Storm to retaliate.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/19/mat ... er-second/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Bateman will be on Channel 9s “Golden Point” at 10:30pm tonight.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Heard an interesting story this morning that Bateman has just taken on board a new manager - and his first comment was that he can get him more money somewhere else.

This came from Kenty who is very well informed on Raiders issues.

Damn I hope 'Our Johnny' is as loyal as I imagine him to be.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is there a link to a story?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2019, 10:39 am Is there a link to a story?
No it was a discussion on the Sunday TripleM NRL pod. The discussion was in relation to Matterson and his current state at the Tigers - Kenty used this example as how easy these things can happen - new manager, uses as a selling point that he can upgrade a player. 'Has just happened at the Raiders with Bateman - new manager tells Bateman he can get more money elsewhere'. Hoops was confused - 'surely he isnt going to leave the Raiders', Kenty said 'That's not what Im hearing, but if you get told you can earn another $300k a year you get upset at the situation very quickly'. Thats not verbatim, but overview.

Just funny that the best source for Raiders news is usually Kenty - even if Stick has set him up to sell an agenda. Im more wondering who and why Kenty has this gossip.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Kenty did say Bateman was happy in Canberra
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

On YouTube the other day I saw an extended interview Denan Kemp did with Bateman. It was very informative and interesting, although it was done back in May.
Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Goldcoast Raider wrote: September 23, 2019, 11:34 am Kenty did say Bateman was happy in Canberra
Yep, sure did - just wondering why he was given that mail. Either Ricky wanted to call a bluff, or the new manager wants to put some pressure on. But the underlying point I guess was what kind of manager thinks it a good idea to bring this up half way through the finals??
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Coastalraider wrote: September 23, 2019, 11:21 am
No it was a discussion on the Sunday TripleM NRL pod. The discussion was in relation to Matterson and his current state at the Tigers - Kenty used this example as how easy these things can happen - new manager, uses as a selling point that he can upgrade a player. 'Has just happened at the Raiders with Bateman - new manager tells Bateman he can get more money elsewhere'. Hoops was confused - 'surely he isnt going to leave the Raiders', Kenty said 'That's not what Im hearing, but if you get told you can earn another $300k a year you get upset at the situation very quickly'. Thats not verbatim, but overview.

Just funny that the best source for Raiders news is usually Kenty - even if Stick has set him up to sell an agenda. Im more wondering who and why Kenty has this gossip.
It's no secret Bateman was signed on peanuts for this year. Well below what the other Pom internationals were getting. When he found out he wasn't thrilled and raised it with Don. So he'll be upgraded but with his trajectory he's mad to sign anything long term. He's learnt he needs to look after his own interests or he'll be underpaid.

He'll back himself to be worth a monster deal to set up up in 2021 and playing well next year will cement him among the best forwards in the game and he'll seek a contract reflecting that. Maybe even a Grand FInalist or winner to boot.

If I was him and his manager, that's what I'd be planning for 2021 deals. Raising it now is dumb. But are we sure that happened? I remember the news was that Batemans manager was flying out during the representative bye period to look into extensions and upgrades. Any paperwork/deals emerging since then may just reflect the discussions had in that period- then some time to sort the details/shuffle cap/plan and see where the team finished.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

BadnMean wrote: September 23, 2019, 12:22 pm
Coastalraider wrote: September 23, 2019, 11:21 am

It's no secret Bateman was signed on peanuts for this year. Well below what the other Pom internationals were getting. When he found out he wasn't thrilled and raised it with Don. So he'll be upgraded but with his trajectory he's mad to sign anything long term. He's learnt he needs to look after his own interests or he'll be underpaid.

He'll back himself to be worth a monster deal to set up up in 2021 and playing well next year will cement him among the best forwards in the game and he'll seek a contract reflecting that. Maybe even a Grand FInalist or winner to boot.

If I was him and his manager, that's what I'd be planning for 2021 deals. Raising it now is dumb. But are we sure that happened? I remember the news was that Batemans manager was flying out during the representative bye period to look into extensions and upgrades. Any paperwork/deals emerging since then may just reflect the discussions had in that period- then some time to sort the details/shuffle cap/plan and see where the team finished.
The way I interpreted it was that he has had a change of manager since that point.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Yep, I believe he has had a change of managers to a bloke the Raiders have had some unhappy dealings with in the past. Unspoken message seemed to be that they did not trust him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Of course John's happy in Canberra...

There's a zoo, and bike tracks !
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I'm sure Bateman was brought here on a smart deal for a club who is importing a player from England who is untested in the NRL. I don't think there is a single person who could have anticipated the impact that he would have on the club and the quality of football he would have played across the season. As it stands now everyone can see his value and I have no doubt that the club will be doing what they need to to lock him up long term.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote: September 23, 2019, 3:10 pm I'm sure Bateman was brought here on a smart deal for a club who is importing a player from England who is untested in the NRL. I don't think there is a single person who could have anticipated the impact that he would have on the club and the quality of football he would have played across the season. As it stands now everyone can see his value and I have no doubt that the club will be doing what they need to to lock him up long term.
Yep, and it's probably why we're about to lose Leilua and Rapana.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

At just 25, Here's Johnny is priority #1.

Eventually he'll head home..I get that.

But he's got at least 2 premierships to win here first.

Then I can die a happy old man..
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Rickman wrote:
pickles wrote: September 23, 2019, 3:10 pm I'm sure Bateman was brought here on a smart deal for a club who is importing a player from England who is untested in the NRL. I don't think there is a single person who could have anticipated the impact that he would have on the club and the quality of football he would have played across the season. As it stands now everyone can see his value and I have no doubt that the club will be doing what they need to to lock him up long term.
Which to be honest is not the end of the world, it's not great management to have bulk $$ tied up in your backs

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: September 23, 2019, 5:32 pm
The Rickman wrote:
Which to be honest is not the end of the world, it's not great management to have bulk $$ tied up in your backs

Not if it means you lose a player like John Bateman, agreed.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Rickman wrote:

That might not still hold true in a couple of weeks. The club didn't get to this point by following textbook management approaches.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

As much as I admire Johnny B. Goode I have to say that Sticky would win the prize for me. Club Player of the Year in half a season and changed the way the whole game was played with spiral long passes to left and right and long accurate kicking game. When we had the ball he simply controlled the match. I've not seen that from a Raiders half back since Sticky left - yes Campo was good, but Sticky had the ball on a string imo. He was just brilliant.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Rickman wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

Not if it means you lose a player like John Bateman, agreed.
I’m not sure what has been going on with rapana this season. I am certain he has been carrying injuries because he has been a shadow of his former self and depending on what he is asking I’m not sure we can pay it.

BJ is a genuine game breaker and harder to replace.

The only thing that might convince this team to stay together for another season is a premiership. I can’t see us keeping all of our players without some of them earning below their market rate.