Joey Leilua guarantees he'll be with Raiders in 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders prepared to let grand final centre Joey Leilua walk

Post by Northern Raider »

Toviii wrote: October 17, 2019, 1:35 pm Cotric to the centers if Joey goes I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Right now that's the obvious one with Simonssen to the wing and Oldy next on the depth chart for all spots. If we picked up Lomax then spots will be decided in pre-season and early rounds.

We should also remember that Rapana is off to Japan and no certainty of returning. As such we should be recruiting at least a fringe first grade outside back. Hard to spot the lesser know players like Simonssen and CNK who may be available. Those names I do know that are off contract and could fill a backup role are Josh Hoffman, Brenko Lee and Matt Ikuvalu.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: October 17, 2019, 2:37 pm
Toviii wrote: October 17, 2019, 1:35 pm Cotric to the centers if Joey goes I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Right now that's the obvious one with Simonssen to the wing and Oldy next on the depth chart for all spots. If we picked up Lomax then spots will be decided in pre-season and early rounds.

We should also remember that Rapana is off to Japan and no certainty of returning. As such we should be recruiting at least a fringe first grade outside back. Hard to spot the lesser know players like Simonssen and CNK who may be available. Those names I do know that are off contract and could fill a backup role are Josh Hoffman, Brenko Lee and Matt Ikuvalu.
Without Rapana I think we probably go:

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Lomax
5. Simonsson
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If i had to guess right now, id bet on the following backline for round 1, 2020

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Lomax
5. Simonsen

With Rapana coming into the squad after the Japanese Rugby season is finished
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

God dammit.
It appears i am now the botman :(

**** IT ALL
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: October 17, 2019, 2:40 pm God dammit.
It appears i am now the botman :(

**** IT ALL
That's BotpotPickRigMan to you, pal.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I hope we're not picking up more than $100k of his salary...but I guess it all comes down to what the ultimate cost and opportunities are with other players.

I hope he plays on to a high level, but that whole ruptured vertibra issue was a concern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 17, 2019, 3:20 pm I hope we're not picking up more than $100k of his salary...but I guess it all comes down to what the ultimate cost and opportunities are with other players.

I hope he plays on to a high level, but that whole ruptured vertibra issue was a concern.
I think it's 150k, Seiff. Pretty sure his current deal is 650k and the dogs are talking about 500k.

Honestly, Joey Leilua at 500k is an absolute steal!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
PigRickman wrote: October 17, 2019, 10:30 am mea culpa on Ryan Hall on not being a current international

Still, i really doubt that Hall and Morris combined would be on more than Fergo. This was not a case of the Sombrero at play
Can't comment as I don't know the value of each of their contracts.
I thought Fergo was reportedly on a reasonably low deal with Roosters because of his behavioural issues a few years back and when he got offered crazy money from Eels the Roosters weren't going to match it or stand in his way.

I don't think his salary would cover Morris and Hall. Roosters fans claim that Morris was unwanted but IMO it is more likely that he was unwanted at his asking price. The two statements are different. And lets not pretend that the Roosters are just cap management genius'.

I do note that Matters on also left but he was similar to Fergo - cheap deal and offered more elsewhere. All clubs upgrade players contracts when they come into the NRL but some are more creative with how they do it.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

That's why with Bateman we should be looking at TPAs to top up the current deal. Secures him for the remainder of his contract at the lower cap figure. His new manager gets his cut as they generally claim a higher % of TPA money.

Win win :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:I thought Fergo was reportedly on a reasonably low deal with Roosters because of his behavioural issues a few years back and when he got offered crazy money from Eels the Roosters weren't going to match it or stand in his way.
That’s his point. The Roosters wouldn’t match the Eels deal and for what he’s on at the Eels they can instead have Hall and Morris.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote: Jesus, that’s a pretty big EDIT, gangy. You hate to see it from such an experienced poster.
Guess I’m missing the humour in continually badgering someone...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yes. It very much appears that you are.

*checks notes*

you hate to see it.
Good grief.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Rickman wrote: October 17, 2019, 10:07 am The sums in my head tell me we're still paying 150k in freight. Which means of the 500k "saving" we make, we'll have to take a fair slab of that out for a new guy in the roster, let's say another 150k?

Losing a genuine strike weapon for only 350k in upgrades seems a bit crap to me. Still, if it somehow helps us keep Jack, Bateman and CNK long-term I guess it's the right decision.

And to echo Fergus from earlier, this is the kind of stuff the successful clubs do to keep their premiership window open indefinitely. You need to have faith in the systems in place at your club and whoever comes in and out of those systems can slot in and fulfill their role.
We've only seen one 5+ year run at contention in recent years. All that took to sustain was 4 years of cap cheating so star players could take lesser deals at the back end of their careers.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

1. CNK
2. Oldfield
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Simonsson

Wouldn't be unhappy with that

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-TW- wrote: October 17, 2019, 7:06 pm 1. CNK
2. Oldfield
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Simonsson

Wouldn't be unhappy with that

I’d be livid with that from where we were this year.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

why? It's just losing Beej and not having Rapana until round 3 this year when the Japanese Rugby finishes up... that backline wouldnt stun me at at all rd 1. And it'll be fine too. That's a really solid backline
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Oldfield as a winger is criminally underrated by some on here

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: October 17, 2019, 7:30 pm why? It's just losing Beej and not having Rapana until round 3 this year when the Japanese Rugby finishes up... that backline wouldnt stun me at at all rd 1. And it'll be fine too. That's a really solid backline
Because it relays on Rapana coming back. It’s all the eggs in that basket.

He will have had no off season, will be fatigued from playing rugby while everyone else is freshening up. He was looking busted most of this year, and know we seem content to ship him off to risk more fatigue and injury under someone else’s management.

Would you be happy with that backline and Kris first drop for the whole year? Especially considering the back 5 we have been fielding?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: October 17, 2019, 8:05 pm
Botman wrote: October 17, 2019, 7:30 pm why? It's just losing Beej and not having Rapana until round 3 this year when the Japanese Rugby finishes up... that backline wouldnt stun me at at all rd 1. And it'll be fine too. That's a really solid backline
Because it relays on Rapana coming back. It’s all the eggs in that basket.

He will have had no off season, will be fatigued from playing rugby while everyone else is freshening up. He was looking busted most of this year, and know we seem content to ship him off to risk more fatigue and injury under someone else’s management.

Would you be happy with that backline and Kris first drop for the whole year? Especially considering the back 5 we have been fielding?
Yeah, i think i would.
I think Croker and Cotric are still an excellent centre pairing. Ive got no issues with Simo... and Oldy would start in a decent amount of teams and has done a great job for us.
Im also super high on Kris, higher than most. I think there is a real good player there
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:I thought Fergo was reportedly on a reasonably low deal with Roosters because of his behavioural issues a few years back and when he got offered crazy money from Eels the Roosters weren't going to match it or stand in his way.
That’s his point. The Roosters wouldn’t match the Eels deal and for what he’s on at the Eels they can instead have Hall and Morris.
I know that. But what Eels were willing to pay him has absolutely nothing to do with how much the Roosters had available to pay him.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Oldy would be a starter at most clubs. I would not be too upset with that outside four.

If we get Lomax, it’ll also mean there is genuine competition for spots in the three quarter line.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Keeping Raps ahead of BJ makes as little sense as keeping Croker ahead of BJ
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I love oldy, but he was very quickly demoted to second drop winger by a kid in a train and trial contract in Bailey, and second drop centre behind Kris.

He is an absolutely solid first drop winger, perhaps the best in the league. But the fact he averages something like 1 start in 3 games between Manly, Roosters, Souths, Penrith and now us tells the story. He is the Sammy Williams of wingers.

He may be criminally underrated by some on this forum, and I will be willing to eat humble pie if he turns into a superstar, but in the 9 years of his first grade career there have been a hell of a lot of coaching staffs that agree with me, including our own.

I am fully comfortable with Bailey in the backline, but I want another proven regular first grade centre/winger as well if we loose BJ and Rapa.
Last edited by Coastalraider on October 18, 2019, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Coastalraider wrote: October 18, 2019, 4:17 am I love oldy, but he was very quickly demoted to second drop winger by a kid in a train and trial contract in Bailey, and second drop centre behind Kris.

He is an absolutely solid first drop winger, perhaps the best in the league. But the fact he averages something like 1 start in 3 games between Manly, Roosters, Souths, Penrith and now us tells the story. He is the Sammy Williams of wingers.

He may be criminally underrated by some on this forum, and I will be willing to eat humble pie if he turns into a superstar, but in the 9 years of his first grade career there have been a hell of a lot of coaching staffs that agree with me, including our own.

I am fully comfortable with Bailey in the backline, but I want another proven regular dirt grade centre/winger as well if we loose BJ and Rapa.
I might be wrong but I don't think he was second drop behind Kris, wasn't he injured for the last 5 or 6 rounds after busting his shoulder I think while scoring a try wasn't it? in the first game of the Cotric suspension (memory might not be right on full details of the injury but I am fairly sure Kris only came in because of the Oldy injury)
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Raidersteve wrote: October 18, 2019, 5:28 am
Coastalraider wrote: October 18, 2019, 4:17 am I love oldy, but he was very quickly demoted to second drop winger by a kid in a train and trial contract in Bailey, and second drop centre behind Kris.

I am fully comfortable with Bailey in the backline, but I want another proven regular dirt grade centre/winger as well if we loose BJ and Rapa.
I might be wrong but I don't think he was second drop behind Kris, wasn't he injured for the last 5 or 6 rounds after busting his shoulder I think while scoring a try wasn't it? in the first game of the Cotric suspension (memory might not be right on full details of the injury but I am fairly sure Kris only came in because of the Oldy injury)
I thought it was the other way round, but I can't recall either. I do think the coaching team see more growth and talent in Kris than Oldfield. I think Kris is going to boom next year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raidersteve wrote:

Nice to see you on the forum, Mrs Oldfield. I’m a big fan of your boy too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

KasparRaider wrote:
Raidersteve wrote: October 18, 2019, 5:28 am

I thought it was the other way round, but I can't recall either. I do think the coaching team see more growth and talent in Kris than Oldfield. I think Kris is going to boom next year.
Ahhhh, Mrs Kris! Welcome!!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

This sucks. I think besides Papalii he’s our best player by position compared to the rest of the competition. He’s been my fav for a while now too.

But you can’t be spending more than a mil on your starting centres now. It’s the least important position in rugby league (at least attacking wise) now so I understand the decision.

I just hope we’re not overpaying squad players and that’s why we’re forced to do this.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If Rapana is retained I don’t think Oldfield, Kris and Smith Shields as reserves is a problem at all either. Simonsson being a Hail Mary that paid off means we had the best depth I think we’ll ever see in the backs this year and that can’t really viably continue.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

If we 100% retain Rapana, Im fine with current stock minus BJ.

But I am absolutely not fine with letting Rapa spend summer playing Rugby and expecting him to return in good condition ready to play a full (minus 3 games) season as a top flight NRL winger.

The Japanese Rugby season starts on 12 Jan with 15 rounds played until May when we expect Rapa to return. Pre season would HAVE to start in December, meaning Rapa has less recovery time than other Raiders players - even in a year that we have all agreed he looks tired and playing with some sort of injury. He will be under the management of a different S+C team for this time as well. Even if he makes it through the rugby season with no injuries, combining the Japanese Rugby season with the NRL (minus 3 games) is 41 games in succession BEFORE the finals, and this with a reduced recovery period after this season due to the earlier start in Japan.

I absolutely want Rapa in 2020. But I want him 100% committed to us. This 50/50 thing has me VERY wary.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

-TW- wrote: October 17, 2019, 7:53 pm Oldfield as a winger is criminally underrated by some on here

Agree.
The guy has speed to burn and a boatload of skill.
He never shy's away from tough carries.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

If i had a choice, i would keep bj over croker (if same money or similar). I love what bj brings to the table and it is not replaceable
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

GreenMachine wrote: October 18, 2019, 8:29 am
-TW- wrote: October 17, 2019, 7:53 pm Oldfield as a winger is criminally underrated by some on here

Agree.
The guy has speed to burn and a boatload of skill.
He never shy's away from tough carries.
Yep. I'd be happy with 2 years of Oldfield on the wing. He has pace. We need more pace.

Agreed on his carries- he goes HAM. Big body too so he can handle other wingers whether they rely on speed or power.

His hands aren't great for a winger, which is why he maybe hasn't always kicked on.

Compared to the output we got from Rapana this year, Oldfield at a saving of 150k or so is good for us.

Cotric with a proper off season at centre is viable. He was a centre in juniors. He's a tackle buster, strong runner. Worth a longer run there.

Then we have room for Simonsen on the other wing. He deserves a go and if he can't get one here, we'll lose him. Adds more pace too - we were exposed in the GF on the fast break. Pace isn't the be and end all but it's nice to have.

My preference is for BJ to be retained but if he goes I don't thin the sky will fall in. We didn't rely on Leipana magic this year. We relied on Hodgo, Jack and Papa. Bj is a great extra threat and worker but Cotric has potential to be similar, with less brain snaps. He's on less $$$ too.

Do you keep the local junior, cleanskin off the field, origin rep with room to improve or BJ who is top class but wants more $$$, is a significant suspension risk and just back from career threatening neck surgery? If BJ makes me choose, he loses, given that we have a) a potential wing star in Simo to get into the team, b) very solid budget wing in Oldy, c) Cotric who is unlikely to spend his career at wing long term, d) playing hardball on a contract when you've missed 4 months with neck surgery and then come back and been suspended -again- is a weird flex.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If you are paying any of BJs contract for next year it is not worth letting him go and to be honest, I wouldnt let him go anyways.

He had a bad year but he offers so much most other centres dont offer.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The thing with Oldfield is he tends to miss a few games here and there. Don’t think you can bank on a whole season of footy from him at 29.