Joey Leilua guarantees he'll be with Raiders in 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Joey Leilua guarantees he'll be with Raiders in 2020

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs want to sign Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua

The Sunday Telegraph reports the Bulldogs are keen to sign Raiders centre Joey Leilua - who has been given permission by the Raiders to talk to other clubs after his agent sought to open talks on an extension. Leilua is contracted to the end of 2020, but the club is struggling to fit his $600,000 contract into the salary cap long term. He would reportedly be released early if he can secure a deal with another club.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... RucmSjF_eg
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canterbury Bulldogs want to sign Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua

Post by greeneyed »

Ill discipline reportedly a factor.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Bulldogs finally seeing some cap space. Will take whoever they can get. Watch every off contract player get linked to them in the coming months.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Take Croker over BJ please
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Im firmly of the opinion that we need to resign BJ and 600k sounds about right for the 2 time centre of the year. He is only 28 so has plenty of good football in front of him.

However, if sezer can keep playing like he did last night, youd be tempted to keep him in the side with williams and move jack to right centre.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Either way the club will get this right.
I love BJ’s strike, but I question his discipline.
We have options.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I know hes only 28 but i'm not sure BJ will age that well, i'm ok for not extending him past the end of 2020 at this stage.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

FROG wrote: September 15, 2019, 6:06 am Im firmly of the opinion that we need to resign BJ and 600k sounds about right for the 2 time centre of the year. He is only 28 so has plenty of good football in front of him.

However, if sezer can keep playing like he did last night, youd be tempted to keep him in the side with williams and move jack to right centre.
That is an option. We need to accommodate Williams in the side next year so something has to give. Most of us assume it would be Sezer moving on but that may not be the case.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

With Simmonson coming through, we can live with this. Cotric to the #4.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I didn’t like Beej when we signed him, as a person, like most of us, he’s done some pretty rank ****, and made a lot of mistakes, but as a player he always seemed to be unreliable and dumb.

But I’ve come to really respect how smart of a footy player he is, and aside from some silly stuff on the park, which is just kind of what you have to accept with him, he’s been clean off it for us.

So it’s a credit to him that he’s repaired his reputation quite a lot and earned back the respect of people like me who didn’t have much for him when he arrived.

He’s been an integral part of the club getting to this point, and I’m torn on what we should do but I’ve said all along that the Rapana question should lead to an interesting decision around BJ
The two are intrinsically linked and the high upside you get from Beej centres largely around how he and Rapana work together... there is some real signs he and Bateman could develop a very impactful little two man game too

Tough decision. And I agree with kiwi that beej’s game doesn’t strike me as one that will age well beyond his 20’s
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We will deal with it if it happens.

We have the depth.

But..imo we keep BJ !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Northern Raider wrote: September 15, 2019, 7:24 am
FROG wrote: September 15, 2019, 6:06 am Im firmly of the opinion that we need to resign BJ and 600k sounds about right for the 2 time centre of the year. He is only 28 so has plenty of good football in front of him.

That is an option. We need to accommodate Williams in the side next year so something has to give. Most of us assume it would be Sezer moving on but that may not be the case.
The key difference being we have a taker for BJ. I don't think any clubs will fighting over Sezer, which means we'd be paying a big chunk of his contract.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Id be bitterly disappointed if we were to lose him. It’s a big step backward for us.

If discipline’s the issue, Hudson Young and Tapine should be shafted well before Joey.

And as mentioned, you’re moving Croker on before BJ - Given they’d be on similar coin (if JC’s manager is doing his job properly)

He returned early from a season ending injury, has shown up every week except for when he dropped his knees after chasing an illegal try 100m, carries the ball in beast mode, intimidates the opposition and happens to put the match winner on a platter last night. The timing for this couldn’t be worse.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I would love to keep Joey Leilua. Look at the flick pass to Bateman yesterday! However, I can't argue too much with how the club is managing the salary cap at present... they're making some smart calls on recruitment and retention.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

We have 4 players that can quite capably play to a high level in the centres. I really like BJ as a player but it's probably the right move by the club and a great pickup for the Bulldogs.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Leilua is a gun 600k is pretty cheap given the performance he gives you. We win so many games from the danger of our right side.

Also RE discipline tapine is deadset way looser and even Hodgson gave away a ridiculously stupid penalty last night given the circumstance, did the same thing against melb in the prelim in 2016.
Sometimes very good players get frustrated. They shouldn’t and it needs to improve but Joey won us the game last night.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 15, 2019, 7:41 am

The key difference being we have a taker for BJ. I don't think any clubs will fighting over Sezer, which means we'd be paying a big chunk of his contract.
I think you underestimate sezer.

Broncos fan I know carries on about getting him. Raiders fans give him a worse wrap then he is playing.

If the club tries to they will find a taker. But then no one wanted Ryan papenhouzen and he was the storms most dangerous looking player last night.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Not so sure about that. Plenty of clubs would happily take a half of Sezer's experience and his contract value is around mid level. He would be a good fit for a team needing solid support for their premier half such as Cowboys, Panthers, Knights, even Manly. Then there's teams like Titans and Broncos who have really struggled in that department.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I reckon it's a nothing story, no real quotes and a slow news day

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Flat out attempt to avoid praising our glorious win and white ant our finals campaign.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Northern Raider wrote: September 15, 2019, 8:31 am

Not so sure about that. Plenty of clubs would happily take a half of Sezer's experience and his contract value is around mid level. He would be a good fit for a team needing solid support for their premier half such as Cowboys, Panthers, Knights, even Manly. Then there's teams like Titans and Broncos who have really struggled in that department.
A return to the Titans could be an option. I think the assumed figure was around 5-600k for Sezer. I think a lot of lesser teams are going away from bringing in well paid veterans on big money, they're more willing to invest that in youngsters. That leaves us with the fringe contenders who probably all back their current halves over Sezer. Other than the Broncos as you mention, who are surely tapped out against the cap.

The Blake Green situation to me is a good example of bringing in a middling veteran half on big money and having it be a failure. The Warriors then didn't have the cash to lure Koroisau.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

With our success something was going to give by the end of next year with Simo playing so well and Smith-Shields highly rated. I'll back the club to make the right call at this point.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Im not a huge fan of this tbh. I believe he is the best centre at the club and just having him standing on an edge creates fear (in a footy sense) in opposition players that causes them to over commit and open up holes on the edge.

The cap is the cap but id be looking at other means of creating space over joey initially

A prime example is batemans try last night. Melbourne was basically shot but instead of panic sliding and giving themselves a chance 3 of the players over commit on joey creating a huge gap.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 15, 2019, 9:57 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 15, 2019, 8:31 am

A return to the Titans could be an option. I think the assumed figure was around 5-600k for Sezer. I think a lot of lesser teams are going away from bringing in well paid veterans on big money, they're more willing to invest that in youngsters. That leaves us with the fringe contenders who probably all back their current halves over Sezer. Other than the Broncos as you mention, who are surely tapped out against the cap.

The Blake Green situation to me is a good example of bringing in a middling veteran half on big money and having it be a failure. The Warriors then didn't have the cash to lure Koroisau.
Yeah I'm working on Sezer's contract at around $500k which was last reported. That's not huge for a starting halfback and wouldn't really fall into the category of big money veterans. I'd use that description for guys like Hunt and Foran on their $m deals. Blake Green was reported as $400k which is hardly a massive cap burden.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Adios BJ. ‘Played strong, done OK’
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There will be plenty of clubs linked to our players soon.

Hard to know what truth there is to the bit about us willing to release him early. Anything is possible I guess, with the Rapana situation also up in the air.

All things being equal I'd rather keep Leilua than Rapana, but with Oldfield and Simonsson it's possible we could lose both.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Joey is a gun. We should be playing him 600k. He's worth that for 2020 and 2021.

There will probably be a club who is willing to pay him 750-800k. He'll have to weigh that up, we shouldn't match it.

Moving Jack to high centre shouldn't be an option. He's a left sided player. Played all his best footy on the left. i think he'd be all Zoolander on the right. Sezer would need to win the comp to make himself irreplaceable. I hope he does. What a pickle we'd have.

But as others have said, we have plenty of options there. Cotric would be first among them. He was going good last night before he tried to ankle tap with his face.

Problem is, Joey is the best in the business.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

It would be a big mistake to let Leilua go. Croker is solid but he isn’t going to win you a Premiership. Cotric is developing but he’s been a bit down on form this year. Simonsson doing well but still unproven.

If we lose Leilua it will reset our whole backline and we lose the X factor that’s made out attack so lethal over the last few years. Leilua and Rapana are priority signings imo, but Leilua In particular, he’s the one player in our side who can deliver us victory from the clutches of death.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I would be keeping BJ over Rapana at this stage
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

PigRickman wrote: September 15, 2019, 7:33 am I didn’t like Beej when we signed him, as a person, like most of us, he’s done some pretty rank ****, and made a lot of mistakes, but as a player he always seemed to be unreliable and dumb.

But I’ve come to really respect how smart of a footy player he is, and aside from some silly stuff on the park, which is just kind of what you have to accept with him, he’s been clean off it for us.

So it’s a credit to him that he’s repaired his reputation quite a lot and earned back the respect of people like me who didn’t have much for him when he arrived.

He’s been an integral part of the club getting to this point, and I’m torn on what we should do but I’ve said all along that the Rapana question should lead to an interesting decision around BJ
The two are intrinsically linked and the high upside you get from Beej centres largely around how he and Rapana work together... there is some real signs he and Bateman could develop a very impactful little two man game too

Tough decision. And I agree with kiwi that beej’s game doesn’t strike me as one that will age well beyond his 20’s
This post encapsulates my feelings on the development of Joey's reputation since arriving at Canberra.

The rare flick pump he put on last night was an example of his on field brilliance - that wins premierships. His competitiveness is his strength and cannot be taught. I also agree that he possibly wont age well - so all-in-all I'm 50/50 for fighting hard to retain him with a good offer - or not. I have trust in our retention team to make the right call.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I wouldn't be surprised to see 4. Wighton 5. Simonsson/Smith Shields next year

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

VictorTheViking wrote: September 15, 2019, 12:42 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see 4. Wighton 5. Simonsson/Smith Shields next year

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Watching Williams he seems to be a primarily left side player and a very good one at that. So if Sezer stayed it might make sense.

Still it seems like a big move to shift Wighton after producing such a great season at 5/8th.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Is Wighton a right side player or do we swap Croker? Croker to wing perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: September 15, 2019, 1:19 pm Is Wighton a right side player or do we swap Croker? Croker to wing perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:lol: for his blistering pace or his crushing defence?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

After BJ dropped his knees into the back of the Manly player, Sticky was non-plussed at the presser. Not even the coach knows what he will do. There would not be too many outside backs on $600k imo. They are far more likely to be on the median level income particularly if they are not Captains. BJ has had serious injury this year and that is not good for any player but particularly one who relies on the power game. Most seasons he spends time out suspended. He and Tapine are the loose cannons in the side imo. Easy to provoke. If we need additional funds so that Pom Williams will be here then I think high priced outside back is the spot to look for change.