Joey Leilua guarantees he'll be with Raiders in 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Re: Joey Leilua guarantees he'll be with Raiders in 2020

Post by Roy Rover »

gergreg wrote: October 31, 2019, 4:48 pm Should sign him up for a 5 year deal. We can medically retire him when we please, apparently. But coincidentally those floodgates will be slammed shut when we attempt it. Woe is us.
Isn't it a rort?? And yeah these loopholes have a habit of slamming shut whenever we try and exploit them!!
Last edited by Roy Rover on November 1, 2019, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I mean all you have to do is not talk about it beforehand. It's not like it's blatantly obvious what you're trying when you submit the request to the NRL, unless you talk about it beforehand.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

luke wrote: November 1, 2019, 9:18 am I'm not angry anymore
What's the current reading on the psychological vulnerability index?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Northern Raider wrote: November 1, 2019, 11:19 am
luke wrote: November 1, 2019, 9:18 am I'm not angry anymore
What's the current reading on the psychological vulnerability index?
Still high off the fumes from making (and being at) the Grand Final.

I may be cured!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Anyone concerned about Cotric wanting to move on next year as he won’t get the centre position now?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LastRaider wrote: November 2, 2019, 7:31 am Anyone concerned about Cotric wanting to move on next year as he won’t get the centre position now?
No. Joey will be gone in 2021 and Cotric hasn't earned the spot. I'm not sure he wants it yet anyway.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

So it’s a case of goodbye Leipana, hello Leimonsson?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Still no guarantee IMO. The club has made it pretty clear they couldn't afford to extend him beyond 2020, even knowing that Sezer's contract expired next year.

There is a good chance they'll still release him if another club comes forward with a decent contract offer that includes 2020.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Let's just win a premiership.

Then, the whole 30 of em can walk and I'll die a happy man.

#onemorebeforeidie
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: November 2, 2019, 8:31 am
LastRaider wrote: November 2, 2019, 7:31 am Anyone concerned about Cotric wanting to move on next year as he won’t get the centre position now?
No. Joey will be gone in 2021 and Cotric hasn't earned the spot. I'm not sure he wants it yet anyway.
Yeah Cotric has given no indication he's burning to get off the wing- when given the choice by Ricky he's always taken the option to go back to wing (over fullback last year). He made Origin on the wing- he'll be quite motivated to play well there and experience that again.

He'll probably go to centre or somewhere eventually but it is easy to forget he's actually only 20 years old still. He seems happy enough to try and play Origin as wing for another year or two.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He’s playing for his state and country as a winger... I mean, I don’t know why we’re so eager as a fan base to turn one of the best wingers in the world into a centre where maybe one day he’d be good enough to play... for his state and country? Haha
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Well Im really happy he will be here next year.
He will be "playing for a contract" and we will see the best of him I think. Then 2021 is anyones guess.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Botman wrote:He’s playing for his state and country as a winger... I mean, I don’t know why we’re so eager as a fan base to turn one of the best wingers in the world into a centre where maybe one day he’d be good enough to play... for his state and country? Haha
Bit like some of the fanbase on here wanting to turn a centre into a winger :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: November 2, 2019, 1:18 pm He’s playing for his state and country as a winger... I mean, I don’t know why we’re so eager as a fan base to turn one of the best wingers in the world into a centre where maybe one day he’d be good enough to play... for his state and country? Haha
Agree - although not as ridiculous as the previously constant calls to shift him to fullback :lol:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 2, 2019, 11:47 am Still no guarantee IMO. The club has made it pretty clear they couldn't afford to extend him beyond 2020, even knowing that Sezer's contract expired next year.

There is a good chance they'll still release him if another club comes forward with a decent contract offer that includes 2020.
I think the club was more making it clear that they couldn't afford to extend him beyond 2020 on his current contract value... I'm sure we'd be happy to keep him if the price was right. And I think by allowing him to test the market and him/his management subsequently realising that there was no more than $500k on the table out there for him (which was taken off the table in the end, by the looks of it), we could possibly see something working in our favour beyond next year. I don't think recent events necessarily prove that this is the end for him at the Raiders.

As I've mentioned previously, he's a weapon and I'd hate to see him go, although it all depends on how much of the cap he'd be taking up. What he provides in the backline is something none of our other backs can provide.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d imagine the club is very keen to keep Wighton and Bateman and their management are both pushing stores about potential moves away from the raiders. So what do we make of BJ doing the opposite and assuring fans he will be here next year. I just have a feeling the club might have a different view on this one. Will be interesting to see.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

afgtnk wrote: November 3, 2019, 8:46 pm
Botman wrote: November 2, 2019, 1:18 pm He’s playing for his state and country as a winger... I mean, I don’t know why we’re so eager as a fan base to turn one of the best wingers in the world into a centre where maybe one day he’d be good enough to play... for his state and country? Haha
Agree - although not as ridiculous as the previously constant calls to shift him to fullback :lol:
The calls to move him to fullback were reasonable at the time given he played there as junior and Wighton was suspended. It didn't really work when he had his shot but that's with the benefit of hindsight.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: November 4, 2019, 8:32 am
The calls to move him to fullback were reasonable at the time given he played there as junior and Wighton was suspended. It didn't really work when he had his shot but that's with the benefit of hindsight.
I’d be interested to see the numbers on Cotric’s size and pace in his debut season compared to now. I’d say he’s now a lot bigger and possibly a little slower. He’s obviously doing well on the wing but pace may be an issue longer term. Although he hasn’t set the world on fire in the centres he has shown he has the size and movement to be more than a handful. No doubt he’s a good winger but I think he potentially an outstanding centre.

Piggy makes a fair point but by that logic Lockyer and Wighton would always have been fullbacks and Laurie Daley would never have moved from 4 into the 6 jumper.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I think he'll eventually move there permanently at some point in his caree given his size, lack of pace, and defensive ability.

Now's just not the time considering he's playing for NSW and Aus from where he is.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: November 4, 2019, 8:32 am
I recall people wanting him to move there permanently when they got sick of Jack. Doesn't have the skill set for it and never showed it tbh, people seemed to want to shoehorn him in there because he was safe and ran the ball well on the wing. If he did play fullback in juniors from memory it was only limited - he did most of his work at centre I believe.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Cotric doesnt lack pace.

He is very very quick over short distances which is what you want in rugby league.

Over 100m not the best.

But I will take someone (cotric) quick over 10-30m in rugby league then someone fast over 100m (eddy lee) every day of the week, and so did our club.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: November 4, 2019, 11:26 am I think he'll eventually move there permanently at some point in his caree given his size, lack of pace, and defensive ability.

Now's just not the time considering he's playing for NSW and Aus from where he is.
I’d agree with that - if he’s happy on the wing and we’re happy with our centres then no need to break a good thing. Agree he’s not a fullback.

Interesting comments by Papabear about his pace - I haven’t seen him display short speed but won’t argue if your telling me it’s there. I’d have thought pace over 30-40 is exactly what you need in a centre and you want your wingers able to torch everyone over the journey ala the Fox, Nagas, Vunivalu etc
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 4, 2019, 7:35 am
Seiffert82 wrote: November 2, 2019, 11:47 am Still no guarantee IMO. The club has made it pretty clear they couldn't afford to extend him beyond 2020, even knowing that Sezer's contract expired next year.

I think the club was more making it clear that they couldn't afford to extend him beyond 2020 on his current contract value... I'm sure we'd be happy to keep him if the price was right. And I think by allowing him to test the market and him/his management subsequently realising that there was no more than $500k on the table out there for him (which was taken off the table in the end, by the looks of it), we could possibly see something working in our favour beyond next year. I don't think recent events necessarily prove that this is the end for him at the Raiders.

As I've mentioned previously, he's a weapon and I'd hate to see him go, although it all depends on how much of the cap he'd be taking up. What he provides in the backline is something none of our other backs can provide.
Yes, it was a good move by the club to allow him to test the market. I suspect he was signed on overs on the back of his remarkable 2016 season. The fact interested clubs are baulking at his asking price is telling.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One Leilua enough for the Tigers

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that the Wests Tigers have ruled out a bid for Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua, after recruiting his brother Luciano.

Cashed up and on the hunt for an outside back after ending negotiations with Latrell Mitchell, the Tigers have ruled out making a play for Canberra centre Joey Leilua...

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 15d0026809
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: November 4, 2019, 11:26 am I think he'll eventually move there permanently at some point in his caree given his size, lack of pace, and defensive ability.

Agreed
He’ll be a centre at some point in his career but it’s probably 3-4 years from now imo