Joey Leilua guarantees he'll be with Raiders in 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders prepared to let grand final centre Joey Leilua walk

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2019, 7:16 pm If by polar opposite you're insinuating completely rubbish player, should be playing NSW cup, etc, then I'd wager that very few of our own fans truly hold this view - I certainly don't personally.

But for fans to continually signal that he's seemingly above reproach, and that it is almost blasphemous to suggest that he should be replaced by a cheaper alternative at some point in the near future to help with the cap, is insanity. It has honestly gone way too far and those fans have lost their ability to think rationally about him.
Who do you suggest?

...without the hyperbole if you want a rational discussion. ;)
Further to the discussion. If the issue is based partly on his price how much is he actually on?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:19 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2019, 7:16 pm If by polar opposite you're insinuating completely rubbish player, should be playing NSW cup, etc, then I'd wager that very few of our own fans truly hold this view - I certainly don't personally.

But for fans to continually signal that he's seemingly above reproach, and that it is almost blasphemous to suggest that he should be replaced by a cheaper alternative at some point in the near future to help with the cap, is insanity. It has honestly gone way too far and those fans have lost their ability to think rationally about him.
Who do you suggest?

Further to the discussion. If the issue is based partly on his price how much is he actually on?

That's the thing yet it doesn't stop certain individuals from singling out one player as an example. Truth is any player can be replaced by a lower cost option if cap room was needed. That's how a salary cap works.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:19 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Who do you suggest?

That's the thing yet it doesn't stop certain individuals from singling out one player as an example. Truth is any player can be replaced by a lower cost option if cap room was needed. That's how a salary cap works.
Yep kinda my point. How can you demand cheaper options and question a players value for money, and comparative salary when you don't know what he's earning?

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:07 pm Fact is this has nothing to do with Croker specifically. It's only a select few, very special people on this forum who want to bring him up in nearly every thread.
It does. Right now we're in a thread about Joey Leilua and whether or not he'll stay at the club. The topic of player contracts is hot right now on this forum and seemingly within the club.

We've trimmed a lot from our forwards recently. We've haven't done much regarding the backs. Raps has been brought up everywhere. As has Joey. Both of them at their best or near to it are comfortably better than Jarrod.

He's brought up because he's perceived to be too much for the value that he brings, given most clubs have veered away from loading their centres on big money, and to stay competitive we probably need to look to cut wherever and whenever we can. Across the board, most teams play spuds in their centres - you can't have two decent earners playing there, and if it's a contest between BJ and Croker, BJ has to win hands down everytime. He'll also be 30 next year and his goal kicking looks like it might be in decline.

This is fair game, whether his ardent supporters like it or not. He's not a must keep and not a guy that we're reliant on to keep us going.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:49 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:07 pm Fact is this has nothing to do with Croker specifically. It's only a select few, very special people on this forum who want to bring him up in nearly every thread.
It does. Right now we're in a thread about Joey Leilua and whether or not he'll stay at the club. The topic of player contracts is hot right now on this forum and seemingly within the club.

We've trimmed a lot from our forwards recently. We've haven't done much regarding the backs. Raps has been brought up everywhere. As has Joey. Both of them at their best or near to it are comfortably better than Jarrod.

He's brought up because he's perceived to be too much for the value that he brings, given most clubs have veered away from loading their centres on big money, and to stay competitive we probably need to look to cut wherever and whenever we can. Across the board, most teams play spuds in their centres - you can't have two decent earners playing there, and if it's a contest between BJ and Croker, BJ has to win hands down everytime. He'll also be 30 next year and his goal kicking looks like it might be in decline.

This is fair game, whether his ardent supporters like it or not. He's not a must keep and not a guy that we're reliant on to keep us going.
You make a lot of sense.... However having a different point of view automatically makes you a troll around here
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:07 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2019, 7:07 pm The emotional, heavily green goggled, almost religious like attachment a lot of our fans have to Jarrod Croker has to be one of the weirdest things I've seen to do with the Canberra Raiders or Rugby League. It makes such little sense.
It's not just our fans who have it... It's also our playing group, our coach, our recruitment manager and our CEO.
So it really doesnt matter what the fans think of him. The people who matter are Stuart, Mulholland and Furner, and they've made it abundently clear he's here to stay. They believe he's a vital cog for the culture being established, they believe him to be a good leader for this team, Stuart speaks glowingly of his contrubtions to the club on and off the park, the players to a man adore him, and from a CEO perspective, he's as clean as you could ask for as a captain and role model.

The club specifically mentioned him as someone that is a priority to get sorted out this off season
You're going to have to come to terms with this at some point, asfnaskzala. He's not going anywhere.
The club can say what it wants, it's not the same as what they'll do - you should know that as well as anyone.

When have you see them not back a player, or not talk about his qualities when the opportunity comes up, or say that they don't want to keep someone? Every time you hear them they say they want to keep the player who's in question. Hell, Ricky Stuart has re-signed players only to get rid of them shortly afterwards multiple times now.

He shouldn't be a priority, he's not a marquee player. Nor is he the dominant influence in the team, that's well and truly Josh Hodgson. If we want to be up there at the top it's players exactly like Croker, solid clubmen who no doubt love the club very much but who don't quite have the ability to match their potentially high pay bracket, that we unfortunately need to be ruthless with. Zero time for sentiment.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah, most teams do play spuds in their centres. Raiders don't. Roosters don't.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bye bye Sezer, hello Croker.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:Bye bye Sezer, hello Croker.

Hahahaha I was just thinking the same thing.

Classic afgfhgjgktmfkcifkf, don’t ever change
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: October 16, 2019, 9:32 pm

Question that remains is who will be his new Sam Williams? :hmmm
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: October 16, 2019, 9:32 pm

Question that remains is who will be his new Sam Williams? :hmmm
Hmmmm, that’s an interesting one. Needs to be a centre, mediocre enough but able to hold his spot in first grade if required... Michael Oldbeard Or Sebastian Kris perhaps??
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

How entirely, entirely predictable. Attempt to play the ball, fail. Let's go for the man. Fail. Then Nickman, as sure as night follows day, comes down from the cheap seats he's got a lifetime spot in, with absolutely nothing to add.

It's the Greenhouse trifecta. You'll never lose betting on it.

FTR, any criticism of Croker has nothing to do with Aidan Sezer and well predates it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Canberra Raiders prepared to let grand final centre Joey Leilua walk

Post by The Nickman »

I never brought up Aidan Sezer! You’ve got a genuine problem, man... you’re jumping at shadows here!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I never said you did, old friend!. Boy, I'm worried you're really starting to get paranoid here - you don't need to be so negative about the club and especially Ricky Stuart all the time!
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

The ganging up, and insinuating a particular person is stupid for having a different opinion is getting quite old.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Same old suspects lol
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Rickman wrote: October 16, 2019, 10:39 pm I never brought up Aidan Sezer! You’ve got a genuine problem, man... you’re jumping at shadows here!
Pretty sure it's you with the problem haha.... Imagine shouting everyone down every time you disagree.... Should have been banned a long time ago
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:How entirely, entirely predictable. Attempt to play the ball, fail. Let's go for the man. Fail. Then Nickman, as sure as night follows day, comes down from the cheap seats he's got a lifetime spot in, with absolutely nothing to add.

FTR, any criticism of Croker has nothing to do with Aidan Sezer and well predates it.
Well I did ask you a direct question, as did NR.

This topic has been done to death and I believe where we got to last time - when you eventually provided a list of centres you rated higher than Croker - you had Roberts and Marsters ahead of him. Can you refresh my memory on your list of centres?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote:I never brought up Aidan Sezer! You’ve got a genuine problem, man... you’re jumping at shadows here!
Your previous post responded to a shot at alphabet over Sezer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:
The Rickman wrote:I never brought up Aidan Sezer! You’ve got a genuine problem, man... you’re jumping at shadows here!
Your previous post responded to a shot at alphabet over Sezer
Jesus, that’s a pretty big EDIT, gangy. You hate to see it from such an experienced poster.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote:
The Rickman wrote: October 16, 2019, 10:39 pm I never brought up Aidan Sezer! You’ve got a genuine problem, man... you’re jumping at shadows here!
Pretty sure it's you with the problem haha.... Imagine shouting everyone down every time you disagree.... Should have been banned a long time ago
Sorry... who are you again?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:57 pm
PigRickman wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:07 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2019, 7:07 pm The emotional, heavily green goggled, almost religious like attachment a lot of our fans have to Jarrod Croker has to be one of the weirdest things I've seen to do with the Canberra Raiders or Rugby League. It makes such little sense.
It's not just our fans who have it... It's also our playing group, our coach, our recruitment manager and our CEO.
So it really doesnt matter what the fans think of him. The people who matter are Stuart, Mulholland and Furner, and they've made it abundently clear he's here to stay. They believe he's a vital cog for the culture being established, they believe him to be a good leader for this team, Stuart speaks glowingly of his contrubtions to the club on and off the park, the players to a man adore him, and from a CEO perspective, he's as clean as you could ask for as a captain and role model.

The club specifically mentioned him as someone that is a priority to get sorted out this off season
You're going to have to come to terms with this at some point, asfnaskzala. He's not going anywhere.
The club can say what it wants, it's not the same as what they'll do - you should know that as well as anyone.

When have you see them not back a player, or not talk about his qualities when the opportunity comes up, or say that they don't want to keep someone? Every time you hear them they say they want to keep the player who's in question. Hell, Ricky Stuart has re-signed players only to get rid of them shortly afterwards multiple times now.

He shouldn't be a priority, he's not a marquee player. Nor is he the dominant influence in the team, that's well and truly Josh Hodgson. If we want to be up there at the top it's players exactly like Croker, solid clubmen who no doubt love the club very much but who don't quite have the ability to match their potentially high pay bracket, that we unfortunately need to be ruthless with. Zero time for sentiment.
I agree. There is zero time for sentiment, or at least there shouldnt be.
But if you honestly think the club's praising and public prioritisation of Jarrod Croker is empty platitudes, you haven't been paying attention.

It doesnt matter than you or I may think about Croker, and i suspect away from the forum our views on him would be closer than they appear on the forum... the simple reality is Stuart and DFJ are in Croker. They very much see him as someone who is as important to this team as anyone else, including Hodgson. You may disagree with that. But that just is what it is.

The club writ large is all in on Jarrod Croker, as a player, as a captain, as a leader, as a person. That's what the club has shown us, not with their words but with their actions, when someone/some entity shows you who they are, believe them.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders666 wrote: October 16, 2019, 8:56 pm

You make a lot of sense.... However having a different point of view automatically makes you a troll around here
That’s very true. I don’t expect I’ll always agree with afgtkn’s views on every player, but I really do appreciate that he puts forward opinions around where he thinks the club needs to improve. There are far too many posters on here who seem to honestly believe that anyone in a Raiders jumper is the best in the league and if it wasn’t for the refs or an NRL bias we would never lose a game. The reality is we are a good team with the potential to be a great team if we keep moving in the right direction.

Croker is not a winner. He has lost more games in the Raiders jumper than anyone else in history. He was top of the charts in the NRL for try causes last year and there isn’t a selector for any rep team that thinks he’s up to it. Hell they will bring guys out of retirement and pick his teammate out of position ahead of selecting him. I said a number of years ago that the Raiders will never win a premiership with Croker in the team and I haven’t been proven wrong yet.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2019, 10:17 pm How entirely, entirely predictable. Attempt to play the ball, fail. Let's go for the man. Fail. Then Nickman, as sure as night follows day, comes down from the cheap seats he's got a lifetime spot in, with absolutely nothing to add.

I think Nickman may actually be a bot with a limited number of negative responses:

“Good grief”
“Hate to see it”
*checks notes*

:roflmao
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote:
afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2019, 10:17 pm How entirely, entirely predictable. Attempt to play the ball, fail. Let's go for the man. Fail. Then Nickman, as sure as night follows day, comes down from the cheap seats he's got a lifetime spot in, with absolutely nothing to add.

I think Nickman may actually be a bot with a limited number of negative responses:

“Good grief”
“Hate to see it”
*checks notes*

Get ****, Billy
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Botman baby, Botman..!

It’s a military thing. They’re probably creating a whole army of Botmen!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: October 17, 2019, 8:03 am Botman baby, Botman..!

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote:Botman baby, Botman..!

Excellent, we’ve now gathered all the idiots in one place, should be absolutely no drama at all to round them up and ship them off to BroncosHQ.

Fergus, send in the cannon!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ to Dogs for $500k is the news this morning.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:BJ to Dogs for $500k is the news this morning.
That... seems like we’re still playing freight.

I’m not a big fan of that AT ALL
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: October 17, 2019, 8:39 am
Northern Raider wrote:BJ to Dogs for $500k is the news this morning.
That... seems like we’re still playing freight.

I’m not a big fan of that AT ALL
Assuming the quoted numbers are accurate then its a case of carrying $100k in dead money or his full $600k contract in 2020. I'd much rather he stayed but I don't know the cap situation for next year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That might be the best deal we get.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Billy Walker wrote: October 17, 2019, 7:55 am

“Good grief”
“Hate to see it”
*checks notes*

You forgot "oh boy"
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Rickman wrote: October 17, 2019, 7:35 am
Raiders666 wrote:
Sorry... who are you again?
Good grief
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: October 17, 2019, 8:46 am That might be the best deal we get.
Nobody can doubt his ability. Big question marks about his discipline still and coming off a serious neck inury I'd say his market value is sligthly diminished.

On hypothetical numbers - BJ to Dogs sees us carry $100k dead money. Pick up a replacement (e.g. Lomax) for $300k. That leaves $200k for topping up Bateman.