Joey Leilua guarantees he'll be with Raiders in 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Canterbury Bulldogs want to sign Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua

Post by IBG »

I think if anything, BJ's serious neck injury this year did him no favours as it showed the club that we don't rely on him, where as in previous years we would have hung our heads and used it as an excuse.

With Oldfield and Kris more than capable back-ups now, I am OK if BJ isn't with us next year.

By 2021 we will see:

1. CNK
2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Smith-Shields

With Smith-Shields having a Cotric/Simmonson breakout first year.

I am OK with this.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

edwahu wrote: September 15, 2019, 1:13 pm
VictorTheViking wrote: September 15, 2019, 12:42 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see 4. Wighton 5. Simonsson/Smith Shields next year

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Watching Williams he seems to be a primarily left side player and a very good one at that. So if Sezer stayed it might make sense.

Still it seems like a big move to shift Wighton after producing such a great season at 5/8th.
We're not gonna shift Wighton - especially after the season he's had.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

If Joey stays fit he has 3 good years left in him. After that, you would have to see.
I would hate to lose BJ. While we were able to show we dont rely on him or Rapana throughout this season, you can see we scored most of our tries over on the left instead of on their side.
But the major point I want to make is that I doubt there is anyone that would have made that flick pass to Bateman to win the game.
I think we should do everything we can to keep him.
I realise that Stick might not feel so strongly about it.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

My gut says that the sticking point is paying $600k for a nearly 30 year old centre.

If the dogs want to pay that, fine. I'm guessing the raiders are saying "take it if you want, Joey. We won't stop you".

We've got Cotric ready to go (I think he's more confident on the wing), and Simmonsen on the wing.

Plus, this may help us keep Rapana.

Would suck to lose Jordy and BJ.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

He had a cracker last night 💥
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Just a thought, but are we now in a position to attract more third party deals, with the success we have had this year? It opens up more possibilities for boosting the salaries of certain players so they will be able to stay.
I hoping that’s the case.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, Bateman and Hodgo would have a few deals on the go already I reckon.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'll reiterate what I've said in the multitude of other threads on our current player contracts. Right now we have a top 4 side. Don't mess with it unless necessary.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That didn’t work so well in 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:Yeah, Bateman and Hodgo would have a few deals on the go already I reckon.
Cockington Green third party deal.

Well one third party deal, that’s a miniature version of a Broncos TPA.
schnitzel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by schnitzel »

BJ wrote: September 15, 2019, 5:33 pm
edwahu wrote:Yeah, Bateman and Hodgo would have a few deals on the go already I reckon.
Cockington Green third party deal.

Well one third party deal, that’s a miniature version of a Broncos TPA.
Well that place certainly earns enough $. Have you seen the entry fees!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Joey Leilua free to eye off his options

The Canberra Raiders are allowing star centre Joey Leilua to test the open market so he can maintain his current value.

"I'm totally aware of the situation, as is BJ's manager. Everything's being done professionally and respectfully," Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said. "The best part about the communications at the moment is it's all above board and very clear with BJ's manager."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Could be wrong but reading between the lines I’d suggest the club might be keen to move him on. Surely this wouldn’t be the messaging if they want to keep him? The only other thing I can think of would be if the club wants him to test the market with the expectation he might find his value is lower than what he is on now so a reduced offer won’t be poorly received? Don’t know - but getting away from the question of should we or shouldn’t we keep him, I’m curious to hear thoughts on what might be driving this very public approach to shopping him around?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It says we can't afford what were paying him now (read don't want to pay him that)

I doubt there's any clubs that would want him at current value or higher, so test the market, find he's not worth what he's on, club has leverage in contract negotiations or he moves on (which on the basis they're so public about it they're not too fussed)

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

IBG wrote:I think if anything, BJ's serious neck injury this year did him no favours as it showed the club that we don't rely on him, where as in previous years we would have hung our heads and used it as an excuse.

With Oldfield and Kris more than capable back-ups now, I am OK if BJ isn't with us next year.

By 2021 we will see:

1. CNK
2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Smith-Shields

With Smith-Shields having a Cotric/Simmonson breakout first year.

I am OK with this.
Still no real pace there! We need a Sivo type winger I think
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It does annoy me that we have Leilua locked into a contract for next season and this move could force us to release him early.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:29 pm It says we can't afford what were paying him now (read don't want to pay him that)

I doubt there's any clubs that would want him at current value or higher, so test the market, find he's not worth what he's on, club has leverage in contract negotiations or he moves on (which on the basis they're so public about it they're not too fussed)

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
That’s what I was thinking. It would be fascinating to have visibility on the cap situation. Be interesting to see how balancing the release of Raps, BJ and Sezer would leave us after new signings and upgrades. I’d love to know what sort of $$ we need to offload to accomodate G Williams and upgrades next year, or if we actually might find ourselves with a small war chest to target a signing or two if we do lose those players.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:36 pm It does annoy me that we have Leilua locked into a contract for next season and this move could force us to release him early.
I’m thinking perhaps we need to release him early? CNK upgrade, G Williams and whatever other negotiation are taking place may mean we need to free up BJ $$ now? Geez it would be fascinating to have visibility on the roster. The IPL you see what players sign for - imagine if we knew exactly where our cap was allocated.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:36 pm It does annoy me that we have Leilua locked into a contract for next season and this move could force us to release him early.
I’m thinking perhaps we need to release him early? CNK upgrade, G Williams and whatever other negotiation are taking place may mean we need to free up BJ $$ now? Geez it would be fascinating to have visibility on the roster. The IPL you see what players sign for - imagine if we knew exactly where our cap was allocated.
I'd imagine we have every player on our roster fully accounted for under the salary cap for next season. Rapana was the only one under question. I'm not sure the best move by the club is to release Leilua to retain Rapana.

The real question mark is what happens with Sezer and or Sam Williams with George Williams coming in. It seems Sezer is keen to fight for his spot...which is an interesting turn of events.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Someone will pay Joey what he's worth surely.

Or should we start to think he's on 700k-800k and in reality he's unlikely to get more than 600k or so and we're just trying to get him into line?

Be a shame to lose him. Our best centre since Mal (if you regard Wiki as a 2nd rower/prop).

Maybe Ricky has just had it with the brain snaps? Maybe they are a bit miffed a player tries to hit them up for a big extension 5 seconds after they nurse him back from career threatening injury.

But from Joey's point of view, that might have brought home that any season could be his last and he needs to get max value while he can still earn. He'll never see that kind of money available to him again.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:49 pm
I'd imagine we have every player on our roster fully accounted for under the salary cap for next season. Rapana was the only one under question. I'm not sure the best move by the club is to release Leilua to retain Rapana.

The real question mark is what happens with Sezer and or Sam Williams with George Williams coming in. It seems Sezer is keen to fight for his spot...which is an interesting turn of events.
Losing 27 year old star centre to retain busted looking 30 year old winger is not how it is done.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Whatever the reason, it’s hard not to be impressed with the honest, respectful approach the club is taking. I like how Ricky is owning it as well and communicating it very well.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fairly sure the Broncos will be in the market for a half or two but the result might be them releasing halves into the market as well. S. Williams might struggle to find a home if he is competing against younger talent like Turpin. Sezer will be interesting. I suspect the club hasn’t got him as part of the plans for next year but geez he’s found form. He’s not doing his market value any harm!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Turpin is a hooker not a half. No other half would have to compete with him on the market.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:57 pm

Losing 27 year old star centre to retain busted looking 30 year old winger is not how it is done.
Agree, if we could only retain one of them then BJ is it. Of course that assumes parity in their cap values. I don't think Rapana would command as money on his next deal. He's probably in the $300k region so I seriously doubt it's a case of letting one go to keep the other.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

More than happy to let him leave on anything above $600K.

Great player on his day, but the difference between good teams and great football clubs, is that the great football clubs regenerate and stay young, hungry and relevant.

We should be focusing on finding a foil for Josh Papalii who would eventually carry the forward pack when he reaches age (knowing Sia may not have long).

I'd love the club to do something like release BJ and Rapana, to sign Jai Arrow or David Fafita.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I hope we keep BJ. He is a game winner when he has his head in the right place and he has cleaned up his game (rounds 1-7 and the two storm games shows this...).

At this stage, If it means we keep BJ for another two years, I think releasing Sezer and Rapana is the best way to go. We have a clear replacement for Sezer in Williams and we have Oldfield, Simmonson, Harley-Smith-Shields or Niko who could replace Rapana next year.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

If our first choice next year is:

2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Oldfield

Our premiership window is this season. It shows a lack of depth that is required to seriously compete. If BJ and Rapana are both going we need to make a signing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote:If our first choice next year is:

2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Oldfield

Our premiership window is this season. It shows a lack of depth that is required to seriously compete.
Replace Oldfield with Smiths-Shields and that’s not a bad three quarter line IMO

But yeah, would much rather still have Joey for another year, he proved two days ago how much of a match winner he is

But this is the age of the salary cap, with success comes the need to constantly turn your roster over to retain the guys you want
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I've got a lot of time for Smiths-Shields. I think he's going to be great. But I think next year is 1 year too early for serious first grade time. He'd be fine with what Kris has done this year. Keeping in mind Kris ended up being our 3rd backup after Simonsson and Oldfield.

I'd be signing a back that is first grade ready on a 2 year deal. Pretty much competing with Oldfield for a starting spot. Not someone like a Corey Oates or Curtis Scott that will demand selection for the duration of their deal and tie up a lot of cap.
As injury and rep games happen you can then give Smiths-Shields pressure free time to develop. Simonsson, Cotric and Smiths-Shields would have to be close to the youngest set of backs in the game if they were there round 1.

As you mention being able to hold on to Joey for another year if we could would be my preference.

Maybe if we did let him go it would be part of a player swap with the dogs? Though not really anyone there that fits the idea of what I'm after.... actually Reimis Smith wouldn't break the bank and does have some upside. Out and out winger though.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Wighton
5. Simonsson

Sezer and Williams will be our halves

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

TBH, i think the majority of has been covered to this point but, these decisions have to be cap related. No other clubs are paying multiple outside backs the kind of money we are. Croker, BJ and Rapa will all be on good money, esp as the latter 2 re-signed after 2016.

Rapa turned down a deal earlier in the yr, backing himself. Now the club has offered a new deal, which I believe is less.
The idea of shopping BJ has come up a few times since he has been here. This time, he is coming off a really bad injury AND a dumb play. Maybe they are thinking lets get out before his body falls apart.

We have all said that Leipana are better together than apart, so to that end, keep both, or release both, makes sence to me. Given the season Simmonson has had, I can totally see them thinking we have Rapa cover at half the cost. I also think they know what they have in Cotric, and again, we have BJ cover at half the cost.

We have seen what Oldfield can provide as backup. Kris is coming along nicely, and Smith-Sheilds looks really good. I worry about his size, coz he has a Croker vibe about him, as a small body outside back.

Given all this, of all the positions in the NRL to fill, winger is the easiest. I suspect the club is looking at 2 guys that have done a fantasitc job, but are getting older, more fragile, and on big coin, and thinking its time to deal with the business, not with the heart.

Sezer vs Williams vs Williams is a different kettle of fish. Also, Wighton is our #6, thats not changing. Also, those watching George might note that during the year he switched from left to right side. Hint hint.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

VictorTheViking wrote: September 16, 2019, 2:21 pm 2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Wighton
5. Simonsson

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about this.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

3. Croker
4. Wighton
5. Simonsson

There’s zero chance of moving Wighton to centre and rightly so. Absolute madness to even contemplate it tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: September 16, 2019, 2:25 pm
3. Croker
4. Wighton
5. Simonsson

There’s zero chance of moving Wighton to centre and rightly so. Absolute madness to even contemplate it tbh.
Yup, Wighton 6, thats not changing