Who would you prefer to play in the Preliminary Final?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who do you want to play in the Preliminary Final?

Poll ended at September 21, 2019, 8:03 pm

Souths
62%
Manly
35%
Cronulla
4%

Total votes: 26

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Who would you prefer to play in the Preliminary Final?

Post by yurithe1 »

I expect Souths to beat Manly in a close one with both sides bashing the crap out of each other.

I also tip Burgess to do something that sees him suspended again. Souths aren't the same side without him there.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: September 16, 2019, 10:16 am My gut tells me guys like Cappy who are there every day and overhauled our defense have had more to do with this season's success than Ennis.
Yeah, and I saw some quotes recently by the players saying Cappy was pretty hard on them as soon as he showed up... I think they needed that, to be perfectly honest.

Well... they needed that and John **** Bateman anyway.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenMachine wrote: September 16, 2019, 10:38 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 15, 2019, 5:52 pm I’d be nervous if we met Parra in the GF if they knock off Melb and Chooks haha.
No way.
If we faced Parra in the GF I'd be more confident than ever.
Melbourne will knock Parra out, then the Roosters will knock Melbourne out.
That's how I see that side of the draw.
I'd be surprised if Souths don't deal with Manly easily.

I get the feeling Manly and Parra played their GF's this week.
Next week will be about the top 4 IMO.
I’d expect it to go the way you described as well, the point I was making was that if Parra somehow did back up the Broncos effort by rolling the Storm and knocking off the chooks it would be hard not to fear them. Fairly confident Chooks will be the GF participants from that side of the draw
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: September 16, 2019, 12:31 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 16, 2019, 10:38 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 15, 2019, 5:52 pm I’d be nervous if we met Parra in the GF if they knock off Melb and Chooks haha.
No way.
If we faced Parra in the GF I'd be more confident than ever.
Melbourne will knock Parra out, then the Roosters will knock Melbourne out.
That's how I see that side of the draw.
I'd be surprised if Souths don't deal with Manly easily.

I get the feeling Manly and Parra played their GF's this week.
Next week will be about the top 4 IMO.
I’d expect it to go the way you described as well, the point I was making was that if Parra somehow did back up the Broncos effort by rolling the Storm and knocking off the chooks it would be hard not to fear them. Fairly confident Chooks will be the GF participants from that side of the draw
The Broncos have been pathetic all year and should never had made the finals.
Your reading way too much into that game. Watch Melbourne cripple them next week.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Talking up the Eels after their win was like everyone talking up the Sharks after they had won a couple of games against mediocre teams. To a degree I think the Sharks believed the hype and at home Manly managed to surprise them. Eels ran through the donkeys and it was great to watch but the Storm won't lay down like that and I don't know if the Eels can match them in an arm wrestle or play as expansively as they did yesterday with far less time on the ball.

The Bunnies and Manly is a very interesting game. Manly do have the capacity to pull out very impressive performances at times and seem to relish being underdogs but I don't think the Sharks were as tough as they were made out to be. While the Bunnies got schooled one the weekend it was only a week before that they beat the Chooks by bashing them out of the game. We can only hope it is a brutal game in the middle with a golden point period that goes for 3-4 hours!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I was one who thought the Sharks were better than where they ended up. With that roster and taking inot account poor goal kicking, they should have been top 4.

What I was not aware of, was their poor record at Brookvale....5 wins since 1967? Is that even correct?!? Sheesh...when you think about it, Manly were always going to get them with that poor stat line.

I don't think Souths will be too troubled by Manly...lets see.

Melbourne will beat Parra comfortably IMO.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

pickles wrote:While the Bunnies got schooled one the weekend it was only a week before that they beat the Chooks by bashing them out of the game.
That game meant nothing to the Roosters. They gave as many asterisks as Raiders against Warriors. I wouldn’t base anything on that result.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

gangrenous wrote: September 16, 2019, 1:55 pm
pickles wrote:While the Bunnies got schooled one the weekend it was only a week before that they beat the Chooks by bashing them out of the game.
That game meant nothing to the Roosters. They gave as many asterisks as Raiders against Warriors. I wouldn’t base anything on that result.
I know Keary wasn't there but I don't agree that it meant nothing to them. It was a very physical game and from my perspective both teams played with intent. All it really showed me was how important Keary is to the Chooks. The result may not have mattered to them and clearly they had the capacity to take it up a few notches but Keary was a big part of that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

pickles wrote: September 16, 2019, 3:10 pm
I know Keary wasn't there but I don't agree that it meant nothing to them. It was a very physical game and from my perspective both teams played with intent. All it really showed me was how important Keary is to the Chooks. The result may not have mattered to them and clearly they had the capacity to take it up a few notches but Keary was a big part of that.
The game was very physical in the middle but a lot of that came from the reserves and fringe players taking their opportunity. Guys like Tedesco and Mitchell totally phoned it in. Cronk also looked like he was just going through an opposed training drill. The players that really mattered were keeping their powder dry for the following week. End result is there for all to see now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I used to be in the old 'bring it on, take all comers, prove ourselves against the best' brigade.

Now, after hearbreak after heartbreak, 25 year premiership drought, I couldn't care less.

Give us the easiest possible teams to face, with as many players out for the opposition as possible. As said, couldn't care less - I just want us to win. No one remembers that **** in time.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Northern Raider wrote: September 16, 2019, 3:19 pm
pickles wrote: September 16, 2019, 3:10 pm
The game was very physical in the middle but a lot of that came from the reserves and fringe players taking their opportunity. Guys like Tedesco and Mitchell totally phoned it in. Cronk also looked like he was just going through an opposed training drill. The players that really mattered were keeping their powder dry for the following week. End result is there for all to see now.
The Rooster also bombed about 5 tries in that game so if they had scored one or two of those they would have won comfortably. So yep, agree that chooks were not at their best and it showed last weekend.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:27 pm I used to be in the old 'bring it on, take all comers, prove ourselves against the best' brigade.

Now, after hearbreak after heartbreak, 25 year premiership drought, I couldn't care less.

Give us the easiest possible teams to face, with as many players out for the opposition as possible. As said, couldn't care less - I just want us to win. No one remembers that **** in time.
That's true..

No ones taking Manlys 40-0 beat up over Storm that year without Smith.

You beat the team put in front of you..

If the favourites don't make the big dance..tuff tuts.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Martini
Gary Coyne

Post by Martini »

Anyone else thought about how epic and intimidating it would be to have an organised Viking clap mid game at a tense moment to help the team win? From what I gather fans randomly do it mid game but the whole stadium doing it would be so epic!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It gets annoying when it's done all the time, like people did when it brought in

It's a pre and post game thing

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

-TW- wrote: September 16, 2019, 6:05 pm It gets annoying when it's done all the time, like people did when it brought in

It's a pre and post game thing

I would love to see some other chant other than “raiders clap clap clap” ringing around the stadium.

Imagine 25k fans singing ole ole ole ole, raiders etc or something of that ilk.
Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I remember going to games in the mid 00s where the RAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDEEEERRRSSS chant used to ring around