Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Gorilla
Alan Tongue
Posts: 668
Joined: July 29, 2009, 9:20 am
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart
Location: Canberra

Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Gorilla » September 11, 2019, 8:15 am

Didn't see it posted anywhere but apparently we are interested in CJ Mundine.

Race to sign Mundine Jr

Four NRL clubs are fighting a battle to sign one of the best prospects in rugby league - the son of former Dragons star and world boxing champion Anthony Mundine. CJ Mundine is 18 and starred for the Dragons as a utility back in this year's SG Ball competition.

The Dragons are desperate to keep Mundine junior but are facing stiff opposition from Canberra, the Bulldogs and Titans.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-a ... a0dd64633b

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9890
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by gangrenous » September 11, 2019, 8:51 am

Pass

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23085
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Northern Raider » September 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Would be great if he inherited the old man's talent. Hard pass if he inherited the attitude that comes with it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32177
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Matt » September 11, 2019, 9:07 am

Northern Raider wrote:
September 11, 2019, 8:59 am
Would be great if he inherited the old man's talent. Hard pass if he inherited the attitude that comes with it.
Ill 2nd this

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15317
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by yeh raiders » September 11, 2019, 10:49 am

Will Hopoate is a polar opposite to his old man.... there is hope for "CJ"

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6846
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by zim » September 11, 2019, 10:52 am

Yeah but his old man doesn't inject his profile into everything he can. You sign someone associated with Anthony you also get Anthony.

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15317
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by yeh raiders » September 11, 2019, 11:43 am

Yeah that’s true... CJ is probably already being told he’s the 2nd greatest league player of all time.

Ronny P
Sam Backo
Posts: 194
Joined: September 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Ronny P » September 11, 2019, 11:53 am

Retain from within. Bigger opportunities in our current 20’s than externals. Half of our 20’s side are a year young as it is.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3775
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by BJ » September 11, 2019, 12:24 pm

If his dads nickname is “The Man” does that make his nickname “The little man”?

User avatar
Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1952
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Coastalraider » September 11, 2019, 1:23 pm

BJ wrote:
September 11, 2019, 12:24 pm
If his dads nickname is “The Man” does that make his nickname “The little man”?
The boy??

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23085
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Northern Raider » September 11, 2019, 2:22 pm

Ronny P wrote:
September 11, 2019, 11:53 am
Retain from within. Bigger opportunities in our current 20’s than externals. Half of our 20’s side are a year young as it is.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
That's been a commonly held approach by our club for many years with very mediocre results. Broadened our recruitment reach in recent times and we're now in the top 4.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11004
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by cat » September 11, 2019, 3:50 pm

I didn't even know Anthony had a kid!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


Ronny P
Sam Backo
Posts: 194
Joined: September 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Ronny P » September 11, 2019, 4:23 pm

Do yourself a favour and go and watch what we have consistently. Maybe if these kids werent held back by the politics at mounties we would be getting somewhere. Interesting statement you make. Horsborough, Guler, Whighton, Croker, Young, Cotric, Kris ring a bell? Sorry if i missed any others. Majority of those in the past 2 years straight out of our juniors. Smith Sheilds is another one that will be added to that list in the next 12 months and there are potentially 5 or 6 others that are deserving of pre seasons and a year at mounties. Only outside recruiting that has worked for the top 4 are the English lads. Lets hope G Williams isn’t the exception!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6489
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by afgtnk » September 11, 2019, 4:33 pm

Ronny P wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
Do yourself a favour and go and watch what we have consistently. Maybe if these kids werent held back by the politics at mounties we would be getting somewhere. Interesting statement you make. Horsborough, Guler, Whighton, Croker, Young, Cotric, Kris ring a bell? Sorry if i missed any others. Majority of those in the past 2 years straight out of our juniors. Smith Sheilds is another one that will be added to that list in the next 12 months and there are potentially 5 or 6 others that are deserving of pre seasons and a year at mounties. Only outside recruiting that has worked for the top 4 are the English lads. Lets hope G Williams isn’t the exception!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Soliola
Lui
Tapine
Leilua
Rapana
CNK
Havili
Simonsson

You sure mate.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43664
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by The Rickman » September 11, 2019, 4:38 pm

afgtnk wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:33 pm
Ronny P wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
Do yourself a favour and go and watch what we have consistently. Maybe if these kids werent held back by the politics at mounties we would be getting somewhere. Interesting statement you make. Horsborough, Guler, Whighton, Croker, Young, Cotric, Kris ring a bell? Sorry if i missed any others. Majority of those in the past 2 years straight out of our juniors. Smith Sheilds is another one that will be added to that list in the next 12 months and there are potentially 5 or 6 others that are deserving of pre seasons and a year at mounties. Only outside recruiting that has worked for the top 4 are the English lads. Lets hope G Williams isn’t the exception!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Soliola
Lui
Tapine
Leilua
Rapana
CNK
Havili
Simonsson

You sure mate.
I enjoy that you left Sezer off the list while including Lui. Knocking old mate out of the park while remaining completely in character at the same time.

Respect.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Ronny P
Sam Backo
Posts: 194
Joined: September 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Ronny P » September 11, 2019, 4:38 pm

Sorry I am not “in the know”


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6489
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by afgtnk » September 11, 2019, 5:00 pm

The Rickman wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:38 pm
afgtnk wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:33 pm
Ronny P wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
Do yourself a favour and go and watch what we have consistently. Maybe if these kids werent held back by the politics at mounties we would be getting somewhere. Interesting statement you make. Horsborough, Guler, Whighton, Croker, Young, Cotric, Kris ring a bell? Sorry if i missed any others. Majority of those in the past 2 years straight out of our juniors. Smith Sheilds is another one that will be added to that list in the next 12 months and there are potentially 5 or 6 others that are deserving of pre seasons and a year at mounties. Only outside recruiting that has worked for the top 4 are the English lads. Lets hope G Williams isn’t the exception!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Soliola
Lui
Tapine
Leilua
Rapana
CNK
Havili
Simonsson

You sure mate.
I enjoy that you left Sezer off the list while including Lui. Knocking old mate out of the park while remaining completely in character at the same time.

Respect.
:lol:

I enjoy that you're so incredibly paranoid in your fanboism to even make this post. FTR, those I've listed are to me guys we've brought in from the outside who could be deemed as good value and therefore successful recruits.

I've left a couple others out who I think are either too early to pass judgement on or have proven not to be, which includes Sezer.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43664
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by The Rickman » September 11, 2019, 5:02 pm

No paranoia here, fam! I just think if most people were highlighting a list of recruits that contained Lui, Havili and Simonsson, they'd probably also include Sezer, but you do you, old friend.

You do you.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Ronny P
Sam Backo
Posts: 194
Joined: September 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Ronny P » September 11, 2019, 5:03 pm

afgtnk wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:38 pm
afgtnk wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:33 pm
Ronny P wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
Do yourself a favour and go and watch what we have consistently. Maybe if these kids werent held back by the politics at mounties we would be getting somewhere. Interesting statement you make. Horsborough, Guler, Whighton, Croker, Young, Cotric, Kris ring a bell? Sorry if i missed any others. Majority of those in the past 2 years straight out of our juniors. Smith Sheilds is another one that will be added to that list in the next 12 months and there are potentially 5 or 6 others that are deserving of pre seasons and a year at mounties. Only outside recruiting that has worked for the top 4 are the English lads. Lets hope G Williams isn’t the exception!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Soliola
Lui
Tapine
Leilua
Rapana
CNK
Havili
Simonsson

You sure mate.
I enjoy that you left Sezer off the list while including Lui. Knocking old mate out of the park while remaining completely in character at the same time.

Respect.
:lol:

I enjoy that you're so incredibly paranoid in your fanboism to even make this post. FTR, those I've listed are to me guys we've brought in from the outside who could be deemed as good value and therefore successful recruits.

I've left a couple others out who I think are either too early to pass judgement on or have proven not to be, which includes Sezer.
Not that i want to get into the middle of the banter but just curious on how many 20’s games you have seen this year?


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
afgtnk
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6489
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by afgtnk » September 11, 2019, 5:05 pm

Ronny P wrote:
September 11, 2019, 5:03 pm
afgtnk wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:38 pm
afgtnk wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:33 pm
Ronny P wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
Do yourself a favour and go and watch what we have consistently. Maybe if these kids werent held back by the politics at mounties we would be getting somewhere. Interesting statement you make. Horsborough, Guler, Whighton, Croker, Young, Cotric, Kris ring a bell? Sorry if i missed any others. Majority of those in the past 2 years straight out of our juniors. Smith Sheilds is another one that will be added to that list in the next 12 months and there are potentially 5 or 6 others that are deserving of pre seasons and a year at mounties. Only outside recruiting that has worked for the top 4 are the English lads. Lets hope G Williams isn’t the exception!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Soliola
Lui
Tapine
Leilua
Rapana
CNK
Havili
Simonsson

You sure mate.
I enjoy that you left Sezer off the list while including Lui. Knocking old mate out of the park while remaining completely in character at the same time.

Respect.
:lol:

I enjoy that you're so incredibly paranoid in your fanboism to even make this post. FTR, those I've listed are to me guys we've brought in from the outside who could be deemed as good value and therefore successful recruits.

I've left a couple others out who I think are either too early to pass judgement on or have proven not to be, which includes Sezer.
Not that i want to get into the middle of the banter but just curious on how many 20’s games you have seen this year?


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Not many, if any.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43664
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by The Rickman » September 11, 2019, 5:07 pm

It is quality banter I must admit, I do love me some afhfghjknnmwowrthfsdg
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Ronny P
Sam Backo
Posts: 194
Joined: September 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Ronny P » September 11, 2019, 5:11 pm

Gold!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

MrPosh
Noa Nadruku
Posts: 170
Joined: June 24, 2016, 5:39 am
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by MrPosh » September 11, 2019, 5:12 pm

zim wrote:
September 11, 2019, 10:52 am
Yeah but his old man doesn't inject his profile into everything he can.
I thought that's all that John Hopoate remains famous for?

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6846
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by zim » September 11, 2019, 5:42 pm

MrPosh wrote:
September 11, 2019, 5:12 pm
zim wrote:
September 11, 2019, 10:52 am
Yeah but his old man doesn't inject his profile into everything he can.
I thought that's all that John Hopoate remains famous for?
Touche :lol:

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8158
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Roger Kenworthy » September 11, 2019, 6:09 pm

All for Mundine and helicopter father Anthony joining the green. The GH is such a balanced and considered forum, it needs a bit more drama added into the mix.

raiderskater
David Furner
Posts: 3256
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by raiderskater » September 11, 2019, 7:13 pm

I'm sure the kid is talented, he might even be a nice kid. But his father will come with him and I don't want that absolute stain of a human being anywhere near our club.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

FROG
Dean Lance
Posts: 873
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by FROG » September 11, 2019, 7:26 pm

Ronny P wrote:
September 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
Do yourself a favour and go and watch what we have consistently. Maybe if these kids werent held back by the politics at mounties we would be getting somewhere. Interesting statement you make. Horsborough, Guler, Whighton, Croker, Young, Cotric, Kris ring a bell? Sorry if i missed any others. Majority of those in the past 2 years straight out of our juniors. Smith Sheilds is another one that will be added to that list in the next 12 months and there are potentially 5 or 6 others that are deserving of pre seasons and a year at mounties. Only outside recruiting that has worked for the top 4 are the English lads. Lets hope G Williams isn’t the exception!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
You do know that Horsburgh was a cowboys jr, Guler was a bunnies jr and young was a knights jr right?

Ronny P
Sam Backo
Posts: 194
Joined: September 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Ronny P » September 11, 2019, 7:41 pm

All played 20’s here


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2790
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Billy Walker » September 11, 2019, 7:58 pm

The Rickman wrote:
September 11, 2019, 5:07 pm
It is quality banter I must admit, I do love me some afhfghjknnmwowrthfsdg
I did get a chuckle out of that exchange.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13233
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by bonehead » September 11, 2019, 8:46 pm

raiderskater wrote:I'm sure the kid is talented, he might even be a nice kid. But his father will come with him and I don't want that absolute stain of a human being anywhere near our club.
Think of him like Alice Cooper, it's an act/character he plays to stay in the limelight- he's actually an incredible man doing amazing things behind the spotlight.
Very very clever, everyone needs a villain.
Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21745
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Seiffert82 » September 11, 2019, 9:11 pm

Interesting. Mundine has always been close to our club for whatever reason. I'm sure the kid is on our radar because his old man rates us highly.

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9890
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by gangrenous » September 11, 2019, 9:37 pm

bonehead wrote: Very very clever, everyone needs a villain.
Is it clever?

I think only half of it’s an act. And it’s not a clever one.

Cranky Old Man
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 928
Joined: February 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Cranky Old Man » September 11, 2019, 10:21 pm

Its an act. He is very smart, and he is a very good citizen.

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9890
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by gangrenous » September 11, 2019, 10:26 pm

"I beleive it's a choice, everything is a choice," he said, before adding that "if you are going to be gay, do it behind closed doors, that is how it used to be."

"If we were to live in a society, just like in Aboriginal culture, that homosexuality is forbidden and you do it and the consequences are capital punishment or death, you think you are going to do it? Or think twice about doing it? Hell no.

"That's the only way to deter the problem... they're not going to be happy until they have primary school kids being gay."

Oh yeah. He’s a marvellous citizen

You’re almost always on the money COM. But well wide of the mark here...

Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1236
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Canberra Raiders in the race to sign CJ Mundine

Post by Neeeegz » September 11, 2019, 10:59 pm

Not keen
Last edited by Neeeegz on September 11, 2019, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply